86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 01:25 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I was out and about and met a guy with a sweet little 92-94 standard cab truck. It sat on 35s and had the 529s gears, forget the amount of lift it had, but he didnt take any short cuts building it. Would of like to got some pics of it but didnt.

I am hoping to start getting my core support on if all goes as planned. Was helping my brother on his truck today and that lasted alot longer then expected. So maybe I will start making some more progress here soon. Just need to get the time to start on it again.

Did get some time today and getting the core support on. Started with zip ties and small Phillip screw drivers and now working my way up to nuts and bolts.

Seems like I may have the front brakes starting to work. I took the lines off and ran an air hose from the Master Cylinder connection and blew air through the front lines only.

Nothing much picture worthy but if I dont go fishing tomorrow or Thursday, really feel I can make some big steps on getting this to look like a Runner again.

Last edited by Terrys87; 04-10-2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Havent really had time to mess with the runner lately but today went really good considering. I now know that I have a Low Fuel light in my non SR5 guage, just hope my SR5 Guage has one. I only put 2 gallons to use to get it running. No biggie if it doesnt have the light, would just be nice to have since it was an option. Never had one before.

Was hoping to take it on a small little maiden voyage around the block, but my new/used radiator has a hole in it that is leaking to bad for that. I did get he timing and idle set to where I can just crank it up and it will idle real nice.

Also I cant get it in gear so I still need to bleed the clutch lines, I actually forgot to do that so it will have to wait until the wife or kids get home to help on that. Did get the Core Support permantly mounted. If I can come across a better one later on, I will replace this one as it has some rust at the bottom of it. But little by little this thing is getting closer to moving under its own power.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I got passenger fender and hood on. Had the drivers fender on but when I went to put the marker light in I was unable to get the marker light bucket straightene out enough to use it. I will take the bucket out of the bad fender and put it in my bent fender which I will ba able to repair later when I start the bodywork.

Glad I kept the old fenders even though they are rusted junk. They had good clips and buckets that I didnt think about. I will post a pic of those parts later. They didnt make it to photobucket for som reason.

Still been doing some cleaning and just having to fit and refit is taking some time.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Your 4Runner is really starting to take shape! It's looking real good. I'm going to try your clear coat idea for the tail light lens...I just swapped some "like new" ones out of my 85' parts truck into my 4runner and want to keep them looking new, keep up the good work!........Ed.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Ed..I am really happy with how they turnd out. I am always on the look out for ways of getting them looking new. I just stumbled into that idea.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Today is a great day. Got to DRIVE it out of the shop. When wifey got home, she helped me bleed the clutch and brakes. She was less then thrilled about helping out and didnt seem to understand my excitement of driving it the 50 or so feet. If it wasnt for the leaking radiator, I would of drove it more.

Drove it out

Got it dirty backing it in the shop as I have a good little drop off and from washing the shop out. Have a ton of tools to put up but it can wait til tomorrow.

Mud..WAHOO!!! (Just a little.. but it was from its own power)
Old 04-12-2012, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The DEAD END sign is priceless........LOL
Old 04-12-2012, 05:16 PM

Wooohoooo that's great terry. Man you have brought this thing back from the ashes, a real pheonix. I hope your enjoying the moment buddy you deserve it.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:30 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
FREAKIN GREAT NEWS! lol........ I've been looking forward to this for days!
Old 04-13-2012, 04:00 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Bill..lol.. Thats not a sign for this truck... I hope Guess I am so use to seeing that sign that after you mentioned it, it is funny.

Hello Jason..I was really worried when I found the main wiring harness chewed completely thru. That was when I was wondering if I had gotten in over my head. Then having the injector issue, I was worried if it was something I had done with the harness. Now I awonder if they sell 4Runners in kits like the old Camaros and such.lol. All of the troubles really boosted my confdence in fixing these.

Hello Mark... When I started this build I really thought I would have it running in a month or so. The motor and harness really set this day back, but I feel real good about the condition of it now. I tried to fix alot of small and big issues that it should be a dependable little truck.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:03 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I still have a long ways to go, but a windshield gasket, finish putting the front end on, radiator, a front bumper (which I might be picking up today), getting the tires on and other odds and ends and this truck will be ready.

It is getting closer, that light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:14 AM

Glad to hear you were able to drive the 4runner out under it's own power! After all the work you've put into it, that's got to be a big sigh of relief!!! Keep up the good work, watching your build helps keep me motivated to work on mine!......Ed.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is really impressive. That rig looked like an absolute basket-case when you brought it home. To anyone else, it would have been a parts truck. The progress you've made is terrific, but I know there's lots more cool stuff in store!
Old 04-13-2012, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello rustEDyota..I was a big sigh of relief and a big excitement. For the shape it was in to now is a big difference. I try to make my threads to be motivating as much as possible. Really appreciate when I get a compliment like that. It is on a everyday budget to show it can be done reasonably.

Thanks Zelephant..It is all downhill from here now with the exception of the funds issue. I think I am out of the woods now. Sure there might be a hiccup along the way but nothing I cant handle from here on out. There is more coming, just slowly, but it will get there. If it hadnt been for the solid body, I would of parted it, but it is just to solid to do that.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I got the radiator fixed and flushed today and spent the rest cleaning the shop as it got really cluttered with the recent work. Hoping to get it in tomorrow and maybe a little driving. I can hope.

I forgot to remove the battery cable last nite and noticed it was still hooked up this morning when I went back out. That helped with my confidencein the wiring. Didnt have a BBQ on 4 wheels.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:53 PM

"Hello Bill..lol.. Thats not a sign for this truck... I hope Guess I am so use to seeing that sign that after you mentioned it, it is funny."

yea but it looks like it's across the street, need to see more pictures.....
Old 04-14-2012, 12:49 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Bill.... that sign was in our corner of the yard but the city got tired of always putting it back up. That sign has been knocked down lots of time. They finally moved it across the street.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:54 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I moved the marker bucket from the rusted fender over to my dented fender. Later on I will have someone to spot weld them in for me but this will work for now. I cut it off at the lip and riveted on there.

Here is the new bucket on. I did some hammer and dolly work and when I get it mounted on the truck it will be alot easier to work the dents out. As it is now, it wont take alot of bondo to get it straight.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I got the fender on and will start working it into shape later.

I took it for a test ride to the church just down the block twice. It ran great, but has a nasty exhaust leak. Its illegal in every possible way but it was just a block. Still need to get it insured. I will post a video of it when I get access to my laptop.

I had the access panel laying on the A frame. I heard a clang and remembered I had left it on the A frame. I looked everywhere trying to make sure I had all of the tools removed. Always have to miss something. It did run out of gas on me as I had to go up a hill. I added another gallon and it fired right off once it got thru the sysm.

Victim of first test ride. Squished.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:49 PM

It's looking good Terry, I wish I had your body working skills! I know if I tried hammering out a dent it would turn into a bigger dent, LOL.

Quick Reply: Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance