86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 11:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
terry if your wanting to sleeve it look up speedy sleeve they make any size ya need (this via kris who came down saw me lookin at the axle)
Old 11-01-2012, 05:29 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Hello Mark...I would keep your OEM ones. I prefer used OEM over new/rebuilt junk that they are putting out. Seperating the calipers isnt anythign to be worried about and getting the pistons out isnt a bad job if they are in working order. The spares I had are frozen and will take alot more effort to get them working again. It will be a winter project.

If your calipers are working good, I might would just seperate them and flush the old gunk out of them and just replace the dust covers. That inner seal can be a bear sometimes. I put them back together and did a bench test and feel mine will be okay.

Hello Jason...I should of suspected it when I pulled the axle out and the seal looked great. I was in a one track mind of it just leaking at the seal that I didnt even think of the shaft. What I did see of the shaft looked great. I am going to hope for the best and if it has to come back out and get fixed, its not a bad job at all. I was thinking a machine shop would be expensive, but it would only be a 5 minute job for them. If I ad to I could pull it in their parking lot.

Hello Outlawredcvyota...Welcome to yotatech. I looked at your build and you are making great progress. Those extended cabs are nice and are getting hard to find. I still miss the one I had. Appreciate the compliments. This runner is my baby and I have plans for it to be an extremly nice runner when done. I have done several trucks and will be doing 2 more in the future but none are going to get the attention like this runner will be getting. I want it to be the nicest out of all of the trucks I have done and really hoping to be one of the nicest on Yotatech. I have my work cut out for me as there are some nice ones out there. It should start moving here fairly quick in the near future.

Thanks Cyberhorn.. You guys got me to thinking of finding a machinst to do the work. I initially thought it would be too expensive, but after what you all have suggested, I dont think it will be that bad.

Have been getting some descent days to work on the runner but everything else keeps coming up and getting in the way. Did get some time yesterday but not what I wanted to get acomplished. Today I got to have dental surgery for my dry socket that has been going on for over a year since October 26 of last year and everytime we think it is healed it opens up again. If I am not to sore when I get back am hoping to do some more work on it when I ge home. I have Friday off as I have gaurd drill this weekend and that gives me 3 days to work on it. 2 days havent worked out so far so I am hoping that number 3 is better.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Today I got to have dental surgery for my dry socket that has been going on for over a year since October 26 of last year and everytime we think it is healed it opens up again. If I am not to sore when I get back am hoping to do some more work on it when I ge home. I have Friday off as I have gaurd drill this weekend and that gives me 3 days to work on it. 2 days havent worked out so far so I am hoping that number 3 is better.
ow i hope the dentist gets it fixed terry i know what its like to have a hole where there shouldnt be
Old 11-02-2012, 03:18 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks William.. I am hoping this gets it fixed finally. Life was miserable after seeing the doc yesterday, today is looking good.

Just ordered some Denso Plug wires for the runner. Will let you know what I think of them when I get them. Orginal equipment and cheaper then the parts store. Did get the brakes bled last nite. Seem to be working well.

Denso.. http://www.ebay.com/itm/250854901322...84.m1438.l2649

Link to other parts, still adding to list >> https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...99/index3.html

Last edited by Terrys87; 11-02-2012 at 04:45 AM.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Making some progress. Got a new upper radiator hose, gear oil in the rear end, radiator cap, rotor and bug, and a fwe shop supplies. $100 just doesnt go that far on parts, but out of that I have new plug wires coming. I already did the plugs when I did the top end of the motor.

Got my battery hold down in, radiator overflow bottle in and my windshield bottle in. The windshield bottle is from an 87 or newer truck so I will need to replace the connectons with one that will connect the two together.

Comparing the hose connections to the 88 and there are some differences between the two. The major ones are right but I know I have some of the minor ones could be wrong. Will look up diagrams for the 86 routing lines.

2 problems that I do have. The rear differential dain plug is stripped. I will need to have a machine shop to fix this for me. I can not get the drain off no matter how hard I try.

Also when it was a parts truck, I used the alternator off of it to fix my flatbed. Now I am paying for that one. It works but will eventually drain the battery, it just cant keep caught up. I am going to look into rebuilding this alternator. I forgot about using the alternator until I had to jump start it and I made myself a little note in the glove box when I took it.

It is running better with each new part and getting the lines straightend out. Picture looks cleaner then what it really is. I tried to detail the motor when I had it out, but it doesnt look like it now. It is something I will go back and do when I get it all back together.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:10 AM

Received 670 Likes on 459 Posts
Making some progress.
Looking good, Terry! Man... takes a lot of patience to do all that stuff resurrecting a Runner. more power to you!
Old 11-02-2012, 01:01 PM

silver an blue look very good together
Old 11-03-2012, 11:36 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks RAD...It has been a great learning experience. This build put alot of confidence in me about these trucks. The time it wouldnt start due the connector in the wiring harness and what all I went thru to figure that out taught me alot.

Thanks William... I know the right touches with some silver will make a big difference. I should know when it comes to me or I see something that I like. I will get the engine detailed up eventually.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:40 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

The lower radiator hose sprung a leak on me the other day so I have one on order at the parts store that they didnt have in stock. I pick it up Monday. Got my alternator brushes in and will pull the alternator soon to replace them.

Still not liking how the brakes are working. I know my rear brakes need some work, but the front brakes I am thinking the booster may not be up to par. It may have a vacuum leak or just need to replace the booster. Still looking into it.

Have been looking on the net about replacing brushes and found this link that has alot of good info on it. >>> http://www.toyotatips.com/Alternator...s.t1477-4.html

Brush replacement...
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/mainte...nator_brushes/
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...-22RE-4AGE-etc

Swapping alternators for some who may not know..

Starter Repair video, just foun, havent wached all the way..

This will fix it>>> https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...l#post51975700

I did Rays Starter Upgrade. Last week Misty had mine at the store and it would not start for her. I showed up and jumped in and it started right up. I asked her if she was turning the key, had the key in the ignition, and even had the keys, lol. It has done this to me before as well so I was just teasing her. I have replaced the Solenoid Contacts and cleaned the Starter Relay Contacts as well and it still will just click every once in awhile. For me I can usually start tapping on things and getting it going. Misty doesnt quite understand how to get around something like that and the clicking issue is frustrating.

I got Ray on the phone and he stepped me thru on doing the upgrade and what all was happening. He did a great job on explaining how the electric flowed that I could understand it. Thanks Ray for your help. I had just gotten anotherrr new phone as I dropped my other new phone and broke it. He had to contend with me trying to learn all of that as well. One time even trying to find the key pad to call back.

If you look at the plug with eyes, mustache and a smile, the one you need to cut is the right side of the mustache as you are looking at it, hehe

What I am trying to show here is the thinnest little black wire with the red stripe is on the left. The wire on the right is the one you want to cut which is diagonally across from the red stripe wire. Going from Left, Top, Right and Bottom, it is the Right one. The wire that I cut and is where my pinky is going to get wrapped back up into the wiring harness and will not be used again.

I eventually want to run a kill switch inside the cab and to do the AFM and Battery Swap. I also have an 82 Supra AFM that I want to install when I do all of that. I feel this will fix the click only issue and Thanks Ray for taking the time to step me thru it.

To try and show how I have it and how it is routed, it comes off of the batttery with a 30 Amp Fuse connector, along fender well to the Starter Relay Plug. I have left the wires loose just for explanation purposes but did route it tighter and cleaner.

Cleaning the Starter Relay contacts help.
Cleaned the Starter Relay Contacts. Bend these 6 tabs that hold the cover on.

Here is the contacts that need cleaned on these.

Last edited by Terrys87; 05-08-2015 at 03:07 AM.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Was doing the army thing this weekend and got to get a few things done in the past few days. My gas guage isnt working so I took a spare float assembly and hooked up and gauge started to work. Now I get to drop the tank and replace it.

Took the passengers side brake caliper off and rebuilt and cleaned it. It looks bad but cleaned up nicely.

Replaced the brushes. I have 12 volts with engine off and 14 volts with engine running. I used this link and it helped out alot. A great write up. Link >>>http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...-22RE-4AGE-etc

One problem I did have was tryig to figure out how to get the old brushes out. You must de-solder the two spots on the brush block and run the new wires thr and re-solder.

Parts cleaned and are now on truck. I think I need to replace the brake booster, but have alot more confidence in the brakes. A new alternator usually runs about $100. The brushes are less then $10. Not a bad job at all.

Last edited by Terrys87; 01-11-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:43 AM

Received 670 Likes on 459 Posts
... Now I get to drop the tank and replace it.
Replaced the brushes. I have 12 volts with engine off and 14 volts with engine running.
Nice, Terry, and tnx again for sharing the vids. Too bad that, unlike the 4Runner, the pick-up has no access door to the fuel tank
Old 11-06-2012, 10:56 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
X2 on the GREAT videos/good helpful links. You just reminded me to take in my 120A Cadillalternator! lol. Need to have it checked to see if it's crankin happy! lol.

Sorry bout the tank part, too... DANG! For you though? 30 Minutes after draining, right?

Hey, I posted up a funny video on my build if you have time... TOTALLY cracked me up, still is, to be honest. BUT, it's good news, I THINK, as far as moving forward. (I know you've been VERY busy with this..... so I'm not trippin... just wanted to share something funny that I'm SURE has happened to you at one time or another)...

Later dude, ..hope you're doing great!
Old 11-06-2012, 01:04 PM

nice to see the alts on these is rebuild able wonder if with everything else in mine if i should do that too
Old 11-06-2012, 11:24 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello RAD... Dropping the tank is something I am getting really good at. When I first put it in, the guage worked. I filled the tank hoping it might just be stuck. That didnt work. The float assembly I have in the picture above I think is for a pickup. Not sure if it is interchangeable. Now I will run the tank out then see what happens.

Hello Mark.. I have seen some store that test those alternators and say they are good and actually be bad. I would see if you can find someone that specilaizes in rebuilding them and have them to test. The big name part stores test give you and idea but I dont fully trust their test. In the old days we had alot of older guys that rebuild and redo the windings on but they are disappearing more every day.

Hello William..Mine had the ND stamped on the back which I am sure is Nippon Denso and when possible, I try to stay with the factory stuff. Alot of the remans are poorly done or China made. I wasnt brave enough to tear it further apart and I did have some groove worn into the rotary that the brushes ride on. I figure they will wear into the new brushes and be fine.

I do have an early/first gen alternator and might see about taking it apart on a day when it is too cold to do anything outside and see if there is more that can be done to make it more dependable.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:35 PM

I do have an early/first gen alternator and might see about taking it apart on a day when it is too cold to do anything outside and see if there is more that can be done to make it more dependable.
sounds like a late night kitchen table job ;-)
Old 11-06-2012, 11:38 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I still am not happy with the brakes on the Runner. I have suspected the brake booster all along and I do have a spare booster and it has some Japanese writing on it. The one I have on my Runner says Bendicts (if I recall right) and I would rather have orginal anyways. Also I was eventually going to pull my booster and detail it anyways. Before I do that I want to look in the manual and see if there are some bench test that I can do to see if it is a good part.

I did get my lower radiator hose replaced, but not without doing a dumb butt move. The replacement I got was alot longer then what I had. It is for a 4Runner, but they just made it longer to make sure you had plenty. Some how my measurements werent right and I cut it to short. Doh!!! Luckily I have a spare motor and I got to checking on it and I could tell the hose was farily new.

Tomorrow I plan on testing the booster and getting it on. I am going thru the drive train and outside of the runner checking and double checking to see if there is anything that needs adjusted/fixed or just some attention to it. Getting everything back to the way it should be is a slow process.

One reason I paint everything is for looks and to add a cleaner look to it, but lets me know that I have already been in that area. One of these days I will get to start on the interior, but want to finish the outside first. Alot of the small things that dont really show is taking some time but I am liking how it is getting better with each step.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:11 AM

and the paint protects those items from any further damage by the elements

um lol old wood workers adage terry measure twice cut once you can always cut more off it dont go back so easy how much the hose run ya? im likely have to replace a lot of mine purely due to time theyre gona be dry ofany coolant
Old 11-07-2012, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello William.. You snuck in on me. I have learned alot on taking things apart during the winter and also do alot of research. It has really paid off when I cant do anything outside. Not much I care to see on TV so it works out. I measured 3 tmes, still dont know what went wrong.lol
Old 11-07-2012, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I finally got my front brakes working and they are working great. Flushed the lines, rebuilt the calipers, I had a used booster and a used master cylinder and spent a little time cleaning them up and flushing them out and finally got the results that I wanted. Especially on my massive 50 cent budget, I am having to get the most bang for the buck. I was able to spend a little more this week then normal and trying to get as much accomplished as possible. Been doing alot of searching and refurbishing parts instead of just replacing. It has been a fun challenge. Should be getting my new plug wires tomorrow.

I still need to do the rear brakes, they are working but need attention and want them in as good of condition as well.

Cleaned,painted, and working.

Last edited by Terrys87; 11-07-2012 at 03:27 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 477 Likes on 321 Posts
You cut the hose just fine, running it through too hot a wash cycle's what shrunk it.

You guys get to do the coolest stuff on the older trucks. Work on them constantly to keep them tip top, or at least tip, then invent things to work on too! Thanks for the links and the solder on the brushes tip, gonna keep these in mind when it comes time. Replacing the starter contacts was super easy on the 96, it was harder getting the starter out! Love all your pics, Terry, make for good reading and learning.

Quick Reply: Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance