86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey terry I will have to try and do the peal and seal on mine before the interior goes in for the last time.
Nice little container for nut, bolts etc gonna have to get something like that as well.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:39 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Hello Mark...Your thread is where I seen it mentioned about the case. They only had this one style case at my local store, but this one works great for me. Will be getting another case for the other nuts and bolts and for clips.

Hello Cyberhorn...Having the correct nuts and bolts has come in handy so many times. Seems like each truck I tie into, someone always has hardware store bolts in them. Especially the odd ones like on the intake manifold and timing cover bolts. It is just one layer of the Peel and Seal on the panels. I like what it does for the 88 runner and seems to help with the heat as well in the winter.

Hello Jason..I posted the picture for you. It works great and I have them seperated into size and lengths. So much better then the jar system I was using before. It really doesnt take long to seperate all of them.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:12 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi Terry, look forward to seeing your runner after its painted, I also like the all blue look with the top the same color, should look sharp!
Old 09-17-2012, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Ed..I have been trying to get it as best as possible. Getting it ready and prepped has been the slowest part. I just keep chugging along. I am hoping to get it painted even on Wednesday, but Thursday is looking more realistic. I am trying though.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Doesnt look like much, but I have spent alot of time on it today. Still not even close to where I wanted to get done. Hopefully it will move quicker soon. Masking is not my favorite part at all.

While masking I came across this tag. I know it is a tire size change but any reason why. Different gears then what is common?

Pulled the tailgate off and got the glass out. Trying to eliminate masking and get a better paint job. Justin removing the rust where the tailgate and body come together. He is 10 years and 1 day old now.

Two 10mm bolts hold the door handle on. There is a black tab to remove to access one of the screws. The door has 5 drain holes at the bottom that can get filled with mud and debri. Mine was just filled with dust from working, but thought I let others know to prevent their doors from rusting out. I store the door parts inside the door so as not to lose any parts when I go to reassemble.

Masking is my least favorite. I have full door panels so not worried about overspray on the inside of the doors.

Last edited by Terrys87; 09-17-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:56 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
15x6 rims... where? lol... i thought it had the every day standard 15x7's... no? Anyway, ..... wow, keep finding interesting things, eh?

Great work as usual, great to see the kid on there as well!!!!!!!!
Old 09-17-2012, 03:00 PM

PS> I'm just curious.... Does that back window HAVE TO go up to see if the cables are fuggled? Or at least see what's wrong in there?

Thanks, Terry... I just DO NOT have time any more, lately.. and I just wanna have all my ducks in a row, if YKWIMean, before starting all the next few fairly time consuming projects. The shell wont be too bad... and in a pinch, I can drive my truck to stores, etc., while I have the shell off working on the thing... BUT, I don't even wanna leave it in my driveway with all I have into it(stereo, amp, speakers, etc.), ya know??? I wanna get to that tailgate thing, as I think it's likely gonna cause damage that costs me more.

What's the worst case scenario with the TGate, Terry? The 'locking mechanism', at least from the outside, seems to be in tact and the plastic bushing thing is there, etc. I can push it back with my finger. I'll do a video of it.. Can you watch them if I do one for ya?
Old 09-17-2012, 04:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Terrys87
Was at HF and came across this storage bin for nuts and bolts. Works so much better then my little jar set up and makes assembling these so much easier. Will be getting another one for the other nuts and bolts that I have. Any time I am in the bone yard, I grab as many nuts and bolts I can get my hands on. Salvages are used to seeing me walk out with jars of them. It makes life a lot easier with these builds.

Hey these are great cases I get them at HF myself and have been buying them since they became $7.99. They have deeper ones, but when they get deeper they get to heavy, so this one is the perfect size. You might want to find out it they carry the smaller one which a breeze for the small screws, nuts and bolts. Here's a picture of it its half the size of the one you got and $3.99

Old 09-17-2012, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mark I know you asked terry but I'm bored so I'm gonna answer the best I can. The cables can be accessed with the window down. As well as the outer latches tho the will be a little tough. I'm gonna guess you will find your issue without having to dig to deep into it. OK terry can take over now.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:34 PM

Terry takes the ball, HE IS OFF, TO THE 50, THE 40, THE 30, ...... Mark tackles him HARD at the 25 and DEMANDS HIS PROFESSIONAL OPINION ON 1ST GEN 4RUNNER BACK GATES!!!!!!!! ..................... fhewwwwwww... i actually was jumping around while typing that, literally playing it out in my head! hahahaha.

JK, whatever's clever... and THANK YOU, JASON! Once again.... My homie pops in with a nugget lol.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Is it the same blue as my 83? >>>

Chef thats what I hope mine will look like you just showed me exactly what I want my 82 to look like. Well add 33 10.5's and you got it...

Terry and Jason I hope you are both doin good glad to see someone is getting stuff done...
Old 09-17-2012, 11:55 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Mark.. I just noticed today that it had a tag on it. It had to be done at the dealer for some reason due to tire size change. Kind of hoping I have some better gears in it, but probably couldnt be that lucky.

You dont need the window up to get to the cables. I have my tailgate open/laying down to work on it. The cables are on top when you get the carpet and protective cover off. Make sure you note how they are routed. Seems to me the drivers side can get caught in the lift mechanisim or the gears if routed wrong, if I recall right.

The hinge release that the cable attaches to is the same setup as the throttle cable as it has a slug that runs into a hole and a slot for the cable to go into and slides around so that it cant slip out.

I attach to the hinge and then I attach to the handle assembly. You will need to have hold the hinge in the open positon while attaching it to the handle assembly as it can be a tight fit. With the window in the up position, it would make it a little easier just for having room for your hands, but it can be done in the down position.

If you want post a video on here and I can look at it. My home computer is slowww, but my laptop at work does great for videos.

Hello junk4u...You got that right. With the box that I have and it full of nuts and bolts it is HEAVY.lol. They didnt have the smaller one like you showed but they do run out of stock quite a bit at the store that I go to. That smaller one would be great for the plastic and sheet metal screws. When they get them in I want one of those.

Hello Jason.. I seen on your 97 build about the lack of power. On Mistys truck the cat converter disappeared and a new fuel filter made a world of difference. That is the one thing on a 3rd gen is that they have a O2 sensor up and down stream of the cat so cant remove it. I know just enough about the 3rd gens to get me into trouble.

Hello Brandon...I did alot of work today, it just doesnt look like it. It was all small stuff and still have a ways to go. I am trying to con my brother to come and help me tomorrow to get some of the small things done and help get the shop set up. You need to make a run to Springfield, I am just a little further south.lol. Would like anoter set of eyes. How is maternity going? I feel your pain.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Terry takes the ball, HE IS OFF, TO THE 50, THE 40, THE 30, ...... Mark tackles him HARD at the 25 and DEMANDS HIS PROFESSIONAL OPINION ON 1ST GEN 4RUNNER BACK GATES!!!!!!!! ..................... fhewwwwwww... i actually was jumping around while typing that, literally playing it out in my head! hahahaha.

JK, whatever's clever... and THANK YOU, JASON! Once again.... My homie pops in with a nugget lol.
LOL an i could just see that.. im rather interested in how the lock&lights trim attaches to the gate as mines lose an flopping about i havent tore into it but knowin whats up is half the battle
Old 09-18-2012, 12:03 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Like I mentioned, alot of the small stuff adds up time wise. Will be picking up my paint in the morning and then trying to get the final things done for paint. Still need to get the 85 out of the shop and find a few stands to set parts on so I can paint them. I dont have a valance, but will get one later on and will just paint it later when I do.

Plan on picking paint up for the 88 pick up build this coming Friday as I am doing it for my brother and will try to paint it the following Thursday if all goes well. He is going to be helping me on mine and his shouldnt take long. I will be switching out doors as he wants the vented windows and I have a nice set and shouldnt take long on getting them repaired if need be. I am just more concerned on how long it is going to take to get his bed fixed.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:14 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Cyberhorn..I will get a picture tomorrow of the lock and license plate lights. That part will be easily seen without the window in. I have mine out. You will definetly want your window in the up position for that. Taking the glass out is intimidating to some and it was for me the first time, but nothing to be worried about. I will say that on both runners though, my defrost isnt hooked up and dont know about that and where the red wire hooks to. I really had to piece my tailgates together.

It has been awhile since I messed with the lock and light but it is all in the black piece that say Toyota on the out side. I do remember 3 nuts hold it on and you need to get in an awkward positon to get the nuts out with the glass in and it has to be up. That is where that jumper wire comes in really handy. I understand there is a release to get the window to move up and down, but I like just pushing buttons better. I am guessing the nuts are missing or the studs they screw on to are broken. You might need to get that black trim to fix it. The bulb holders were rusty on mine and just need a wire brush and some scrubbing.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hello Brandon...I did alot of work today, it just doesnt look like it. It was all small stuff and still have a ways to go. I am trying to con my brother to come and help me tomorrow to get some of the small things done and help get the shop set up. You need to make a run to Springfield, I am just a little further south.lol. Would like anoter set of eyes. How is maternity going? I feel your pain.

She is doin well and we are having another girl....looking into buying a house but it has a brand new 24x24 two car shop....LOL

I will be coming out that way either the first weekend or second of October.

What do you mean you are just south of SF? Are you not in Anderson any more?
Old 09-18-2012, 11:43 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Dirtdobber. Congrats on having a girl. We wanted a girl but it didnt work out that way. We have thought of adopting a girl someday. Hope the house works out for you and getting a shop is always a plus. Shops are never big enough but they are nice to have regardless of the size. Wish mine was twice it size but sure beats working outside.

I am still in Anderson, probably will be where they plant me when I kick the can which I hope is aways off from now, I am hoping for 100 if I have my health and everything upstairs still functioning.

Let me know when you go to Springfield and I may swing out that way. I need to go that way anyways, just been putting it off.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:59 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I did get the paint today and had hopes of getting it painted tomorrow but it is looking like Thursday. Still need to finish the hood a little and mostly get the shop ready. Didnt get the pickup out. I went with something a little more metalic.

Just hoping it isnt too much of a difference that the engine bay could look out of place. If it does, I will eventually pull the motor out at a later time and do it as I do want to detail the engine bay as well, but it can wait awhile if it needs it. Everything looks good for Thursday and in the morning I should have all of the small things wrapped up.

I still get a little nervous on shooting the paint as I have only done a handful of paint jobs and always hope the next one isnt the one that bites me in the butt. I usually dont have any problems with runs in the paint. It is everything else like orange peel and bumping into fresh paint with the air hose, Grrr.. Havent dealt with Tiger Stripes either. Will be glad when it is painted. Wish I had new bumpers to put on, but they will come in time and then will start on the interior shortly after I get it painted. It will still look far better then what I started with and looking forward to getting to drive it and enjoy it.

If all goes well, I am planning on painting the 88 pickup next Wednesday or Thursday but I still havent messed with the bed so I maybe jumping the gun on that one. Would like to get it done and that will be all of the painting I do for this year as it will start cooling down quick within the next month or so. These two projects could get wrapped up fairly quick except for waiting on bolt on parts. For my winter project, will start rebuilding a motor for my 85 pick up as I need a truck in a bad way. Dont care for being with out a pick up.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hello Cyberhorn..I will get a picture tomorrow of the lock and license plate lights. That part will be easily seen without the window in. I have mine out. You will definetly want your window in the up position for that. Taking the glass out is intimidating to some and it was for me the first time, but nothing to be worried about. I will say that on both runners though, my defrost isnt hooked up and dont know about that and where the red wire hooks to. I really had to piece my tailgates together.

It has been awhile since I messed with the lock and light but it is all in the black piece that say Toyota on the out side. I do remember 3 nuts hold it on and you need to get in an awkward positon to get the nuts out with the glass in and it has to be up. That is where that jumper wire comes in really handy. I understand there is a release to get the window to move up and down, but I like just pushing buttons better. I am guessing the nuts are missing or the studs they screw on to are broken. You might need to get that black trim to fix it. The bulb holders were rusty on mine and just need a wire brush and some scrubbing.
awesome thank ya terry im gona have to take the entire gate apart eventually to paint it as its the two tone silver gray not red but with the thing flopping around something catches the window unless its held up in place so i want to get it fixed before the glass is damaged
Old 09-19-2012, 11:31 AM

Terry.... out of curiosity(answer whenever you have time, IF you even want to, lol... Really, NO worries or hurries.... I know you're busy ) .............

* WHAT IN THE HECK Fire is it that scratches our windows all in the same place? I'm guessing something is loose in there.... Dragon mentioned the lock and light apparatus... but I think mine is TOIGHT, lol... so I'd guess it's not that. My scratches are JUST LIKE SO MANY.... nearly 2" wide and running the span of the window, vertically. Right about center(?) .... I'll have to get pics. Lil to the right IIRC. It cleans up ok and I'm not talking 'REPLACE' or anything, hahaha... Just thought maybe I could STOP the scratching, ...then clean it up with some 'GLASS REPAIR' stuff I've seen? Cleaned up, it's NOT that noticeable.. But it only takes a couple days and it's 'EWWWWWWW, that's like so Ga'ROOOOOOOOOOOSSSSS', ... as the teens say, lol.

Anyway, MORE importantly... BEST WISHES ON THE PAINT! Honestly, I mean this; I AM VERY excited! That probably doesn't help the nerves, eh? hehehe.

You're quite the phenom, buddy! I think you should come out here for a couple weeks..... Fish for some RUST FREE BEAUTIES..... Take a couple back, leave a couple with me.... (I have contacts in the 'train' industry, hint, hint! hehe).... And let's start a business where you train me over the phone from the front to back, earth to sky!, K??????? hahaha Actually... I'll handle the more 'Flip this Truck'(yes, it's a pun) end of the biz.... Less 'doing it as cheaply as possible' and more so 'as quickly and well done as possible for quick turn around, eh? ALRIGHT, SOUNDS GREAT... I'm booking your flight, NOW!

Quick Reply: Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance