86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 05:25 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry to hear that you are still having issues with the TPS. Sometimes the measurements change on me when I try to tighten one of the screws after I'm all done. Maybe it is moving just enough under the tightening to throw it out of spec.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:02 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Thanks Gizzler00... I have spent the last two days starting from the very beginning as if it was a new problem. Pretty much went in circles and I checked everything step by step. I did find that the Stop screw was not making contact like it should be. It should have zero gap and it has some. It is a small gap and something that could be overlooked. I am hoping this might be the problem, but not sure how to go about correcting it as the butterfly seems to be in the correct location and the manuals say do not adjust unless absolutely necessary.

I asked two other guys and it was over their heads so will try some professional mechanics tomorrow if all goes well. I do have a friend that has a parts runner and I want to see if I can try the TPS off of it. I checked another Throttle body that I have and it has a slight gap. I am sure these have not been messed with in the past as I know not to mess with the TPS. Hoping tomorrow has better news in some sort of way.

Here is the gap I am talking about. TPS are something else to mess with, whew!!!
Old 07-08-2014, 06:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ive posted alota info that ive done on the tps as you have Terry, i went through all the same problems youve encountered and to this day on my 89runner its still not right,but i have no CEL.It runs rich and is not responsive as it should be. Ive replaced the tps with a nippendenso, afm, still no luck.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello kornhuskerwizard... TPS are something else. I have an appointment with a local mechanic next week to see what he can find. He seems confident that he can find it. I told him what all I have done and let him know that it most likely isnt going to be a quick or easy fix like I may have forgot to hook something up. I have tore it apart and checked everything again and still cant find any thing. I got a whoel Throttle Body Assembly that has a good TPS on it and no problems and that didnt fix it.

I even went thru the AC system as it is a possiblity and cant find anything there as well and tried several different switches. I just dont know where to go from here. Been to several sites including Celicas sites with same issue and nothing new there.

On your rich condition, is an injector stuck open? Even the Cold Start Injector stuck open? I have two bad spare injectors and one is bad because it is stuck open. I use a syringe and hose and with some pressure and a 9 volt battery can run some test. I am sure I have a set of 89 injectors and a CSI if you want to try them out and see if that could be your issue. If you want to try them let me know as they have been sitting awhile and I will check them out this weekend to make sure they are good. They were good, just have been sitting a long time.

The way the CSI is set up, with the banjo fitting, I dont know how you could test it. I think I have a few of those, one should be good.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:25 PM

Well my injectors were tested and flowed by injectorrx and testes great,as far as the csi i dunno. Its weird, no CEL.

BY THE WAY...ANYONE KNOW WHY MARLIN CRAWLER ISNT TAKING CALLS??IVE CALLED OVER 75 TIMES IN LAST 3 DAYS AND IT SAYS DUE TO HIGH CALL VOLUME CALL BACK LATER...VERY FRUSTRATING.

Im curious what your mechanic does to check your tps...keep us updated Terry!
Old 07-09-2014, 03:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Korn i think they have a couple big wild fires down in AZ right now could be one is in their area? i dunno
Old 07-09-2014, 03:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
Korn i think they have a couple big wild fires down in AZ right now could be one is in their area? i dunno
Marlin Crawler is in Fresno, Calif. according to their website.

Last edited by rworegon; 07-09-2014 at 05:55 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by rworegon
Marlin Crawler is in Fresno, Calif. according to their website.
as i said i dont know all ive gotten from them is shifter seats an shift boot seal
Old 07-09-2014, 05:45 PM

Alright.Ill try again tomorrow.sorry Terry, didnt mean to thread jack!
Old 07-11-2014, 04:53 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello kornhuskerwizard... Dont worry about thread jacking, I didnt consider it thread jacking and have probably been guilty myself. I remember when I started on websites and was intimidated on posting on them and I answer questions on mine for others to help them if they are worried.

I plan on being there when he works on it as I want to see if he can find something. Code 7 is TPS as well and Code 11 is TPS and AC. Got me to wondering if I have been chasing the wrong error. Will explain that below.

Not sure what is going on with MC. I hope to buy a tranny from them one day if I ever needed one. Hope they are doing well and not going out of business.

Hello rworegon.. West coast has all of the good stuff.

Hello Cyberhorn.. I will be sending you a PM later. Got a question.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:59 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Code 7 is TPS, Code 11 is TPS and AC. I wonder if I havent been on a wild goose chase. 2 harnesses, 3 ECUs, 3 AC switches, and 5 new/old/used TPS. I have had some bad readings and that could be the way I ran some test. I dont feel real confident in some of the test and I have never had issues with a TPS.

I am wondering if the AC system is somehow causing problems, even though I have swapped switches. The FSM, Haynes, and several sites just say AC Switch, but I am wondering if it has something energized or denenergized that is causing the issue. I haven found any info anywhere to say what to look for so I am going thru the AC circuit and see what cause it to thow a Code. There is no information on the switch other then the switch.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:09 AM

Ac circuit should just run the ac compressor clutch shouldnt it??Weird. I wouldnt think that would have anything to do with your problem unless some wires are crossed or rubbed through the insulation.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by kornhuskerwizard
Ac circuit should just run the ac compressor clutch shouldnt it??Weird. I wouldnt think that would have anything to do with your problem unless some wires are crossed or rubbed through the insulation.
thats what i was thinking possibly a decayed wire like with my oil pressure wire it was rotted in 2 places giving me intermittent oil pressure
Old 07-11-2014, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello kornhuskerwizard... Somehow the AC circuit is involved in Code 11. Still trying to see how it is. Reading schematics is not my strongest point. I know just enought to get myself into trouble.

Hello Cyberhorn.. I am starting to think that somehow it is a wire issue as well. Been tracing wires as best as I can and trying to figure out where they all go. Manuals show wires but not where they are phyiscally at. Wish they would show that as well.grrr..
Old 07-11-2014, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

This is out of the FSM. Top finger is on Code 7 which I am not getting. Bottom finger is Code 11 which is the only Code I am getting. Have been tracing wires and other things but these are out of the FSM. Not sure why pics are sideways. Atleast the info will be out there. I am hoping Photobucket will straighten out later. Sometiems it does at a later time. It is showing correct in PB.
Name:  IMG_20140711_160236_zpselc7j4ia.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  89.4 KB

Actually shows where the switch connector is at on this one. Doesnt always show where they are.
Name:  IMG_20140711_162215_zps1ulgymq1.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  193.0 KB

Here is the test for the switch. Very few times that I use the FSM over Haynes but sure have lately. Even the FSM says it is for advanced users. I must be getting advanced quick.lol. Normally a Haynes will get you thru but having the FSM does come in handy at times.
Name:  IMG_20140711_162159_zpsbqnurdic.jpg
Size:  217.1 KB

Here is the AC Circuit, like my blind butt can see something like that. At the very top of the picture is a realy. I have no idea where it is at. Been looking for it. If you click the picture, it will take you to my PB. I dont see a way of zooming in on it. Was hoping to see it better on the computer screen.
Name:  IMG_20140711_162659_zpsvj1lydsb.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  198.3 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 07-11-2014 at 01:34 PM.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:54 PM

that relay is gona be either out in the engine bay or over near the ECU terry ive heard mine click even without my compressor in the truck (it is now but) but i had the doors open an music playing couldnt tell you 100% where the click came from

dur mines an 88 which changes everything the odd ball year

Last edited by Cyberhorn The Dragon; 07-11-2014 at 01:57 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Cyberhorn...The only relay I can find is the Heater Relay. I swapped it out but can find any test to run on it. Also it doesnt appear to be in the AC circuit if I am correct. Electric is not my strong point.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

The fuse is good. Switch appears to pass test as best as I can tell. I checked all wiring as best as possible. Cant find the Thermsitor. Low Pressure Switch appears to be up under dash and sounds like AC has to be charged to test it.

Any sugggestions on what to check???
Name:  AC1_zpsb3daf63a.jpg
Size:  28.4 KB
Old 07-14-2014, 10:10 AM

the low pressure switch might be the cause but for the life of me terry i dont know maybe the idle up solinoid/switch?
Old 07-14-2014, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Cyberhorn... I have a ton of hours in this and really dont feel I have gained much or learned anything at all on it. In the picture above, I havent even found the Warm up Relay ( if it exist). I was thinking of isolating the AC system from the system and it is above my head. I unplugged the fuse and all connections to the AC and it is still throwing a Code 11. Which makes me think it could be the TPS again, but if you look at the above diagram, there is a lead from the Igniter and from the computer and who knows if I have them seperated and only made the problem worse as far as the computer is concerned. I hooked it back up and still no change. Friday I am taking it to the mechanic and see what he can find. I have tried several things and still stuck. Thanks for looking at this. Any ideas I will try. I have a dentist appointment tomorrow and wont be back til Friday so will check in and see what happens.

Quick Reply: Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance