Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kornhuskerwizard
Nice decals!!
Very nice
Old 09-06-2014, 12:21 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Thanks kornhuskerwizard and Gizzler00.. One day I am hoping to get mine to the stage to where I can get stripes on it. The stripes really set it apart from the others that are in are area.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:31 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I used my runner to run on a 98 mile trip ( one way) to the yard to get some parts for my 85 and that is about the second longest trip I think I have had it on. I always have used one of the other trucks just because they ride better. I have a lot of miles on mine, but mostly miles driving to and from work. It ran great and I averaged about 20 miles to the gallon and I was running a little faster then I normally do.

One complaint I do have besides needing some suspension work is it does not have AC. I am getting AC before next summer. I am not going thru another summer without it as that is one of the biggest reasons I don't take it on such long trips. Other then the heat that we had to deal with this week it was great.

I did get some new shocks for the rear finally. Of course it had the black, Toyota original shocks as most trucks I have seen do have. That did help the ride quite a bit. Will probably start doing some front end work on it soon. While changing the rear shocks I did notice my exhaust from the muffler and on to the rear has some rust pin holes in it and the muffler is starting to show some blisters so it will be getting changed out a little later on. It can wait as I have a few things I want to work on first and is still ok for now.

Another thing I noticed while changing rear shocks is I have a brake fluid leak on the drivers rear. I changed out the rear slave cylinder about 6 months ago with a parts store cylinder and it keep losing brakes. The cylinders were to small and kept popping out and having a major leak and no brakes. Finally I took a cylinder off of the 87 runner I have and I am suspecting it to be the part is leaking now as it was used and in bad shape. Where is the best place to get a factory slave cylinder? Looking for suggestions.

I have only had luck changing rear shoes on a truck in the past and that was probably an accident that I got it right. Rear brakes give me a tough time. I am going to have a friend to help me to change them out soon as I am sure the shoes are soaked with brake fluid.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

I think your talking about the rear brake wheel cylinders??they push out on the shoes when the brakes are applied??I've never had any problems with mine on any of my Toyotas but I think the biggest mistake is if they're old you have to be gentle with the brake line fitting going into the wheel cylinder or you will twist the line and cause a leak.other than that I used to think rear brakes were a pain until I had to change rear brakes on a triple axle belly dump rock trailer!!took me week and a half including new s cams and seals,bushings,bearings,drums,and shoes.

I would think any parts store wheel cylinder would be sufficient. When it comes to starters,alternators, I'd rather use a junkyard nippendenso than some Napa or auto zone reman junk.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:36 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I replaced my wheel cylinders awhile ago, as they were leaking like yours Terry. I just went with whatever brand I could get the quickest in town. It ended up being something from advanced auto parts. Very inexpensive also.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Gizler00
I replaced my wheel cylinders awhile ago, as they were leaking like yours Terry. I just went with whatever brand I could get the quickest in town. It ended up being something from advanced auto parts. Very inexpensive also.
I still haven't fixed my brakes...
Old 10-22-2014, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Chris...I still havent fixed mine yet as well. Helps get new fluid thru the system, lol. I need to get off of my rear and get it fixed.

Hello Mark... I think I will just go with the parts store one. Last part store one I bought was Toyota but for a car or something. The pistons were to short. It will be next week before I get to it. I need to get it done.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I am about ready to shoot my back glass and put it out of it misery. For some reason it wont go up the last inch or so. I swapped out the motor and the lift assembly and that has it working. Motor works great going down but not going up. At least I have it sealed up for now. I am wanting to get my 85 running so I can put the runner in the shop and take care of some small issues on it.

Another lift I had.
Name:  bg2_zps2b9dafa2.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  67.0 KB

I use bearing grease in the track to keep it from rusting and operating a little easier.
Name:  bg1_zpsad78410d.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  65.3 KB

A side project that I should get done tomorrow. A farmer must really like red. I have painted alot of his farm equipment red such as gates, feeders and some other things. These hay lifts will be getting painted red as well.
Name:  bg3_zps97f9d552.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  67.1 KB

Cub Cadet mower will be getting the yellow painted red. This will take a few days longer.
Name:  bg4_zps088d2bce.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  91.8 KB
Old 10-22-2014, 03:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
red is much easier to see in the snow.. an grass as well
Old 10-25-2014, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Cyberhorn... I have done several things in red for him. I will say that Implement paint is tougher. It is supposed to have some rust inhibitors in it I hear. It had some rust and deep gouges but it turned out great. I got the other fork to do and then the tractor. That is the one I am dreading. Hope I can get the paint to lay down well and look like it did from the factory.

The long spike was yellow. He wanted it red. I do have some yellow Implement paint if need to change it to yellow again.
Name:  implement1_zps0776bc9d.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  87.9 KB
Old 10-25-2014, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I will be taking the hay spikes to the owner. One needs some welding so I will do it at a later time. I had some paint left over from the first hay spike and let the brats use up what was left on the trailer. It has over spray on it from other truck beds that I have painted on it and just to give it some color and let them play with the spray gun, I let them shoot what was left. There was no prepping on the trailer and sure if I ran the trailer thru a carwash half of the paint would come off. They got plenty of runs in the paint but still they enjoyed trying to make it look a little better.

Hunter doing his part.
Name:  paint2_zpsec6dd80c.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  106.3 KB

Justin doing his part.
Name:  paint1_zpsf15437e0.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  78.1 KB
Old 10-25-2014, 11:14 PM

lol i used to do that with paint from the valve co i used to work for but that paint was epoxy 2 part stuff bonded to metal through all other coats of paint like it was part of the metal had to be ground off wouldnt peel or fall off expensive stuff too hated to waste any of it

my old chevy was black blue an white lol it sealed rust an thusly moisture out hit it with a hammer an it'd scuff but not break or crack

meant for protecting the valves from atmospheres so corrosive a toyota would dissolve in an hour wish i still had some LOL
Old 10-26-2014, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Cyberhorn... Every 2 seconds one would paint and then the other would be saying it was his turn. It turned into a little bickering match. Guess they thought they were going to run out of things to paint on the trailer. They did a bang up job on it or should say it looks banged up, lol.. I have had this trailer since '89, used to haul my motorcycles, and I need to strip it down and give it a good painting. The ply wood floor is about to rot out of it. I replace it about every 5 years. I might see if I can find some rugged paint. This trailer gets used alot!!!
Old 10-26-2014, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Yesterday, halfway to work, my brakes went out. It turned out to be the right front caliper just sprung a leak. I figured I had 50% pads left but only have 20%. The tags expire in a week on this runner. I was surprised to see I need to update the tags so soon and the thinnest of the pads, but I have had this runner on the road for a while and I do run the wheels off of it. I still need to repair the rear brake cylinder as it has a leak and will just start getting ready to replace all pads and shoes on it.
Old 10-26-2014, 03:30 PM

your brakes terry electrical here
we went to a haunted college thing last night an the lady of the house shes parked her 90 runner needs rebuild of the engine (v6) well her daily driver a 2000 ford focus its had a few nagging issues that suddenly went majorly bad dash lights running lights all poof no work we got home ok but found out the focus has a major recall for the issue the flex point at the rear hatch breaks wires an they short out blew like 4 fuses last night thats 7 of 8 wires there all broke the last has bare wires i got the ends taped off but no 3rd brake or licence plate lights this is fords fix its on a recall
Old 10-26-2014, 05:52 PM

Ewwwww...solder that.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:11 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Got some great deals on advics wheel cylinders at Napa when they sent me a coupon in an email. They are made for Aisin, to their specs, because they were overwhelmed over there in Japan after the whole nuclear disaster. I am hoping that they will begin to make clutches as well because I've been hearing bad things about Daikin doing most everything through Taiwan now...

You're a badass, brother, keep killing it! HOOAH!
Old 10-26-2014, 11:52 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Cyberhorn...I have had my battles with Ford. I bought a new Ranger in '98 with 3 miles on the odometer and it was a piece of junk. Luckily I had the warranty and popped for the extended warranty and I had to argue with the dealer and even called head quarters with issues. They don't care to honor the warranty. I take good care of my trucks and it really was a pile of junk. Also that was when the Firestone blow up happened between Ford and Firestone. I swapped out those tires as I got tired of fixing flats. A month later they told me to go get new tires, I had to have the old ones for the swap. I had already gotten new tires, but on my truck sales paper work, I still had the serial numbers of the tires. They would not refund me the purchase of the tires.

My dad laughed at me for buying that Ranger. He is a Nissan fan. He bought a '04 Focus and it was 3 years old. I told him it was a mistake. I rode in that thing with him not long ago. What a pile of crap that is. Seems like the motor mounts are solid and no cushion between the motor and frame. He has been broke down on the road with it.

I am a die hard old Ford fan, but around the late 80s or early 90s, they went down hill. My father in law is retired Ford UAW and will only buy Chevrolets. ( I'm conservative and they are liberal, wahoo!!! they love my Toyotas, NOT!!!) I would of never went foreign but I have had rounds with Chevy and wont buy a Dodge unless it is an old truck or car.

Hello Chris...That is probably the typical Ford fix now a days.

Thanks Mark... I replaced a wheel cylinder a while back and the piston kept popping out of the cylinder. It popped out on me going down a hill with a stop at the bottom. Luckily I was able to steer it thru the stop and get it home and figure out what the problem was. It even said Toyota on it, but the pistons were to short. I installed a used cylinder and that fixed the problem. Now it is leaking.

I ordered a new cylinder and am sure its pistons are to short as well. I will be in Joplin tomorrow and will see what NAPA has. Hopefully they will have the right one AND a good one. Part stores are going down hill on things. Hope Daikin doesn't go bad as well. One reason I do order so many parts on line now a days.

I got a feeling this one is not going to work. Looks to be great quality but for wrong model.
Name:  piston1_zpsab4a12e6.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  73.2 KB
Old 10-27-2014, 07:44 AM

oh the excuses have already started from ford 'our computers down so they cant verify if there was /is a recal for the issue ugh i personally wont own anything domestic newer than a 1985
Old 10-31-2014, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I have an older neightbor that bought a newer Ford. The headlights dont work and is under a recall. The part is on back order for 2 months. He was able to get the part but Ford wont reimburse him for it and will only do the work for free if they do it. He is ticked. Has only owned Fords all his life. He can only drive it during the day time. He is one unhappy camper.

Quick Reply: Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance