86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I am still working on getting my air leaks fixed. I got my rear window seal in and that did help alot. Finally got all of my big interior side panels in and now it is just the small trim. Getting with each little fix, it is making a small but more notceable difference.

Just cant wait to get some nice tires,shocks,and Zuk Mod and think that is what I am lacking to get this truck to where I will truly enjoy driving it and know what possibilities it does hold.

Another thing I did is from Mark, Rad, Jason and others. I know good electrical connections is necessary but something just never really considered until I did it to the 88 Runner is clean and put silicone on all electrical connections. Might just be in my mind, but it does seem to fire up just a little bit quicker and a run a tad better.

Electrical silicone on as many connections as I could get to. I am going to start using this stuff alot more often.
Name:  silicongrease1.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  65.6 KB
Old 01-16-2013, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Still have alot of small things to get done. But with this cold weather, I am just in slow motion. Saturday is looking like I might get to get the trannyback in the 88 Runner as the weather is supposed to be descent. I have started a build thread on the 85 Extra cab and as soon as I get the list below done and Mistys tranny back in I will start tearing down one of the motors I have for it.

Reminder for me. Nothing major, just needs a little time. Will probably be a month before I get carpet and then I will start working on the seats. I am trying to talk a guy into selling me a nice set of seats. Runner is starting to feel and drive like the truck that I know it can be.

Window crank.
Replace passenger window.
Install front valance.
Extend wires.
Look into fuel guage issue.
Finish tailgate.
Install front speakers.
Center Steering wheel and horn cover.
Install light divider.
Install kick panels.
Find air leak below stereo.
Cigarette lighter for the Garmin.
Adjust hood.
Install mirors from 85 til I get the mirrors I need.
Order O2 Sensor.
Install front mudflap.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:02 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I love reading your threads. Great pictures. Forward progress.
One of my inspirations here.

You ever get up towards St Louis?
Old 01-16-2013, 03:29 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Good job with the map pocket installation. Here's another way to do that type of hole marking for anything else in the future. I did this for a rear spoiler on my camry...more work but less chance of poking yourself

Masking tape over the piece and poke the holes:

Name:  IMG_0422.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  145.5 KB

Then position it wherever you need to:

Name:  IMG_0424.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  116.9 KB

Then tape down the excess so it stay in place when you pull off the piece:

Name:  IMG_0425.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  122.1 KB

Then you can drill the holes:

Name:  IMG_0426.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  110.0 KB
Old 01-17-2013, 07:47 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks HighLux...I try to pass on information that I find that works for me. I was in St. Louis about 9 months ago and do get up there once in awhile. You ever get down around the Joplin area? I almost made a run to meet with mightymouse to get a tranny just recently and wound up finding one down here. I eventually would like to get that way to get some hard to find parts.

Thanks Grego92...That is a good idea on getting the holes lined up. I can read a tape measure down to the smallest increments, but somehow my holes just dont line up. I like your way of doing it and sure someone on here will benefit from it just well. Thanks for putting that up.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I went over 800 miles on my runner since getting it running and thought I finally had the bugs worked out. Got to 847 miles and got hit with a double whammy. I left from work Saturday morning and see a little antifreeze on the ground and seen the radiator has a small leak in it. Probably from me flexing the body when I removed the body lift.

I got a mile from my job and a awful noise started uner the hood. At first I thought the motor was about to explode on me. Turned out to be the water pump shaft just started flopping around. So I was able to limp it back to work and a friend ran me to the parts store and I replaced the water pump at work.

Got half way home and then the Brake Master Cylinder just gave up as well. I got a new Master Cylinder, just need to get it installed. Other then these few little issues, truck has been running great, so I am very glad to have it where it is at up to this point. Wont take much to get the radiator fixed and MC swapped out.

I have still been steadily working on small interior pieces but with this cold, I just feel like I am in slow motion. Shouldnt take nearly as long as some of the small things I am doing to get done, but when I get cold, I just dont have the intrest in being out there. Then again I have been tied up with 1500 other things but they are about to get wrapped up so I am thinking next week should be alot better, or so I hope.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:17 AM

Received 670 Likes on 459 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrys87
I went over 800 miles on my runner ... radiator ......water pump shaft ... the Brake Master Cylinder just gave up as well...
Sorry about all that, Terry. T least you have a garage and the right equipment to do them yourself. I would have to take mine to shop if I have mechanical breakdowns like that
Old 01-21-2013, 12:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
sheesh terry bad runner your not supposed to do these things

RAD when i was driving my 79 all the time i kept a small tool kit under the seat a 1/4in drive ratchet some sockets (8 10 11 12) and a couple extensions, small crescent wrench, two screwdrivers (philips an std) and needle nose pliers that got me back on the road from most any failure lost a water pump an all i needed was a quick ride to the parts store
Old 01-26-2013, 02:09 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello RAD.. I am fortunate enough to have a shop and that helps. I need to get off of my back side and get it insulated which will start to happen. That was my faul=lt for putting it off so guess it bit me in the butt on this one.

LOL Cyberhorn.. I was surprised as well but then again I didn stick new parts in when I put it back together so it is to be expected. When I first started working on these trucks, that was about the tools I started out with. It was a very basic tool set and not much more then what you mentioned to RAD but it worked. Evne my body work tools is basic. I would say supplies probably cost more then the tools.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:18 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Cyberhorn just reminded me, I have been helping this friend of mine doing is 98 Dodge Extende cab on getting all of the dents out. We both got alot of time involved in it and he has spent alot on a new dash, grill, upgrades and other pieces. Friday he was going thru a green light and got tboned. All of that work just went down the drain. He really liked this truck but it is beyond our ability and cost to fix it isnt worth it.

When I have an old bomber that I dont care for, everybody avoids it like the plague, but one that I dont want touched I really get worried. A while back I parked way out of the way so as not to get door dings all by myself. Some guy in a 2 year old Corvette that was worth alot more then mine just had to park next to me when there was 500 other parking areas. I just scratched my head wondering what he was thinking.

I got my runner just about on the road. I need to change the drivers rear wheel brake cylinder and it should be in today so it will be back on the road. Dont have any pics but I did swap out my 2 front rims so that solved my fender rubbing. Still need to get the rear wheels swapped. Been tied up alot lately but hopng to get caught up on some threads soon.

Last edited by Terrys87; 01-26-2013 at 02:20 AM.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea Terry sounds like my luck!! Sounds like you have things under control. Good job. Still burnin wood in the garage here although it did reach a high of 50 yesterday. I spotted a 02 std cab shortbox 4x4 w 89k miles 2.7 w 5spd no rust super clean inside n out and the guy uses it to haul leaves n the fall. HIS BEATER he calls it!! Im like please sell this thing to me!! He hasnt budged yet but i think he will and i have this $7000 number in my head which i think hell take.It sits behind his house hidden and he drives a newer 4x4 toy for dd. Its a beige color dx with black trim SCHWEEEET!!!
Old 01-26-2013, 09:29 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Terry, why not a potbelly in the work shop? My vex's uncle in Big Bear has one in his house that is not huge, but is sooooooo effective! Or do u have that already? It wud get too hot in a 2 bedroom cabin from that thing if u overdid the BURN!

Sorry bout the breakage...... but good thing it happened near enough to work, right??? Wow, thats a good thing! Told ya on my thread, "water pump anyone?", cheap, and I guess she heard me bubba! Lol.

Toys do that... replaced water pump due to noise like screaming bag of baby kittens, then 2 days later, radiator was overwheed by the new FLOWBILITY! Lol, and during that drama of too much pressure, a heater core hose got leaky, lol. I , call them Toyota Chain Reaction Syndrome. They are such a solid lil ship..... but a very TIGHT ship as well.... , so when something goes crappy, the crappy avalanche is set into motion! Hehehe
Old 01-26-2013, 10:21 AM

Received 670 Likes on 459 Posts
Originally Posted by Grego92
Masking tape over the piece and poke the holes:
Good tip! Need that for m roofrack install

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Terry, why not a potbelly in the work shop?
I prefer old-school where it works, like our classic runners, and yeah pot-belly stove is one of them. So efficient.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:54 AM

I know, RAD, ..... that thing in his house was INCREDIBLY efficient... You could burn around 10# of Iron Wood and it would last 24 hours or more(Iron wood is 5 times as dense as Oak, for example.... Stuff is GOLD in the Angeles Crest! I've had fires with it and put them under, then come back 4 days later to find it still hot, dug it up, stoked it, POOF, still burned! It's like ALMOST petrified wood with super high concentrated pinon. ).... And ALSO, that lil bit would heat the whole house, ....just amazing!

Old School FTW! lol.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:41 AM

our shop we used an old water heater (1950'sIsh) heavy steel walls pipes (3in fence posts) welded through the upper part to heat up in the flames an blow air through works great but uses wood like an old 49 chevy does gas! the shop has no insulation an five six min after the fire dies down in the stove its cold as outside again lol
Old 02-01-2013, 05:29 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello kornhuskerwizard...I am doing the oppisite. I am trying to buy a rust bucket.lol.. It still has alot of good parts on it and hoping to get it for cheap. I will post a pic below.

Hello Mark.. A wood stove holds the heat in and heats quick. I am going to have something next winter. I got the chain reaction on the water pump, but it overall adds confidence to my truck as I know it has all new parts and wont be having any problems from that area anytime soon.

Hello RAD4Runner..Old school works best on just about anything and everything.

Hello Cyberhorn.. We have a box that install on the stovepipe called a Magic heat. Has alot of tubes and it catches the escaping fumes and adds that much more heat. I could be made fairly easily. They work great as well.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:47 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Its been cold around here and I just got a call recently from Uncle Sam to go work on my suntan overseas. Not exactly thrilled with the idea as it will be my seventh time since the tail end of Desert Storm and I just got back from there 2 years ago. Have spent the last few days getting different things done and then I had an EKG done and it raised some questions about my heart. I have always had a heart murmur and never caused any problems before so now I get to do some more test to find out for sure if I stay or go. Really doesnt matter to me either way where I stay or go, I would just like to know one way or the other so I can go on about my plans. That will be keeping me busy for a few more days.

I went to the boneyard and got me a set of SR5 rims for my runner as I have 3 sets of rims but all 3 of them are missing a rim. The ones I have on now are to wide and rub the fenders and knocked off one of my mudflaps when I took the lift off. Stll need to get them mounted.

I thought I had found a frame for Highlux but the yard workers rearranged the yard and ripped the spring hanger off of the frame and I found some rust on the frame that I dont feel it would make him a good frame. It does have an SR5 guage in it (79-83 model) if some one wants it. They want $50 for it and what ever it cost to ship, I will get it for them. Highluxs has first dibs on it.

SR5 Rims for my truck.
Name:  Rims1_zps89ece9b1.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  120.4 KB

A rust bucket that I have asked about buying. It is worse then what it looks but does have alot of parts that I would like to have for both of our runners and parts for my 85 Extra cab. Also had seen this paint pattern before or if it was added. I didnt realize how blurry the pic was til I got home and it was to late to get another.
Name:  rims2_zpsaff2e968.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  120.6 KB
Old 02-01-2013, 09:34 AM

Wow, thats a good find on the rims! Congrats.... cant wait to see her in her 1st shoes again, curious how she will look after the new skin
Old 02-01-2013, 10:54 AM

those are nice rims on that rust bucket one they the normal size terry?
hmm sr5 wheel chrome chrome door handles

Last edited by Cyberhorn The Dragon; 02-02-2013 at 11:38 AM.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those rims should fix your rubbing problem. Bummer on ripping off your mudflap. That 4runner looks like its got cancer pretty bad, typical though probalbly seen alota salt on the road. I also believe i have a earlier sr5 gauge cluster, the matching inclinometer also. I would like to put sr5 cluster in my 4runner build. Also want a gauge pod pillar.

Quick Reply: Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance