86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice job on the valance, looking better with every piece of shinny stuff. Great work my friend.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:55 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
X2 on what Z said! I'M SO happy for you, man! It looks great.... and NOW, in the proper 'photo worthy' lighting.... I can FINALLY see that it's ALMOST IDENTICAL to that blue like my old one, man.... Honest... it's looking different in each picture.... confusing me! hehehe.

GREAT JOB, ..and Best wishes, buddy, with everything tomorrow!
Old 09-27-2012, 07:57 PM

PS> Have Jason bring the fender I scored him... Maybe just rub out a 3" circle so you can see PRISTINE Blueberry blue.... And then hold it up to it... I BET it's closer than you think, at least from seeing that last pic in the yard!
Old 09-27-2012, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Terrys87

Stock Toyota Flat Royal Blue....

I'm guessing you're looking at the paint in the door jams or trunk somewhere that's still clean, .... I forgot about that... You probably know exactly what the shade difference is, etc. But MAN I like it, Terry!!!!!
Old 09-28-2012, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Thanks Zelephant... My biggest concern was the wiring issue when I had to replace the harness. Those were some gloomy days as I was worried about being over my head and then the injectors not firing off. But looking back it has been a fun learning experince and not concerned about anything now. Still have a ways to go. In about a year you should see the next project I a working on,heheh, I am accumilatng the parts for it now.

Hello Jason... Good seeing you yesterday, as far as the valance, you would be surprised at what a little desperation will do for you.

Thanks Mark..Things are going well so far. I dont see getting it painted today, but did get it inspected andheading to the tag agecy today. I told jason if he could see what you guys have in the yards there, he would be amazed. That fender is pristine and dont think it is far from color other then mine has metalic in it.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Got it all buttoned up for the trip to the inspection station. My speedo didnt work so I pulled into a carwash and found I never hooked it back up. My gas gauge isnt working so I will look into it. I know it did on the non SR5 guage. Hopefully it is something simple.

No more filling with gas cans. Wahoo!! Still need to put the gas door back on. Hoping to go get my tags today.

Top Speed so far. Will be easy on it for a while and got some bugs to work out. Brakes are spongy and the left front tire brake doesnt seem to be releasing as it was hot.

Last edited by Terrys87; 10-18-2013 at 05:59 AM.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Still alot to do
Paint tailgate and valance.
Brakes
Rear end leak
Redoing interior panels to a wetter looking gray.
Finish wet sanding
Inner fenders put back in
Tune up. I just got new plugs in it and nothing else.
New radiator hose as the one I have is too short for the top.
Fix an exhaust leak.

Last edited by Terrys87; 09-28-2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:13 AM

Wow, man! Congratulations... I'm really hoping for no hang ups there, buddy! GREAT WORK, once again!

Why no SR5 Gauge, Terry? Curious on that. Want me to keep an eye out at the yard?

Dang, ...your 'list' is making me realize my list is huge! hahahaha.

Take care, Terry... hope you can wind down a lil bit and take a breather, too, ya know?
Old 09-28-2012, 01:06 PM

Looking great. Hope it passes inspection.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:18 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Mark..I put an SR5 guage in a week or so ago. That is the guage in it, I just have the steering wheel on upside down and wasnt able to show the tach. I need to spend a day just taking care of alot of small things. I want to strip dash back out and will get the steering wheel on right when I redo the dash. As far as the list, I dont think they ever shrink, they just keep growing. That is just the immediate list that I want done. There is plenty more. I just keep trying to get one thing done at a time and eventually it will start to show.

Hello dsal 86yota...I did pass inspection today. I got my insurance as well, but wont get proof of insurance til Monday so I cant get tags til then. I think the tags are $25 so it shouldnt be to much longer.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Was coming home and we drove by The Chrome Shop Mafia and they were having a big truck show. Got a few pics of the few hundred that was there. Some of the work was amazing.

Brats got to sit in a drag car.

Actual Car

Detailed Engine

The truck.

For those of us that remember BJ and the Bear, almost a twin to it.

One for the kiddos.

Last edited by Terrys87; 09-15-2014 at 11:53 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Got home and started on tailgate and valance. I will replace the valance. Can not get it like I want it to.

Justin drying it for me.

Letting it set a few, getting ready to clear coat.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Just got done shooting the clear coat on it. I had some extra paint left so used it on my trash can. Then I had a little extra clear left so I used it up on my frame. Got some of the clear on my hands and now I feel all sticky. Stuff is hard to get off. Now I am hoping it matches well with the rest of the body??? Wont know til I unmask it later. Either way I will just ahve to deal with it as I dont know about matching.

Last edited by Terrys87; 09-29-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
WOW some seriously beautiful truck those semi's look excellent too

paint should match terry same can same mix
Old 09-29-2012, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Cyberhorn...I should of probably had my butt kicked, but I couldnt leave it alone and see if it matches. I think you will be right. It is still WET and I lucked out and got the paper off. I think once it dries it will be alot closer and once I buff it out.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:52 PM

looked like a good time at the truck show terry, I drove a lot of trucks over the years but none that nice. runner is looking better and better every time I see it great work man. have you had time to check into the brake issue?
Old 09-30-2012, 12:38 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Jason..I havent got to look at the brakes just yet. I got home from work and wanted to get the tail gate painted and that was about as far as I got. I still need to get the rear glass back in and that will be where I stop for a while. I will explain more below.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:57 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I got all of the painting done and think it will match fine. I still need to get the back glass in and get it sealed up to where it can sit outside for a while as I am going to get back on the 88 pickup build this week. I want to get it finished up and need to build up my funds for some other things for the runner.

Today I tried to see what else is needed to get it roadworthy. It passed safety inspection, but they dont drive them and I need to work on my brakes as they are not the way they should be. I do have the funds to get the tags on it this week and I can putt around town or the back roads to see what may need attention.

I know the brakes need attention. While driving it the other day, my charge light came on and that did remind me that when it was a parts truck that I did use the alternator off of it to fix one of the other trucks.

Also I need to get a full tune up kit, wires,cap, rotor and antifreeze. I did change fuel and air filter.

I want to make sure the alignment is good on it and need to replace the rear axle seals on it as they are leaking bad. I wouldnt be surprised if the rear brakes are soaked in gear oil and will need replaced. Still have a lot of wet sanding and buffing to do. Then I want to start getting the interior back in and done up. Carpet and seats will have to wait awhile, but will happen in the next few months I hope. Getting it legal and in one piece hit the budget so need to slow down on it cost wise for a while. Still alot of freebie things that need done like getting all of the pieces back on and alighn all of the panels.

Link to rebuilding alternator >>>> http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/mainte...nator_brushes/

Like I said before it is safety inspected and will be legal but not what I want to put on the road just yet. I did run it thru all 5 gears and the motor sounded great. Now it is on to the suspension. This week is on the 88 pickup build while I build up the funds for the next few weeks. Am hoping to get put together for the Post your pics thread.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:10 AM

Great pics, and x2 on what Dragon said.....

Dude, seriously, the 4runner looks GREAT!

BTW..... THANKS, AGAIN, for the tailgate info! I updated my build thread and even started a new thread on just that. I didn't do a great job of the whole explanation, lol... but I did my best for now. Once again, I wouldn't have even tackled it if you'd not told me, "DUDE, CAKE!" hahaha. It REALLY IS pretty simple.. AND, it made me even more confident in, next, DOING the Rear Wiper Motor Cover Dome light and second deck light.

PS> I could use a phone conference on that stuff, Terry... Maybe when you have more time you can double check my plans, ya know?

L8R Terry, ... you rock! lol.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:12 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Mark..Glad I could help on that. Believe me, I was really intimidated by the whole backglass thing when I first started. When I see people having issues with it on the home page or else where. I try to convince them it is easier then it looks. Same thing with changing out the back glass or having operation problems.

I see you on line alot of times at nite, that is the best time to get a hold of me when it is a good time for when you see me logged on.

Quick Reply: Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance