86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 12:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good idea, better outside than in your house. I can't wait for winter to end...
Old 12-04-2014, 04:47 PM

Add the top barrell!!!mine is superb in my garage.heats great.I put a flue in between the barrels and at the top barrell as well.cheap,effective stove.I used to party at a trailer house with a barrell stove and it burnt down...
Old 12-14-2014, 12:19 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Hello nmtoy... It is working great. I have got to try it in 30 degree weather and it had me sweating. It will get toasty in the shop in the kind of weather so am looking forward to this winter a little better. Still I am ready for spring or summer. lol

LOL Chris.. I got a kick out of burning the house down. The things we do when we are younger and still some how survived. My boys have already done a few things that could of hurt them badly and were lucky. Their teenage years are still to come and Misty gets on to me for some of the things I have showed them or let them do. It would be a boring world if it weren't for the male species always trying to push the limits.
Old 12-14-2014, 12:56 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I had a post typed out and my computer rebooted on me for some updates, grr... I did get a few days off and would of liked spending the time and money on the trucks but figured it was better to spend it on the shop. Colder weather is bound to get here soon and I don't want to go thru last winter again stuck in the house.

I am going to take Chris's advice and add the top barrel but the barrel stove is great. It is working great to get rid of any paper trash that is generated around the house and shop. I have 6 Elm trees that I want to get rid of and that will happen a little at a time. I have been in the woods cutting up more fire wood, but will be glad to get rid of the elm trees. They generate a lot of twigs.

I also finally learned how to wire in 220 volt electric. Still not comfortable with 110 volt. I wired in a 220 volt electric heater that I will use for painting or when I need temps to stay warm over night. I got a lot done to my shop and got it cleaned which is a never ending task.

I was working on a 64 Chevy and then gas went thru the roof so that stopped that project. A friend of mine is wanting it so will be selling it to him. I will be getting a welder out of the deal so am looking forward to learning some small welding projects. This is the 2nd and only two projects I have not finished. The 64 is to hard on fuel and the 1st gent Toyota truck was a long bed and I want a short bed 1st gen when I do fix one someday. One will come along when things are ready, just got to get other things done.

Here is from a previous post I did on the 64.
I just got back form my inlaws. Before I got into Toyotas, I was working on a 64 Chevy pickup. It orgianlly came with a 6 cylinder (230 or 235 dont remember now) with a 3 speed on the tree. I found the truck at a city wide garage sale and wanted to fix something up. The 67-72 Chevy trucks are a little more pricer so thought I would try something a little different. I also bought a wrecked 83 3/4 ton Chevy truck that had a 350 with a 4 bolt main and 4 barrell and a Turbo 400 tranny. I put the 83 drive train into the 64 and found a 65 auto rear end for it.

From LMC, I bought new bumpers, grill, rear mounted gas tank, new door mechanisims, inner and outer fenders to eliminate any rust and had new rockers and cab corners welded in. I was going to do this truck up right. This was several years ago and right after I got it running and ready for paint, gas went thru the roof and it only gets about 10 miles to the gallon and for what I had into it, as afraid I wouldnt get out of it what I had into it so I gave it to my father in law. Well my mother inlaw just wont let him put the money into it to finish it up.

While there today, I got some pics of it and will probably be getting it back this coming spring. I will finish it up and sell it when done. I was into Fords, Chevys and Dodges befroe I switched over to Toyotas. Gas prices made me switch and I bought my 87 flat bed for economy and then really got to liking Toyotas.

64 Chevy Truck, I was wanting to put a short wide bed on it but wasnt able to find one. A fender without the tire mount was expensive.
Name:  644.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  167.8 KB

New rear mouneted tank and new dual exhaust. Covered to keep them protected.
Name:  647.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  166.9 KB

I do have new grill,bumper, and blinker lights.
Name:  648.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  184.8 KB

Side view
Name:  64.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  204.7 KB

Rebuilt 350 and new battery tray in bottom of pic.
Name:  645.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  114.7 KB

New door handles with new windshield and rubber seal. I didnt take any short cuts on this truck.
Name:  646.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  143.3 KB
Old 12-19-2014, 05:58 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I have been busy and not working on the trucks. Mostly want to get the shop where I can use it when it is cold. The stove works great. I am going to add another barrel on top just to capture more heat so when it is bitter cold that I can work in the shop. As of now the coldest it has been outside is in the low 30s and high 20s and I was sweating in the shop. A great set up.

My local Dollar General provides plenty of cardboard to start fires with. I start with cardboard, throw a few dry sticks and then get it going. While it is starting I go and get a cup of coffee and when I come back out add some more dry wood and then the shop is comfortable enough to start working in and with in 30 minutes most of the materials is starting to get room temperature.

I started using my Harbor Freight container for the odd ball clips, nuts and bolts or different things that I don't have many of or need to store. Using them as nut and bolt bins just get to heavy and limited on the amount that I can store.
Name:  stove8_zpse462772d.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  32.5 KB

I got this bin from Orsheilns and it works great. One bin for washers, one bin for nuts, one bin for 10mm bolts, 3 bins for the different lengths of 12mm bolts, two bins for the 14mm bolts and 2 bins for the 17mm bolts. Also got my fire extinguisher mounted. I had it before the stove and is a good measure just to have anyways. Learn how to use them and they will do a great job.
Name:  stove9_zps76c41abd.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  28.1 KB

Just need to finish paneling my west wall. With a fan at the bottom of the stove and one at the top, and I have a ceiling fan in the center of the roof as well. Been spending a lot of time getting the shop set up.
Name:  stove5_zps2e3030fc.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  37.9 KB

I did get a welder (wahoo) I am also going to build some shelves later on. The tallest container I have is a 5 quart of oil jug and it is only 12 inches tall. I have a lot of shelf space being wasted and want to have more shelves for less space.
Name:  stove6_zps1fe4f2d7.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  48.1 KB

I got my electric heater in, still need to finish up getting the wiring concealed. Also on top of it, I got some air hose just above the heater so I don't have to drag an air hose all over the place. I got some air hose that I can connect and run about 25 feet out into the yard with out having to pull a car into the shop. Been a lot more done and it just takes time but should be getting these things wrapped up so I can get back on the trucks here shortly. I am thinking things are going to be a lot better this winter then last winter as I was not able to get out in the shop.

Would of liked to been on the trucks but figured in the long run I better work on the shop. Last year I nearly went nuts sitting in the house due to the cold and put on the weight for that. Should be getting things going again soon and one reason I have not been as busy on here or the trucks.
Name:  stove7_zps57f6a657.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  34.6 KB
Old 12-19-2014, 10:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
terry those electric heaters are meant to be low on the wall to work best not saying it wont work there but wont heat the air as well meant to draw in cold floor air heat it an let it rise near the wall

i know lower down they get covered with stuff an such leaned on um glad to hear the barrel stove works so well shop looks like its getting to be quite the facility! we gona see signage out front terry's yota restorations? ;-)
Old 12-19-2014, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Cyberhorn... You were right about it being a power hog. I watched the meter and it takes about 30 seconds for it to make one revolution. I turn on the electric heater and it makes about 8 revolutions in 30 seconds. You can tell when you turn it on. Being low I am afraid it will get wet when I water the floor down when painting and will mostly be used to help cure the paint as all of the other heat sources I have involve flames.

The amount of time I have in getting the shop to where it is now is unreal. I have done a lot to it and am hoping to get where I can get back on the trucks soon. Pictures don't do it justice as to where it at now and hoping others might find the bin and stove a useful thing. It is great for what I want. I have two torpedo heaters and I don't think I will ever be using them again.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Wow!!! I hadnt realized how long it ahs been for my 86 Runner build. My runner is still chugging along and doing well. I got a console from Grego way back when for the 86 pickup that I did a while back and the owner just got the console installed today. Grego did an outstanding job on the console and the pictures dont do it justice. It looks great!!!

Here is the truck that I did.
Name:  stripe3_zpse1dc685b.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  91.7 KB

One view and also has the SR5 door panels installed.
Name:  interior%202_zpszxdzkzf1.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  86.6 KB

Another view and truck is along ways from what it was. Been some other things done just cant remember what it was.
Name:  interior%201_zpsjxqysac7.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  84.9 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 05-07-2015 at 01:06 AM.
Old 02-24-2015, 03:22 PM

Received 99 Likes on 70 Posts
Nice! That is the exact truck, well it was beige, that made me go out and get a 4Runner. We had a "historic snowfall" in the late 80's and some friends came to get me in one and we 4 wheeled all day. You should show the rear area with no seats. I can't figure out how four people fit in that but we did!

Last edited by Nervo19; 02-24-2015 at 03:23 PM.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:09 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
DANGGGGG! Terry, I'm sorry I've not been keeping up on YT... Mainly because of you and several others who I have so much respect for! This thing is just incredibly gorgeous! Your work is spectacular dude, and to think, using as minimal amount as possible in new parts! YOU DA KING! Lol
Old 02-24-2015, 09:01 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Looks great Terry! so glad it was put to such good use on a worthy project!
Old 02-25-2015, 12:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice. Grego always does clean refurbishment job. It looks good terry
Old 02-25-2015, 01:11 PM

lookin good that console
gona have to figure out how /what to mount in the kids 79 after getting the seats in
Old 02-25-2015, 09:05 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
The pickup looks NICE! Great work Terry and nice score from Grego!
Old 02-26-2015, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

LOL Nervo19...I remember those days. That is a cramped area with the seats in. I will try and post a picture later today with my seat in mine to get an idea of how it would be cramped back in there. I dont know about you but I was a little thinner back then. ( Ok, alot thinner).

Thanks Mark...I did finally get on Instagram thru Mistys phone and seen what you have done. You have done alot with your truck. I still havent posted on Instagram but when I figure it out, I will let you know. Not sure what the account name will be on it. Wait til I win the lottery that I dont ever play, then I will be doing all sorts of projects. lol

Thanks Grego92...I would not of let gone to just any project that would of gotten abused. It really does look great and I was impressed. You did a great job. Jason was impressed with the mudflaps he got from you as well. I should be seeing them soon.

Thanks Richard... I still get a smile seeing it. It was a nice base model truck when I got it and at its worse during restore, it looked like I destroyed a nice looking truck. There are better looking trucks in the salvage yard at one time.

Hello Cyberhorn... I am still not sure what I am going to use in my 85. Soon as it warms up, I want to hit the yards looking at different models and see if something will interchange with ours that might serve several different purposes.

Thanks 86 Toy... Looking at it now and remembering it with the bed off, primer, stripped down of bumpers, trim, dash out, no wiper delay, and how base model it was, you would be surprised at how hard it can be to remember all of that. It is rewarding when done. I really think that truck drives as nice as the day it rolled out of the dealer. Will be looking forward to the day you get yours done that way. So much different then driving a newer truck in my opinion. Another bonus for me is when I get to take one of mine on a long road trip after a major tear down. ( Then I get to wondering if I installed the oil pan bolt, spark plugs, distributor... lol)
Old 02-26-2015, 02:13 PM

Terry, that truck looks fabulous! Just like mine only immaculate.

Nice work!
Name:  88Extracab001.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  93.7 KB
Old 02-27-2015, 04:20 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks nmtoy... I see yours has the sunroof and most likely yours is the FULLY loaded model. Seeing yours and Toms trucks makes me want mine on the road that much more. That is a great looking truck you have. Mine wont have the sunroof but the main harness has about all of the options that you could get. It is going to take a while for me to get all of my options working but in the long run I am hoping mine comes out as well as both of you and Toms trucks look.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:23 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Jason got here a day late but think we will be able to get everything accomplished that he is wanting to get done. First is going to be the heater core and we will work our way thru the dash and then start going thru any other things that we find. Some will also be interior work. Waiting on the shop to warm and getting some coffee in me and then the destruction begins. They have to look worse before they look better. Mostly interior and motor work is what is going to be going on.
Name:  jason%201_zpsujh2e7uy.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  42.1 KB
Old 03-01-2015, 09:17 AM

Hi Terry,

Mine has a lot of the SR5 options but it's a DLX. No power windows or locks which I don't care for. I converted my 86 SR5 runner to manual locks and windows.

My truck looks good from a distance but it needs some love.

I still can't wait for winter to end...
Old 03-01-2015, 12:58 PM

good news that jason is safe with the way the roads are

Quick Reply: Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance