86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 02:46 PM

Received 99 Likes on 70 Posts
I'm glad you are spending the summer at home. You've sure done your part!
Old 04-11-2013, 02:56 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey , mister!.........HOOAH! (as a shout of relief, in this particular instance! Lol)

Where you at!?!?
Old 04-14-2013, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Thanks kornhuskerwizard...The kiddos are glad to see me staying home. My youngest was having the toughest time of me going as he remebers the last time.

Thanks Redeth005... I can finally start planing my summer.

Thanks Cyberhorn... I have a couple of other guys thinking of doing the same thing with some junk parts that they have laying around.

Hello Mark.. It is a relief. I have been over there several times and would go again if I had to but I have had some close calls over there and know a few that didnt come back and really dont want to keep pushing my luck.

Haha Jason...It is just Terrys87 out on another Sunday afternoon drive. Crunchhh!!,thru the wall. Actually I have been really fortunate with my driving and have only had two minor fender benders. One I got a telephone pole and then bumped a girls rear bumper. $800 repair and she didnt think it had any damage.

Thanks 86Toy...Just as soon as it gets warm and stays warm, I should have alot going on. Been getting alot of other things wrapped up so I can focus on the trucks. I have another build https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f198...rusher-263813/ Once I get the 86 extra cab painted, I am doing a complete tear down on the 85. I am going to try my best to show how to tear one down and actually get it back up and on the road. I really think I can have it on the road by summers end. It is starting out slow but it will take off here in a month or so. I am just down to carpet, upholstery, rear bumper and some odds and ends on the 86 Runner. It will never be done but the major things are and just waiting on funds to get it to where I want it to be. The 86 Runner should be something I hope is really sharp when I get done with it, I hope anyways.

Thanks Nervo19... I am looking forward to this summer. It has done me some good being away from home. I am really grateful for what I have. Wife says I am never in a bad mood. Living conditions over there reminds me of how nice it is just having the basic luxuries we have and just being able to relax.

Hello Mark...I am thinking things are finally settling down to where I can get back to doing the things I enjoy. That night I talked to you after that I was 30 some hours of no sleep and still had a few busy days after that. I was beat. Things should get back to normal here real soon.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I got to do some work on the trucks. I had to change out a leaking Master Cylinder for the brakes on the 88 and then I did start getting the frame cleaned and the dirt from out of underneathth truck so when I do start painting, dust will be one less issue to deal with from getting into the paint.I have seen where cleaning a truck before painting sometimes isnt thought of but it can come back and bite you in the rear at a later time.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:29 PM

CLEAN THAT SUCKA! lol... Seriously, people LIKE working on my rig with me... it's REALLY clean most everywhere, hahaha. I can't wait to see what's next man... And i mean it, AMEN on the staying home!!!! WOOT!!!! CONGRATZ!
Old 04-14-2013, 08:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yay were back to work!
Old 04-14-2013, 08:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrys87
I got to do some work on the trucks. I had to change out a leaking Master Cylinder for the brakes on the 88 and then I did start getting the frame cleaned and the dirt from out of underneathth truck so when I do start painting, dust will be one less issue to deal with from getting into the paint.I have seen where cleaning a truck before painting sometimes isnt thought of but it can come back and bite you in the rear at a later time.

mean green degreaser at wally world cheap AN majorly effective without loads of scrubbing even Kris work picked it up because of what i did on my truck with it they cleaned a 20yr old wolf range filled with grease an such with one application an some rubbing
Old 04-17-2013, 12:29 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Mark..Sometimes I get on the lazy side and have my oil changed or exhaust work and get compliments from the workers. I also think that it helps to prevent getting scammed as when they find out that I am capable of changing my own oil that they are not going to pull a fast one on me.

Onetime I had a guy thinking that since I could not change my own oil on Mistys runner that he could offer all kinds of services. Topping fluids,wiper blades,air filter and seems like something else. The cost was really high. I really try and not to be rude but knew it was a scam and wondered how many others he had gotten some extra dollars out of. I did get rude and embrassed him in front of other customers when I was done. One of his workers seen how clean it was under there and started asking questions and when I told him the condition it was in and what I have done to it figured out that I was probably capable of changing my own oil but it being cold, it just wasnt worth it to me that day.

The black extra cab at the top of this page is being done by a friend of mine. The owner asked me if I could or knew some one who could swap motors as he was getting some crazy high price quotes on it. Literally thousands of dollars. I would of helped him do it or done it myself but my shop isnt big enough and he isnt able to get on the time to come down and do it and at the time I wasnt sure if I was going on a year long vacation.

Hello Redeth005... I might get to do some work on the trucks tomorrow and then we are down to freezing again for the next few days. I will try and get some good pics of the body work for you and try to pass on some tips that hope might show you that you can do it.

Hello Cyberhorn...That is the next thing I get to do is clean the carpet now. Luckily there isnt awhole lot on it. I will get some meangreen. Thanks. I plan on getting those bolts out to you Thursday or Friday.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:37 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Originally Posted by kornhuskerwizard
nice work Terry!! You have a knack for explaining body work to the uneducated!

You could be like a college instructor body man!!
Thanks kornhuskerwizard...Some how I missed your post and when scanning my page I just seen it. It is a personal pet peeve of mine to miss not answering or responding to someones post on my thread. It is just something that chaps my rearend when I miss one. If someone one takes the time to read what I have put up, I should atleast acknowledge it.

Actually you probably cant tell by my writing as I am not always able to get the ideas across in words but teaching is something I am actually good at and do enjoy. I figure if I can understand it, anybody else should be able to understand it. lol... I have had a couple of bosses in the past to say I am able to teach something but couldnt write a resume for squat. They are right. Luckily I was hired by word of mouth and not a piece of paper.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:15 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I was hoping to get to work on the trucks today, but Misty took a fall awhile back and today it caught up with her. She got her back all out of whack and wasnt able to move around. For some reason our normal chiropractor was not working today and I had to take her to another one. She was starting to have headaches and back pains and the chiropractor I found today for her seemed to have done a great job. She had never been to a chiropractor until we got together. Just thought I would mention this that if you have several headaches or back aches sometimes a chiropractor can do wonders for you. You have to watch out for them as well. There are some good ones out there and then there are scammers.

While she was off of work today, she found out that I had been doing some body work on the 86 and she has been wanting to try and help me on this truck and my 85 and was disappointed that I had started without her on it. I told her there would be plenty left to do. She also mentioned that she is wanting to try do some priming but is a little intimidated about painting. She has seen me do enough priming to know that even if you make a mistake on priming that it is no big deal to go back and do it right.

When I do have her to do some priming I will have her to intentionally to run some primer and then go back and redo it right. Sometimes you learn best from your mistakes on the first time and it takes the fear out of doing body work. I will post that when I get to that stage. When helping Jason on painting his runner, I had his son to intentionally to run some primer and showed how easy it was to fix as most primer gets sanded back off anyways and it seemed to take the fear out of it for him as well.

Yesterday was a great day to work on the trucks but doing the doctor thing took care of that. Today is supposed to be a great day so I am having hopes of getting something done. Then we dip down to below freezing again tonite.grrrr.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:17 AM

Sorry bout yer honey's back.... can totally relate!

Chiropractic has literally saved me from madness from 4 6mm inward herniated discs and actually helped me train the muscles around it til stronger so the inflamation can remain minimal! Migraines can COME from chiropra c tic as well, as tons of toxins are released when you are unlocked. Nitrogen as well, like popping knuckles, lol.

Cool on the priming!
Old 04-17-2013, 11:55 AM

no worries on the bolt terry YAY she wants to help

ow on the hurts ihope things go well
Old 04-18-2013, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Mark.. She is feeling alot better and was able to go to work today. She rarely gets any headaches now. Chiroprator has made a huge difference in her life. I didnt know it could cause migraines but am guessing once our body gets readjusted that things should get back to normal.

She is looking forward to priming. She is starting to like the idea of making a truck to the way you want it instead of buying one and hoping it has the colors and options that come on one. I myself am an orginal or purist guy. One reason that I like to take junk and make something out of it and it isnt like I am destroying the value of it. Value was already destroyed when I got it and most would of destroyed the truck in the begin with.lol

Thanks Cyberhorn..Things are getting back to normal again. She is getting back to her mouthy self.lol We are always joking around and she has a way of mocking me and does a really good job of it that I get a good laugh from it. She is feeling alot better, but know that you mention it, it was a lot quieter when she wasnt feeling so well.hmmm???
Old 04-18-2013, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Things are cold, wet and miserabel outside. We had a tornado in our area last nite and just going out to the shop to get some basic tools was colder then I wanted to mess with. But I wanted to get something done today. Better weather is coming soon and I want to do the things I can do that require to be outside when it does get here.

I got Toms SR5 guage from him yesterday and wanted to get the mileage corrected and the face plate is cracked. Figured it would be something that I could do inside the house. Besides the wife doesnt mind and care when she is at work and doesnt know I am doing it inside the house

Here is his SR5 Guage. Has three cracks in it. The clock below is one I got from him as well and will see if I can install it at a later time. I have seen a clock in a truck before and always thought that someone took it from another Toyota model and put it in. But Tom had this in a parts truck and now I am wondering if it wasnt an option. I seen the same clock as well. I figured that since the clock option was always by the heater control, Toyota wouldnt offer it elsewhere.

Cracked faceplate.
Name:  tach10_zpsda1ec82a.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  45.8 KB

Standard guage.
Name:  tach14_zpse5b84e8b.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  35.7 KB

The SR5 Guage just has two lines that run on the ends of it. I gently took a flat blade screwdriver and seperated the plastic from the black part on both covers. The SR5 plastic has a little rubber grommet and the hole for the tripometer is quite large. I just put the two covers on top each other and used the grommet as a guide and drilled the hole.
Name:  tach15_zps3af799a8.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  48.1 KB

The two covers are stacked on top of each other with the SR5 on top. Doesnt look like it but it is there. I then drilled the hole and when I got the hole I did several test fits and seeing which way I needed to enlarge the hole for the tripometer handle to reconnect and have plenty of room to operate.
Name:  tach13_zps37a133f3.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  41.2 KB

Here it is with the Standard Cover on a SR5 Gauge. I just used Super Glue to reseat the cover on. I also got the mileage corrected while working on the guage assembly. One set back is while trying to get the needle off, it broke. It was being stubborn. I worked it gently for 30 minutes and it still wouldnt come until SNAP. I am not worried. I do have another guage, but Jason is sending me one that is bad but the speedometer is good. One small setback.
Name:  tach16_zpse795712e.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  61.3 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 04-18-2013 at 08:55 AM.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I use my 88 Runner thread alot for myself to refer back to for information and was surprised I didnt have more on doing the guage swap. I am posting it here so I can update it and add to it and will eventually move this info to the 88 Runner build.

I wanted to put my SR5 Guage in and got to looking at it and wanted it cleaner. Remove the tabs that screw the cluster to the dash to get the lense off.

SR5 Guage Swap info from iamsuperbleeder.. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...06/index2.html

Name:  CleaningCluster.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  29.9 KB

I used a lense cleaner to clean it up.
Name:  Lensecleaner.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  31.7 KB

I am quite happy with the results. The label says to allow up to 24 hours for the lense coating to dry. Will have to wait and see final results. Either way I am stuck with it. I have it tilted to avoid a glare while taking the picture. No matter how hard I tried, just couldnt get a good pic without the glare.
Name:  Drying.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  44.7 KB

SR5 Guage Swap
Here is the Guage. I will address the cracks later.
Name:  tach10_zpsda1ec82a.jpg
Views: 36

Remove this screw and the bracket faces forward and same for other side.
Name:  tach9_zpsab4ca5a7.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  43.2 KB

You have 4 tabs on top and 4 on bottom. I find it easier to start on one end and get the first one loose and then pry it slightly with a flat blade and then do the next tab. Same for the bottom.
Name:  tach8_zps86943d21.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  33.8 KB

These 4 screws hold the Speedometer in the cluster. Will need to remove cluster to correct the mileage.
Name:  tach5_zpsbe0744b7.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  50.8 KB

Here is whole assembly out. Also the Tripometer needle is taken out by spinning the whole handle to the left.
Name:  tach4-1_zpsa8872208.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  57.2 KB

On this style of needle the round cover over the needle can and will pop off. It is just pushed back on.Tripometer handle I am talking about that I am holding.
Name:  tach7_zps45745549.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  54.3 KB

Here is cover I am talking about.
Name:  tach6_zps7d77b67b.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  49.4 KB

I loosen the two screws showing just a little to make it easier to correct the mileage. Start at the far right or the lowest number and work your way to the highest number and then retighten the screws. Also I dont mess with the tenth setting. It is tight and you might break it. Leave it alone in my opinion. When changing the numbers, twist them downward.
Name:  tach3-1_zps673e84ef.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  61.9 KB

Reinstall the plastic cover.
Name:  tach12_zps60f419b4.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  73.4 KB

Then the faceplate and the two screws holding it.
Name:  tach11_zpsb267c639.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  62.0 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 04-18-2013 at 08:53 AM.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lol. Back to her mouthing self haha that cracked me up. Glad the wife is feeling better and ain't it awesome that she wants to help out with the truck. I know I like that about my girl. Even if she doesn't help she still likes watching and learning.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:57 PM

good to hear shes feelin better ..literally... LOL

terry how hard is it to replace the oil gauge? about the same?
Old 04-18-2013, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
good to hear shes feelin better ..literally... LOL

terry how hard is it to replace the oil gauge? about the same?
I know you asked terry but i know the answer and that dont happen often lol, changing the oil gauge is not complicated however you have to do the temp gauge as well because they are conected. But it all comes apart very easy.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by jason in tn
I know you asked terry but i know the answer and that dont happen often lol, changing the oil gauge is not complicated however you have to do the temp gauge as well because they are conected. But it all comes apart very easy.
dang i was afraid of that temp gauge works but so far not the oil i need to check the wire for continuity i got the dash LED lights in the right way so now got check engine 4x4 and backdoor lit up

book ive got says its 3/12 (connector /pin) Yellow black wire i have to check it see if its good

i didnt see any changes to the connectors for these style sr5 gauges only the tach adjustment if it came from a v6
Old 04-20-2013, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Redeth005...Lol.. Being married is fun. Having a sense of humor goes along ways. We are always joking around and sometimes she does help. She is starting to see what I can see in a truck. That all I really need is a cab and frame and I go make it into what I want with in reason.

Thanks Jason... That is something I took apart on a bad guage but never reinstalled it as the guage was bad. Been along time since I done anything like that.

Thanks Cyberhorn... She is getting back to her normal self. Wasnt that long ago that I pulled a back muscle and was down for a few days. Old age is for the birds. I dont want to get any older. I use to recover so fast.

The Oil and Water Guage come together as a set. I priced those two pieces and they sell them as one unit. Seems $119 was what they charged. You will need to swap for the large sending unit. The connections are all the same. It is a 50/50 chance that the tach will work. If it doesnt work, you will need to run a wire from the negative side of the coil to a certain spot on the rear of the cluster. Show in picture below. This was on a carbed truck, but I have had to do this on EFI as well. Seems like some are wired and some are not.
I am starting on getting the tach working. I found this on getting the tach wired up if it doesnt have the factory wiring. I will post good pics if this works.
LINK>>>> I found http://www.siestaoffroad.com/clustertech.html

Back of guage is marked with a "p".
Name:  tach1-1.jpg
Views: 61

This connection for the negative off of coil. A little different from the typical coil. I just stuck the wire into the slot.
Name:  tach2.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  78.2 KB

Quick Reply: Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance