86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 08:34 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
DANGGGGGGG! you don't mess around, sir! lol.... Core Support it is then!
Old 08-24-2012, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by jason in tn
Wheels and tires can make are break the looks of a vehicle IMHO, and those make your runner man. Looking good terry hard to believe that's the same runner I walked around in your shop back in Feb, I know you will but keep up the great work.
Thanks Jason...I am sure when you first saw it you were thinking it would never run again. It runs great now, within a revolution and a half I would say and she fires right up. The fender was a big hold up for me and with the weather turning cooler, I am busting my rear trying to get it ready for paint.

Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
thank you again terry the picture of your core showed me the fact the headlights have 4 each of the plastic clips behind the headlight buckets

Oh MY terry least give the ol'girl some cover in the front LOL

love the tires an rims is envious! dragon ;-)
Your Welcome Cyberhorn...If you need some pics of different areas let me know and I will get them for you. She got a little more covered today. I think the wheels and tires are growing on me. I like the tires have an aggressive tread on them.

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
DANGGGGGGG! you don't mess around, sir! lol.... Core Support it is then!
Thanks Mark..Now that the wife is working again and fall will be here soon, I am going to be getting this thing on the road as fast as possible. I am heading to the Post Office after I get done posting here. Found a good TPS connector, and the dizzy you will need to put an end on it. Dont have the end that goes to coil. PO cut the end off. Grrr..
Old 08-24-2012, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Starting a new career. Just kidding. The drunk and druggie neighbor finally got her house foreclosed on and left this in the big pile of trash. All of the neighborhood kids just couldnt wait to get into it. My brat brought this over. I have been wanting one for quite some time and it actually works. I will plan on this being a winter project. Take some old seats and try to copy the pattern and see what I can come up with for seat upholsterty. I know it isnt heavy duty enough for upholstry, but will give me an idea if I can do it now.

Now if we could only get rid of the guy that brings all of the junk Toyota trucks around, it would be a good neighborhood. Actually I am surprised at two of my well to do neighabors and the number of strangers and others that like to stop by and see what is shaping up.

Got the water pump and exhaust manifold back on. Just got to get the 3 nuts that hold the pipe on. The top manifold is off of the 85 and checks out to be good. The bottom two maifolds are junk as I can tell. I have tried putting in new studs an once they come out, I have never got them to stay in. JB Weld wont hold up to that kind of heat.

The one with the pipe on it is what I do if I have to pull the manifold off, I cut it down at the "Y" and just pay to have it rewelded. Someone tried bolting it on and it will just cause problems down the road. I am not a fan of headers but will do that if I dont have a good manifold.

I have a hard time finding these. Thought I would post these so if you come across any to grab them. I think you can buy them from the after market. I am a cheapscape.

The reason I am changing drivers fender (wheremy thumb is at) is I have lots of hours just trying to get the gap for the marker light.

What I have had to resort to for good help and that is questionable too as he went to sleep after the picture was taken. I dropped a wrench and exhaust nut and it missed him. He barely moved. Good help is getting hard to find these days.

New fender and core support are on and has some small dings. Still have some adjusting to do, but it has been one of the big hold ups on getting it painted and of coures, fundsss.

Getting there. Have been tinkering with the 85 some, but nothing picture worthy.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:21 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Always a pick me up stopping by your thread, Terry. Way to go on the quick work of things... And .........GIVE THAT DOG SOME COFFEE! hahaha.

I hear tools hit the floor and I JUMP, lol(when I don't expect it).

Thanks, Terry... Have a good one!
Old 08-24-2012, 01:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Nice 2nd chance there Terrys87...

Looks like the original color of that truck was Blue like my original 86 4runner. I can't wait to get started on my 86 as well, but I would like to get the 87 4runner restored first, but I know that once I get the 87 75% restored, I'll end up starting on the 86 4runner.

I would like to get a truck to part out, but hold myself from doing so, I would end up trying to restore that one as well. Its better for me to find pieces than a whole parts truck.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:47 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Mark...I spend half of my time chasing the tools around the shop and off of the floor.

Hello junk4u.. I hear you on trying to restore a parts truck as well. My 86 was used as a parts truck by two others and I used it for myself as well for the 88. It takes alot of time to get all of the nuts and bolts and pieces back together. My 85 is a parts truck. I just little by little start accumulating the pieces. That is the good thing about getting a wrecked or rusted out truck is no restoring it and having all of the odd and ends that are needed.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:26 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice work on the core support and fender Terry! I also like he tire and wheel combo you have on there!
Old 08-25-2012, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow really got your hands full, i did the same thing with my 86 yota pickup, was some1s old huntn truck an the sat for 4 years an was a complet rust puck it, shes a tank now haha,
Old 08-28-2012, 09:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
great work as usual Terry....

not sure how I missed this thread
Old 08-29-2012, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Originally Posted by rustEDyota83
Nice work on the core support and fender Terry! I also like he tire and wheel combo you have on there!
Thanks Ed..I think when I get the paint on and the wheels and tires shined up it will look sharp. That is my hopes anyways. Getting the hood latch to work tied me up more then I thought it would and still dont have it done yet. I going to get it tomorrow if that is all I accomplish I will be happy but have alot more I want to get done.

Originally Posted by 86yotaaa
wow really got your hands full, i did the same thing with my 86 yota pickup, was some1s old huntn truck an the sat for 4 years an was a complet rust puck it, shes a tank now haha,
Hello 86yotaa..It has been a workout, but I have learned so much on this truck and has really boosted my confidence on these. But I have to admit there were a few gloomy days when I wasnt sure what I got myself into wiring harness) It is all down hill from here. Glad to see you were to save another rust bucket. One step at a time and you will get there. Welcome to Yotatech.

Originally Posted by Outsane
great work as usual Terry....

not sure how I missed this thread
Thanks Outsane.. This build sat still for a little bit while I was movig from truck to truck but I am done swapping trucks. Working on an 85 extra cab and am keeping it on my 88 Runner build til next spring or fall, doing an 88 pickup for my brother and now that the wife is back to work in about 2 weeks funds will free up that I plan to have it on the road and painted with in the month. Cool weather is coming so I got to get my butt in gear.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Got tied up on the hood latch and still need to work on it some more. Feel good about the exhaust and water pump. Will need to wait and start it til I know for sure. Just getting little odds and ends done for now. Wife is back to work so I want to get all of the freebies done so when the funds let me get back after it that I wont have to mess with all of the small things.

I need to have the windshield installed and want to do it like I did the 88 pickup and want to eliminate the windshield trim and the runner should pass inspection. Hood latch, clean the windshield channel, and finish getting the front end back together is tomorrows list. Hoping for a great day.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
well electrolysis even blasts the rust lose on frozen screws an bolts terry i was able to get the hold down bracket on my coil off (i got the electronics off first)
the one screw was frozen i set it so the top wasnt in the water but nearly all of the case an let the cleaner do the work the bracket was really rusty an the coil was getting that way too
Old 08-30-2012, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Cyberhorn, I am going to get the things I need tomorrow to start building mine. I spend so much time cleaning and do want rust free.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:06 PM

it'll do it some pieces take hours to days others take less than an hour ive got 4 rusty bolts off the radiator brackets they are being stuborn the bracket is blasting clean far faster 3 layers of paint an dirt with grease
Old 08-30-2012, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I am getting it ready for inspection. Finally got my hood latch assembly working. I am not going to alighn the fenders and hood as I still need to remove the hood and get it painted before doing all of that. Wifes water bucket didnt survive me movin the truck around by the passenger left rear tire. Ooops!! I will hear aboout that later. Was trying something I found on Youtube and a guy that I work with for removing scratches out of window glass. Wasnt impressed so will tr something else.

I removed the clips from the 88 build and liked how it turned out so am removing the glue they use to hold the windshield in. Found some rust in mine as well. I am using a drill and a wire brush but will stop until in the morning when it is cooler and wont be so sticky. It will come off quicker and cleaner when the glue is cooler.

I am thinking my windshield has never been out as it has the rivets. Most I have seen have screws holding the clips in.

Scratches I was talking about. Trying to see if there is a way to remove them. Will try something else.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:11 PM

wow those are some serious scrapes in the glass terry best luck i look forward to seeing what works or not i had to replace my 79's windsheild entirely due to gouges an ect

take it easy in the heat boss
Old 08-30-2012, 02:11 PM

Looking good, now I know what to expect when I remove the glass from my 86 to fix the pillars.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:33 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
wow those are some serious scrapes in the glass terry best luck i look forward to seeing what works or not i had to replace my 79's windsheild entirely due to gouges an ect
take it easy in the heat boss
Hello Cyberhorn.. I seen on the net that they sell a polish for glass. I am looking into it. A truck with glass in good conditon helps out with the appearance alot.

Originally Posted by junk4u
Looking good, now I know what to expect when I remove the glass from my 86 to fix the pillars.
Hello junk4u..I would suggest removing it in the morning while the glue is like bread dough and watch the direction of the wire brush. You want it kicking the material in front of the wire brush. If it is pulling the material to the wire brush, it will run up on to the glue/material and can damage your trim and dash.

I did part of it out side and then finished up in the shop. I have some old blankets and covered the interior and still got some inside the truck. I just took an air hose and blew back out. That is one of the reason I suggest removing in cooler tempertures and it wont smear as it will when it is hot.

Some got on my arm and just my body heat made some stick to me.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:41 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

If all goes well, I might be taking the runner to get the windshield installed next week and get it inspected and tagged. Got to put all of the lights back on which wont take long. I am just ready to start driving this truck. As far as the windshield, I will be doing like I did on the 88 pickup. I have a great windshield and since the shop is just out some material and time, it will cost $70. When they provided the windshield it was $170ish.

By me cleaning the windshield channel I saved a few bucks. I would say that I have about 2 hours in getting the old stuff removed. If you go this route I gave some suggestions to junk4u above that should help out.

Talking to Jason and he read somewhere that 2nd gen tailgate cable are nterchangeable. I just happend to have a 94 tailgate and pulled them to see it was true and they look exactly the same. He was also telling me that the motor and lift assembly are the same from what he read. I didnt take it that far down but it does look possible.

The out side cables (dusty) are the 94s the center two cables are mine.

Last edited by Terrys87; 12-03-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Talking to Jason and he read somewhere that 2nd gen tailgate cable are nterchangeable. I just happend to have a 94 tailgate and pulled them to see it was true and they look exactly the same. He was also telling me that the motor and lift assembly are the same from what he read. I didnt take it that far down but it does look possible.

The out side cables (dusty) are the 94s the center two cables are mine.

It doesn't take to much to make up a cable for the tailgate. I figured it out and all these materials are available on wepay.com you can make several cables for the same about you pay for a one new one at the dealer.

here's a link to the page I posted the material to make one.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f115...34/index2.html

Quick Reply: Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance