86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 10:51 AM

Received 208 Likes on 146 Posts
Yep Terry I do recognize you from the post office, be glad to take care of your trucks when they catch you. My '88 dlx speedo also goes to 110. Pretty sure that since the speedo gear is in the t-case the #revolutions of the cable is same no matter sr5 or dlx. On the dlx since there is no tach they prob just had more room so they put more of a scale for aesthetic reasons. Sr5 has a tach and all those other gauges so I'm sure toyo figured no toyota 22re would ever get over 85 anyway.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Hello coryc85 ..I think if I got up to 85, I would be doing a motor rebuild. lol...My pictures just never show up that good. I am thinking the same thing that the SR5 wont work do to the gering. I was hoping that maybe they changed the gearing in the guage. I will do some investigating. Dont want to ruin it.

Here is a better picture of the filler hose. I could slide some down from the gas cap area, and was wondering if I could stretch the hose just a little bit. The vent hose I can easily replace.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:33 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
"We don't need no stinkin filler hoses!" hehehehe. Hey man, ..... sorry bout the gauge.... not gon'a worky?
Old 03-14-2012, 11:34 AM

Hey, .... the Checkered gauge is the 86?
Old 03-14-2012, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Chef...I dont know if it will work. I hope so. I will check into it. It did come from an 88. I am hoping it will be geared in the guage. Great news on the rear window. Wahoo. I will post pics and send Dutchbellys a PM to thank his wife. She helped me get my backhatch fixed on the 88.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I got my rear window working.Yahooo. Still have to get the latches to work. Last year when I was having difficulty on my 88, there was a ground wire that went to nowhere. I asked the question and Dutchbelly had his wife to explain it to me. Basically it bypasses alot of safety junk.

Still need to get the hatch back together, but window works. Run a ground wire from the top left corner looking at tab. It is a blue wire.

I have tried several different grounds in the past on both trucks and the only good ground that I can get is the front mountng tab to the center console. This is a temporary fix. I still have the glass out and things all apart, but it is getting there.
This will go up and down with top off so and down the highway. I have never had a problem with the safty bypassed. Solves alot of headaches.

Ground to center consloe mounting tab.

Last edited by Terrys87; 09-02-2012 at 11:24 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I am still working on my gastank situation and have to get the latches all figured out. I have the glass out. Makes it so much easier to work on the hatch.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Terry, a few years old, on got a complete fuel sending unit off E-bay from a Toyota dealer in the middway, it came with new screws, they are brass I thinks. I'll look for the old ones and let you know.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks RMP8080...I would feel better about having brass screws. The tanks tend to have a dip and I can see water standing and having rust issues.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

For the road blocks I kept having, things seemed to have worked themselves out. I have learned when that happens to do something else and think about it a little while.

I have figured out what some of the problems. I am missing a small plastic tab/ shaft. I can do a little redneck fixing by using a sheet metal screw for now. The other problem is that the cables are frozen up. I got one freed up and soaking in oil. Not operating as easy as I would like.

I dont have a key to the tailgate so wont be able to work on that part of problem, but I will be able to use the backhatch and that is the biggest relief.

I have to work tomorrow which is normally a day off. After the roll I was on, I was hoping to keep it going.

Where the screwdriver is, I can make a screw work for a temporaily fix. Still trying to see what else is missing, but I will be usable fairly soon.

Here is what the tab looks like. I am getting this backhatch figured out well. I had the wife truck all tore apart to figure some of this out. Got it back together for the most part.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Well back to 2 problems I am still having.

The Gastank filler hose. I am thinking I can get some hose further down by not having it so high on the gas cap end?

The other problem is the SR5 guage. I would think that the gears in the tranny would be the same and maybe Toyota geared the guage for this. Any thoughts on this? One being the 110mph and the SR5 being 85mph.

Video for correcting odometer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reYkxh3ETeU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgYpL...eature=channel

Last edited by Terrys87; 04-11-2012 at 04:30 AM.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:43 PM

Terry, my SR5 gauges has two LEDs one red the other green for the ECT and also 110 mph on the speedometer, maybe their run out of 85 mph and had to use the 110?
Old 03-15-2012, 05:58 AM

Received 99 Likes on 70 Posts
The SR5 guage you have in front is from an '85 or '86. It has the grid design in it's background. Not sure what '87 had but the '88 and '89 guages have a more subtle background and the speedometer is back up to 110. Have you honestly driven a first gen above 85 mph anyway? I don't think mine will go much above 75 I just got a '88 guage from someone here that's within a few miles of my real mileage. When I get up to that I intend to swap it. I think they are both geared the same as long as they're both from the same motor and 5 speed.

When I was a kid I remember we would look inside muscle cars and we thought the speedometer numbering indicated how fast the car would go. My Honda minivan shows 165 mph. Screamin' minivan.

Last edited by Nervo19; 03-15-2012 at 06:03 AM.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:53 AM

if i remember right the 85mph is a 4x4 one, and the 110 is a 2wd
Old 03-16-2012, 10:45 AM

Hmmm,... 87 SR5 4WD 22REC= No grid, 110mph speedo, ......that much I know. My 86 did have the grid.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello RMP8080... I starting to thing that the gears in the trannys are the same. So I am hoping they geared in the cluster.

Hello Nervo...lol about the driving 85. Yep, Missouri State Trooper can verify it. He got me at 82 mph and it still had a lot left. I had been working on my wife 88, removed the clogged converter and new fuel filter and it has never ran so good. Coming home from work, I kid you not I do 60 mph trying to save fuel, and 5 miles from home, I was going to see what it would do for less then a mile. I have a 37 or 42 mile drive depending on which way I go. He let me go with a seat belt ticket. It is on my 88s build. A friend I havent seen in quiet some time seen my name in the newspaper last week and called me about it laughing.

Minivans work great when you have young kids. Had a few myself. Never seen what it would do. Great when the seats come out and for hauling things.

I corrected the mileage on my flatbed, but you are going abut it the safer way. I practiced on a non SR5 guage and messed it up. If everything goes right it isnt bad. But it can be a little nerve racking taking it apart. Not something I care to do again, but will have to eventually on this one.

Hello 1986toyout4x4...I think it should work. 110 isnt going to happen with a 22re. Wouldnt be anything of a motor to rebuild.lol

Hello Chef..I actually pulled it from a 88 3.0. Not sure if it is orginal. I will wait til I get it running and make sure I dont have any electrical issues before sticking it in. I hope it works out. I hardly run faster then 70, so it wount be a problem only going to 85.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I got off of work early today, but have to go back in here in a few hours. I was able to pick up the head today. Wont be able to get it put together for the next couple of days as the hours are catching up to me. Im really excited about finally getting it together.

Genuis me, decied to throw all of the old tune up things away, (plugs,cap,wires) I was going to replace it with new, but the wife is still on medical leave so that is going to be a hold up on parts. I will use the things off of my flatbed just to see if it runs which will have to be on a day off so that I can put it back on the flat bed.

Got my backhatch figured out. Cables are frozen up. I tried to get them freed up, that isnt going to happen. I am thinking I might be able to check a bike shop for them. When I first started on the backhatch problem over a year ago, I remember how intimidated I was by it. Not anymore. I feel really comfortable on it now.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:45 PM

Terry, I've use the GPS to test my MPH with a radar unit and GPS is pretty good and my VW only 3 mph off @ 55, thank God it is lower....oh thats right I did not have that problem.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello RMP8080.lol..Mine is only off by 2 miles an hour on the 88 using the GPS. I need to hook up my cigarette lighter and see how my flatbeds speedo is after messing with it the other day. Might make that a quick project in the next couple of days.

Is the GPS really accurate? I dont think I have the factory size tires on any of my trucks.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I got some things done today. May not look like much but getting the shop cleaned, trashed and cleaned again is an accomplishment for me. I can spend 5 minutes working in there and 30 cleaning.

I got my head yesterday and got it installed a with the camshaft and timing chain. I usually struggle with getting the camshaft gear and tried a little trick Chef mentioned to me a while back. Worked great. If it had went on that easy any other time, I might have thought I had it on upside down,backwards, inside out....

I found a set of hood hinges that were silver, but wound up getting a set from Jason and they are the same color as my truck. Thanks Jason. One less thing I will need to paint later on. I will do some painting on the inner fenders later on and other touch ups.

Still need to work on my fuel line issue. I got a new vent line so that will make it a little easier. I think I can get enough slack to make it work. I will get the back glass in soon for the last time. Also got a few more interior pieces done up.

My nephew blew the motor in his truck and has the engine hoist. Hoping he doesnt have it long. I am going to install the whole drive train in on piece. Having the front end off makes it so much easier working on the motor. I am just going to bolt the front end together. A guy down the road did the same on his 87 and hasnt had any problems in 5 years.

Getting there.

Quick Reply: Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance