86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Thanks junk4u.. I will check them out for the seat cables as well.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Terrys87
Thanks junk4u.. I will check them out for the seat cables as well.
For the seat cables the best thing to use is the BMX gyro cable lower ones like this. Pretty cheap compared to those offered by Toyota. A a matter of fact I think they are the same per design. Just do a search online for BMX gyro cable Lower.

They are pretty Cheap ranging from $5 to $15 you can also find some on wepay.com

Last edited by junk4u; 08-31-2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by junk4u
For the seat cables the best thing to use is the BMX gyro cable lower ones like this. Pretty cheap compared to those offered by Toyota. A a matter of fact I think they are the same per design. Just do a search online for BMX gyro cable Lower.

They are pretty Cheap ranging from $5 to $15 you can also find some on wepay.com

Man you are a wealth of I need those seat cables as well. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I got the title in my name yesterday and tomorrow the runner goes to the windshield shop. With a little luck, I might get to take it on maiden voyage Saturday or Monday. Got my fingers crossed. Wahoo!!
Old 09-05-2012, 12:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
WOOT! i bet the local windshield shop is wondering if your running a toyota rebuild shop
Old 09-05-2012, 03:38 PM

Received 99 Likes on 70 Posts
Resubscribing.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Cyberhorn...I already told him he has an 85 truck to be doing later on. It is about 6 months off. Its windshield leaks bad, but it is in the shop so it is ok now.

Hello Nervo.. Thanks, Things should start moving along fairly quickly. I am under the gun to get it painted soon as the weather will be turning cold if I dont get going on this thing. Wife is back to working and I have been holding off on it but I am ready to get after it.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I could only work a little at a time as it was 100 degress plus. Soaking wet every time I come in to cool off. I got it back together and it is going to get it windshield in the morning. Was going to drop it off tonite but it is supposed to storm so will be taking it in the morning. For some reason the passenger front blinker stopped working. I will look into it when I get it back.

I can not find a 2 inch lift block that was missing when I got it. I came up with a temporary one for now. Will be getting up early to put the front two blocks in and a few final things.

Back together for a little while and when I get it back will be finishing the body work. Hood isnt latched down and still needs adjusted.

Last edited by Terrys87; 09-05-2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:26 PM

innovative terry!
Old 09-06-2012, 05:44 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

LOL.. I have learned to get creative. It is just temporary until I can find another without having to buy a whole set.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:57 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Dropped the runner off at the windshield place at 6 this morning. Asked Misty if she would mind picking me up. She said "Sure, no problem".....Wellll, that may have not been the exact conversation.lol..

Finally got it to run in all 5 gears, not very long, but they sounded great. Brakes do need some work, and still have another light to look at. It has run better in the past, but I know it has a big air pocket in the motor from me replacing the core support and just need to spend some time tweaking on the motor, but I do like the way it rides. Steering seemed to be great as well.

Except for the motor issues and that is just because I have had the igniton back out and need to do a complete tune up, I was quite impressed with the drive. It needs shocks, door seals,fix a few small rattles, and other things like that, but I think each small improvement will just make things a whole lot better as things move along.

Depending on when I get it back will determine how fast I can get it inspected, but need to address the brakes and lights. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:50 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi Terry, I'm glad that your 4runner was driving well for you! As productive as you are, it wont be long before all the little rattles, door seals, etc are all taken care of and she be as good as new! I hope all goes well on the inspection!
Old 09-06-2012, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Ed... It will start moving quick. I am ready to get it on the road and getting it to where I want to be. I think it will be a sharp little truck. Just a little time on it is what it needs mostly.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I will pick it up tomorrow as they have to clean it up and let some glue finish drying. Picture just wouldnt turn out as the way the lighting was in there. Getting closer to being on the road. Will be starting on the bodywork at the first of the week.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:33 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
HEY, Terry.... GREAT work, as usual!

BTW, I wanted to mention before forgetting; While fishing around in this gutted 4runner, I realized it had a "Underhood Light"........ It was a high temp resistant thingy with a screw cap lid with EXTRA WIRE on the actual light....which had a hook right off it... GENIUS, seriously.. it was back by the Charcoal can and you could flip the toggle and then pull off the light and cover and have all this extra wire ..... then hang it over the engine wherever you're working! The lens was badly cracked, but I LOVED this idea... Been wanting a NICE AND BRIGHT engine work/check oil light for the night time, especially when camping/setting up stuff off the battery, etc., ya know? Where you think they have those? Have you seen one?
Old 09-06-2012, 05:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
HEY, Terry.... GREAT work, as usual!

BTW, I wanted to mention before forgetting; While fishing around in this gutted 4runner, I realized it had a "Underhood Light"........ It was a high temp resistant thingy with a screw cap lid with EXTRA WIRE on the actual light....which had a hook right off it... GENIUS, seriously.. it was back by the Charcoal can and you could flip the toggle and then pull off the light and cover and have all this extra wire ..... then hang it over the engine wherever you're working! The lens was badly cracked, but I LOVED this idea... Been wanting a NICE AND BRIGHT engine work/check oil light for the night time, especially when camping/setting up stuff off the battery, etc., ya know? Where you think they have those? Have you seen one?
Nice progress Terry on all your builds, really wish I could find time to get to mine. I will be doing some rereading on your builds when I finally get around to mine.
Chef I had one of those lights that was factory on my 96 Silverado, and believe me it came in handy many times. If I remember correctly it had appr. 5 feet of line.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:57 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by takeitoutgetitdirty
Chef I had one of those lights that was factory on my 96 Silverado, and believe me it came in handy many times. If I remember correctly it had appr. 5 feet of line.
YES! I think you're right. He probably scrapped his Chebby and kept it or something.. It was NOT some Pep Boys POCrap... it was factory from SOMETHING... and had a green feed wire in it and hook for hanging up. should have just GRABBED IT and tried to find a new lens... But I doubt it's something they sell separately unless it's a factory Chevy light or something, ya know? I DID stash it in the panel in the back... but that thing is NEARLY completely gutted... so I can bet they're gonna yoink it from the yard soon....

what year chevy? 96? I'ma keep an eye out for that era and see if I can't grab me one. Mounts on the lip of the firewall near the charcoal can totally out of the way! THEN, can extend to wherever you need it in the dark on some off road expo? HECKS YES! I have a great lighter plugin Snap On Florescent with magnet to stick to the hood above... BUT, it's not the same, ya know? Plus, that thing is LIL and can get in LIL SPACES and just be constantly juiced via battery power off my aux marine block under my hood.

Terry... thanks on the Antenna comment... it is TOTALLY in tact and the motor is quiet... I would MUCH rather have it powered through my chassis with the proper noise reduction thing in there and down/off/down 3way toggle that's STILL in my dash ......... FACTORY ROCKS, BABY! lol. Just need to replace the mast... but that's NOT a big deal and 35$ from tpz.com or something... right? Might have to find a new telescopic wand... but I see those often in the yards... no one seems to take em... And toyota wants like 169$ for them whole unit... So I think 10$ was worth it, no????
Old 09-06-2012, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
YES! I think you're right. He probably scrapped his Chebby and kept it or something.. It was NOT some Pep Boys POCrap... it was factory from SOMETHING... and had a green feed wire in it and hook for hanging up. should have just GRABBED IT and tried to find a new lens... But I doubt it's something they sell separately unless it's a factory Chevy light or something, ya know? I DID stash it in the panel in the back... but that thing is NEARLY completely gutted... so I can bet they're gonna yoink it from the yard soon....

what year chevy? 96? I'ma keep an eye out for that era and see if I can't grab me one. Mounts on the lip of the firewall near the charcoal can totally out of the way! THEN, can extend to wherever you need it in the dark on some off road expo? HECKS YES! I have a great lighter plugin Snap On Florescent with magnet to stick to the hood above... BUT, it's not the same, ya know? Plus, that thing is LIL and can get in LIL SPACES and just be constantly juiced via battery power off my aux marine block under my hood.

Terry... thanks on the Antenna comment... it is TOTALLY in tact and the motor is quiet... I would MUCH rather have it powered through my chassis with the proper noise reduction thing in there and down/off/down 3way toggle that's STILL in my dash ......... FACTORY ROCKS, BABY! lol. Just need to replace the mast... but that's NOT a big deal and 35$ from tpz.com or something... right? Might have to find a new telescopic wand... but I see those often in the yards... no one seems to take em... And toyota wants like 169$ for them whole unit... So I think 10$ was worth it, no????
chef you can also find those lights under the hoods of jeep grand wagoner's i think 95 an older theirs mounts on the hood itself
Old 09-07-2012, 06:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mark or Terry if you find a good source for OEM motorized mast replacements..

I'm interested..
Old 09-07-2012, 10:14 AM

outsane: i replaced the lady of the houses 90's runner with one from ebay it wasnt hugely expensive an works perfectly want hard to do either came with instructions about a 20-30 min job as ya have to take the inner fender liner aside to get into the antenna motor to let the old shaft free tne feed the new one in from above

Quick Reply: Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance