86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 03:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i kinda hope its something really head smacking obvious (why didnt we think of that) not a i dont know from your mechanic good luck with the dentist
Old 07-15-2014, 12:36 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Thanks Cyberhorn...I am just getting a scan so they can get an idea of what is wrong with why my tooth wont heal. So ready to get that started and over with. I was doing some more searching and 4crawler has some other suggestions that could cause a Code 11. I will check into the neutral safety switch. At least it will be a new area to look into. Along with the AC Amplifier. Not sure what it is, but if it is in the AC Condenser Box, I have a spare one of those and can give that a try.

SWITCH SIGNALS

IDL (tps) CONTACTS OFF, NEUTRAL START SWITCH OFF, A/C SWITCH "ON" SIGNAL TO ECU

WITH DIAGNOSTIC CHECK CONNECTOR SHORTED

--A/C SWITCH/CIRCUIT

--A/C AMPLIFIER

--TPS/CIRCUIT

--NEUTRAL START SWITCH/CIRCUIT
--ECU
Old 07-15-2014, 01:04 AM

well i made a bit of progress to mine sure enough my low beam powers the fog lights only works woot

so started on putting air box back on an then doing the waterproof connectors to the fogs modern things all little silicone rubber seals locking bits to keep pins in first one took awhile but once ya get the gist of how they go whoosh

picked up a K&N air filter for my rig offa ebay New old stock the box looks like its from 1988 LOL 50+ from K&N got mine for 18 want the link terry? they got one more of um got the price at 20 but they had the make an offer thing on it
Old 07-15-2014, 03:43 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I will take the link. A guy I work with showed me that he uses a marine grade shrink wrap. What it does when it shrinks, as I understand it, it has a sealant to help make it more water proof then the standard shrink wrap. I didn't know it exist and he says it is easily available.

Eventually I would like to do the fog light on low beam like you just did. That would be great. This past winter I was wishing I had fog lights. I am eventually going to add some more reverse lights as well or at least a switch that I can use to add more light to the back when needed. I am always pulling a trailer of some sort and at night it would be nice to have, especially when hooking or unhooking.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:31 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Cyberhorn.. . I got the link in the PM. On the electrolysis tank, I want to put it outside on the back side of my shop and wonder with my shop being metal if it would have any chemical reaction to my shop and cause any rust issues. It would be easier to change out the water and free up some floor space. I have been using it a lot and you should of seen all of the rust and junk laying in the bottom of the tub when I changed it out. I wish I would of gotten a picture of it before I cleaned it out. I want to run the wire thru the wall with the power supply sitting inside but the tank outside. It makes cleaning things a lot easier.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:35 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I checked the Neutral Safety Switch and that must be for the automatics, Doh!! Standards have the Clutch Safety Switch and the Clutch Cancel Switch which both work on this truck. Then I tried swapping out the whole condenser hoping the replacement would fix it as the AC Amplifier is built into it. Nothing changed so really don't know where to go from here or what to check next. I will be out of town for a few days and hope to get it to the mechanic on Friday if all goes well. Hoping he has some ideas of what it could be for the Code 11. I am thinking it is a soft code as it does not trip off the Check Engine Light when it is not jumpered. Would like to know what it is setting off the CEL in test mode. Running out of ideas.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:46 AM

no the building wont be effected unless your putting the shop in the bath with power leads to it..LOL heck someone cooked an entire 42 ford body shell im sure if you put your mind to it a building could be done
Old 07-20-2014, 01:50 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Cyberhorn... I could only imagine all of the stuff that was laying at the bottom of that tank. Mine had quite a bit of gunk in it when I changed it out. I will be sitting mine back up outside here soon and start cleaning a lot of parts with it soon. Cleaning is a time killer and that does speed up a lot of progress.
Old 07-20-2014, 01:57 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I was out of town for the past few days and got back and took the 86 to a mechanics place. He seems confident that he can find the problem. I told him what all I have done. I hope it isn't something that is easily over looked but I gave it my best shot and have run out of ideas of where to look next. If he finds it, it will be interesting to see what it is.

Last Saturday I finally got electric in the shop. I was running on extention cords and getting the shop cleaned out and ready for the electricians was a job in itself. I about got things back to normal in there and getting insulation and electric is what kept me from not being able to work out there last summer and this past winter because of the temperature. Really hoping it makes a difference on what all I can get accomplished here soon. Seems like it has been slow steps but guess it forward moving so am happy with what has been getting done lately.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:11 AM

woot on the electric in the shop

if he finds it an its something easy thats gona go top of my check it list as one of the annoying ones that'll get ya

they used a couple chain hoists to pull the body out of the soup an thumped it with a big rubber mallet rust bits showered off but body looked great! hosed it off an got it misted with oil
Old 07-22-2014, 08:13 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Having electric in the shop is huge. I hate having to run cords all over the place for light/power. I usually end up tripping breakers.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:32 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Cyberhorn.. Electric in the shop is great!!! Last summer and this past winter I wasnt able to get anything done due to temperture. I have a wall mounted heater on the way and will soon be working on air conditioning. I eventually will have my shop set up for doing major restorations. One reason I want to have a lift assembly for bodies. (That sounds Freddy Kruegerish, lol) Thanks for the suggestion on the fuel regulator as well.

Hello Gizzler00.. That power cords is for the birds. I tripped the breaker a few times as well with that set up. I will send you a PM but I will be home and dont have any future travel plans right now.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:45 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I talked to the mechanic that I took the 86 truck to and he has a way of running test that apparently most would not have the equipment to do it with. He is well aware of the TE/E1 jumper trick, but his test comes up with "Lean Fuel Trim" which I asked what that is and his computer says it can be the fuel pump being weak. Truck runs great so was doubtful. Talking to Cyberhorn, he helped explain several things to me and also mentioned it could be the fuel regulator as well.

I have had to take a 91 truck to him one time in the past and he said it was a vacuum issue. I doubted him then and after lots of looking it was a vacuum line. I really am hoping this is the issue. His test are showing a Code 13. I get an 11.

Talking to Cyberhorn and with his issue, as long as these trucks have been around and the numerous sites that have Toyotas on them, seems like every problem would be documented somewhere. I have hours spent looking for information on this issue and Cyberhorn has hours looking for his as well and we both couldnt find the answer for either of our problems. I found one little blurb on my injector issue on my runner and is how I learned it so well. A tough problems makes for a good learning experience when figured out.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:43 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Interesting. I would have never thought that it could be a weak pump with your current issue. It makes sense how they could be the potential problem.

I too like having another opinion on a particular issue. And it's interesting to see another persons take on what you think might be going on.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:20 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Gizzler00... I am still interested if it is the fuel pump. He does have a better way of checking then I do. I have thought about it and cant see anything I may have missed in the TPS circuit with 2 different Injector Harnesses, 5 different TPS, 3 AC switches and 3 different computers. I am hoping that this is the issue. Will find out here soon. It is one of the toughest problems I have run into on these. TPS have me a little nervous now when they come up. If it is something like a weak fuel pump, I wont be so concerned over a TPS issue the next time. I will say I have never experienced a TPS problem as they are rock solid from my experience.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:28 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Misty was out Thursday and the mechanic was gone Friday so wasn't able to get the truck home. Hoping to get it home in the next few days if all goes well.

I took a few days off from work just to take care of several things and the list is now down to 400 things instead of 500 things to do. Was happy with what I got accomplished but would of liked to gotten more done. The heat didn't help any and I got used to just being drenched in sweat. My clothes were soaked each time I was out working on something.

My 86 was in the shop for the first time in a long time. Cant remember when I had it in the shop. I was using it for guidance on getting my 85 all hooked up to the way it should of been. I could not find where one of the green plugs was at on my 85 and used the runner to help find it. It had slipped underneath the air box.

I did get the 85 running on gas from the fuel tank and it will start now on its own. With just the exhaust manifold on, it is loud and still not running right, but I feel I need to work on the timing, and vacuum leaks that I know I don't have correct.

Here is the 86 helping on the 85. First time it has been in the shop in who knows how long. The passenger seat cable did break on me or needs adjusting when I pulled it in the shop so will need to look into that. Another of one of those several steps forward and one small step back. Not sure what happened. Just hoping the cable didn't break.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:48 AM

shes on her own fuel WOOHOO thats great news terry
Old 08-07-2014, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Cyberhorn... It was great to hear it run on its own fuel. That was a big problem solved. Shouldnt be much longer til things start moving on it again.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Been tied up at the hospital and got some time to work on the 86. What I have gotten accomplished so far.

I installed a new fuel pump and that did not fix the 86 truck problem. I am now going to replace the Fuel Pressure Regulator but dont have high hopes of that fixing it. It might and it would be nice if it did. I will replace the regulator and see what that does. If that doesnt fix it, i am also going to post another TPS thread on the main page and see what I get for some information on it. There are a thousand threads on it, but I have gone thru everything I know of and maybe I will get a response on it that might get me to the right area.

Here is the new pump I got. Some do not come with the rubber spacer on the bottom of the pump. This is something you want to make sure to get as I have seen some be really mushy. Also make sure that when you order a pump it comes with the filter on the end of it as well. Those usually need to be replaced as well.
Name:  IMG_20140807_103124_zpstioe63ry.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  258.6 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 08-07-2014 at 08:32 AM.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi Terry. I see you're still going at it with your trucks. thats always good to see. Also see your name is now RED, when did you become a yotatech staff member? Aside from the hospital how have you been? Been too many months since ive been on here. I finally did a huge thread update to my build page. hoping to be on here a little more often.

Quick Reply: Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance