Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 11:54 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Clean'ness! lol. Looks good!
Old 03-10-2012, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrys87

Hello RMP8080.. I want to sometime down the road look into a diesel conversion. You think the VW diesel would be powerful enough for a 4Runner? I will check out a Mercedes. Still looking into it. I dont know much about diesel as far as working on them. Have driven plenty of them. It is way down the road from now when I get this truck looking and running good. Fuel is only going to go up and I am far more intrested in a horse and buggy over an electric car. Diesels just do better in mileage. I will want as much mechanical and non turbo and basic as possible.
Terry, me too on the diesel swap, just think with the 1.9 vw tdi, you can run used veg oil, and smell like a Chinese food or McDs as you drive. When I get the VW working I want to do the veg oil thing. I got family in the restaurant business so I can get in for free.....
Old 03-11-2012, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Hello Chef.. Thanks, It was really bad when I got it. My mouse friend and a PO was not the greatest and then setting in the weather without a backhatch didnt help any.

Hello RMP8080..I was talking to Jason last nite and it is a long ways off, but I know the 4 cylinder diesels do real good on mileage. They say the veggie oil is actually better quality then diesel and if it smells like French Fries, that would be fine with me. I have eaten my fair share and still more to go.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I got my backhatch on. It is official, putting it on by your self is a pain the rear.
I replaced my backgalss once but the track was worn so I put another in that has a good track. I wire brushed it and greased it up for smoother operation and to stop rust.

I will be adding this to my 88 build at a later time. I still have some trouble shooting and parts to replace. I will be taking the wifes cover off and see what is not hooked up and get things straigntened out. This is the condition I recieved my entire hatch on the 88 and it had the glass broken out. The PO just pulled the plug out and now I have to find out which wire goes into which slot of the plug below. The following is what I will post on the 88 build and combine some other picture also.

Using a battery and connect some wire to the leads off of the motor. You can control the direction of the window by switching polarity.

Bring the window levers to the flat position using the battery. Loosen the screw that hold the motor assembly and slide the window half way into the hatch then slide the whole assembly to engage the rollers into the track and bolt the assembly into the hatch again.

Working the whole assembly back and forth to engage rollers and tracks. I then greased tracks and rollers for smoother operation and rust prevention.

I will be updating this post as I discover more. Here is the plug. The motor plug has a red and a greeen wire. The plug it attaches to is blue with a yellow stripe an blu with a black strpe. I have to find which is which. I did not see the plug connection colors in my Haynes manual. When I look at the 88s tailgate. I will post it also. Alot of missing parts and plugs with no connections to go to as of now.

UPDATE: I was able to match the plug to wire spot from my 88s post. I will open the 88s backhatch cover and verify in the next couple of days.

At least it is on and I can always run a wire to the cigarette lighter a ground to run the window. Just to give an idea of how dirty the top is, I washed one sunvisor and not the other, BIG difference. I am just about done with the interior until I get new stuff. It isnt bad at all right now. Really made a difference on the whole interior overall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PSau...eature=related

Last edited by Terrys87; 04-19-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Doesnt look like much but this picture is for a reference for a later time. The latching mechanism is a Chinese puzzle. It looks as if I am missing some electrical cable.

Where my pointer finger is I had to bend the tab to get it to lock into place. I messed with it for an hour alone trying to get it this to lock in. Not the way I would like to do things but it is now hooked up.

I got the tailgate handle in, but am trying to figure out how to it engage the cables. It may be in the locked position but havent figured out what engages what to operate.

Wasnt a complete loss of time today. Found one new and one used front bumper caps. I will be using my old bent bumper for the time being and will replace it later on. It isnt bad will help the front end out instead of a big bare spot. Actually spending alot of time just getting the proper nuts and bolts back into their spot. Some of this is my fault as I used parts off of it when it was a parts truck. Paying for it now. But I was glad I took the time to take the parts off right when I did.

Mostly a reference for me.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:54 PM

Brotha? >>>> that looked like brain surgery to me right there! lol. Congratz, it is really cleaning up/restoring nicely
Old 03-12-2012, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Chef.. I feel confident when something is broken or not working on the hatch, but the PO had no idea of what he was doing when he tore this hatch apart. I am trying to figure out what it needs or is missing. Luckily I have the 88 to look at.

Getting all of the mechanisims back together again and operating properly is starting to worry me. I figure if worse case scenario, I would put a truck latch assembly in and operate the window with a 2 position switch. All I need is the motor and gear mechanisim to get it to work and I have that. Would just need to roll the window down and operate the latch, basically that is what you are doing on a runner anyways, but with alot of safety devices on it. I am not letting it whip me just yet.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Today was a bust. I messed with the backhatch for awhile and thought I would take a break form it. I will be pulling the glass out AGAIN to make it easier to get the window working. I get the head from the machine shop Friday. I am hoping to have it running by next week sometime if all goes well.

I would like to give a big thumbs up to Joplin 4 State Machine shop. They have always done great work for me and do more then what is expected. He fixed a few other problems for me that I was unaware of. I know not everybody gets the same results at their machine shop but in this area hope this helps someone.

I wanted a change and since the possibilty of getting this running next week exist, I needed to get to working on the fuel tank. I would like to eventually get a new fuel tank, but since that isnt in the budget for awhile, this one will do. It had some holes on the top and I patched them up. The inside of the tank was the cleanest I have ever seen. It may or may not work out. Will have to wait and see.

I cannot find the screws that hold the fuel pump in and that is holding me up from getting it put in at this time. Just seems like the hatch and tank just didnt go like I had planned. Next week holds some good possibilities.

I seal each tank with Red Kote just for good preventive measure.

Last edited by Terrys87; 01-20-2016 at 02:09 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:46 AM

Looking good Terry. I'm impressed with the progress your making on it. Jut spent some time getting caught up on your build. Can't wait for thins to settle down and get back on mine. Later
Old 03-13-2012, 08:07 AM

Gas tank looks good on the outside, tail gate is hell to work on, need those small hands
Old 03-13-2012, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Tinman...I have a been putting alot of effort into it. I have tomorrow and the next day off and weather has been great so hope I will get alot done tomorrow. I figure you are still in the moving process. Just think on the positive side, This is the last time.

Thanks RMP8080..I have been getting my butt kicked on the last 3 things I have been trying. Rear window is being difficult. I plan on tying into it again tomorrow. Gas tank screws just cant be found, no matter how hard I look and I have a ton of screws and bolts and then I am trying to get my SR5 guages set right. I have swapped 5 guages and the last 3 I have gotten are from a 3.0, I will try these things again tomorrow.

RMP8080..I will need to replace my fenders on my runner as alot of the mounting tabs are rusted. I found some on the net that seem to reasonably priced. I got to find where I stored the info and will post here. Seen you saying you were going to replace yours too. I will post it later on and let you know just incase you might be intrested.

Last edited by Terrys87; 03-13-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Like I said things have hit a snag but I do have somethings going for me. I was helping someone on the home page about a dome light. Mine wasnt working as I needed a door switch, this started me on the hunt for that switch knowing I had 2 spares. Found it and got it in and replaced a bulb. While having the battery hooked up I tested my AC button and it lit up. Feeling really good about my wiring harness experience. Found alot of other parts too. Some I had bought at the bone yard and I had them in the shed.Urghhh.

Found some heater control buttons, went to put them on and checked my truck project to see if it needed any. It had some on it and they have the chrome stripe instead of the white stripe. I swapped them. Added a little touch to it, I think.

Some other parts I found, one being a spare maplight that I am going to stick in my 88, but need to get it repaired and working. Will have a map light in both runners. I am planning on using the wire harness out of an SR5 that I got at in a boneyard in Kansas City.

The SR5s have a maplight and rear overhead light. I plan on wiring it and will have 3 lights. Map,Overhead and Mirror light. I take a standard cab light and add it to an extended cab or 4Runner and it is really useful. Most boneyard have standard cabs and most will be missing or broken. If I have to use a broken one, I just move the guts from a broken to a dummy plug. I did this as a spare for the 88, but now I will move the red spare to my white dummy for a mirror.

When somethings arent going right. I just break out the paint. It usually cant go wrong for me. I have got the drivers side cleaned an painted and most of the passenger side cleaned. Still need to get behind the axle. ALOT of time on getting the frame to this stage.

Last edited by Terrys87; 11-28-2013 at 02:51 AM.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:20 PM

Dangggggggggga! lol... WTH man? you're making me feel so lacking in my progress! hahahaha. Seriously, Congratz on the good work... I was just messin, lol... Mostly, hehee.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:42 PM

Lot of nice work here terry. And the tailgate mechanism has always seemed more complicated than necessary. Safety catch here, latch there, etc. Good idea greasing the window tracks. I've had two tailgates that have had a track rot out. Cheers!
Old 03-13-2012, 10:28 PM

Impressive build! I just finished reading it and am subscribing! Its neat to see a fellow Missourian here!
Old 03-14-2012, 02:42 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Chef...I have been running into a wall on every project that I seem to be touching so when that happens, I step back from it and do something that I can make some sort of accomplishment on. I have been doing the frame for quite sometime. Still alot to go. One reason for the jumping around on differnent things.

Another reason is the wife doctor bills are coming in and so I made this a No Spend week and there are always small task to be found. Some are cheap and easy. There is always something, just got to look for it. I was listening to Blairgarner.com, a late nite show and he was talking about a No Spend Day.

Also I DVR the carshows on the weekends and watch them at a later time and on Gears with Stacey David, he is doing a Bronco for Ted Nugent, and he was doing the interior paint, using the same things I use, only he was using a different cleaner.

I figure between the radio show and car shows, I am ahead of my time. Day or two, not years.lol

Thanks Ductchbelly..I have been checking in on your thread. I tried to get some good pics to put on your thread for the vacuum hoses as I have an 88 also. I have the next few days off and will get some pics. If there are any particular ones you need, let me know. The 88s seem to be the odd ball on injectors and seems like something else I cant recall.

Hello Powerstrokejoe...Thanks for the compliment. I try to show that these builds can be done on the cheap without breaking the bank and with time and patience, it can be done. Just got to keep moving on some sort of little project.

I need to check in on the diesel threads. I get my blinders on and you guys got some great builds going on over there. There are many Missourians on Yotatech and fewer from my part of the state. I was in Sedalia about 6 months ago. I really notice the 79-02 trucks. Always like seeing what everybody else is building.

I might have to pick your experience on which diesel to go with someday. I really like the 22re, but one disappointment I have with it is fuel mileage on the 4WDs. I am really considering after getting this truck done, to start looking for a donor diesel car. I drive diesels alot, but not in the 4 cylinders. I use mine for alot of towing, but want the better mileage that diesels get.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:56 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I have been doing some small things. One I wanted to show others that may have missed it on my 88 build and one that I want to be abe to look back on when this truck is done is the mirrir upgrade. I was going to move the contacts from the red mount to the gray/white mount. I used brass screws to hold it down but forgot that I also glued the back side down also. I will get some interior paint to change colors later on.

This is a cheap fix. IFFF you can find a good one in the boneyard, they want a high price sometimes. Another way I get it is to get a broken one and the parts guy generally just gives a funny look and can get it cheap. Same for the dummy plugs. The dummy plugs have all of the holes in it. Just drill out the rivets.

Thought I would post a pic of my mug. You are probably thinking you seen my pic in the Post Office.

I am practicing on my flatbeds SR5 guage before trying to correct the mileage on my 86s guage and the tachometer on my wifes truck guages. The tachometer is easy when using a 3.0s guages. Just remove the screws that hold it to the cluster and you can get to the adjustments on it.

One thing I noticed is that one SR5 guage is 85mph and one is 110 mph. The 110 is for my flatbed and works great. I am not sure if my new one is going to work as it is from an 88 and I got it for my 86.

Last edited by Terrys87; 12-17-2015 at 06:20 AM.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:51 AM

Hey, mista, mista, lol.......

Seriously, what's going on with that mirror thing? I read it on the run... so forgive me,... but that's a power door mirror? My driver side is FLOPPY! lol. I've slowed down the flop by wedging stuff in there, etc., .......but it just falls out at the worst time! lol. Everything works in my mirrors, electrically. ............ Ok, now, tell me how you're talking about the rear view so I can laugh at myself hahahaha.

JK, have a good one, Terry.... Trippy, never would have 'guessed' on your 'Face'....... We all think the voice or 'manner' 'fits' with something, ya know? How often does that work out? hahahahah. Look like a normal dude to me, man..... you saying you look 'POSTAL' ??????? hahahaha.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hey Chef..Its actually a rear view mirror. I was showing the mirror mounts that are used on the extended cabs and 4Runners. They have the same cutouts that the standard cabs have, just missing the electrical wire runs. I am hoping I can make that wire that has the two connectors work on the map light and standard cab light. I do alot of nite driving and it really helps.

I know a voice doesnt match a face. I just thought I would put one up of my face. My pictures look like I should be on the run or hoping I dont show up on Americas Most Wanted. lol..Nothing to worry here. Just some speeding tickets.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I got the speedometer set for my flatbed , but my truck isnt wired for a tach. I have run the wire to a certain screw that actvates the tach. Still not acurate. I will need to redo that part.

Also noticed my factory orginal speedo goes to 110mph, my replacement only goes to 85mph. So I am wondering if it will work.

I got my gastank in and believe I have it repaired well and it will work. One thing I have a question on is my truck has a 2 inch body lift. When you do the lift, do you have to replace the filler neck hose?? If so, is it possible to get the hose at a parts store?

Last year about this time when I did the 88 it was cold and I was laying on a piece of cardboard all bundled up. This year it is 80 degress and I have a concrete floor and some padding. Sooo much nicer.

It is in. Do you need to replace a filler neck hose when you have a body lift? It isnt looking like it will reach.

Quick Reply: Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance