86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Wife and kids are back in school and things have settled down around here so have been making some progress. A friend of mine and me tore the 86 pickup down quite a bit chasing the Code 11 and I got to put it back together. Even he was not able to find it. It runs great and no code until you put in the jumper. Still working on that one.

I got the bed back on from doing the fuel pump swap and drivers side back togther on the dash and most on the passenger side. I came in waiting on some coffee and get a few things posted so as not have to play catch up. I dont always get posted what all is done and some of it is from going backwards.

Got the 4Runner seats bolted in. Got the rest of the interior put together. Getting started on polishing out the roof.
Name:  IMG_20140814_110658_zpsmdq1hbli.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  295.3 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 08-14-2014 at 01:15 PM.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

A memo for me if I ever wanted to do a VW Diesel swap>>> http://www.qualitygermanautoparts.co...ault&navt=Home

Here you go Cyberhorn for that salvage. It will be a month or so before I get up there.

B&B Import
1708 N. Phillips RD.
Nixa Mo, 65714

417-725-5296
800-477-8282

I forgot how fun it is to set the Intake valves. Always a little difficult to get your feeler guage in there. Usually just an 1/8th to a 1/4th turn gets them back in to their proper setting. Not sure what is going on with number 4 cylinder. I have seen some dirty motors from lack of oil changes but this one looks clean. The black stuff scrapes off easily.
Name:  IMG_20140815_110618_zpsuekuosz8.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  316.4 KB

Got the painted cover on. I never can get spark plug wires to look a little better then a bowl of spaghetti.
Name:  IMG_20140815_113337_zps9cx2svto.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  302.3 KB

Finally got the roof wet sanded. It is getting toasty outside so will finish polishing tonite or tomorrow. Still need to replace the front transfer case seal.
Name:  IMG_20140815_140708_zpshsv7ojv0.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  157.5 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 08-15-2014 at 11:11 AM.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ty terry if i can shake this cough before i drop dead ill give um a call
Old 08-15-2014, 02:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks good.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:27 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
That roof looks amazing terry.
Old 08-16-2014, 04:00 AM
Contributing Member

Received 477 Likes on 321 Posts
Nice cart and excellent height for tools.
We found one of those overhead projector carts schools use in somebody's trash this summer. Two shelves, wheeled, cabinet on the bottom. Upper shelf is on the tall side as am I which makes it a comfortable work height. It'll do.

Can't blame you for wanting some heat to avoid cabin fever- winter's usually bad enough but last year was ridiculous cold.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrys87
I will take the link. A guy I work with showed me that he uses a marine grade shrink wrap. What it does when it shrinks, as I understand it, it has a sealant to help make it more water proof then the standard shrink wrap. I didn't know it exist and he says it is easily available. Eventually I would like to do the fog light on low beam like you just did. That would be great. This past winter I was wishing I had fog lights. I am eventually going to add some more reverse lights as well or at least a switch that I can use to add more light to the back when needed. I am always pulling a trailer of some sort and at night it would be nice to have, especially when hooking or unhooking.
. We have these things called environmental splices basically you have your splice joint but there's heat shrink tubing that goes over it that you use a heat gun on to make it water /dirt /jp8/ hydro fluid proof on airplanes they are cheap I'll see if I can't find a link for them might be simpler then shrink wrap. Edit here's the link. http://www.edmo.com/index.php?module...&prod_id=18887

Last edited by Tylersrig; 08-18-2014 at 09:28 PM.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:31 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Cyberhorn... You did have a bad cough when talking to you. Hope you are feeling better. B&B is the best yard around here and one like to deal with. He is a 100 miles away from me is the only down side.

Thanks kornhuskerwizard... I should be getting it wrapped up soon. Hope to have it done tomorrow if all goes as planned.

Thanks Gizzler... I am just getting refresher course on it as I will someday be doing it again on my 85. Roof and hoods are the most difficult as they like to flex.

Hello habanero... This cart will work for now. Trying to find the exact cart you is not quite as easy of a task that it would seem. I see several but just not what I want. Last winter was rough on us last year and I think you get colder then we normally do. Hoping to have a warm winter this year. The last two have been brutal.

Thanks Tylersrig...I will get some of those on order. Those would be so much better then just the plain heat shrink.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:35 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I have been wanting to move my switches to underneath the ashtray for some time now and have been slowly working on that. I removed my shifter sticks to start running wire under the carpet. I got the transmission stick in with no problem but the transfer case stick was being a pain. I worked on it for 30 minutes while trying to get it back in. I took it out to take a picture of it and it went in within 15 seconds. Not sure what I was doing different but it is back in. A friend of mine are eventually going to try to make a 3 pronged screwdriver to push the cup down where you can get this clip in a little easier. Just something we haven't gotten around to yet.

This clip can be a bear to get in sometimes.
Name:  IMG_20140818_025933_zpsvtqwgtin.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  215.0 KB
Old 08-19-2014, 12:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
still coughing dang virus an theres little dr can do other than treat the symptoms not the cause

ive been thinking of moving my switches as well terry then get some big gulp sized cup holders an mount um where the switches were in the center console
Old 08-21-2014, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those splices are great don't think I said it before but I wish I had your motivation to fix my junk
Old 08-23-2014, 12:24 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Cyberhorn... I have had to clean the switches again and it is just from the dust that gets into them. I will be a great spot for a drink holder. That is about the only place for one.

I very seldom use meds, I drink a lot of juice, take some sleeping pills, put on socks, sweat pants, sweat shirt and stack on the blankets and sweat things out like that. The sleeping pills keep me out from kicking off the blankets and waking up. Might give that a try. I could tell talking to you that it was giving you a rough time. Hope you get to feeling well soon.

Thanks Tylersrig... I keep thinking things will free up here and I can get some things done. Seems like everything else comes along and only so much time in the day. I am really happy with how the trucks have turned out considering with what I started with. I could of bought nice trucks but I can make them how I want. I still have a ways to go with where I want these trucks to be. My 85 is going to be my nice daily driver and my runner is going to be a mall crawler. It is the one I want to be something else. I was just telling Misty she better get a move on her runner as 3-5 years from now she is going to want to drive mine all of the time. Nope!! just some times, lol. I will be concentrating on my 85 and then need to do a motor for hers but after that my little runner is back on. I really do enjoy driving something that I have built basically from the ground up and know every square inch on them.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:34 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I thought I was going to need to change the front seal on the tcase and got to looking under there and it seemed fine. I did need to tighten some bolts on the tcase as they were loose. I ran it to the carwash and used the high pressure spray to clean off the oil build up. That is some great rust preventive treatment. I need to patent that, lol. I gave it a good cleaning and then took it to lube service to top off the fluids.

One was over filled and the rest was normal level. It was nearly 100 degrees and I figured that would make any oil leaks expand and took it for a long drive. So far I haven't found any leaks.

Wish I had a pit or a lift. Makes doing things like this so much easier. What took them 5 minutes would took me 30 minutes. A friend of mine has a lift and what a difference it makes.
Name:  IMG_20140822_120823_zpsoeeelwzy.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  302.5 KB
Old 08-23-2014, 12:39 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I should be getting another engine soon. Both of these motors are junk, but I like to keep one around to have as a reference and I keep the nuts and bolts in them so when I need one I don't have to guess around. Then later I will replace it for the next time. I am combining these two motors into one. I need to free up an engine stand for later. I tried to soak the motor on the left and tried to free the cylinders up. Even with the head off, it wont budge. Lots of yucky stuff inside. Not sure what happed to this motor.
I think the head might be usable and a few other parts but that is about it. Curious to see what the bottom end looks like. The heat ran me out too soon to find out. We got toasty today.
Name:  IMG_20140822_145003_zpsupxbiuuj.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  366.1 KB
Old 08-23-2014, 12:50 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Not sure what is up with Photobucket. It is showing good in PB, I may need to take another picture above if it doesn't straighten out. I will wait and see if it fixes it self.

I was looking in https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f174/ Expedition Thread and found some Off Road Gourmets. One I tried was where you boil an omelette in a freezer bag. I thought I would try it just to see if it works. It turned out better then when I use a regular skillet. I guess there is a chance of the plastics releasing some chemical but anymore nowadays anything and everything is bad for you so I took the chance. It was surprisingly great.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:00 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrys87
This clip can be a bear to get in sometimes.
i have 3 spare t/c levers that still have that clip on them.

I use a pair of needle nose on them to drop into the retainer

and in your other post at first I thought I read Off Road Grommits was thinking cool I need a source...then realized it was gourmet..
darn it

Last edited by dropzone; 08-23-2014 at 01:01 AM.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just replaced the shift seal and shaft retainer on a l52 5spd,had a heck of a time getting it back together!!but shifts tight and smooth now.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:35 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I've had tons of headaches from that little retaining clip. But it's so nice when it's all fresh and back together
Old 08-25-2014, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello dropzone..Got a laugh out of the grommet/gourmet. I had a member asking about Expedition thread and I told him we had one. I got to going thru it and have tried some different things on it. Really like it. My long term goal is to get both of my first gens for camping in them.

Been tossing some things in my head about the Expedition Threads to get them more active. Eventually will mention it on a Staff thread.

Hello kornhuskerwizard... Luckily this time it didn't keep popping out of my c clip pliers and go flying everywhere. Done that a time or two.

Hello Gizzler00...I have done it a million times and that day just felt like I was doing it for the first time. A friend of mine says the same thing.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:06 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I got a new AFM for my 85. I just move parts from one truck to another. My 86 Runner I used a newer AFM air box and it had the port for the PAIR system. I just plugged it up with a bolt until I come across the correct air box. Now all my trucks have the correct air box on them. Just didn't like the redneck engineering I had to do with the newer style but I used what I had at the time.

I have worked on several trucks and I think only one has ever had the entire fuel system working right. I mention it on each of my builds and is usually one of the first things I start working on when doing a project. I went thru the entire fuel system on my runner and it had clogged lines and everything as usual for a project.

I put 350 miles a week just for work and that isn't counting all of the other running around on every day life, so it isn't like my fuel has time to get old. I really think it is the poor quality gas that we get now a days. I was driving the other day and got a whiff of raw fuel and started looking for fuel leaks and didn't find any. I don't want a BBQ on wheels. So started looking up what else could cause fuel odors and was pointed to the fuel canister. I had went thru it to when I started on this build. This time the rubber line was clogged and some clog in the canister. Got it all free flowing again.

I have seen trucks that were well cared for have clogging issues. I think some of it is the humidity in my area but still most is from the poor fuel we get. Usually when some one has a fuel tank issue on the home page and they get to looking into it, they have a bad situation on their hands.

It could be just the canister is 28 years old but think it is more from the poor fuel.
Name:  IMG_20140826_013701_zpstaa4vwuc.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  189.0 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 08-25-2014 at 11:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance