86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 06:00 AM

Received 208 Likes on 146 Posts
Ok Chef, you have a LOT of pages in your build! I just did a LOT of reading in your build, and worked up an appetite looking at pics of food...

Here is the post where you show you purchased the AC o-rings
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...l#post51681740

Your receipt is visible there, but it doesn't show the whole part number. I *think* the prefix for the o-rings is 90099, but I'm not sure. That would mean you bought 3 sizes of o-rings: 90099-14044, 90099-14045, and 90099-14046

I'm not sure how many of each you bought and the other thing is that the Toyota dealer apparently can't get the big o-rings on the compressor separately and according to this post https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...l#post51682470 you got replacements from Joey Cool's. So looks like I'll have to take mine out from under the plates and go find some to fit.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:02 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrys87
Here is a longer video of the overall condition of the truck. Not the best, but I will get it outside and try and get a better video of it later on.

No problem, Terry ..... Great video of the progress/condition!

Originally Posted by coryc85
Ok Chef, you have a LOT of pages in your build! I just did a LOT of reading in your build, and worked up an appetite looking at pics of food...

Here is the post where you show you purchased the AC o-rings
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...l#post51681740

Your receipt is visible there, but it doesn't show the whole part number. I *think* the prefix for the o-rings is 90099, but I'm not sure. That would mean you bought 3 sizes of o-rings: 90099-14044, 90099-14045, and 90099-14046

I'm not sure how many of each you bought and the other thing is that the Toyota dealer apparently can't get the big o-rings on the compressor separately and according to this post https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...l#post51682470 you got replacements from Joey Cool's. So looks like I'll have to take mine out from under the plates and go find some to fit.
Hahaha... Sorry man... my build DOES somewhat spin out of control on occasions............OK, often! lol. Sorry it takes so much lookin... But I do know there are lots of tips in there that can/have helped others... Just have to organize them into a single post, like Ian did(just hard to spend a whole day with that at this point in my life, ya know? lol)......

Yep, you're right, man.... The Larger ones(I was told by the dealer) were only available with the WHOLE COMPRESSOR PURCHASE! You can't even buy just the valves, IIRC(I'd call them to see if I were you...Maybe your dealer has some by some freak chance, right? ) I also know it's VERY important that you get the 'PROPER' ones from the dealer, relating to 'which are rated for whatever oil, R12 or R134'.... This is CRUCIAL, because the oils from the R134 will eat the R12 O-rings, and vice versa. When I went to Charlie Cools(I got mixed up, but I think I posted a pic of the sign, "Charlie Cools".... I just edited that post, ....sorry. ), he pulled out the original Denso o-rings for Toyota/other Japanese makes that took R12.... He was the original installer for ALL of the L.A./South Bay area at the dealers for A/C. So he had TONS of OEM-Denso o-rings.

I thought I'd mentioned how many o-rings and which sizes, etc., in my build..... Not there? It was something like 4-tiny, 7-mid sized and 4 large(just an example, not actual numbers).... And I thought that I mentioned which were which in my build. They were cheap enough, and designed for SPECIFIC Mineral Oils, not PPG(whatever) oils for the R134. They had both, .... one was black and one was Burnt Orange...My originals were black(which could mean that someone(PO?) had redone the system, ....IMPROPERLY..... Odd for a 20 year Toyota Mechanic, but that's not the least of what he did wrong, trust me! lol).... The Dealer spent time talking and then told my buddy at the parts counter that "burnt orange" were the right ones.... The larger ones you see were for the larger hoses that go to the compressor, smaller ones on the drier and the lines too/from and the mid sized were to one of the hoses and the condenser. It wasn't easy to get to some, and the grill DOES, obviously have to come off.... You also have to remove the steering hard line retainer pipe/hose in order to get one of the drier bolts off/get the drier out.

I DID NOT replace the o-rings up inside the dash for the evaporator.... I might pay for this, later, but I'm still ice cold over a year later..... Which is more than I can say for the first time I had it filled, years ago(Lasted about a half year, then went warm again...)... I think this was all due to the O-rings under the main hi/low valves, as I mentioned in my build. They were the only ones that looked compromised at all! BUT, they WERE eaten by something, and I CAN NOT say for sure if it was just wear/whether they were orig./whether it was the oils due to the PO using R134 in a system made for R12(whether he drained it properly with vacuum, etc., or not, ya know?).

Sorry for the long post, Terry.... I just want to add.... I would NOT use just any O-rings that fit, ya know? They are VERY specific to the chemicals/temps/oils, etc., that are used and make contact with them. If you want, I COULD try to get some from Charlie and get back to either of ya????

Far as the part numbers... I'M CERTAIN I have that receipt.... Just have to dig through hundreds to find it, ok?
Old 04-02-2012, 12:04 PM

BTW, ... .much like the 'buy the compressor to get the o-rings' factor..... Dealerships do NOT sell even the fusible link boxes..... You have to buy THE ENTIRE HARNESS for 1200$ or so in order to get that fusible link box! ...... Unless you're like us and get those things from the yards/make your own! lol.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Hello Chef.. No worries on the long post. I always enjoy your write ups.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow terry, im away for a week and you make big progress! good job dude!
Old 04-03-2012, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Just got a quick minute to do a little post. Things have been going 90 miles an hour.

The guy I have been helping to fix on his truck is a little less then pleased with the previous mechanics work. Something got down into the #2 cylinder and may have ruined the head. Waiting for the machine shops results. I feels he was in way over his head on fixing his truck and was ready to sell it. I convinced him we could get it going reasonbly cheap in worst case scenario.

He called me over to look at some of the damage that could be seen after it was cleaned up. I was headed out the drive and he stopped me wanting to know if I wanted some parts. He wasnt sure what all was out there and he even thought of haulling them off. I said I would take them. His son wrecked his truck some time ago and had some that were damaged and some were fine. Gave me a trash bag full of stuff.

I got a radiator that has a pinhole that needs fix but looks great. The passenger fender is perfect and drivers fender is banged up a little bit, his are rust free. My fenders have some rusted tabs and I was just going to use to get it legal for the road.

Only bad part of fender. I can fix it.

Other parts. AC core was bent. Already got it straightened out. Marker lights will be going in the mail to Jason as he has helped me alot. Should get his truck legal. The parts will make a big difference in speeding up my project. My old radiator is just enough to get it started and I dont let it get warm.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:58 AM

SCORE! lol.... nice
Old 04-03-2012, 04:45 PM

Terry, nice find, the TOYOTA 4x4 fairies with magical powers, depicted as young, sometimes winged, humanoids of small stature, many of these mythical creatures live somewhere between heaven and the local toyota dealer, have found they way to you and given you great gifts.......enjoy and more will come...................
Old 04-03-2012, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by RMP8080
Terry, nice find, the TOYOTA 4x4 fairies with magical powers, depicted as young, sometimes winged, humanoids of small stature, many of these mythical creatures live somewhere between heaven and the local toyota dealer, have found they way to you and given you great gifts.......enjoy and more will come...................
HAHAHAHA.... that HAD BETTER make it into your sig, Terry! lol.... Jk, but seriously... FUNNY
Old 04-04-2012, 12:23 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello RMP8080..If you only knew. OPPS!! you do know.lol

Hello Chef....I got a kick out of that too.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:37 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I havent been in the shop for 4 days other then to throw the parts in the shop and that took a total of 5 minutes. If we dont get any rain today, dad , my brother and me are going fishing. If we get rained out, I am really hoping to get some shop time and try and get my rig put together.

I am really hoping to have this truck insured and tagged by the end of the month if all goes well. That is my goal anyways. It wont look pretty for awhile, but other then the left fender, it is all door dings.

My other big issue that might hold it up is the backing plate on the drivers rear wheel is coated in grease or oil that is truly 1/4 to 1/2 inch deep. It feels like rubber but when I get after it with a wire wheel brush it makes a big mess. I am hoping it is a brake slave cylinder and not the axle seal. Need to get the windshield in also.

I have been searching the net for ideas on a paint scheme that looks factory but still sets it apart. Not having much luck. The base is going to be the factory blue. That changing colors is a big job to do it right.

Really hoping Thursday and Friday makes some big steps to getting it together. Got the parts just need to get the time to get to it.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:37 AM

I HATE to be Nancy-Nay-Sayer, ..... especially at you! hahaha... But, I REALLY doubt that you would find that stuff built up like that due to brake fluid.... My guess would be axle seal, bud.

BUT, ......... c'mon, with all that help...(you lure them in with food and drink, to stay and help!!! LOL).... You'd knock that seal kit out in no time, bud! I should have done mine for the heck of it while installing my locker/gears...... But I didn't, meh! lol.

Sounds like a plan, Terry............KILL IT! lol.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Chef.. I think you are right on the grease seal. I was just hoping it wasnt. Guess I need to quit being a wimp and jump in and learn axles. I have always been able to get around them, but not this time. It looks bad under there.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I have been trying to get my little list knocked out. Spent awhole lot more time trying to get my core support ready then I would of liked and it still isnt done. Just needs some small odds and ends.

Did get my backglass in for the last time and my tire carrier working so did make some progress. Will need to go and get the tailgate lined up and have spent sometime on it and still not there.

I cleaned up my AC Pump. Got it painted and where you cant really see. I just put grease on what I didnt want covered up. When the paint dries, I just wipe it off. Quick and easy. Still need to flush the lines and will do it when I get it all together.

Greased and Unpainted.

Painted and Ungreased.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:09 PM

Hey terry that seal isn't a big deal man. I will be doing one on my 97 when I get home. You can get it man after what you've been through on this thing that little seal will be a snap. Hope all is well with you and yours.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:39 PM

I hear ya, Terry .......and I agree with Jason...... BUT, I would NOT wait, which you're seemingly in agreement with, because, .........well, ......... CARNAGE IS AWAITING YOU if you let it go til it's completely dry, right?

How bout the bearings?
Old 04-05-2012, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Jason.. You made it seem really easy after talking to you.

Hello Chef..Jason gave me the confidence to do it. It is leaking bad in there. I will be trying to get to it real soon. I am hoping there isnt any damage in there already. I will be giving the bearings a good look. If I do get in over my head, my dad would give me a hand.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I have been just getting alot of little things done. I did decide to add the maplights and when I got the wires in temporarily all was going well. When I went to put them in permanent, I cant get them working right. Dont know what is going on, but I will get it figured out.

Working great when tested, not so much now. This was while testing, but it will be nice having them when I get it fixed.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:04 PM

I hear ya on the bearings/etc.,

Far as the maplight.......... Hmmmm... Maybe, like some later model pu's and 4runners... The light is ground by the screw into the chassis above. Also,.... did you add this to the kick panel fuse box under the IGN arena or CONSTANT arena? ........... Mine are always hot, if that helps..... NEVER once had a bulb go out on ANY of 6 of them that I've had.(I alwaysssssss buy SR5's, lol..... Just a sucker for moonroof's, electric features and chrome trim I guess, lol. )
Old 04-05-2012, 09:05 PM

Wait, ....wth? lol.... You have the 2 map lights, ..........AND a light where the mirror goes? I'm lost, lol.

Quick Reply: Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance