86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 01:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
About your heat in your garage,I used two 55gal drums and made a barrel stove.it works great,just added a ceiling fan to help circulate the heat.also I used some firebrick in the bottom and a big metal grate so the heat won't burn out the bottom of the barrel. U just get a kit that has legs and a door,simple and not expensive,and can kick out alota heat.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
we used an old water pressure accumulation tank (taller than a 55 gal drum thicker metal )added door an through pipes to catch heat right off the flames then put a fan blowing right through the pipes
Old 08-07-2014, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
we used an old water pressure accumulation tank (taller than a 55 gal drum thicker metal )added door an through pipes to catch heat right off the flames then put a fan blowing right through the pipes
Nice!!!I know Terry can build a better stove for the Monet than he could buy one.some of the crap they sell these days is worthless.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by kornhuskerwizard
Nice!!!I know Terry can build a better stove for the Monet than he could buy one.some of the crap they sell these days is worthless.
ill have to take a picture of it

sad but also funny kris my friend put his acquired leaky room roll around ac unit (read customer shoved it at him) back there come this spring found out the temps had melted the entire side of it stuck it to the floor glad he really didnt want the ac unit made a mess
Old 08-08-2014, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Hello Richard.. Glad to see you back at it. I know how school goes. It takes up any free time you may have and then some. I got to be a Moderator about a month ago. I enjoy it. Get to see what at it takes to keep the site running. Still learning on what all needs to be done but enjoying it and trying to make Yotatech the great site that it is.

Hello kornhuskerwizard.. I seen that kit. You seem to like it real well and I was wondering about it. Thanks for mentioning it. I have seen stoves like that and they do kick out the heat. Wood heat does such a better job of heating and stays in the air longer. Plus I feel it is a lot more efficient. Something I am going to look into.

Hello Cyberhorn.. I would like to see a picture of it. I defintely want wood heat and for the junk they are selling out there I know I could build something better and cheaper. I have use those Magic Heats in the past. They are a blower box that mounts on the stove pipe and captures more heat. They get toasty.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I got the fuel pump changed yesterday. Then a friend of mine who has been working on these trucks for 30 years came over to help me and we spent a good 7 hours going thru everything I had done and seeing if there was anything I had over looked. We really didnt find anything. A suggestion he did make and I did today was to swap out the Injector harness with the one that came with the parts truck that the entire harness came out of.

I had a perfect harness out of an 86 that I found in the yard and even Toyota mangaged to change a few things in them. Probably minor, so I put the harness that came from the parts truck back in it. Toyota changed a few wiring colors and should be the same but wanted to eleminate that as a possibility. Truck runs great and no codes until you jumper the test port. Then I get a code 11 again.

I still need to get the bed bolted back down and run it to the mechanic and see if he as any other suggestions.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

One thing I made, and it is not pretty but does the job was to build a cart to keep from chasing tools all over the place. I was always sitting them on the valve cover or someplace like that and then knocking them to the ground or forgetting where I put them. Now I make it a point to put each tool or part on the cart when not using it and it has taken alot of frustration out of chasing tools.

Will work until I can find a cart that I like. Seen some just not what I want. Might should of made it a little bigger but already making things a little easier.
Name:  IMG_20140808_135451_zps4syuj7gm.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  358.0 KB
Old 08-08-2014, 02:05 PM

lol i need one of them carts im always putting a couple drywall saw horses (aluminum) around where im working to catch tools LOL

heres a front an back of the shop heater terry it was like a 1940's 50's water heater tank electric heater bands around the thing to heat water we took that off of course

Last edited by Cyberhorn The Dragon; 08-08-2014 at 02:37 PM.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:09 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Sooooooo freaking gNar-far behind! But then you make that easy to be! Lol.... GREAT STUFF! gear - far I need a cart and WELDER to put on it! Lol
Old 08-09-2014, 06:43 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
sweet cart terry. i want to make one similar with a lower shelf and casters so it can roll around. surface area like 2ft x 2ft.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that is a sweet idea for heater
Old 08-10-2014, 06:04 AM

That heater is slick Cyber horn!!!
Old 08-10-2014, 07:14 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
That is a pretty genius way to reuse an old water heater.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:52 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Cyberhorn... Those tubes are similar to a Magic Heat box and they do kick out the heat. That is a great idea.

Hello Mark...Seen you have been busy for awhile. I know how that goes. Wife and kids are going back to school soon so that should help free up some of my time and I have plenty that I want to do. Hopefully I can make some progress here shortly.

Thanks Kelvin... It works and is already saving me a ton of headaches looking for tools and having them getting bumped off and chasing them thru out the truck. Even knowing all of the hiding spots that the tools fall into, it still makes it frustrating digging them out.

Hello julsruls...I have been checking out your thread. Making me want to get my 85 going. Hoping soon.

Hello kornhuskerwizard...That heater is better built then what a new one from any major store sells today. Just mentioned it on Junks thread about todays quality of things they sell.

Hello Gizzler00... Even as hot as it has been, I am already of thinking ahead of time for heat. It will be here before you know it. Not going to be like last year. I kept the heater warm instead of it keeping me warm.lol
Old 08-11-2014, 02:01 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

A friend and me are still trying to figure out Code 11 on the 86 pickup. Truck runs great but still cant get the code figured out. No code until we put the jumper in. We did try swapping some parts off of my 85, just trying to think outside the box a little bit hoping we would stumble into something. I tried my AFM off of the 85 on to it and it did not like it at all. At least I found a problem that I am going to have to deal with on the 85. I am going to see if the AFM can be cleaned, adjusted or something. Never had to mess with one of those and am curious as to what could be the matter with it. May need to just replace it but I want to see if there is anything I can do with it before tossing it.

I did go pick up a radiant heater I have had in the works for awhile. Mostly got it to use when painting. It is 8 foot long and 240 volts. Not sure what it will cost to operate, so will probably just be used when painting. I also have another torpedo heater. I am working on wood heat. Wood heat is just so much better. Also got a gallon of white paint for the shop. Biggest reason I want to paint the shop white is to help with lighting. Even when under a project in the day time it can be dark under one.

Thinking of winter even though I am still sweating my rear off now.lol
Name:  IMG_20140811_014245_zpsuxk8fer4.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  225.0 KB
Old 08-11-2014, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by julsruls
that is a sweet idea for heater
gets uber hot too notice the roll around ac unit behind it..its melted got too close last winter

Originally Posted by kornhuskerwizard
That heater is slick Cyber horn!!!
an since the old milking shed turned shop is not insulated it gets used in winter here in idaho

Originally Posted by Gizler00
That is a pretty genius way to reuse an old water heater.
it was a PAIN to haul out of the basement of the house ill tell ya HEAVY!

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Hello Cyberhorn... Those tubes are similar to a Magic Heat box and they do kick out the
heat. That is a great idea.
yep thats where we got the idea for them they get cherry to orange hot inside some times an all that heat right into the shop it uses wood a bit faster than the house stove but its got a heck of a draft once going ive seen dust flowing towards it
Old 08-11-2014, 02:24 AM

terry that baseboard heater is gona kill your electric bill it will work but WOW they crank the bill up we have a 2ft one in the well house to keep the pump an pipes pressure switch from freezing an its costly we've disconnected the remaining ones in the house
Old 08-11-2014, 02:32 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Ouch!!! That is what I was wondering. I am still going to get a wood heater and this one will only get used when painting. Electric here is high as it is already so will only get used on those painting days. Just the way paint fumes get, I make sure there is no flames anywhere when painting. Paint fumes and flames petrify me.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:50 PM

Getting prepared for old man winter!!!I love it!!!
Old 08-14-2014, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello kornhuskerwizard...I am not getting trapped inside the house this winter. I about had cabin fever last year. I planned to be ready this winter and it is working out. I think I have a great stove on the way. I probably could set it outside and run the heat inside. Still debating that one. I will need to build a concrete pad out next to the shop. Hope to go pick it up in the next couple of weeks as soon as we can get our schedules together. Yahoo!!!

Quick Reply: Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance