86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 01:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a really inspiring build terry.

I just read every word on every page, You have a lot of passion with your trucks and you put it to good use. Keep up the good work, I can't wait to see her finished.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Hello Chef..That was a great looking little 83. I am going to stay with this color. I learned my lesson on changing colors on my flatbed. I know Jason is learning his lesson. It is a big job to do it right. I think yours is a sharp red. But Toyota did do a great job on all of their colors.

Hello Nervo...Acrylic Enamel is cheaper to paint, it is what I painted my flatbed in but like you said it fades alot quicker. One good thing about single stage (Acrylic Enamel) is when you see a gray car with dead paint or chalky paint, it can be brightened back up with some rubbing compound. I once buffed out a friend 64 gray Impala and he was going to have it repainted, it buffed to a nice silver. Red is another color that I have done from a pinkish to a nice looking red.

I like base coat/clear coat as it has a wetter,shiney finish and seems to have more color options and seems to last longer.The 3rd gens are going 10 plus years and still look new to me. I use Nasson which is as I understand is a cheaper version of Dupont. With all of the paint and clear coat materials, $250 is a good safe figure to use. Dupont makes a higher grade but so is the price but does great for matching on partial repairs, paint that is 4 or 5 years old an a new repair and you cant tell the difference.. There are other brands, House of Kolor is suppose to be a good one also.

I use Nasson as it is cheaper and paint the entire truck so dont have to worry about matching. The cost of paint can be astounding. Once wanted to do one in Candy Apple Red. Not no more. The amount of colors and skill is beyond my ability and then the cost of paint. When I priced it was $1000 for paint alone. Then you have to get it on right.

I have seen on TV and talked to autobody shops and you will get a 50/50 answer on using sealer. Some say it is a waste of money, just use primer other say use sealer. When I painted the 83 in my earlier post on this thread, it was a first for me. I am a big believer in it. When you use just primer, you normally are priming over 3 different shades under neath. The metal, the bondo and the old paint. You can see with one or two coats of primer the difference in the shade of the primer over the different material underneath. Sometimes it can take several layes of primer to get one solid shade.

Sealer with one coat makes everything one solid shade and you dont have such a thick layer of when everything is done. Sealer also helps fill in small scratches. Primer will to a small extent. Paint, just shows them up, it wont fill anything.

From what I have been seeing on the net and TV, they have a water based paint for enviromental reasons, but seems like once you get used to spraying it, the colors and looks are really outstanding. Still havent ventured into that area or seen it in person. Supposed to great.

Painting isnt as scary as I once thought it was. I had an older guy show me and I just took off from there. Getting the bodywork is your biggest issue. From filling the dent to final sanding, masking, all require patience but your speed will increase. I really feel if you can rattle can, using a spray gun is just a larger rattle can. Getting your mix ratio right is a big thing but once you mix so much of this to so much of that, it isnt as bad either.

Dont mean to ramble but, if you want I will post more of what to expect when painting. Better have a stong arm. It takes me about 10-15 minutes to make a complete round and when you are making roughly 3 or 4 rounds of paint and then I like 4 to 5 rounds of clear as alot will get wet sanded and buffed off. It is a good 3 or so hours of painting.

Keeping the same distance, same speed, same number of coats, there is alot to it. Nothing to be afraid of. I think you would get some great satisfaction from it. How many can say they painted their own? If you are thinking of doing it, I say Go For It, I will help best as I can, just ask. I have just basically learned on my own and am no way a professional, but I am proud of where some of my results were just as good as a pro for a lot less.

I will get you some pics of the rock guard areas. Later today or tomorrow.

Hello Bill.. My first 3 trucks I did were red and had been asked it the 88 was going to be red. I think red looks sharp and like black, I just a wimp on black right now.lol.. Changing colors is a royal pain. Just because I notice the jams and under hood. I am not brave enough to do black. Black will show any little imperfection. I am hoping to one day get good enough to do black and will give it a go on a truck or car that I want to make look better then it was and is orginally black to begin with.

Hello Jason... Just commented on you learning your lesson too. I know what you are going thru.lol..(What was I thinking??) Changing my flatbed from white to red and that was not having to do a bed. You will have one of the rarest colors, one reason I would like to do something that looks like it could of been factory. Your Ford was a good idea on yours.

Thanks 4BYDUDE.. Every truck has been a great learning experience. Some of the problems I ran into I was in over my head at times and the wiring harness really had me worried and then having the injector issue didnt help with the concerns I had on how well I had done on my wiring. Looking back now the only thing I havent had to tackle is a computer issue. Hoping that one doesnt come for some time now.lol..

The backhatch on my 88 was really intimidating and fixing this one now has been really rewarding. I have been able help people with injector issues or backhatch and in one case on how to identify which harness was needed, I think they may have thought I actually think I know what I was talking about.

I remember being all new to mechanicing and runnig into issues on these trucks, and being daily drivers how critical it can be when one has a problem. I figure with the projects I tie into that if I can fix that, they will think " Mine isnt that bad." Really appreicate the compliment.

I got to go to Perth twice. Of all of the countries I have been to, Australia is tops on the list as the culture is great there. Really liked there. When I was young and single, I tried to get a job there. It was great. Thailand s next on the list for the recreation and food.

My mother in law went to Hawaii and with a little planning I said she could of gone to Australia for the same price and had much better time. I did almost get run over as we are so used to looking right when crossing the street. My fualt, guess the guy didnt think I would make a good hood ornament. Thankfully.

You have such a better selection of trucks there and being able to get diesels. Urgghh!! We can only wish. I had a Runner or they called Surfs there like yours. It was nearly identical to yours but the rust got to it. Those are some great trucks. Miss mine. It had the gray interior.

I really hope to have this truck back to factory condition in about 6 months or so if all goes well. Just got to wait for the money tree to hurry up and grow. Really want to get this on the road then the next upgrade will be a pressing issue. Never ending cycle.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Got the 88 legal again. Tags were expired by 2 days. Just something I am always doing at the last minute. If you are in this area use the Neosho Tag Office, I was in and out in 5 minutes. The Pineville tag Office, I have been there for an hour plus. Never again. Always heard good of Neoshos.

Also while in town, I did drive by a body shop and seen my nephew had his truck from the last page, that I had done a few years ago going to get it fixed. Was gald to see that.

While I was out I found this 2nd gen that I think would be a good candidate for just a plain rub down with some rubbing compound. The sides and top are pinker then what iat looks like on the picture. I think you would be surprised at what it would look like after a few hours of working on it.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Nervo.. Here is the passenger side rock guard. I tried to get in the color it is and then with some rattle can primer. The out line is actually form the rock guard. Tomorrow when I get to the drivers side I will get pictures of it in blue, sanded and primed. If you need some different angles, let me know. Primer is the bes of this side. Will see what blue looks like on other side, but need to take interior off to get the rock guard.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

There is one spot still need to get on this area and wont take long. I did have a dent behind the guard and no one would of noticed but I knew of it and even though it wouldnt be seen still wanted it done.

WIll be removing as much trim as possibe for a better paint job.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:11 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Ahhh, it's not the 'blueberry' blue... it's the 'Flat Midnight'??? Or is it metallic? Either way, i know both of them, and I like them all when they're clean. I agree, toyota had some great colors to match body style, etc... they really thought about how each color would actually look on the rigs(I'm sure most do, but they chose well, ya know?). Even the 1st and 2nd Gen PU's, the Orange ones were great, too! Those whites were MUCH brighter, and I like the 3rd Gen PU, like yours, but 85 or so, that are that Egg Shell white, kinda off white/SUPER light yellow/tanish, ya know? NOT like spearo's...NOT like my 86>>>

More like this.........

Maybe it's called "Desert Tan" ????? lol. It's a lil less Gray than toyospearo's, ya know the one I mean? lol.

Sorry, rambling, .... brain is boiled cabbage right now.... zzzzzzzzzzzzzz....... hehehe.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:45 PM

Terry, Blue with a Blue cap?
Old 05-02-2012, 01:45 PM

Mark, nice...white
Old 05-02-2012, 02:04 PM

Thanks, RMP.... you should have seen that thing when I got it. Bummed I didn't get pics..... It was TOTALLY oxidized so bad that You couldn't get a single flash of light off it, lol... But being white?>>> EASY as pie compared to my RED or some darker color to clean up! Took around 2 days of spare time, total 8 hours... Compound/TR8/Cleaner/Wax/Polish, ...lots of each, lol. What Terry is doing is something I'VE NEVER tried to tackle so deeply. I scarededed of paintin stuff w/out more practice! I mean, I'd want it to look AT LEAST as good as mine does now, ya know?

Terry, I can't wait, man.... GONNA BE A 'BLUE STREAK'! Lol
Old 05-02-2012, 02:13 PM

Received 99 Likes on 70 Posts
Terry, thanks. That second picture is exactly what I needed. I'm on a roll and I should finish the rock guard area in the next couple of days. It's been half done for more than a year. In your earlier post where you said you had to take off rear interior to get to the rock guard from behind I was surprised...and then I remembered I just yanked and the guard and half the panel came off! There was a fist sized chunk of dirt where the metal should have been.

This is before repairs began:

Last edited by Nervo19; 05-02-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:29 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Mark... Mine is the Blueberry. I know the other color, like a gray/blue metallic. I like it real well also. That was a nice runner you had. I had some 88 flashbacks.lol

You see the desert tan once in awhile around her. I like the standard cab and the extended cab. I know where there is a 87 SR5 that has been sitting in the field for 5 years. The wife wants to sell it and the hubby wants to keep it. I would like to get it someday and hope when I get this one going maybe the timing will be right.

I see an extended cab 2nd gen truck yesterday that was in orginal conditon or restored really well in the blue/gray metallic. It was sweet looking. I am always checking the back roads for future projects. Found a Blueberry standard cab that had 33s on it and a lift.

The one thing that made this truck look so good is that it had the grass mowed around it several times and the grass was about a foot high. Means one day it might be for sale. Sometimes people will sell just because they dont know how to fix.

Either one of the two trucks I just mentioned I would jump on in a minute, but got to get this one finished. That is one thing I like about what I have learned on these is regardless of the problem, I know I could get them running.

Hello Bill.. I have thought of having a blue cap, that would look factory and only a Yota guy would know that it didnt come that way. Also have thought of a two tone. I like the silver that is on the front end and it would look good with something like that. I am just limited in my artist and color matching abilties. I know the right combo could set it off well.

Hello Nervo.. I have always liked the rims you have on your truck. I knew you have been working on yours for awhile. The top tab has a screw that holds it in. I am not sure if there is a way to get it out without removing the inside panel. The bottom tab is just a trim tab that is easily replaced. Mine broke but it is available from Toyota or a generic tab will do.

That is one reason I spend about as much of the time washig the underneath as I do on the top side. Another thing I do is remove the trim that can hold dirt and water. I can admire the fact you are getting yours fixed. I am still getting the tools for my shop and when I can get a MIG or TIG welder, I want to learn how to go about replacing panels.

I want to be able to look at a panel like that and think piece of cake to fix. Just something that has always fascinated me. Eventually would like to do the same thing for a collision fix. I wish I could back about 20 years and learned this then instead of now.

One thing you will like when your project is done is you know where the damage was at and you did it. You will be your own worse critic, but the satisfaction is there just as much.

Jason and I are trying to get the funds to buy that roll over and I am saving the common panels that rust out on these just for the purpose to learn how to repair things just like you are doing. Hang in there and you will get it. Post pics on here of where you are at and when done. One day you will be able to go back and remember where it all started and when it is done. Bodywork is my favorite in these builds.

Last edited by Terrys87; 05-03-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:42 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I have to play Army from Friday til Sunday this weekend but wanted to get some pics of the progress made yesterday. I got the left fender done and will have to go back and do some small touch ups. Pretty much got the hood done as well.

I did have some help. My oldest heard me working and wanted to run the sander. He really liked it. Actually he did a great job. Then my youngest and his friend came out and wanted to do the same thing. I had to let one run a sander and then so the other two wouldnt get bored I got some sanding blocks while waiting for their turn and they were just as content with the blocks. I will need to go back to where they over did it some, but the bondo is a cheap as fix. They went at it for awhile and I got the shop cleaned up while they did the work. I tried to show them some other tools. It called a broom and dust pan. They werent intrested in those tools.lol

A while back I had kid to stop by and seen me working on the brakes and he wanted to help. He got to do alot of the pumping while I bled the brakes. He just thought that was the greatest thing. His dad works at an autoshop but doesnt do alot with him, so I will let them help were possible.

First one.

Then two more.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:59 AM

Wow, I see that kinda 'I WANT THAT' stuff every day! lol. Actually, there's a guy with a 71 Jeep with a 406, lifted, inside cage with built in Defender Rack, OMGOSH THE THING IS SICK! lol. 8mpg, ...but sick! lol.

What I mean is,.. I FEEL YA! Most of it is stuff I can't get my hands on...and the stuff I can, I don't need! lol.

THANKS for the thoughts and prayers, homie

THERE, I fixed it too! lol. Wasn't tryin to razz, honest bud! lol. Just made me laugh... Thought about that while out, .... sorry! lol.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 05-03-2012 at 09:27 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Mark... lol that is GRAY.lol I went and fixed it and a few others. I really try to check things when I post. My keyboard has some bad keys and I just got done doing a Restore on my computer as it keeps having problems. Computer is starting to frustrate me. Gray/metallic Blue Thanks for catching it for me.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Got what I wanted roughed in just have drivers door, drivers rear side and tailgate. Still having issues with the drivers marker light. Hoping to get primer next week and start getting it block sanded out soon. Hopefully I will be able to get the rest of the truck finished Monday when I will have a cance to get back on it. Starting to look really straight body wise.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:28 PM

Edited my post too, lol.... Otherwise, it would have been immortalized in my 'QUOTE', lol. Sorry bout that.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:06 AM

And you said you didn't have a power sander looks like you have 3 lol. Great to see the boys out there giving you a hand, won't be long and it'll be there trucks your working on.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:43 AM

Dude, that pic of them helping you? PRICELESS! Man, .... I would loved to have had a son as well, ....but more just for 'having a son as well', ahhahaha... Cuz my girls were out there with me many times. BUT, not on the Yota as much... by then they were teens, interested in other things, hahahaha. They helped on my 70 CST Blazer lots though.... They was lil'r than those dudes then, lol.

Great pics! Keep up the good work
Old 05-04-2012, 11:47 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
It's good to see your boys out there helping you on your 4runner, I can't wait until my son is a little older and can give me a helping hand (he's almost 4) right now he just likes carting off my tools and digging with them, LOL. Its looking really good Terry, can't wait to see it after you get some color on it!
Old 05-04-2012, 12:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Your a good man Terry - fantastic to see the next generation of Yotalovers having a go & getting their hands dirty, your trucks are looking awesome !!

Quick Reply: Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance