86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 04:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MC an booster look great terry so what ya think just junk in the line or air making the front feel funky?
Old 11-08-2012, 12:29 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
X2... great as usual. "Resto-King".... your new nickname! lol.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:17 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Thanks Habenero..I just remember when I was new to Toyotas and trying to learn how to fix these trucks. I eventually move things over to my 88 Runner build and list it on the first page so it might help others. I refer to it for myself alot as well. I have found several cheap or easy fixes and that really keeps cost down. I have a 3rd gen as well but all I ever have to do is basic maintaince and it just keeps going. What you all do on the 3rd gens does intimidate me. I did help work on a 3.4 recently and it isnt nearly as bad as it looks.

Hello William...It was most definitely the calipers and master cylinder. But getting all of the gunk cleaned out of the lines and getting all of the parts just moving again and freshend back up made a whole lotta difference.

In the calipers behind the pistons was some actual sludge build up like you would see in a motor. I was a wimp in pulling the seal out of the cylinders, but they are in good condition and can be a pain in the rear sometimes getting them back in and staying in. Everything else is easy and nothing to be afraid of. Tearing them down and giving them a once over isnt a bad idea.

Wifey and both kids have had their fill of pumping the brakes so I could bleed them when done.lol

Thanks Mark...Each truck has the same problems and also have different problems. Some of the things I have done on this one has been yearssss since I did it on other cars like the caliper rebuild. I have learned the most on this truck. I am working on Restoring part and am slowly but surely getting there. Wow!! You arent far away from 15,000 post.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:21 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I mentioned it in the pics of the caliper rebuild, but when you have them seperated and using an air hose on the calipers and have the other passage ways blocked off, dont stand in front of the piston as it will come out of there like a bullet.

When I had them reassembled with the pads on, I put a screwriver handle in between them to simulate a rotor and was able to bench test them that way.

Just wanted to mention about the pistons when calipers are seperated.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I took the runner out on its first real run today and it did well. It does have a slight pull to the left and that could be tire pressure or needing an alignment. I did stop on a hill and let it start rolling on its own and so the brakes arent causing it to pull to one side. I also tried the brakes from easy to hard stops and it stopped in a straight line.

I got it up to 65 mph a little at a time and it didnt have any problems. I dont know if it is the tire size, but Mistys runner would out run mine from take off to any finish line. I do a have an 82 Supra AFM so maybe that will help and I still havent hit it with a timing light as my old timing stopped working on me. The tires are balanced really well and it rides nice and I am sure the shocks are needing replaced, but on highway, it is a nice ride and fun to drive.

I also found out that my dash dimmer switch either has the dash fully on or fully off when trying to adjust the brightness of the dash. That should be an easy fix of just swapping out the dimmer switch.

The tires are louder then an all weathter tire and once I get my interior and window sills in, I think it will be alot quieter inside. I am planning on taking it to work tomorrow and if I make it that far without any problems, I will have alot more confidence in it.

We are to get rain this weekend so I have been working on getting my wiper arms cleaned up and will get some new blades tomorrow for it. Also I will be going to the boneyard to get some clips and I need a new plug connector for the 4 wheel drive light.

All in all, I was really happy how things have turned out considering the shape it was in. I am going to have to stick in my old carpet in for now and get the rest of the interior back in as I still have it stripped down so as I could paint it. This will be the last time I have to assemble the interior until I can afford new carpet and get the seats reupholstered.

The next few days it should start looking like a runner on the inside as of now I have most of it just laying in the back. It is getting there.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:18 PM

Received 670 Likes on 459 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrys87
I took the runner out on its first real run today and it did well...The next few days it should start looking like a runner on the inside ...
Happy for you, Terry! Must feel good that you brought that Runner back to life.

The tires are louder then an all weather tire and once I get my interior and window sills in, I think it will be alot quieter inside.... I am going to have to stick in my old carpet in for now and get the rest of the interior back in...
Do you also have clutch master cylinder fluid in your carpet? Front-loading coin-op washer did not remove it all on mine, so I scrubbed it with Fast Orange hand cleaner using toothbrush, then rinsed it while scrubbing some more. This thing turns out to be water-soluble so it also lathered up. Finally threw it into washer with regular detergent to rinse it more thoroughly. I can eat off my carpet now

You also gonna do the P&S? I'm pretty happy with my P&S, too. And the Thermo Shield that Chef found is just great- both for thermal and sound insulation. In my case, the 4' x 6' roll @ $38 is just right to cover:
Firewall to rear seat driver side (where you could really feel the heat from exhaust, then firewall to front-seat section on right side. Then, I topped everything with close-cell foam. Carpet's going back on this weekend. Yeey!
Old 11-09-2012, 01:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you've done a Herculean job terry
kudos an pats on the back
Old 11-09-2012, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks RAD... It has been a fun build. I dont have fluid in my carpet luckily. Mine is just worn out and beaten down from the years of wear and tear. I do have Peel and Seal in the side up to the doors. I am still going to insulate the doors as well. I will add Thermo Shield as I want mine as quite as possible. I pull my carpets and take them to the carwash and the gunk that comes out. People would be surprised at how nasty they do get. Hope your carpet install goes well.

Thanks Cyberhorn.. It should start to move a little faster now. Tonite is it first true long run. I will be taking it to work. Hoping for the best.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I was at the boneyard and they had a sweet little 85 2 wheel drive that you could tell had really been taken care of. I would of liked to have found it before the boneyard got it. Some dumfish tore the dash out of it. Idiots.

It had two nice doors seals so I got them, the antenna mount, one door trim that was left and a washer bottle connector. Christmas came early this year. It also had a good tray in the back which is the first one I have ever seen in an Extra Cab for my 85 truck. I know to get the parts while the gettin is good. Who knows when the next time I could come across one of those. I get the hard to find parts when I get a chance. Also got a matching set of keys for the ignition and door locks.

Also got my Denso Plug wires off of ebay. Cheaper then getting them from a parts store. I can post a link later.

Salvage parts and plug wires.

85 Extra cab tray.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi Terry, nice work on getting your brakes all rebuilt and working! It's good to hear that your test drive went well and everythings working good. I hear ya on feeling a little more confident in the truck after a longer trip, & hope all goes well on your trip to work!
Old 11-10-2012, 01:37 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Ed..I was really happy with my thriftiness. Two calipers were $60 and the alternator would of been $100 and that was not counting core charges. So for a $160 repair I cut it down to $30. Basically $10 for each rebuild kit. Wish it was always like that. Wellll, the trip to work wasnt the best, but it made it. I will explain below.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:56 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

The runner made it to work but I did have to stop and tighten the heater core hoses a little ways into the trip. Next problem was and still is the timing. Since my timing light broke, I had to set it by ear. I have been able to get it set by ear before, but this one is giving me problems. Other then that, things have went farily well.

I have fixed a washer bottle like this before. The pump was frozen or stuck, so I reversed the leads to the battery a couple of times and it finally took off. Now I just need to get the rest of the hoses from the bottle to the hood and it will work. 86 has round plugs and 87 and up have the flat plugs so I did have to wire in new plug to get them connected.

Got my door locks in. The orange color tab is for the passenger side and the drivers side is pink. Dont laugh, you have pink ones too. lol

Got my new to me antenna. The top of mine is missing. This is one I got out of the boneyard. I have repaired broken ones by cutting the bolt head off and connecting the two broken pieces together.

Denso Spark Plug wire part number. I opened my hood on a dark road and it look liked the 4th of July under there. This is a good way to see if your wires are good or not. Hoping the Densos take care of this problem.

Went to change my ignition switch. You must have the key and then put it in the Accessorie postion and push in on the button that my fingers are pointing to for it to slide out.

The top switch has the release button at the bottom and you will need to remove your steering wheel and combo switch to replace it. Dont know if these are year specific. The bottom switch all you need to do is remove the steering cover and put the key to Acc position and pull out. These switches are not interchangable.

Got my antenna mount on,gas cap lock ( took forever to find where I put it) and door locks in. Also got the dash back together and some other things I cant recall right off.
The 2 inch body lift is coming off as the tcase stick wants to hit the body.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice finds at the bone yard buddy. Glad the maiden voyage went with out to many glitches, I'm looking forward to getting mine out the first time. Your runner really looks sweet.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Jason..It calmed a few fears. Think I need to go back to basics and see about the timing on it, but otherwise for where it is at I was really happy with it.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Took the runner on its longest run yet. Did have to tighten the heater core hoses. Still not comfortable with the timing. May be just me being paranoid, but I want to have the confidence in it.

Timing Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qEQM...ature=youtu.be

Other Videos
http://www.22reperformance.com/22RE%...%20Videos.html

Last edited by Terrys87; 11-13-2012 at 11:57 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:02 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Wow, nice finds, Terry! Sorry I've been absent... But you know why. Thanks for your thoughts, etc.

Dude, the truck looks SO GOOD! NICE work!
Old 11-10-2012, 12:04 PM

really impressed by your patience and bodywork! nice save! keep up the good work!
Old 11-10-2012, 05:40 PM

Looking good. Were the tabs on the door handles the originals or replacements? I just curious. Looking for replacement for my driver door. Wondering if I can order one or need to hit the yard for one.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:54 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Originally Posted by lemegacool
really impressed by your patience and bodywork! nice save! keep up the good work!
Thanks lemegacool.. It has come along ways and I have a long ways to go to where I want it to be at. Bodywork is something I actually enjoy doing. It has the biggest results when done.

Originally Posted by dsal_86Yota
Looking good. Were the tabs on the door handles the originals or replacements? I just curious. Looking for replacement for my driver door. Wondering if I can order one or need to hit the yard for one.
Hello dsal_86Yota..I got mine from the boneyard. They are side specific and cannot interchange with each other. Sometimes things like these are just as cheap at the dealership, but I havent checked them for these.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:00 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I have cleaned my carpets several times and since this runner must of spent its life on the beaches in Florida where it came from. Everything is just loaded with sand. I am going to try RADs way of cleaning them and take them to a laundry mat and see if that wont get the sand out. I will eventually replace the carpets but until then I need to make due with these. I am getting to start putting the interior together and that is going to start making it feel like a complete truck.

Here is how I burp the cooling system. It gets alot of the air out. I raise it in the air as high as I can get it and let the thermostat cycle 3 or 4 times or about 15 minutes or so. A steep incline works well to, but my parking brake is not functioning at the moment.

To do list
Install carpet..........Done
Reinstall Dizzy.........Done
Pull Passenger front seat and fix tilt
Seat belts
Wiper blades
Cowl
Wiper hoses............Done
Remove lift
Paint L trims
Install Seats...........Done

Last edited by Terrys87; 07-18-2013 at 10:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance