86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I am basically legal. Just need to get the windshield back in and fix my exhaust leak. Got all of the lights working. Wasnt as bad as I thougt it ws going to be.

There is the bumper I had to buy just to get mine working.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ugh!!!!!! Every time I read your thread I feel like crap. But I'm really happy how this thing is coming together for you great work as usual.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I have a tough time with rear brakes. Mostly notes for me. I will go and put these videos in other parts of my build.

Other Videos
Rear Seal

....Rear Pinion Seal

89-95 Runner rear window

....Solid axle seal removal

Removing Crankshaft bolt.

..........Diff Breather extenders

........Steering Stops

....Remove/ Install Hubs

.......Fuel Injector cleaning

Last edited by Terrys87; 12-14-2012 at 05:23 AM.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:31 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
hey buddy.....you make my head spin with all the projects and sub-projects. makes me think of all the stuff I should be doing.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Jason.. This is supposed to be a motivating thread.lol..I figure if I can take a bombed out truck like this one,others will think "mine isnt that bad, I can do that".

Thanks Jerry.. I forgot to put it in my previous post,but I did ge my horn fixed.Yahooo!! I have been jumping around getting some of the easy things. I still have some I have been putting off. It will slow down here soon.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I actually didnt get as far as I had hope. I did get the horn on and working and started working on another dent. Spent more time then I would of liked on trying to get the gap for the drivers marker light to where it looks like it was never dented there. I think I will take a break from that one and come back to it later. Sometimes that works best just taking a break from one you get stuck on.

Then my nephew came over and spent the rest of the day getting his truck fixed. He doesnt know anything about mechanicing and so helped him get alot of his basic maintance done and caught up. I could of had his truck done alot quicker and could of gotten back on mine sooner, but figured it would be for his benefit and I would just be doing it again the next time.

I did go and ask a windshield place about replacing my gooey stuff for a seal for a rubber seal. They said they didnt have any acces to it or know about switching from one to another. I then asked what they would charge to put mine in . They said $120. I have a good windshield so that gave me incentive to see if I can do it. I have done windshields in the past, but they were the rubber gasket.

I have had them replace one on my 3rd gen for $190, I told them I had my own windshield, so I dont know what they were thinking. I started looking on Youtube for tips on reinstalling a windshield and came across several different videos. I will go back and post them in my threads where I think it could help others. I remember being a newbie at one time and in some areas, I still am. I have always had a tough time with rear brakes so one video led to another.

I have been posting videos in my past post for quite sometime now. I will eventually try and make this build a more useful thread at a later time. (Rainey/Cold day)
Old 04-19-2012, 08:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey Terry, I'm interested in what you come up with on the windshield install. I got a good one in my 85' parts truck that I want to put in the 4Runner, I've been considering "trying" to install it myself, I've never attempted one before, but anything that will save me some $$$ is worth a try, lol, good luck with yours!

Last edited by rustED; 04-19-2012 at 08:36 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:43 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Very cool resources, those videos, Terry!

Your thread is VERY inspirational to me. I'm not techincally a newb... but I feel I'm forgetting more than I'm remembering on this stuff at a rate I don't like much! hahaha.... But it's just cuz 'life' can be 'BIG' at times.... it will all come back to me! lol.

Always love checkin in here... So I will concur with Jason and Jerry..... "HOLY CRAPOLI, lemme catch up with ya!" hahaha.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Terry, watch the videos at work, give me something to do......
Old 04-20-2012, 02:09 AM

Joe's windshield trim is partially missing and I have the missing pieces (sent to me by KIYO) but I haven't touched them because I really don't like the chrome. I want to go with the rubber stuff. just not sure how or from where.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:40 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Originally Posted by rustEDyota83
Hey Terry, I'm interested in what you come up with on the windshield install. I got a good one in my 85' parts truck that I want to put in the 4Runner, I've been considering "trying" to install it myself, I've never attempted one before, but anything that will save me some $$$ is worth a try, lol, good luck with yours!
Hello Rusted...I have been looking into getting the silicone/glue for the windshield. Finding a rubber replacement hasnt been as easy as I was hoping. Have found some info on the net, but nothing that I have really cared for. I am going to go to a few more windshield places and see what they have to offer.

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Very cool resources, those videos, Terry!

Your thread is VERY inspirational to me. I'm not techincally a newb... but I feel I'm forgetting more than I'm remembering on this stuff at a rate I don't like much! hahaha.... But it's just cuz 'life' can be 'BIG' at times.... it will all come back to me! lol.

Always love checkin in here... So I will concur with Jason and Jerry..... "HOLY CRAPOLI, lemme catch up with ya!" hahaha.
Thanks Mark..It is nice to know I have some info that can help you. You have had some tough fixes and have always been able to get to the bottom of them. You are persistant. I am still trying to find some more info on your smog and not having much luck. You have a bear of a problem with that one but I know you will get it.

Originally Posted by RMP8080
Thanks Terry, watch the videos at work, give me something to do......
Thanks Bill..I have been stumbling into alot of videos lately and some of those I really wish I had known of when I first started on these trucks. Some great ideas on these.

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
Joe's windshield trim is partially missing and I have the missing pieces (sent to me by KIYO) but I haven't touched them because I really don't like the chrome. I want to go with the rubber stuff. just not sure how or from where.
Hello Jerry...I agree with you. I am hoping to find a replacement. That metal is rust looking for a place to happen. I havent thrown in the towel just yet. If I find something I will defenitely let you know.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:04 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Before I found Yotatech, I had found this 89 pickup. I bought it for the wife but it got to small for her and the kids and wound up selling it to my nehew for what I had in it to buy a 91 extended cab. This 89 I had bought from a kid that had abused it and it was in bad shape when I got it. When I got done with it, I was really happy how it turned out.

I like for my projects to look like as new as possible when completed and just as dependeble. I did have some further plans for it but made the mistake of selling it to my newphew in hopes that he would really fix it up into something nicer. That didnt happen. I dont have any pictures of when I first got the truck but the first picture are what it looked like when I got done with it. I was still learning about posting pics and wish I would of know of YT then to show my before and after pics of it.

This site is nice for keeping up on where you have been and where you are. I have encouraged others to go back to their first page to when they first started their projects and am glad I have done on my projects. Just wish I could of done one on the 89.

Here is when I got done with it. I tried to enlarge the picture and wish I had more of it which is one regret I have in general is not enough pictures.

Here unfortunately is how it has turned out after selling it to my nephew. It doesnt look like it got into the frame and I have offered to buy it back from him and if I can find a new cab, I can get it back on the road as I do have a stash of 89-95 truck parts. About the only flaw I had on it when I owned it was a little rip in the drivers seat. This truck really looked new and drove straight as an arrow when I had it. It would freeze you out with its AC.

This was the 2nd Toyota that I had really did an indepth restore on and the first that I had pretty much flawless. My first one is my avatar which is my screen name, but it has aways to go til I get it done. It is my work truck and keeps getting put on the back burner. Maybe someday it will get completed.

If I can get it back for a reasonable price and find a cab, I can get it back on the road. After the work I put into it the first time, really dont want to see it junked out. It is actually worse then it is showing in the pictures. It will be awhile before everything settles down and hoping it finds its way back in my hands. Will just have to wait and see.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:18 AM

ugh on that Terry.

while the page was loading, I was looking at some of the titles of those videos you posted....good stuff.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:22 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Got alot of catching up to do but computer battery is going down. Will get caught up soon. Grrr.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:20 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks for the 'research on smog' stuffs for me, Terry! lol... I've been updating my smog thread... but I think at this point I understand enough to try out the more PROVEN things and give it another shot.

Crazy on the 89! You've seen my 'wreck' pics.... I know all about that 'cringe' from seeing those pics! lol. Hoping you can get it back too! Cuz after all, 9 projects going on by 'Terry's Garage' is NOT ENOUGH!!! lol.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:43 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
ugh on that Terry.

while the page was loading, I was looking at some of the titles of those videos you posted....good stuff.
Thanks Jerry.. Some of that stuff I would of liked to known when I first started working on Toyotas. I can do alot on these trucks, but I have only once gotten rear brakes done right without some help on any car. It was probably by accident at that.lol...I am hoping the brake video helps out.

One thing I would suggest on the Diff breather would use fuel line instead of vacuum lines as it wouldnt eat the lines if diff fluid got in there, but it still is a great idea. Even if not for wheeling, just for low water crossings. I am always crossing streams or when I back a boat into a lake it sometimes get the axles in the water. Hot fluid in the axle and then the cold water just creates a vacuum when it is submerged. I am going to do this to all of my trucks which dont get wheeled hard.

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Thanks for the 'research on smog' stuffs for me, Terry! lol... I've been updating my smog thread... but I think at this point I understand enough to try out the more PROVEN things and give it another shot.

Crazy on the 89! You've seen my 'wreck' pics.... I know all about that 'cringe' from seeing those pics! lol. Hoping you can get it back too! Cuz after all, 9 projects going on by 'Terry's Garage' is NOT ENOUGH!!! lol.
Hello Mark.. Actually getting a tough problem is rewarding when you finally get it solved. Frustrating at the time though. Frame swapping, the 4Runner tailgate and the injector circuits were all new to me and intimidating the first time I tied into them. Pfft!!! (one of your sayings..lol) I feel really confident now when I see a question come around on one of them on the home thread. It feels good to help when I see one of those questions come up, also I know a Toyota Technician that worked on these trucks when they were new doing warranty work and some of the problems he had never had to deal with and actually thinks I may know what I am talking about. Got him bluffed good.lol.. It is just the age on these like the corrosion on the injector and such he never had to deal with.

After the work I put into the 89, would not want to see it parted. If I can get a cab and get it back cheap, it wont take long to swap cabs, paint it, sell it again and use it to help fund my 86. My 86 is going to my baby and it will be the nicest one I have fixed when I get it completed.

I
Old 04-25-2012, 01:06 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Jason and Regina were in my area and got to spend quiet abit of time with them. The girls did their thing and we got to do our thing. Had a great time and the time flew by. Jason has better grasp of electrcity then I do and some reason my domelight upgrade isnt working like it should. He is helping me out and has given me some ideas to work on. When I turn the mirror light on it comes on dim and turns the rear light on dim. Everything else is working like it should so made a little progress.

While we were running around town, I was going to show him a extended cab that had a blown 3.0 motor and the car lot had a rolled 88 runner and used the motor out of it for the extended cab. He spotted it and hoping to pick it up for a parts truck. It has plenty of parts on it that he needs and parts I need. The salvages around here want alot for the parts and this runner will pay for itself quick. I will part it out and wont be much that goes for scrap. Mostly the tub and things that just cant be fixed. Was a nice runner at one time.

It has the blown motor in the back and I have had a 91 runner with the 3.0 and really liked it but never had to do much work on it so am looking forward to seeing if it is rebuildable. It would make a good winter project and I know where three 2nd gen runners are at that just need motors. 2 trucks they just want $250 a piece for. Would make a good fix and sell.

I have a 3.4 and actually feel more comfortable working on the 3.0, I have had them all. I see doing the 3.4 swap all of the time. I would be more intimidated by the wiring and not able to do the welding that seems required. Hope to get it soon. This may be my wrecks page.

Hope to have soon. 88 SR5 with 3.0
Old 04-25-2012, 08:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hold a second Terry you said two runner for 250 each....PM me! How are things going?
Old 04-25-2012, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Brandon.. I sent a PM, just got a text from my wife that she will see her tomorrow.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I am starting on the bodywork. Just doing a couple of dents at a time.

I just posted a video in the video section of testing injectors. I thought it made it really simple to understand and a good way to clean injectors. It is for a Buick or Pontiac I think but it all applies.

I plan on giving it a try and see what syringe I need.

Quick Reply: Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance