86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 05:44 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Hello Chef..I use a standard cab pickup light and then added the SR5 maplights. I tapped into the wiring harness at the top left windshield corner. You have to peel the headliner back just a little. I have always been able to get it back and never known that it was loosened up.

You can see the wire hanging down by the drivers door. That was just to make sure all was working well. The reason I like the standard cab light is that when you open the door, it comes on with the light behind your head with the factory, it really makes a difference at nite.

I wanted the maplights just as it was an option that that didnt come with the non SR5s. I always seem to get the base model cars and when I see an option that mine didnt have, always tried to upgrade to it.

I would like to have the SR5 door panels and electric mirrors and locks and such, but that is alot of work involved and getting all of the parts would be expensive. There is a big difference in the intrior of the doors and not really sure if all of the wiring harness is the same or not.

The mirror light is from a standard cab and other then the wiring is a direct bolt in. I added it to the Cheap Upgrades thread that is on here somewhere. I have gotten some compliments on it. If you pull the painted cover off of your mirror, you will see it has all of the electrical lead tracks all ready there. I have taken broken mirror mounts that have the electrical leads in there and move them to the non standard cab mirror mounts.

You can find the rear view mirror with out the light assembly a whole easier and since I had one broken with light and 2 dummy light holders, thought I would give it a try. Only have about 45 minutes in this.

Only tools I had in this is a small drill bit, small flat blade screw driver and a bench grinder to knock off the burr.

First I drilled out the rivet from the backside and did have to use a nail to tap out the rivet. Then I would have to grind the burr off and work the top of the rivet out with the screwdriver and moved the parts over.

I am going to glue the electrical runs down with super glue and see if I can find some small screws or rivets when I go to town. I might have to find a small screw and nut for the light switch but feel this will work. When I get this 100% done I will come back and edit this page. Might even add it to my fix list.

Typical of where the mirror breaks on the mount on the right mount, top-right hand corner.

I used some brass screws and glued the back of the electrical contacts down. Put a drop of glue on the back side of the screws.

Got it working and only had about $4 and 1 hour into it. Alot cheaper then getting a new one. Just covered the light some to cut down on the glare for the pic. That bulb gets hot.

This will work for extened cabs also.
I got a dome light out of a Standard cab out of a salvage with the same interior color as my wife truck and mounted it in to where your mirror is. I just drilled a small hole to run wires along the windshield to the driverswindshield post and poped off the trim.

There is 2 wires that run along the post that I tapped into and soldered and taped up. Get the plug to the mirror and about 3 feet of the wire out of the donor truck and screw in. Easy and cheap upgrade. The dome ligh on a extended cab and 4Runner is behind you and doesnt light the floorboard up and that is where I am usually trying to find my things.

Front and Rear Dome. Not the best picture, but gives you the idea. Door and On Light work.

Where I tapped into wires.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Got them working. Just need to get a domelight cover for the mirror. Another small problem is when I turn the mirror light on it is dim and the rear light comes on and it is dim, but everything else works great. I will check into the dimness, but another thing off the list.

My problem I had earlier was that I got the wires switched when I spliced into the windshield corner. Once I got that solved, I was able to get everything back toghter.

Done and working.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:18 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Danggggggggg! lol...... You're more ambitious about the 'cab light' factor than I am at this point..... I'd be glad just to get my darn "Fuse Box Mod and Aux Power Supply Mod" done at this point...... BUT VERY COOL, TERRY! I didn't know there was a dome type with that lil lever as a switch, unlike our over head dome that has that stupid design of plastic/plastic(I've had 3 break).... BUT, you just inspired me to get some JB Kwik Weld out again and FIX THAT DANGLING SWITCH LEVER, once and for all!

As usual, GREAT READ, Terry, and nice work as well!
Old 04-06-2012, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thnks Chef..Took me longer then it should. Seems like I am in problem mode. Got it fixed and got the front driveshaft in but now I am working on brakes.

I swapped a Master Cylinders with a spare that I had and cant get fluid to the front brakes. Havent messed with the back brakes yet.

Also trying to get my headlight buckets into my core supprt and it doesnt seem to be the same as my 88. I have to go to town in a few but will try and get pics up later tonite or when I get back.

Both of these projects should of been quick fixes and turning into a little more indepth. I will get them figured out but seems like I am getting stumped lately. Not the first time and wont be the last.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:39 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hmmmm, just throwing this out there... I recently read a site that had replacement buckets for the lights.... It listed 84-87 and 88-89, IIRC.... Not sure why, I though they were the same. I would check with www.roundeyes.com to see what years are for what(I'm sure you can find it easier through Toyota or something, so maybeeeeee nvm on that one, lol... BUT, they DO have a listing of what kit you need for what years, so just a thought. Maybe the lights from 84-89 all fit the same housing.... but the housings don't fit the chassis'?)

OK, I'm officially lost, lol. Let us know, Terry.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Chef..I am still working on the light dilema. My flatbed and 88 just have the buckets right to the core support and this core support has an extra piece that I got from the PO, if I got the right pieces, that goes in between the core support and headlight bucket. I will get a post on it here shortly.

I see IIRC several times on Yotatech.. What does it stand for? I have been meaning to ask for quite sometime and keep forgetting.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Terry, it could mean "Incident Investgation Review Commitee" or " If I remember correctly"
Happy Easter....
Old 04-07-2012, 10:59 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Dad, my brother and I all went fishing for the first time in yearssss together. Dad retired a few months back and his job kept him working long hours, had a good time. He is in the background restringing his rod and reel. Tried squirrel fishing. That doesnt work getting your line hooked in a tree.

I got the biggest Crappie and had one alot bigger then this one but when I got him to the boat, he got away. I also got a Bass and he got away, they are a challenge to find,catch and get in the boat. I can see why Bass fisherman like catching them. They put up a good fight.

Last edited by Terrys87; 11-06-2014 at 01:25 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:26 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks RMP8080..Hope you have a great Easter as well. I can usually figure out the abbreviations and that has been one that has kept stumping me.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:32 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Earlier today I was looking on Craigslist and someone had some blinker covers for sale saying they had the factory clear coat on them. For some reason, I never thought of clear coating mine and since I just got one recently thought what could it hurt.

In the past I always used rubbing compound and gave them a good waxing. That helped but usually have to go back and do it again every so often. I am going to give this a try. It helps to add a newer look to the truck and will be doing my other covers like this.

I have a 89-95 tail light cover that I am going to practice on and see how it turns out.

Faded as most are.

Cleared and looking newer.

Last edited by Terrys87; 12-14-2012 at 05:19 AM.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:46 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Here is the issue I am having with my core support. The headlight bucket on top is what I have normally seen on most trucks and even my flatbed and 88. When I try to mount it to the core support, basically you adjusting screw hold it to the support.

On this one the top adjusting screw is to far off from it to work. If I use the lower piece that came with this it will fit like it should. I may not even have the correct pieces. Something that should of been a quick fix, hasnt turned out that way.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Working on my new list so it easier to keep up with. Didnt get everything finished and will add to this one as I think of it. If I dont write it down I forget it and it helps speeed things up on getting things done.

Clean AC Lines
Alighn Tailgate
Clean and Paint rear of frame..........................Cleaning
Find 5 missing screws for shifter boot
Get core support ready for install......................Done
Work on Clutch problem
Work on Brake problem
Flush Brake lines............................................F lushed front brakes.
Install SR5 Guage and Oil Sender
Swap tires
Fix 2 busted bolts
Get 2 more exhaust bolts
Set Timing............................................ .......Done
Fix broken wheel stud
Fix passenger seat
Replace rear axle seals
Go thru brake system

Last edited by Terrys87; 04-12-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:10 AM

Terry I'm at a loss on the head light deal buddy, hope you get it figured out and I'm sure you will. Your list is still shorter than mine my friend.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:16 AM

Terry, I think they switch the negtive to turn the light on which means positive side is hot all the time.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Bill... I think you are right. I am going to look into it a little further. I will eventually get it. Doesnt always go smooth for me even though it may look like it at times.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Fianlly got my headlight thign figured out. Kept looking at the 88 and this ones core support and could see a difference. Of the 6 or 7 buckets I have, they were all the same except for 2 of them. Guess which 2 I didnt mess with.

The ones I need have the longer tab at the top to bottom adjustment.

They are Toyota buckets, just dont know for what. They dont go to my first gen truck as they are round and still on the truck.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I wanted to see how it would look clear coating a tail light off of a 89-95 tail light. It helped it out alot. It looks alot better in person. I put a light coat on the inside of the lense also.

Before

After

Last edited by Terrys87; 12-14-2012 at 05:20 AM.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hope everyone has a Great Easter.!!!
Old 04-08-2012, 05:01 PM

Received 208 Likes on 146 Posts
Oh man, those tail lenses look amazing, great idea there Terry. May have to do that to mine. Stop adding to my list please!
Old 04-10-2012, 01:20 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello cory...lol..My list just keeps getting longer. I was happy with my little find. The lenses actually look and feel like new ones. Definitily alot cheaper then what I found advertised for sale. That was where I got the idea.

Quick Reply: Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance