86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 09:54 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Dang, bud! You're FLYING through some work on her, eh?
Old 04-14-2012, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Thanks ED..I had a guy to show me the basics and just started from there. My wife was not thrilled when I brought my flatbed home. It was my first practice and paint. Still looks descent when I shine it up. I am going to replace the cab on it as the floor is rusting away. One thing I like about getting the bombers I get. It can only look better when I get done.

Thanks Mark..I am planning on taking a 3 day weekend soon so I can get alot of little loose ends wrapped up. Trying to get it all together before starting on the bodywork.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

The video is poorly done. I dont have Power Steering hooked up yet as I need one hose and trying to keep an ear on any noises or warning signs. 2 of my neighbors got to see me putting down the road. One with a new Corvette whose one lugnut is probably worth more then my truck and my other neighbor who just laughed and gave me the thumbs up when I drove by with my hand sticking where the windshield would be waving at him.

The metal clank was my access plate that I had laying on the A frame. It fell off the front tire and didnt survive the back tire. Had to add some more gas as I did run out. I guess I hit the Off button while recording..Grrr....

I have been finding alot of Youtube videos on the net. I do a search on Youtube and 22re in the google and when I find something, I have been adding it to my 88s build. I still use my 88 even for myself on doing some of the projects on this one.

Poor Video, but I did try. Click Picture.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Started doing some test fitting to get the grill in. I think I want to go with the 87/88 grill on bottom. The top I think is a 85. I am not worried about period correct.

Hoping to get a bumper off of C-list this week and a few other odds and ends. Just trying to get our times matched up.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice vid terry. I like the top grill better myself, but hey man it dont matter which one you use this thing is gonna be looking great soon enough.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:51 PM

I think they changed in 87 or whatever to offer MORE AIR FLOW to the stuffs in there, lol. NOT sure on that... but a Toyota guy told me that. They wanted to change up SOMETHING to differentiate the years... but also take one vertical bar out to provide more air flow??? lol. Hey, rumors are fun, either way, right? lol. Makes sense to me.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Any chance you'd fab up your own bumper? Considering the work you've done so far, I bet a Terry-fab bumper would be cool!
Old 04-16-2012, 11:55 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Jason.. I think I will go with the one I think has the best airflow. I hadnt thought of that, but the more possible problems I can eliminate the better. Still need to look to see which I would think would be the best on.

Hello Chef.. I could see that. Sometimes it is something small that it might not get noticed. I actually think the bottom is an 88 and an 87 has two dividers.

Hello Zelephant.. I would like to fab my own bumper, but I dont have a welder. Really could use one now. I will explain below, but I hope to own a welder someday to do my own fabbing. Dont know how many times I could of used on in the past. It is on my list of 1000 things I want though.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:28 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I got quite a few parts on the Runner off of my flat bed just to see if it runs. List is long and the funds are short, so I have been driving the wifes Runner, this has me really wanting to get mine legal and on the road as soon as possible. I am hoping to get it legal by the end of the month. I really enjoy driving hers when she lets me and hope I can get this one to ride and run as nice as hers.

Having done hers it helps knowing what needs done to get it to the condition of hers. It has actually helped speed this up in some ways and not having to go back and redo somethings.

Today is where I wish I had a welder. I have a little gap between the marker lense and the fender. I have been doing alot of pounding and banging trying to close the gap and spent alot of time on it. A trick to fix this is to take a welding rod and weld it in and use filler over it. I think I have it close enough to make it look like the factory left a gap there. I have done everything that I could think of getting it closer other then welding. Urrgh.

This is the second coat and it looks thick, but I did do alot more work on it since I took the picture. I try to stay within a nickels thickness of filler and dont think I exceded it.
I have 3 other dents that I will be able to work out easily and dont know how many door dings I need to fix, but plan on counting them soon just for my own knowledge.

Kept thinking I would stop in just a few more minutes. 3 hours later, I called it quits as needed to get some sleep for work. Time flies when out there and I would rather do bodywork over engine work but am thankful that I can do mechanicing. Bodywork has a bigger before and after results.

If all goes as planned on my upcoming days off, I might get most of the bodywork done. Hoping to get with the Craigslist contact soon and get the bumper and maybe get it mounted. Then all I have left is the windshiled gasket that I still need to get. I would like to see if I can use a rubber gasket over the glue that they came with from the factory to possibly eliminate any leaks that these trucks are known for. It might start to look like a 4Runner soon, dont know when it will get painted.

These fenders had the SR5 stripes that I like but it had to come off. I know if I had to buy those it would be a fortune, just struck me that I know there is somebody that would like to have the fender stripes that I was taking off, but not much you can do about it.

Worse part of the bodys damage and it is looking alot better then this. Just cant get the gap like I want. But it is getting there.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:34 AM

87 Grill.........

And, .......... GREAT WORK! Man, you're build is really great reading, bud!
Old 04-17-2012, 01:49 PM

Mark, building a new house?
Old 04-17-2012, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by RMP8080
Mark, building a new house?
Hahaha... I WISH! Actually, I was just 'parked' in that lot near by getting medical supplies for the Sick Ole Bubba.... And I saw that and wanted to test flex a lil after adjusting T-bars..... Unfortunately, like usual, I tried to get up more and more and the dirt just kept caving in....more and more, lol. Oh well, it's deceiving, but it did ok... This is better........

Sorry Terry... guess I'm just so mad with withdrawal that I needed to see that! lol.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:11 PM

Terry, I too like the 87-88 grill.

Mark, sorry I was thinking of a new build thread on that house. Lol
Old 04-18-2012, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Mark.. I enjoy the pics. It gives me an incentive for mine. I have built for the family or others and now this one is for me. I can go with it in the direction that I want it to go. I cant wait until I can get mine as nice as yours and proud to show it. Jason gave me an incentive to see if I can try and get it done in time for the calendar.

Hello Bill.. I had thought of the 85 but think I will do the 87. Kind of building a His and Hers set. If Mark gets into building houses, I have a shop he can finish on.lol.. It has a ways to go too. Im still working with extention cords.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Today was spent chasing down some bumper brackets. I bought a whole bumper from the salvage for the brackets. The bolts were rusted on and the bumper was twisted up from a front end collision, but luckily the brackets survived.

Still have alot to do to get it the way it should be. I am missing the front lift kit that goes inbetween the body and frame on the front end. I eventually want to take the lift off.

86 wiring has round plugs and 87 light assemblys have more of a flat style. So have some swapping to do there yet. The bumper that is on it now is the same bumper on my first post on the 88 build. I was able to straighten it out just to use temporarily until I can get a whole new bumper. It is bent worse then it looks in the picture, but it will get me legal and help start getting my lines straight.

I am going to have to order some chrome bumper bolts from Toyota or see if I can find them in the bone yard. I also will eventually replace my core support again when I come across a good one. The boneyard wanted alot for one and when I get another one shouldnt take long to swap out. Just using what I have available. I thought I had a blinker for the drivers side and cant find it nowhere.

Really not much left to get it on the road. Still need to get a horn, windshield gasket, alignment, exhaust leak fixed. There is still a ton of small things to do to it but it is starting to look and feel like a truck.

If all goes well, I really think I can have the body work done to where the dents are filled and it will just be needing alot of finer sanding which is alot but it will be roughed in to the point that it is straight. The cost of paint will be the big hold up. I have tags expiring on the 88 and my flatbed and since those are the daily drivers I will have to hold up on getting this one on the road. I am hoping to tag it by the end of the month.

I am sure when some seen the first few pages of this build it looked more like the proper way to part out a 4Runner. I was starting to think the same thing too.lol..

Interior will be last and then I will start the upgrades. I plan on doing a post again on what all is needed to get it finished up. I still have alot that I want to do to before paint but it is working its way on the list.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:56 PM

Terry, you have a 3 inch body lift? I should still have my bumper brackets from the lift kit, if you need?................Looks good ....Bill
Old 04-18-2012, 07:24 PM

Received 99 Likes on 70 Posts
I like the 87-88-89 grill too. Chrome looks good with blue paint too.

I feel your pian with the bumper. I tried to replace the rear bumper on my '00 over the weekend only to find the bracket rust-welded to the bumper. Time to find the grinder and get some cut off wheels.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:10 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Bill..I never even thought of extended bumper brackets if that is what you are talking about. I was going to ask how the gap is filled between the bumper and grill. Glad you mentioned it.

That was the first thing the wife noticed when she seen it. Never mind what else I had done to get it to the point it is now. Just getting all of the parts to where it looks like a front end took alot of hunting.

Hello Nervo19..I should of been a kid in the 50s, I like the chrome with bright colors.lol I have a 01 Runner myself. We bought it in late 04 and in 05 my wife backed into a pole and I had to replace the rear bumper. That is one thing that surprised me at the amount of rust that developed back there.

For this area we dont have a bad rust issue. I have seen several threads about recalls on the Tacoms but not the Runners. I occasionally drop the spare and cover everything with WD-40. It seems to have helped, I am hoping to get several years out of my 3rd gen. My bumper was only 3 or 4 years old at the time and it shocked me.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:25 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Got a lot of little things to do today. Get all of the wire connectons swapped over, connect horn up, do some more cleaning/painting underneath and on the front end, see if I cant get my hood latch assembly on, I need to get ahood cable from the boneyard.

I also have 3 other smaller dents to work out and fill in and finish the drivers marker light. I have several door dings to work on. Not sure which way I am going to go today, but I have today and alot of tomorrow to get these done. Just waiting on it to warm up.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I got tired of my buzzer going off everytime I went to check an electrical hook up. Pulled the box and bent the tab by my pointer finger. I have a better write up on the 88s build and think I even found a Youtube Video.

Quick Reply: Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance