86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 04:45 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Thanks Cyberhorn and Richard.. I am thinking red but am still open to ideas. I defenitely want the fender flares for all 3 of my projects (both 1st gen runners and extra cab) and would like to have 31s BFGs on all 3 trucks, someday it will happen.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:52 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

The pickup is moving up the list quick. Just got to get Mistys truck running again and mine is about as far as I can go with it without spending major bucks on it such as interior and just up grading. I will start a thread on the 85 on January the 11th. I have spent $30 on it so far. Found the rear tray for $20 and got a coil and igniter for $10. I grab the parts when I can.

Been driving the 86 fairly quite a bit lately and getting my confidence in it. Found some good diagrams of the vac hoses and wanted to post for myself and plan on posting other diagrams on the 88 pickup build.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
im looking at these flares terry they arent those ones that have the bolts up on the fender look simple an easy to install
flex flares
Old 12-20-2012, 02:21 PM

oh im glad i saved that vac line picture you posted looks like the other person removed it i put it up on my imageshack account
Old 12-20-2012, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for saving this cyber horn and thank you terry for finding it. Gonna be a big big help to me.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by jason in tn
Thanks for saving this cyber horn and thank you terry for finding it. Gonna be a big big help to me.
sorry for the dropped call jason we were just yackin though
good luck with the carb
an always glad to help!
Old 01-04-2013, 08:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Terry.. You are amazing. This is the best hour and a half Ive spent on the computer lol. So much things added to my list to do. Those Hub dials look great btw.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:19 PM

Received 670 Likes on 459 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
oh im glad i saved that vac line picture you posted looks like the other person removed it i put it up on my imageshack account
Saved on my local hard drive in case web hosts go down. Happy New Year, guys!
Old 01-05-2013, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Saved on my local hard drive in case web hosts go down. Happy New Year, guys!
yup saved in my 88 repair folder as well and thank you rad4
Old 01-06-2013, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Cyberhorn.. Thats the style of flares I am intested in. I dont care for the Bushwackers. Really appreciate the coloring for the hoses. It is hard to tell where they go in some pics.

Thanks RAD..Hope you had a great New Years as well.

Thanks '85 Yota... I have some big plans for this runner. It is mine and one I have will have so much further then what it is now. I still got alot that I want to do it. I will be getting back on it here fairly soon. I will be starting a build thread on my 85 extra cab this Friday and will be doing a full frame off restore on it. It looks good but is in bad shape. This will be my 3rd parts truck that I will have restored. Just like a challenge and it is a rarer truck. Here are some more tips and tricks that I have found and eventually want to make a thread on that I think will help out quite a bit. I am still adding info to it so it will be awhile. Most dont cost anything or very little and just require a little time. >> https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...5/index15.html Welcome to Yotatech and thanks for reading my thread. I want to make it as usful as possible and show that a build can be doen reasonable.

Your Welcome Jason.. I got all of the pics in my Photobucket account for most years so have them easily available too.

Last edited by Terrys87; 01-06-2013 at 07:21 AM.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sweet! Lookin' forward to it.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:24 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

We are to have some descent weather this week. So if all goes well, I have alot of things I have been wanting to do, first on the list is see if I can get Mistys truck back on the road and Friday I will start a build up on my 85 Extra cab.

It will be a slower build as I am not in the biggest hurry to get it on the road. Been without a pickup this long and having a trailer makes up for it. I want it to be a nice clean stock truck with some nice wheels.

Been to cold to do anything otherwise. So have been visting with family and other things and trying keep the water pipes from freezing up. We have had colder weather in the past and never had to deal with frozen pipes so not sure what is going on.

Been using my runner alot more lately and seems the more I drive it the better it seems to getting. Feels like its legs are getting more solid each time I drive it. Hoping to get the interior buttoned up on it and it will have to wait awhile longer to get the seats and carpets replaced or reupholstered, but I am hoping to get some time on this week.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:39 PM

well basics in frozen pipes here in idaho wrap the pipes with insulation especially the elbows any drafts around them plug that up heat tape which is a plug in electrical line that heats up a bit has a thermostat only comes on if the air temp gets below freezing we have that near the water line coming through the stone foundation as the stone gets cold an trys to hand that off to the pipe the rest of it is wrapped we use buried ground hydrants for the horses an dog kennel
Old 01-09-2013, 02:44 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Cyberhorn... I have never had that pipe to freeze, it has always been my other one and I wrapped it up a few years ago pretty much like you had mentioned. Also whoever built this house must of thought there would never be a need to work on pipes as I dont know if I could ever get to it. Same way with a house I had in Tulsa. Those pipes were nearly impossible to get to. I finally got them thawed and am going to find a way of keeping them warmer. I dont care for winter at all. I am sluggish when it is cold.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:58 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Wife and kids have gone back to school from the Christmas and New Years break. Sometimes wish I had a job in the school system. They get alot of time off. Oh well, now I will be getting back on to my runner. Between spending time with them, water pipes and everything else and just being to cold to do anything, nothing much has really gotten done on my truck.

I work at night and started driving it alot more and noticed my headlights werent aiming right. Got the low beams adjusted but cant get the high beams to match. I noticed one is a Sylvania and the other is a Wagner. I think when I get the same brand in that will be something that will fix itself.

Been driving it and trying to find the annoyances in it and working on them. My Check Engine Light came back on and was an O2 Sensor. I always check connections first and when I was messing with the plug, the wire broke off from the plug. It was corroded so got that fixed.

Got my dash all put togther and starting to get the interior panels and all the pieces cleaned up and should be getting them in this coming weekend, I found some speakers that I had bought for a previous project and have plans on getting them put in soon as well. That was like Christmas all over again.

Most of it is just small details that are time consuming and nothing really picture worthy, but all add up to make it more enjoyable to drive. Seems the more I drive it the better it is running and getting the bugs found and fixed keeps getting better. Got alot more small things done to it just dont remember them all, but I need to write a list up to remind myself as I have caught myself standing around figuring out what is next. Should of gotten alot more done.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just taking a minute to catch up on a few threads, glad to hear your getting a little done here and there.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thats great your out driving it, i cant wait to drive mine, actually no one has drove mine for over 12 yrs, so im glad your finally getting to put some miles down. keep on truckin!!
Old 01-11-2013, 05:22 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Jason..I am getting my confidence in it and each fix is making it that much more enjoyable to drive.

Thank kornhuskerwizard...I know mine sat for atleast 7 years. It is possible to get one back on the road after that amount of time. I would suggest flushingall fluids out a couple of times. Especially the brakes when you get a chance. The fluid and calipers are going to be in bad shape, but can be done for cheap and what a difference it made on mine.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:30 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi Terry, just trying to catch up on your thread. Glad to hear your getting some enjoyment out of the 4runner and gaining more confidence in it's reliablilty! It's always nice to get to that point where all your time and effort pays off and you can finally enjoy all the hard work you got put into your project!

Last edited by rustED; 01-11-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!! 19degrees high of 22 low of 7 tonight!! Bring it on , i will open up the secondaries on my wood stove and douse it down with some osage orange!! I was thinking i need to go through the brake system as well, i wonder how many brake lines and fittings will bust in the process?? Better spray everything down with some more pb blaster. I cannot tell you how many cans ive already gone through on my runner build. awell its only$$$.

Quick Reply: Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance