86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 01:31 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
WOW, that's a great pic to see!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Glad the trick helped... I never had seen it anywhere and thought.... "Hmmmmmm, that has to take up the slack going the other way, RIGHT???" lol.... Along with the worry that I'd knock it of the notches, etc., but MAN it made it just slide on like warm butter! lol.

Looking good, man!
Old 03-19-2012, 01:26 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Thanks Chef..It worked great. Never had it to go so easy. I hope my tip helps some one down the road that I will post below.

Seems like I am stuck in slow mode. Had to go get the cherry picker and then I needed a clutch alignment tool and the local parts store didnt have one so living in the midwest, the closest one was 20 miles away. I will just keep chugging along.

I got the clutch on, Im not going to show a full rebuild as there are other builds here that do a much better job of explaining and pics then I could ever do.

One trick I like to use when putting in a pilot bearing is to use a 1 inch socket and then insert a smaller socket into the inverted 1 inch and using a extention, I tap it into place.

The manual says to use a socket that is the same diameter of the outer race bearing on a pilot bearing. I am always worried that while tapping it in I will slide off of the outer race bearing and do some damage to the pilot bearing.

Hope this gets the idea across with my awesome photo abilities.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHnTZ...feature=relmfu

Last edited by Terrys87; 05-30-2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:35 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I was planning on doing some fishing this week, but sounds like we are going to be getting alottt of rain. So I have been working on a list to keep getting some things done.

While working in the shop today, I had a guy to stop by asking about if I knew where any 2nd gen extended cabs, EFI, 4x4s were. He has stopped before asking about some. I was telling him good luck on getting one. They are hard to find around here and for the condition he is looking for. When one does show up, they are high priced.

I said if I wanted one in that condition, I would fly out west and drive one back for the cost of one around here. Been trying to help him find one but not having any luck. I know if I ever decided I want one, I would just have to piece it together. I come across 2wd ones occasionally and would just convert it to the way I wanted it.

Even the runners can be difficult to find around here.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Getting the transmission ready. Got to do a little reviewing on getting the two hooked up. Still need to prep the transfer case. I am really hoping to have this truck running by Friday if all goes well. Will just have to wait and see.

I have torqued and retorqued all bolts except the crankshaft and camshaft bolts. Will be getting to them soon. I have all of the gaskets I need except for the half moons and 2 acorn/valve cover gaskets and will be getting them later. Flywheel and Clutch are now ready to go and when prepping parts I didnt do the Throwout Bearing Arm. No matter how far ahead I try to plan things,seems like I always leave one off of the list. It is now ready to go also.

The cable I am holding in my hand should be the Reverse light switch. I have had the problem of where the protective cover has slid away from the plug and the wire rubbing on the transmission causing a short which will blow the Engine fuse. There are several circuits on this fuse line and can be a little difficult to find.

When I had this issue on my 88, I actually couldnt find any information on this problem at the time. I have since found some. Just thought I would throw this out while at this point.

Maybe they will be together soon.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

The other day I was working in the shop and this pup came in and seem to just sit and watch what I was doing. After about 30 minutes he was in the road and I took him to the neighbor who had some visitors and it was theirs. They were looking to get rid of it so I thought I would take him. I usually dont get too excited about pets, but he just seems like a good pup.

We had another dog that was a too much trouble and some girl wanted her. I was glad to see it go. We did have a cool parakeet awhile back but he kicked the can. He was one I did like.

Grease rag on 4 paws.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:37 AM

Hahahah, 'GREASE RAG ON 4 PAWS!' hahahaha.... That reminds me of a Sat. Night Live skit where SOMEONE was pushing the dog around the kitchen and hard wood floors(I believe it was Gilda Radner, RIP ) .... The pup got swooshed around and then got up and took the trash out and brought in the paper while she drank whiskey! hahaha.

Far as the reverse and 4WD plugs.... they are BOTH supposed to have anchor washers, Terry. They often break free, like a hanging anchor on a product in the store that goes over the hooks???? Ya know what I mean? lol. Bad design, but the one for the 4WD one is stronger. I anchored mine back on the trans and it's no longer rubbing on anything. Yo can buy these type anchors at Lowe's, but I'm also sure the Auto Parts Stores like Pep Boys have them as well

GREAT WORK, MAN, .......BUT HURRY UP, I'M ITCHING FOR ANOTHER LONG AWAITED 'DRIVE BY VIDEO!'(Trademark by Travis, AKA 'iamsuperbleeder', hehehe)
Old 03-20-2012, 04:30 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Chef..He has been a great little pup so far. He doesnt have teeth, he has needles. They are sharp.

I will be getting the light switch fastened down real good. Just about all of the ther circuits run on the Engine fuse and of course I started looking for the problem on everything else first before checking the light circuit, but it was a good learning experience.

If I get it running soon,(I hope) I plan on towing it out to my dads place and testing it out there. I will have to rig up the radiator and it still has a ways to go to get it roadworthy. Only 2 tires have the same size and wont have no windshield just yet.

Supposedly the motor ran before I got it and all of the things that were worked on before was not done properly. I have spent quite a bit of time getting things corrected and with the problems it had, I feel I have a good shot at it firing up fairly quickly. I have been checking everything to the last little detail.

I did an 89 pickup and it fired up when I wasnt ready. I was just trying to see if some circuits were working and testing the starter. That was a nice surprise. Didnt have all of the fluids topped off and no water in it and timing was just in the ball park.

Tomorrow is my day off and have plans on knocking out a lot of little things on it and some big things. Sometimes things seem to go at a good flow, other times not.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need to do a better job keeping up with your thread, great work man. Cute dog I bet your boys love it. I've got those tailgate parts laid out for ya I'll get them shipped soon as get home.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:06 AM

Hey, ..... is that's an Aussie? You know, one of those sheep herding dogs? (Blue eye and brown eye???? ) lol hahaha. BEAUTIFUL, Terry.... gonna be a lil ball of dynomite for a bit though! lol.

Good news on the moving it over to pops(in this case, anyway, lol), as that ONLY means progress! Best wishes on a smooth first start!
Old 03-20-2012, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Jason, I found that tab you were wanting and let me know if you need anything else. Kids love him. I havent missed our old dog. Some little girl wanted her and I was glad to let he have that one.

Hello Chef.. He is part Austrailian Shepard. He has the brown eyes. He is a been great so far. Really enjoying him.

Speaking of pops, he stopped by and got put to work. I think he actually enjoyed it. Made him feel like he was helping me out. He actually slows me down but he does know axles and rear brakes better then I do. I told him I would be needing his help on that soon. I think he is looking forward to it.

Got to talk to RMP8080,today, enjoyed talking to him. Think he about has me talked into a diesel swap. It will be further down the road. I am really thinking of doing a diesel swap. Just have to keep an eye out for a wrecked diesel car. Still not sure which way to go, but I would like more pulling power and better mileage. I do alot of driving and gas is one of my bigger expenses.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Tomorrow is my day off and we are getting flooded out around here. So there goes some plans that I had, but I am really shooting for getting this truck running tomorrow if all goes well.

Here is my plan, ( we know how that goes, right??lol)
Get gastank hose on.
Add fluids.
Install whole drive train as one piece.
Hook up all connections.
Bolt radiator to core support and rig it with bolts and such to get truck running.

Sounds like just a few steps, gotta keep it simple. It will be a late day, but this is my goal for tomorrow. Got fingers crossed. I wont be hooking up the drive shafts,power steering, and AC. Just the basics to see what engine codes I may get and any other problems may come across.

Here is what dad and me got done. All seals in, tranny and tcase connected. I tried to keep the glare off of the pic. Grrr...

Last edited by Terrys87; 07-24-2013 at 05:09 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:18 PM

That engine and transmission look immaculate. Glad I had time to catch up with your thread.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:05 PM

Du'dah! lol.... that looks EDIBLE! hahahaha...... Best wishes on the whole plan, .... hopefully you'll have NO MAJOR SNAGS and be done quickly to boot!

Give your pop's the best wishes too, man! Man, .... really wish My Father hadn't moved to AZ.... But hey, that's how life USUALLY works, right? :/ lol.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Dutch.. Glad to see you again. I posted a pic of the Purge port on your thread. will be posting a pic for you from the canister. I try to get some good pics of all of the vaccum lines but it just looks like spaghetti on the computer. Let me know and I will do ech hose at a time on which ones you need.

Hello Chef. Thanks, I have been putting alot of work into it. One thing that has really been eating up alot of my time has been getting the right bolts to where they belong. I have plent of them, just finding which one goes where. Got to enjoy the time with dad when possible.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Didnt get near as much as I had wanted. I got a later start then what I wanted to and then I spent two hours on the gas tank alone. It is DONE!!!

I do have one problem and hoping it will get fixd. The vapor return is clogged. I have it soaking with Marvel Mystery oil. It isnt anything major right now. I have a little bottle top and pouring the Marvel down it. Will eventually try puttin a high pressure air hose on it to clear it out, but want to let it soak a while.

I slid the gas hose down the pipe as far as I could. I also bought a longer hose for the vent.

Here is the plugged line I was talking about. Hope this works. I will replace it if I have to but want to try this first.

I got the tranny and tcase fluids in along with the motor. It is now setting in the truck.

Last edited by Terrys87; 05-12-2013 at 04:23 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:31 PM

Right on........... Must be a lil easier to get it in there without the front clip on, eh? hahaha.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I tried to have things prepped as far as I could, and I did the wrong cross member. I did the one for the pickup. By the time I got the tranny mount onto the crossmember, it started getting cold, so fugured it was jsut a good stopping point.

Tomorrow I plan on getting the crossmember in and then start getting all of the wiring hooked up. Hoping tomorrow goes a little better. Between telate start and the gas tank, it really set me back on time.

I forgot that I had new plugs wire,cap on the 22r that I have built for the truck. So will be putting those things on and replace the trucks later on. Looking forward to putting gas in and seeing if my gauge works, would be nice to have the low fuel light, but I dont know if I got it or not.

Still have tomorrow and some of Friday to get things going.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Chef, It is sooo much easier. I orginally was going to have it weld back up, but a friend of mine has his bolted in when his kid wrecked it 5 years ago and no problems. Im just bolting mine in. It is great being able to work on the motor without the front clip.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:13 PM

every nice, almost running
Old 03-22-2012, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello RMP8080.. I am sure trying to get it runnng. Today has been going better then yesterday with no set backs so far.

Quick Reply: Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance