86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Hello Brandon..It is under the 88 4Runner. It will be another month or two before I really get started on it. It starts on page 30 for now. I havent started a build thread on it yet. Want to get the others finished. Here is where it starts at. Link>>> Post#728 https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...9/index30.html

Last edited by Terrys87; 11-24-2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I am looking for some information for about 22r carburators. I came across this link to FSM. Toyota had Nocctora to take their links down and I found these. I checked a couple of links and they still work. Might want to download while they are still available.

FSMs
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f128.../#post50938935
Old 11-25-2012, 07:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Terry this was very useful. I would swap the frame if I could. It is an ext cab regular box and am not sure what years would fit?
Old 11-25-2012, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello shaheen 1969... 86-88 would fit and the 84 to 85 would as well if you wanted to have a solid axle truck. You would need the extra cab frame.

Last edited by Terrys87; 11-25-2012 at 08:33 AM.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:39 AM

Super! Thanks for that. Will continue the search. I only really wish to make her strong and clean for the highway and to get in to the tight trails we have around up here in the north. I'm in no rush but would really like to see her clean and working one day. I still look at welding it but think an axle swap would be my best scenerio. A solid axle front end would be preferable if i can find one.
Cheers!
Old 11-25-2012, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I would personally get one with the axles in it if doing and 84 or 85. Doing the Solid Axle Swap can get expensive and that is including if you can weld. I was surprised what all is involved. But if you found a stock frame with the axles already in it, doing a body swap is very easily done. You can use an 84 frame, you would need to change fuel tanks and the fuel lines, but they mount on easy as well.

When you see others doing a SAS it is for more serious offroading and my guess wouldnt be as streetable. For what you are wanting to do, a stock frame and solid axle would work great.

The only reason I would consider swapping frames with a solid axle 4Runner is for the smoother ride. I have ridden in 3 different solid axle trucks and was suprised at much smoother they ride. I will only do that if I come across a solid axle frame with the axles already in. An IFS rides well also. Alot depends on tires and shocks. Mine will be for daily driver use and dependability.

I sold my standard cab 88 pickup, but the reason I did was I like the extra room of an Extra Cab and my 85 is EFI which as I understand it makes it a rarer truck. Im not so much the Solid Axle Fan as I am more intrested in it as is a hard truck to find. 85 is the only year of Solid Axle and EFI and being an Extra Cab, makes it that much more difficult to find.

Last edited by Terrys87; 11-25-2012 at 09:02 AM.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:18 AM

Check. I wont be doing lots of off road, just want her to pull through when she needs too. It has a 22re that was rebuild a few years ago and I put a centreforce II clutch in. i'm by no means a welder but am good at the prep side of things. I have a buddy whos really good. Honestly I'd just like to find any frame that will fir the parts I have. It is a grizzli edition that was built in montreal. She came stock with 6 leafs instead of 4 and am not sure of any other differences it may have had for the year. I agree that the excab makes a big difference.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

If I was you, I would settle for either extra cab frame. Finding a extra cab frame will probably be a little difficult for you due to rust, but if you can take your time, one will come along eventually. If you are determined to do a frame swap, in the meantime, you could always get the rest of truck in tip top shape so when that frame does come along, you will be ready to go and do the swap.

My first swap, I had to move the fuel lines and tank and it wasnt hard at all to do. I was in the same exact situation but couldnt afford a frame at the time, but still I had alot of cheap and easy repairs that I could do. I even used my old exhaust. The only thing I had to do when I did the swap was take it to an alignment shop when I got thru with it. The alighnment on the replacement frame wasnt to far off and I was able to drive it a week before getting it aligned.

After doing a frame swap and replacing a whole entire wiring harness, both of those two experinces put a ton of confidence in me as to what I can do with these trucks. I had learned to reabuild motors years ago. Where a motor rebuild, frame swap, and wiring harness, might inimidate alot of people, I actually like the challenge. Look at my disasters...errr.. I mean projects.lol
Old 11-25-2012, 09:44 AM

Hahahaha for sure! I'm in the same situation with this. I will keep looking and also take your advice on cleaning up all the other bits while waiting on the frame. At least when I cleaned up the years of grime on the tranny does she ever sparkle! And am getting a feeling of progression instead of looking at a hunk of rust!
Old 11-25-2012, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

If it isnt absolutely needed now, and you can let it be a slow project, you will find the parts at when the time and price is right. You will be amazed at what you can fix at little to no cost. Start going thru all the different systems one at a time. Some of the fixes I found was out of desperation. My windshield bottle fix has worked for me twice when most would of replaced it.

On my 88 Runner build below, on the first page, I have listed how I fixed things and all if not most were free or really cheap. I will update the 88 Runner thread with the fixes I did on my 86 4Runner. Two new calipers were $60 and a new alternator was $100 and that wasnt counting core charge. I did the calipers for $10 each and new bruhes for the alternator was $7. A $160 worth of repairs for $27 and the front brakes and alternator are working great. It is kind of fun seeing how cheap I can make my builds that are just as dependable as some that may have a blank check book.

Dont look at the big picture, enjoy each fix that comes along. This is your chance to make your 87 Extra Cab the truck you would of bought new in 87 if you could go back in time.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I have been slowly getting all of my interior panels back on. Just letting them form back up to how they should be. I still havent put any Peel and Seal in the doors but with just the door panels back on, it really made it alot quieter from the whine of the tires which is something I really dont want to hear.

Another thing that bugs me that I got fixed is my Check Engine Light has not been coming back on since I replace the O2 sensor. Really happy with that. Now the next thing that is bugging me is the gas gauge not working. That will be getting some attention soon. The weather has turned cold here and working on trucks while cold just takes the fun out of it so havent been doing much with it lately.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
yup been cold as heck here hard to even tinker with um when cold LOL
Old 11-26-2012, 06:41 PM

I soooo want to see her look like she just rolled out of the showroom!
She's become the mechano model I always wanted!
I searched around and found a few frames but mainly states side. Hope is there so will continue on cleaning up the good bits. Have lots to do for sure. Cold has set in here too. Thanks for the hope Terry!
Old 11-28-2012, 12:44 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Cyberhorn...I got plenty that I want to be doing,it just been so cold, I just want to go into hibernation. I always hear that summer you can only take so much off but winter you can add more layers. Winter is for the birds, I want the heat. I am working on getting that template cut out and will be getting the fender out this Friday.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:00 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello shaheen1969.. My 85 looks good, but really the only thing that is any good is the frame and body. The paint is really chipping off and doesnt look like it was prepped well and has alot of runs. I am thinking it could be rattle canned. The pictures on screen make it look good, but this truck is junk as most would consider it. It was used as a parts truck and has alot of the wiring cut up. The motor had the head used for another truck and I was looking at it the other day and noticed the #1 cylinder is either a deep gouge or cracked. Either way it is some major machine work. Luckily I have a 87 motor that I think is rebuildable and I have a tranny.

This is a truck that I can make the way that I want. I learned staying in the stock builds that I can take something like this truck and build something really dependable and to the way that I would like it to be, still havent decided on which color that I want to do with it.

One way would be to make it a twin to my runner. Another is the way it came, white body with blue interior. Other then changing the color of the engine bay, doing a color change really isnt hard at all to do when painting the exterior. Even changing the interior isnt bad on a pickup as you have several choices of seats that can be had out of a boneyard and that saves on interior cost. New carpet can be had for about $100.

Here is a break down of cost that I figure that it will take me to do this build. I will get it running and painted first. I do my motor work in the winter and have to get my painting done in the summer. Everything else can go as I can afford it. I started my first build on January 11th 2011 and then started my 86 build on January 11th of 2012 so will start my 85 truck build on January of 2013. That gives me time to get my other projects wrapped up and keeps my dates easy to remember.

I will do a break down of what I am guessing it will cost and usually am not to far off as where I save in one area it will cost in more in another. I can spread it out over a year or so and what I have learned on the other builds I have done, I keep finding and learning cheaper ways of doing things.

60 for fuel tank. I get my fuel pumps from ebay, cleaning tank and fuel lines.
150 tune up and fluids
500 for motor work. Could be more or less. I have a good clutch.
300 for paint. All other paint jobs have cost me about this much.
100 for brakes. Rear pads have about 75% left. Use what I got.
100 carpet.
100 seats.
200 tires, Craigslist will provide some, just got to keep looking.
100 front axle rebuild, could be more as it leaks.
200 for supplies and other unexpected expenses.

I got the truck for free when I bought another truck. It was crusher bound. For less then $2000,( I am hoping 1500 or less) I will have a nice solid little truck that I do need and would have a hard time finding a good used one for that price. My most expensive build was the white 88 runner, $3300 but I bought 2 parts trucks at $400 dollars a piece ($800 total) and my wife had $300 worth of stripping added to it $1100 to the build.

January-March I will be doing motor work.

February-May will be body work.

May-August will be paint.

August til when it is done will be interior and what else needs done. No hurry on it as it will depend on funds.

Some colors I am looking at.

Last edited by Terrys87; 11-29-2012 at 06:56 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:08 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hope that gives you some hope and how to look at a project. You just need a frame and some time to get the rest of the truck to the way you want it. It is always nice to see a project from start to finish. If you stay in the stock builds, you can do it cheap enough and something that will feel like an accomplishment when you get it done. Dont get no hurry, just a steady pace and determination. When funds are tight, there are lots of things that can be done for free or little cost. During the summer months, you will notice, I do very little spending as the wife doesnt work, so I do alot of little fixing, cleaning, and rattle can painting. Got to take care of the family first. But it all adds up at the end that is needed to make it a nicer and dependable ride.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:16 AM

Received 670 Likes on 459 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrys87
Hello shaheen1969.. My 85 looks good, but really the only thing that is any good is the frame and body.
I vote for plain red, but lose the visor and running board
Old 11-28-2012, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Hello Cyberhorn...I got plenty that I want to be doing,it just been so cold, I just want to go into hibernation. I always hear that summer you can only take so much off but winter you can add more layers. Winter is for the birds, I want the heat. I am working on getting that template cut out and will be getting the fender out this Friday.
thank you a dozen times over terry your awesome
Old 11-28-2012, 10:09 AM

WHOOOO lookit that gorgeous red truck! like the visor lose the running board WOW lookit the chrome gleam!
Old 11-28-2012, 03:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
WHOOOO lookit that gorgeous red truck! like the visor lose the running board WOW lookit the chrome gleam!
I agree with Cyberhorn. That thing is beautiful minus that running board. Wow....

Quick Reply: Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance