86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 06:00 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Hello Ed.. It is nice to be driving it on a daily basis. Just the little things that are taking so long to get accomplished but I figure in a week or two, all of those should be done with. Doesnt even feel or act like the same truck that I started with.

Hello kornhuskerwizard.. We are going to be that much warmer ourselves. We already had our high today of 48 and it is dropping quick. Yesterday was 68 but I had to spend all day on the road. I wanted to get alot done, got nothing done.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:08 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I dont want to have to cut my floor to get my transfer case in low and really dont like the idea of having to jump up into a truck. I like seeing one raised up and in the air, just not mine. So I removed my 2 inch lift kit. I wasnt properly installed and was missing some pieces. I also think it makes my 31 inch tires look smaller.

That all went good. Made sure to check my fuel lines and steering linkage and that was okay. Went to do a hard turn in reverse and the tire caught my drivers front mudflap. So now I am looking at doing a one inch lift.

It does show the saggy butt on it a little more then when it had the lift on it. I will be doing the ZUK mod soon. Been working on getting the interior pieces rounded up. Not many boxes left. It was getting confusing keeping my brothers truck pieces, my 86 Runner and the truck separated. Now I am almost down to the trucks pieces and its boxes.

No lift, I will try a one inch lift.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:20 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Also I only have one first gen side pocket. Looking at it is alot smaller then the second gen side pockets. Since I have carpet on the bottom of my panels, I am trying to come up with a way to mark where I need to put holes in the panels to mount the pockets.

I think I will try using some finishing nails to locate where I need to mount the pockets. Those first gen pockets are just to small to hold all of the things I like to carry.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
terry could you cut the 2in lift blocks down to 1 inch? saving you money they are just solid rubber other than the one you made from tubing
Old 01-12-2013, 02:59 PM

Received 670 Likes on 459 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrys87
No lift, I will try a one inch lift.
Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
terry could you cut the 2in lift blocks down to 1 inch? saving you money they are just solid rubber other than the one you made from tubing
Hi Terry, where are you planning to put a lift. Rear? A lift block will only raise body - look good- but not improve ride. I started with 7.75" bottom of frame to top of leaf pack, Zuk'd with 12-inch, 125 lb/inch Black Magic springs and got perfect lift on rear. No rake. Rides sooo sweeeet! My truck's all stock. Based on that info, you should be able to estimate resulting lift using same springs.
Before:

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 01-12-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeh what rad4runner says terry!! i think youd be settin good then
Old 01-13-2013, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Cyberhorn.. I think that is what I am going to have to do to get around this problem. I think it looks better without the 2 inch lift but one inch shouldnt be noticeable and affect anything.

Hello Rad4runner..It is on the front end. I have done the Zuk mod on my other runner and what a great difference it made. I agree with you as when you start blocking, it mess with the factorys settings, and then it usually goes down hill from there.

Hello kornhuskerwizard... The Zuk mod doesnt mess withany settings and before I did it on Mistys truck, every bounce was bonejarring. It is a great fix to real common problem.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Here is the problem I am having. It isnt showing that well, but when I back up at a hard trun, it barely catches the fender, when the mudflap was on, it ripped out one of the screws and it mounting tab. It also buckled the bottom side of the fender and I was able to work it back out that no one will ever notice. I have never had problem running 31 inch tires on Mistys Runner or any of the other numerous trucks I have had in the past.

Where it is rubbing on the front. I am going to try the inch lift. Any other suggestions? Really dont want to do balljoint spacers.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

In the above picture, we got freezing rain and then a light dusting of snow. In some places where the snow had blown off or turn into ice. I got to try the 4 wheel drive out and it seemed to work great. I need to check into why my 4WD light isnt working.

I did have a Sequoia to pass me and I knew they were bound to wipe out and sure enough, they put it in the ditch. I had a H3 hummer pass me as well and he nearly lost it. He was able to get it back under control. You see as many 4 wheel drives in the ditch as you non 4 wheel drive. They may handle better but once you lose it, they dont stop any better. I always worry about them running into me or hitting from the rear as I have no bumper for the time being. Driving on ice isnt a challenge to me but more of a nuisance as I worry more about the other drivers. They cant walk on it but they will do their best to do the speed limit regardless of conditions.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I put some 2nd gen side pockets in. The first gens just wont hold that much due to their size.
Showing the difference.

I stuck some finishing nails where I wanted to put some self tapping sheet metal screws and then pressed them thru the panel where I wanted them to be. (yeah,... I stuck myself in the leg with one trying to get it thru,lol)

Next I pulled them thru the panel. The finishing screws heads are so small that it did very little damage to the cardboard and made it easy to screw into the backside of the panel. The bigger rip in the cardboard was previously damage and isnt where I put a screw or nail. Eventually I want to make some new panels from Gregos build thread. These will work for now though.

On vinyl, I mark the screw holes with some weather stripping glue or something similar.

One self tapping screw and one finishing nail still to pull thru.

Here it is mounted. I also worked on getting more of the interior finished, getting the dash more assembled and just alot of small odd ball things.

Last edited by Terrys87; 01-13-2013 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
yup i got the pockets just need to install mine.. it's 2 degrees here it was 0 a bit ago i had to drive the 90 home from dropping the lady off for work trip speedo cable dont like the cold and the cold groaning from the passenger side area we never have found out what that is drove home on 4wheel too much ice on the roads
Old 01-13-2013, 12:47 PM

very cool terry on the side pockets. As far as the 4wd light?? theres a harness on the transfer case that runs that light?? Im not sure which one but maybe one is unplugged?? As far as your rubbing maybe you could adjust the torsion bars a LITTLE?? i dunno ive never adjusted them before the only other thing i can think of would be 1.5 bj spacers and with the ZUK it would ride level. Looks like youve stayed busy this weekend!!
Old 01-13-2013, 02:45 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey Buddy! Sorry its been so long ... Pleases to forgaveses me, sirrrrrrrr!?!? Hahahaha. (Scene from Johnny Dangerously, lol). Anywhoooo...

NICE on not the pockets, sir!

Far as the lift, why u not wanting to bj it? I like Em cuz they gave me lift and then I RELAXED the tbars... But, if ud rather not, try the tbar crank, but I it'll be stiffer, as you already know boooooo! Plus, u have to plan for the possible variable of the tbar adj nut or locking one snapping the bolt off, rit? Wut size tires are they?
Old 01-15-2013, 01:29 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
yup i got the pockets just need to install mine.. it's 2 degrees here it was 0 a bit ago i had to drive the 90 home from dropping the lady off for work trip speedo cable dont like the cold and the cold groaning from the passenger side area we never have found out what that is drove home on 4wheel too much ice on the roads
Hello Cyberhorn.. This cold is for the birds. I am just a big slug right now and not getting much done. We were down to 10 degress and with coveralls and all, I just couldnt get warm. I ready to hibernate.

Originally Posted by kornhuskerwizard
very cool terry on the side pockets. As far as the 4wd light?? theres a harness on the transfer case that runs that light?? Im not sure which one but maybe one is unplugged?? As far as your rubbing maybe you could adjust the torsion bars a LITTLE?? i dunno ive never adjusted them before the only other thing i can think of would be 1.5 bj spacers and with the ZUK it would ride level. Looks like youve stayed busy this weekend!!
Hello kornhuskerwizard...I am trying to get something done but it sure takes alot longer. I will mess with something and then when I am cold, I just stop, trying to keep my little goal of getting something done on a daily basis even it is a small thing. That might get changed to a monthly basis.

I have never adjusted the torsion bars myself either. These tires are just so noisey, that I have decided they are going away. I was talking to Mark and was at my local tire shop today and was seeing what he had and he was telling me that my rims are actually made for 33 inch tires. I also think between the tires and rims when I get some factory size rims this problem will go away. My rims I have now are 10 inchs wide, and think this is the problem. I like these rims, but not if they are going to cause this much trouble.

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Hey Buddy! Sorry its been so long ... Pleases to forgaveses me, sirrrrrrrr!?!? Hahahaha. (Scene from Johnny Dangerously, lol). Anywhoooo...

NICE on not the pockets, sir!

Far as the lift, why u not wanting to bj it? I like Em cuz they gave me lift and then I RELAXED the tbars... But, if ud rather not, try the tbar crank, but I it'll be stiffer, as you already know boooooo! Plus, u have to plan for the possible variable of the tar adj nut or locking one snapping the bolt off, rit? Wut size tires are they?
Hello Mark.. Enjoyed talking to you. Some of the points you brought up and talking to my tire shop guy, these rims and tires are wont be on much longer. He was saying to use 33 inch on these rims. Right now that is just bigger then what I want to deal with. Dont want to pop for gears and 33 inch tires at this time. I would like to see what a 33 inch and 4.88 would be like, but I know that I like 31s on Mistys truck and how it is so much better riding and funner to drive. I will probably just stay 31s for now.

Also I think you are right, with the weight of the tires and rims as I feel both of these are heavy in each case, and the noise which I have had enough with now, I am pulling out some stock steelies I have and will shine them up until I can come across some SR5 or Outlaw 2 wheels. It may be so 80s but these are 80s trucks so that is fine with me.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:38 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Well I am done with these tires and rims. I think the width is a big issue, the weight of the rims and the tires and most of all the noise. I will be putting some stock steelies on for awhile and see if I can get me a set of tires that will make it more enjoyable to drive. These tires are ruining it for me. I will get something back on later that will look nice again later. My take me a little bit for some tires.

I did get my rear speakers put in. Still need to get my stereo (Thanks Mark) and front speakers in but that will happen soon enough. Still have some things I want to do the front of the cab before I start putting those things in and save having to remove anything extra while doing other fixs and upgrades.

I have been working on some air leaks. Got most of them fixed. Seems like I am still getting a draft around where the stereo would go so will look into that. The firewall looks like all of the seals are in with the exception of the hood release cable. I cant see it letting that much of a draft in but will wait and see.

Another problem I was having is my transfer case stick wouldnt stay in. I think it was the c-clip that was weak and not locking it down, so I had a spare and switched it out. Seems to be staying in place. 4 wheel drive works great in high and low range.

I need to start working on the window seals in the rear now as they have shrunk and need to be worked on a little bit and put back into place and I think that will fix another air leak. Nothing major but still getting a little something done.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Coming home from work, I have just went over having 700 miles on since getting it running. I have been babing it and not really pushing it hard at all. I think my speedometer is way off. The speed limit is 70 and I had it at 70 on my speeometer and was passing everyone. I am going to be getting my cigarette lighter hooked up so that I can hook up my Garmin and just see how far off it really is.

Soon I will double check my timig and valves and when I get a chance would just really like to see what this truck will do. Wife calls me a grandpa driver as I usually dont get in no hurry to get anywhere, but I always like to know what my trucks will do. First time I really enjoyed driving it and I am starting to think with some lighter tires and rims, I might could give Mistys a run for her money.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:00 PM

Hey Terry, I hear you on the tires and rims, but I'm just not convinced that it's the majority of the problem. However what can it hurt to try, right?keep on the hunt, you will find those rims that you're looking for. the same thing happens with my truck, were people that have 22 RE motors get in, take a drive, and say something like, "what are u feeding this thing ?", Haha. I do have gears, a cam, in a bit of head work, but its by no means is super R-EEEE, LOL!

However, having to wide of a rim wud explain LOTS! Are they 10"! Even my 8" outlaw2's with good backspacing on 32's rub in the back of the front wheel wells. Anyway, keep us updated
Old 01-15-2013, 01:21 PM

I bet your right terry, go with a stock width 15inch wheel and give it a try with 31s. Bet it dont rub anymore and the weight reduction will help you too.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:56 PM

Hey Terry, even after our conversation on the phone, I'm a little bit confused.... I don't I think I'm clear on what size tires you are running at the moment. I thought you said on the phone that they were 31 inch? And, I got the impression that the rims we're at 10 inch wide or so rim.

Could you clear that up for me with a quick summary, just the tire size and exact rim dimensions, including offset and backspacing? I think 1 of my problems with rubbing is due to my outlaw 2's having such an aggressive backspacing, causing them to stick out from the fender, much like you described. But, considering my rims ar 15 by 8 inch, and considering your tires don't seem to stick out any further than mine, I'm guessing that you don't have 10 inch wide wheel, right?
Old 01-16-2013, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello kornhuskerwizard...I am ready to go back to the stock size and think things will improve alot when I get to stock rims and different tires. Shocks and Zuk Mod will do wonders for it.

Hello Mark.. Enjoyed talking to you. They are 10 inch wide rims and the tires just dont have any grip when out in the fields. Also they are throwing rooster tails and eventually I am afraid it will start getting rocks and getting the paint. Plus the noise is now what is aggrevating me, but as it is the more I tinker with it, the more I am really starting to enjoy this truck.

Quick Reply: Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance