86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 12:42 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Wooooooohooooooo, getting close! Can't wait to see it fully clothed! lol.
Hello Mark...It may be losing some more of it cloths before it gets dressed again, but it will get there eventually.. lol. I am still bummed out from missing out on the rolled runner as it had a lot of things I needed and it will add up when I have to piece it together. V6 brakes,tow hitch,better interior, ect... but the funds I had for the rolled one will go to either getting it legal for the road or getting it painted. Not sure which way I want to go just yet.

Originally Posted by Nervo19
Wow that's looking good. I get the impression that you love to block. Do you break out the spray gun to prime or is that rattle can primer?

Thanks for the close ups of the dog leg. My holes are closed up and I'm really close to the final sculpting of that point where the rocker ends. That's what had me stymied. I was away all weekend but hope to get it finished later this week. I have to get a new state inspection and I have an exhaust leak. Maybe they won't notice...
Hello Nervo..Blocking is a work out. I do a 3 foot square at a time. I did from the tail light to halfway over the fender well then from fender well to the door. Keeps it in smaller sections and not getting lost. Got to enjoy each step, but it is nice when blocking that you can see how well it turns out and what it should look like when done. It the little reward for the effort you put in. Blocking is slow and painful on the arm but is a much needed step and helps with getting everything level.

I use a cheap HF spray gun for primer. It cost more upfront for spray gun primer over the rattle can, and for a small section or on the spot repair when painting, I have used rattle can. A spray gun does so much better for priming and cheaper in the long run. As I only get to paint about every 6 months or so, it does kind of give you a refresher course on painting. Not using it the skills everyday, you get rusty.

As far as your muffler, hope it will pass, but if not get to know a couple of your local mechanics. If I need a press or a bolt off that my compressor wont take off and it will only take them a few seconds I can usually get it done for free, but tip and a Thank you goes along ways. It pays off at inspection time when I may need the truck and in a bind and cant have it down.

Here is Missouri, a true inspection takes 30 minute and they only get like $8 bucks for the inspection when they can make more on an oil change or small job. I have a few places I go and they will write up a inspection sticker without even checking my truck out. They also know my trucks will get in good condition anyways.

Originally Posted by RMP8080
starting to look like a piece of art, waiting for the finish......
Thanks Bill..That is one reason I really like to take on a big project. I want something a little more then just a good waxing and a good tune up to a new truck. For even as worried as I was about swapping the wiring harness and the fuel injector issues, it was a good learning experience and quite satisfying.

It is nice knowing my trucks inside and out and this is one I am planning on being my keeper. First get it to a nice stock condition and over the years make some nice upgrades. My long term goal is to have this truck sharp and dependable and being on the comfy side while driving. Just due to the funds issue I think I can have this as nice as the 88 in three more months. That is my goal anyways, sooner would be better.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:52 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

One of my long term goals is to do a diesel swap in this runner. I have been spending alot of time looking for information on the OM617 Mercedes. Looks like it gets a lot of good reviews. This is something that will be a year or so out and the biggest reason will be for the mileage. These runners only get 21 at best from my experience. I am hoping to get in the 30s or higher if I am lucky.

I am also looking into the VW TDI diesel. Hear a lot of good on them. Been trying to see which one would best fit my needs and be the simplest and most dependable motor out there. Been getting blurried eyed reading on this future swap. This is still aways out as I will try to have an entire car and all parts so as not to have it down for the least time as possible and have as much information available to me when I do it.

I drive diesels quite a bit, just havent ever really worked on one and would be a new experience.

Last edited by Terrys87; 05-15-2012 at 12:54 AM.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:01 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
WOW, now that's an update! lol. Hope you find just the right write ups to guide you right through it. Truckman did it, think he did quite a bit of tutorial. Also, some that commented on his swap thread did it as well.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Mark..Its a wayyyss out but it is a long term goal. I do alot of driving so am hoping it pays off in the long run as I am keeping this truck.

I did go get some more body supplies. Mostly thinner and sandpaper. The store is a mom and pop place and he can get paint for alot less then the stores I have been going to.

I spent alot of today asking a few of the body shops about the paint that he sells and it has good reviews with them.

I think I have plenty of clear coat left from my last painting so if I can come up with a fender, I am really hoping to get the runner painted sooner. Something that I really thought was further down the road. It is one I havent heard of, but if it works I will be quite happy. If not I will be doing some more sanding.

Tomorrow is my day off and not anything planned that I know of so I have big intentions of getting most of the interior stripped, finish blocking and see if there is something I can do with the fender. Trying to see if I can get it close to paintiing as possible. Today got me excited to see if I can get it in paint soon.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:17 AM

WOOT! I'm excited too, man! lol

I wish I could get away to the yards for ya/CL calls and pick up.... Just lemme know and I can try to CL route, much easier. I'd be glad to, for either you or Jason/both.

Always this route if "you just HAVE to have it by tomorrow!!!" as the old commercial went! hahaha. >>>>

http://www.jcwhitney.com/replacement...d=d2166y1987j1
Old 05-15-2012, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Terry, nice idea, me too want some kind of diesel as I got two right now, the om617 looks great both the ones I've seen for sale are to nice to swap out the motors. Toyota made some forklift diesels but I have not seen them in Toyota trucks. Keep us posted and have you get all the bugs out than I will follow....lol
Old 05-16-2012, 12:53 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrys87
One of my long term goals is to do a diesel swap in this runner.
I too am looking at this for a future mod, all be it in a slightly different configuration, Chev 6.5 Turbo, there is a company in West Oz that can legally shoehorn a chev into the 4Runner with a landcruiser Auto Gearbox/Transfer case & diff's for about $20K, they get phenomenal MPG's ... 40+. I have driven one of their conversions in a Landcruiser - was very impressed with the torque....

Last edited by Kitty's 4Runner; 05-16-2012 at 12:56 AM.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

WOOT! I'm excited too, man! lol

I wish I could get away to the yards for ya/CL calls and pick up.... Just lemme know and I can try to CL route, much easier. I'd be glad to, for either you or Jason/both.

Always this route if "you just HAVE to have it by tomorrow!!!" as the old commercial went! hahaha. >>>>

http://www.jcwhitney.com/replacement...d=d2166y1987j1
I will get with Jason and may have to see if he cant pick some up whenout that way. I checked a aftermarket dealer in KC. $50 for a fender but $80 for shipping. Ouch. I can drive it for that. Plus they are out of stock.Grr...

Originally Posted by RMP8080
Terry, nice idea, me too want some kind of diesel as I got two right now, the om617 looks great both the ones I've seen for sale are to nice to swap out the motors. Toyota made some forklift diesels but I have not seen them in Toyota trucks. Keep us posted and have you get all the bugs out than I will follow....lol
I havent been able to find a wreck one and the ones I have seen have been nice and more then what I wanted to spend for one. I got plenty of time for one to pop up if all goes well and when the time is right. But I have been a day late and a dollar short. When I find one hope it wont happen.

Originally Posted by Kitty's 4Runner
I too am looking at this for a future mod, all be it in a slightly different configuration, Chev 6.5 Turbo, there is a company in West Oz that can legally shoehorn a chev into the 4Runner with a landcruiser Auto Gearbox/Transfer case & diff's for about $20K, they get phenomenal MPG's ... 40+. I have driven one of their conversions in a Landcruiser - was very impressed with the torque....
That may sound like a lot of money, but for the price of fuel and if you drive enough, it would probably pay for itself overtime. If you are going to make it a keeper, in the long run it is still cheaper then payments or a newer truck. I like the 22re and when fuel was reasonable mileage was great, but now it has limited me on my traveling. Im not looking for a go fast truck (having a 22re proves that lol) but torque and mileage would be great.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:11 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Had more pics and info but got logged off (Grrr..) and lost it so this is will be a quick update. All the dents are filled and half of runner is block sanded. I paint the inner fener wells for a cleaner look. Getting it muddy awhile back was funnny then but not when I got to clean it back up today.

The Runner is stripped again. Begining to wonder if truck is never going to stay in one piece.jk. Will make it so much easier to paint and less masking.

Looks like today or tomorrow I will be buying a 87 or 88 standard cab 22r for a fix and sell. Needs gas tank ( just the way it works for me) front shafts and maybe a windshield. I plan on just cleaning it up and making it look nice to sell and use the profit to speed mine up. I will have it looking good an running good and it will be a fast turn around on it. I wont do such a tear down on it as I have in the past.

It will be part of this build since it is just being done to fund my runner. I am rusty in the carburator area but think it will be a nice truck when finished. I only plan on it being here for a month or so. My runner will be hauled off to my dads as he lives in the country and am afraid if I had another truck here the neighbors would complain. It is the one I want done and want it back here as soon as possible.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another truck! Terry I need to come work with you....LOL.....I hope things are going good, it looks like it.

My buddy was planning on a diesel swap into his 87 as the 22re is bad ....he thinks, I dont see any thing wrong besides the rockers having 3/8" of movement before it pushes the valve, I told him I would get it running for him and he said I want a diesel...I might get it and show him how well it will run.

I too thought about the forklift engine.

Hope you have a lot better time with the paint this time Terry!
Old 05-17-2012, 10:34 AM

WOOT, gonna grab that rig, eh?
Old 05-17-2012, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diesel swap would be awesome. The vw diesel 1.6 liter is call maine if you're not do anything heavy duty. I'm looking at that and the 1.9 if I do a swap on my truck
Old 05-17-2012, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Originally Posted by dirtdobberoffroad
Another truck! Terry I need to come work with you....LOL.....I hope things are going good, it looks like it.

My buddy was planning on a diesel swap into his 87 as the 22re is bad ....he thinks, I dont see any thing wrong besides the rockers having 3/8" of movement before it pushes the valve, I told him I would get it running for him and he said I want a diesel...I might get it and show him how well it will run.

I too thought about the forklift engine.

Hope you have a lot better time with the paint this time Terry!
Hello dirtdobber.. I am thinking a diesel swap will happen about a year from now. I want to get mine going and enjoy it will I acquire all of the parts.

Come on out, I got enough to keep 10 guys busy. I did have some new helpers I hadnt seen in he past. Had 3 of the neighbors and my 2 and 2 new kids. I let them get the old paint off and they actually helped alot.

Originally Posted by dsal_86Yota
Diesel swap would be awesome. The vw diesel 1.6 liter is call maine if you're not do anything heavy duty. I'm looking at that and the 1.9 if I do a swap on my truck
Hello dsas_86Yota..I am still looking into the simplest, most efficeint, and dependable one. I wont be doing any heavy duty with it. I am always towing something but not heavy as I am limited on the weight with it. I will be keeping an eye on what you are doing. Been spending ALOT of time on the diesel swaps and other sites.

WOOT, gonna grab that rig, eh?
Hello Chef..I got it. Wouldnt mind keeping it for myself but this is just to help fund my 86 and maybe another bill or two. I have done it in the past and has always worked out for me. If I was keeping it for myself, I would convert it to 22re and either use my Downey bed or my flat bed. I do know where there is a 87 Extended cab SR5 sitting and has been for 5 years. It is on the back of my mind for a future project.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I am not going to start another build thread but I did get a 88 Standard cab 22re. If I read the door tag right it said it was manufactured in Dec 88 which would change it to the next bodystyle. I got this one to fix and sell and to fund my 86 Runner. Paid $700 for it. Supposedly needs front shafts, windshield, and not getting fuel from the tank. I havent tried starting it to see yet. Might luck out and it be something simple. I am expecting the worse and hoping for the best.

The cab and front end is really solid. I will do the best I can on the bed as it had things in the back and rotted the floor. If I was keeping it I would add a new bed instead of fixing this one. I plan on working on the exterior of the bed but not too much on the inside.

I am planning on doing a panel every day or every other day. I really am not planing to keep this for much more then a month. Get it running, paint, and clean the interior. Spent all day getting it and have done alot of getting the old paint off of it. It was repainted with something that was a poor paint job and is difficult getting off. Even a kid that was helping said it was a bad paint job.

Passenger side at PO.

Driver side at PO.

Before sanding.

After one hour.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:27 PM

DAYUMMMMMMM! That kid is good! lol. NICE< and wow, I can't believe that cleaned up so quickly! Gonna slap some filler in the rust holes on the sides/floorboards and bed, paint it, get it running and call it a day?????
Old 05-17-2012, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I will be sending my runner to my dads place until I get this one fixed and sold. I want to get it done and this should speed things up in the long run. It will pass inspection and a day of final sanding and it would be ready for paint. It is really close to being done, just a lot of small things that I want to do and it all adds up. It has been a long day, and the truck looks alot different already.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:29 PM

That's AWESOME, Terry! Can't wait to see it done.... Will be sorry to see it go! lol. But hey, you don't wanna collect 20 of them, right? lol. I TOTALLY get the jest of 'why I got this'!

Best wishes, buddy!
Old 05-17-2012, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Mark.. It looks alot better now then what is showing. have a small spot on the passenger fender and it will be done. I want to do the bed right, but dont have the welder to do it. Think I will try fiberglass. If I was keeping it, I have a friend that has a wrecked truck and could get it. This build will move quick.

Got the bed bolts soaking in PB Blaster to get to the tank. Me and gas tanks, urgg. No biggie. I have done them before. Should of seen the underside. A ton of mud. I will get some interior pics and motor pics tomorrow. Engine bay cleaned up fairly well. Interior is dirty and will have some before and after pics of it. Usually a good tear down and a trip to the carwash makes a BIG diffenece.

The put a 94 third brake light in and ruined the head liner. Not sure how I will go about and fix it.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:34 PM

Sure, and shoot some gloss black on that frame and axles, too! I did that and it really looks amazing comparatively, ya know?
Old 05-17-2012, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Mark..I seen a 70 Blazer today. Looked identical to what you had tried to get a pic of it. It looked really great. I will try and get a pic of it tomorrow. It is for sell along the road side. Would be cool if it your old one, which I highly doubt but you never know.

Quick Reply: Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance