86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I went to put my crossmember I last nite and apparently I had the crossmember for the pickup. So I grabbed another crossmember and cleaned it up. Must be a 1st gen truck also. 3rd time was the charm. I didnt clean and prep it up this time but will later.

Having better luck today. Got the crossmember in. Starting on the intake and exhaust side. I need to get 2 exhaust studs and all of the exhaust nuts.

Got the starter in, intake, the water pipes that go behind the head, fuel filter mount, some wire connections and the clutch hooked up. There are alot of little things that I have gotten done. I even have high hopes of hearing this run today and some distance hope of even getting to drive it around the yard or the dead end street by my house. So far things are going great.

Intake side.

Exhaust side.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow terry, no sleep pays off.................
Old 03-22-2012, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Lol RMP8080..The no sleep bit me in the butt a little bit. I knew I didnt have the Cold Start Injector hooked up but tested the starter. Gas is everywhere.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Just a few more pics. I left my EGR at my dads house when cleaning and remembered I bought a EGR block off kit from LCE and got it installed. Got most of the grounds on,fuel filter on, injectors installed, and several other small things put on that I cant think of right now.

I put my air filter box on. I have a 82 Supra filter that I will put on later. I did put in 2 gallons of gas. The tank is bone dry. I wanted to see if my gas guage would work and I dont know if the 2 gallons is enough to make it work. The needle didnt move yet.

The fuel pump works. In my haste to test the starter, I wasnt even thinking of the fuel pump and now have gas everywhere. I am now letting the shop air out. It isnt showing to well, but there is fuel everywhere. I disconnected the batery.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Didnt get near as far as I wanted to. But still happy with has gotten done. I finished everything on the passenger side that I had planned on doing. Got all of the intake on and all of the connections on that side and all of the hoses.

Not sure what all is planned on for tomorrow, but am hoping I can ge a few hours out there and get distributor in and get the valve cover on for the last time. After that I think what will be left is the cooling system and hopefully she will be ready to fire up.

Still have to get all of the vacuum lines on and I have to fix a plug that came off by the thermostat. To get it to the point of running shouldnt be much longer. Not going to mess with AC, Power Steering, and anything else until I get it running.

Intake on and everythign on passenger side is on.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:35 PM

nice work Terry, hope you get it running soon, oh hows the weather, looks like we getting that storm on Saturday, good thing I'm working..lol
Old 03-23-2012, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello RMP8080..We are still getting rain. Will be glad when it stops. We have some flooding going on around here. The yard is part lake. Things are going well so far. Going to be a big stop now. I am getting ready to go 35 miles to Toyota to get my exhaust bolts and nuts. Cant find them anywhere else. grrr...
Old 03-23-2012, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Got my ignition, vacuum lines, alternator,valve cover, and some more odds and ends. No w I am needing to go to Toyota to get the exhaust bolts. 35 miles one way. Getting ready to start putting my cooling system on and wrap a few loose ends and shouldnt be tomuch left to see if it will fire up. I am hoping today to get to try it but I will have to start getting ready for work, so maybe tomorrow. Will wait and see. It is getting closer.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I had to run to Joplin to get some exhaust nuts and they are moving from their old building to their new building as it is getting finished from the tornado. They had to order the nuts that I needed. I found some off of one of my 22rs and am just missing one for now.

I got everything hooked up and tried to start it. It wouldnt start. Getting codes 6 and 11 which is TPS and Igniter codes. I have a spare TPS and the spare Igniter I have isnt the same. Will be running test to check the igniter.

Also I have a major leak. There is a hose next to the Thermostat and it was missing when I got it and I forgot about it not being there. I have a spare intake that has the hose connectin, but I get to take the Plenum off again to fix it. Wont be a bad fix. Good news was no fuel leaks.

Here it is rigged just for test starting. I want to get it running before putting everything back on.

While in Joplin, I found a bike shop and my cables to the back hatch are frozen. I want to try and see if I can come up to make replacements for the back hatch and the passenger front seat as that cable tends to break alot. Always like coming up with some of my own fixs. Will wait and see how it turns out.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:55 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
wow. looks like I tuned in at the right time.

ETA to turning the key?
Old 03-23-2012, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello 92 Toy..Havent seen you in awhile. Been keeping an eye on your threads. Wellll...I turned the key an hour ago,,,,things didnt go so well. But I am just getting 2 codes which is the TPS and Igniter. I have a spare TPS that I will try and get on tomorrow. I also missed a water hose connection. But for the conditon that I got this truck in, I am vey pleased with how thigs are going.

It was used as a parts truck and then I used it as a parts truck and for what all I have had to do, it has been a good challenge for me. The previous picture is where I started to take a few things back off to get the Plenum off. If wont take long, it just started getting to cold outside.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:12 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
life has got me by the britches lately. sorry to say and good to say. we've been having nice weather up here (currently 75 degrees). haven't had the chance to read much on here.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:54 PM

Great job man, mine was throwing a tps code becouse of that pinched water hose it went away after I fixed that, can't help ya on the igniter.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:25 PM

Terry, looks like you are getting there, hope it works out. I want to see the video of it running. Did some work on my 4running, will post later or tomorrow. Be safe.... Bill
Old 03-24-2012, 01:23 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello 92 toy..I hear you. With the high gas prices, it is going to start effecting several different areas in life. Hooray for the great weather though. It so much better then last year. It was rough working on the 88 this time last year.

Hello Jason..Hope you are having a great weekend. Will be looking for pics.lol just kidding. My spare TPS seems to be testing good and looks as though my coil is bad on the primary terminals.That should be an easy fix.

Thanks Bill, I was doing so good, just knew there would be a little set back. No biggie, so far it is easy fixes. I did make alot of progress without any hiccups, so all in all I am happy with how things are going. Will be checking out your thread soon as you get it updated.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:32 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Here is the hose I didnt put on. I will have to take the whole intake off to do it as I am just going to replace the entire intake with the spare I have. I have a small fortune wrapped up in fuel, oil,gear oil,filters and such so will be keeping this on the cheapie side for now. Dont want to take the chance of ruining the hose or hose adapter. This will be an easy fix. Also wanted to show the green build up on this water sensor. I now have the intake cleaned and painted and the sensor is clean now.

I ran some test on my Igniter and the coil is showing bad on the primary terminals. I am getting 0 ohms and should have .4-.5 ohms. I am going to use the coil assembly off of my flat bed to see how things will go. I was getting a spark at the plug and the manual says if there is spark it should start. I have run into this in the past where I got spark and the motor wouldnt run. That was on a Ford. Hoping things go the same way on this one.

Last edited by Terrys87; 12-02-2014 at 01:50 AM.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:56 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Last 3 people I helped(hands on) with 'no start' issues ended up being 'Dizzy 180* off'.... Tons of white hot spark, no go-go! lol. NOT EVEN saying that's likely for ya... Just curious at this point what is your prob., ya know?

Best wishes, buddy!
Old 03-24-2012, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Chef.. It is a Fuel issue. Good new below.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

IT WILL START...I have to use Starting Fluid to get it to start. Now I am trying to figure out why the injectors are not working.

All of that typing and I timed out. Didint check the Log in button.Urghh

I replaced the TPS with one that I had checked out and then put the Coil out of my flatbed in and it will start using Starting Fluid. I then jumped TE1 and E1 and got all 1s which is no malfunctioning part. WAHOOO!!! I was really concerned that after all of the wiring I replaced that I would be chasing electrical signals and I am not the best at following schematics. One reason I try to put my fixes on my 88 as I know there are several that are not comfortable with a meter.

I then wanted to see if it was a fuel issue or a spark issue. I hit it with some starting fluid and turned the key. BAM!! It fired off and sounded good. I know I am getting fuel to the Cold Start Injector as I was testing the starter the other day and got fuel everywhere.

It is a fuel issue and cant be much. I still need to tear the intake side down and get my missing hose replaced.

Here is a video that I found on YOUTUBE that might help someone when doing their 22re.

This is not me, I still havent figured out how to do youtube.lol

YOUTUBE VIDEO on Installing a Distributor http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6b-vnsk5xA

Last edited by Terrys87; 03-25-2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I had to change the intakes. There was one major diffrerence. The hose by the thermostat has a pressed in fitting in some and threaded in others. I am missing the threaded piece or would of just changed that part. There was another change but it is a hose connection that I was just able to swap.

Intake differences.

I got the old intake off and the new one on. I am stopping at the fuel rail even though I dont feel I have a problem in this area. I feel it is something affecting all of the injectors. I had the grounds on so will do some studying up on what could be keeping them from firing off. I am definetlly getting fuel to the rail and it even looked like it was going back to the tank. I know I am getting fuel to the Cold Start Injector.

New intake on and the hose that started the reason for tearing it back down,

The flashlight actually has 2 differnent brightness modes. It will be a pain in the rear to have to stop to change from high beam to low beam. Just need one for the passsenger side. My Model T4 Runner. Little by little I am getting it closer to being able to move it under its own power. We have some better weather coming and would like to get out in the sun and get some good pics of the interior.

Quick Reply: Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance