86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 06:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Terry, I sure would like to know what you find out about the TPS. My idle is way up there all of sudden and I haven't checked to see if that is the problem. My guess that it is and I will need to adjust it or replace it.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Hello kornhuskerwizard... I know I am running the test right and I think the TPS has just been operated several million times and just may be one of those parts you need to replace new.

Hello cyberhorn... I changed the brushes in the alternator and it still failed the regulator test. I priced a new regulator and you can buy a rebuilt alternator cheaper then they want for the regulator. I have had problems with parts stores alternators and Toyota wants a little much for theirs so I am going to check a place in Joplin that rebuilds them. I talked to him one time about upgrading one to 120 amps and he said to bring one in and he would see what he could do. I now have a candidate to let him see.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello junk4u... I took a TPS that I know is bad as it had rust in it and took it apart. You could possibly take one apart and clean it up. Here is a thread http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=510522 that I went by and I will show a picture of the other side below that he didnt show.

I could tell on my TPS that it did have some carbon or something built up on it and if you look in the thread that I posted above, a goood cleaning could help. At this time I am going to order a new TPS to know I have a good one and will take measurements on it just so I know how close the test really are. It will eliminate any possiblitity of errors on the TPS. I know I am doing the test right as it is just resistance checks andmight try to clean one of the other ones I have that is just failing one test and see if it makes a difference.

Here you can see 2 sets of fingers that could use a little cleaning. This picture isnt showin this thread that I found http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=510522 ( same one as above, but probably makes more sense to add a link here)
Name:  IMG_20140521_014004_zpsv9htvbck.jpg
Views: 1061
Size:  220.6 KB
Old 05-21-2014, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I cleaned the alternator up and replaced the brushes and was really happy with how it turned out. Ran it to the store to have it tested and it failed the regualtor test. Yo can buy a rebuilt alternator cheaper then the regulator. I have a spare alternator and it is in but it will be getting replaced as it just seems to have a looseness to it that I dont care for but it passes all test and you can tell it was rebuilt in Mexico. Just a matter of time before those quit on you anyways but it will do the job for now.

Toyota does not have much leeway for that bottom bolt. Some have enough room to get it thru and others are extremely tight. It is in for now. Now I am off to find the Power Steering leak. Did get the bottom hose replaced on the radiator. It is one of them cut to fit ones. When I changed Mistys out a couple of years ago, I cut it too short. I didnt make that mistake this time.

Last nite was a bust, I was going to replace the brushes in the alternator and replace some relays in Mistys rear window realy box as it is acting flaky. The soldering iron we have at work might melt butter. I have a great soldering iron here at home and the name tag is worn off of it. Wish I would of had it but I did get the brushes in anyways. Her rear window relay will wait til next week. I will post info on that when I get to it.

Here is the link for replacing the brushes. http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...-22RE-4AGE-etc
Old 05-21-2014, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I got the alternator fixed reading 14 volts when running. Will replace it with a new at a later time.
Name:  IMG_20140521_152400_zpsnby34u2_edit_1400709612645_zpsvztzxba6.jpg
Views: 1045
Size:  182.1 KB

I think I found where the leak was coming from. I seen a thread last week where someone replaced the seals in one of these, wish I would of marked where it was at and replace the seals in this one at a later time. Got another pump installed.

I need to go get some tranny fluid and then comes the fun part is bleeding the power steering system. I find it easiest to raise the front tires and with it idling, turn the wheels from stop to stop about 20 times.
Name:  IMG_20140521_165433_zpskwwx6hsu.jpg
Views: 1070
Size:  226.0 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 05-21-2014 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:40 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice work Terry! I have not checked in for awhile, been really busy.

I have never tried to open up a TPS for the 22Re. I also have frustrations with the TPS on my runner. I know there is a hiccup in it at some point. I get a TPS CEL sometimes when cruising 1/4 throttle for a long period of time in 4th gear. It runs great other wise, which is why I have yet to replace it.

How much was the regulator for the Alternator? I have a extra one laying around that I think is bad and want to go through it just to have a spare. Were you able to get the Alternator and starter rebuild parts at the Local parts store? Or did you order them online. I also want to go through a few starters that I have laying around.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:25 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Gizzler00...I got the brushes from Orielly for $5 and they are made in Japan. The regulator was $76 and a rebuilt alternator was $73. I have bought rebuilt alternators and they get redone in Mexico. I got two and they were bad. I took one apart and it had mix matched screws and was done poorly. I am going to a place that rebuilds alternators and see what they can charge to go thru one completely and maybe upgrade it. I recently found another guy that can do them and the other guy that used to do them for me has retired. He was great.

The starters are easy to replace the contacts in and I can get that information later. The parts come out of southeast Missouri and are great.

I going to buy a new TPS and do some measurements on it. I will work with the others I have and see if I cant get them to work but I am thinking the TPS is just something that might be better off just replacing new. I spent alot of time looking up where to buy them and it looks like they may have changed the part number on the newer ones. I am still researching that as well.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Nice write on the TPS, I don't plan on cleaning it up either. I find that electronic stuff even though you clean it up and get it going it eventually dies anyhow do to normal wear and tear that is already done to it. Replacing it is easier and will last longer in my opinion.

I have seen those power steering pump start to leak as well, that happened a while back with mine last year ended up pulling the one from the 86 and using it till I get the rebuild kit for the leaky one, in the mist of that I got another spare for $10 and it seems to be good no leaks of anything.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Helo junk4u.. Some sensors I just clean but on the the TPS, if it has 250,000 miles on the motor, the TPS probably has 2 to 3 million operations on it and is one that well worth replacing.

I seen a seal replacement on the power steering pump a while back and seals werent much and looked easy enough to replace. Wish I would of marked it now. Spare parts will come in handy at sometime. Some I thought I would never need and sure enough it gets used. Can never have enough and when I come across a good deal on one, I grab it.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I took the alternator to a rebuild shop. It is going to be $85 to have it done. I could of saved $10 bucks buy a parts store alternator and just dont care for the quality of those. He has it done already and will try to pick tommorrow. He also had several Denso Starter there that he had rebuilt. He is an older guy and those usually get teh job done from one end to the other. Looking forward to the results.

Got Fuel Guage swapped out.

Getting back glass back in. Working the rubber seal from the inside is a little rough on the fingers. If you get a quarter inch at a time in places, consider it progress.

Cleaned the Starter Relay Contacts. Bend these 6 tabs that hold the cover on.
Name:  IMG_20140522_181544_zpsajvadmcv.jpg
Views: 1039
Size:  398.0 KB

Here is the contacts that need cleaned on these.
Name:  IMG_20140522_181241_zpsvuuvxtod.jpg
Views: 1053
Size:  175.0 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 12-11-2014 at 02:30 AM.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Went to the bone yard today and finally got my mirrors I have been wanting for my runner. I was starting to give up on finding a set like these. I intentionally went with the the doors that had the bolt holes in them for these. I have another set of doors that I could of installed that take the sport mirrors, but I pull alot of trailers and want these for better viewing when pulling. I also got Misty a complete map light kit as she has been wanting one in hers for sometime. One of the pieces that goes inbetween the mirror and door didnt make it from the yard to home but I will make a piece and will replace it when I find one.

Name:  IMG_20140523_140916_zpsgokdtby6.jpg
Views: 1075
Size:  395.9 KB
Old 05-23-2014, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I wanted to paint the black part up and shine the chrome up but patience got the best of me. I went to put on the drivers side and the bottom bolt is just spinning in the screw hole. I will need to pull the interior panel off to get the bolt out. grrrr...
Name:  IMG_20140523_164110_zpsa6mnrwlb.jpg
Views: 1075
Size:  360.7 KB

Got the passenger side on. It went well. I will not use chrome polish on the chrome as it will destroy the finish on it. Learned that on the hard way. These mirrors are firm and adjustable which is hard to find in these. Most are broke or wobbly. I like them for the wider view as this is the one I will make my trailer pulling rig. V6 brakes are coming for it in the near future. There werent any V6 brakes in the yards.

Runner needs a bath. I will paint and clean mirrors later on.
Name:  IMG_20140523_164047_zps6xm1jsdp.jpg
Views: 1048
Size:  354.5 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 05-23-2014 at 01:54 PM.
Old 05-24-2014, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I took the 86 pickup on it first run. I cleaned the tank and had just a few gallons of gas in it. I dont care for filling up with gas cans so it is nice when I can actually use a gas pump. After any major build it is just so nice to be able to drive to the gas station. Also it filled the tank full enough to let me know for the gas guage works. While driving it the temp guage started working. So that was a positive. Still is always a little nerve wracking when taking one on a first drive. I put 10 miles on it and checked for any leaks and other issues and so far so goo.

I plan on taking it to work when we dont have to deal with rain. I can get quite a bit done on my lunch break and it is cooler as well. I already soaked a shirt in sweat. It isnt really hot here but it is humid. The drive to work is 37 miles one way and I always leave two hours ahead of time just incase I run into any problems. Usually about the third days drive to work, I have found any issues that will come up. The first dirive to work is just as anxious too. You can see the horn wire hanging below the blinker cover. Just added that to the list that needs done.
Name:  IMG_20140524_140358_zpstjwwjzpw.jpg
Views: 1071
Size:  302.1 KB

Stopped at the parts store and got a new air filter in and got the tranny fluid added so need to finish bleeding the power steering system as well. All guages working!!! I still need to put the horn cover on but I do that on a back road where I can make sure the wheel is centered. The nut is on tight enough to get the wheel back off but not so loose that it will come off.
Name:  IMG_20140524_143220_zpslh47kigo.jpg
Views: 1081
Size:  270.5 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 05-24-2014 at 11:52 AM.
Old 05-24-2014, 01:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Looking good Terry. I agree, it is nice being able to drive to the pump to fill her up for the first time.

I get anxious as well when breaking in the engine for the first time and doing a shakedown run. It took me a few months and a few hundred miles to work minor kinks out. Other than the drippy rear main.
Old 05-24-2014, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keeping busy I see, Terry! Looks like great work, and a lot of patience. That is the second time I have seen those style mirrors on this site, and I like it! I would love to have a pair like that. Too bad elko doesn't have junkyards close by to go digging in.

Glad it is all coming together for you!
Old 05-24-2014, 10:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
she looks awesome terry also wanted to say thank you for serving
Old 05-25-2014, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Gizzler00... That filling up with gas cans is for the birds, so much easier at the pump. I let my 86 runner idle in the shop for 45 minutes when I got it running and no problems. Drove it 5 miles and found a leak. Drove it 15 more miles and another leak. Putting one on the road adds the stress to it to find the problems that just cant be found in the shop.

Thank chuckarhunt... It is the details that slow you down. I am having to do a few back steps. Had the bed all bolted down and then the fuel guage didnt work so had to redo that, but each one is a step closer. I had a set of those mirrors on my flat bed truck and have seen them a handful of times. I dont think I have seen them for the 3rd gen trucks. I occasionally come across odd or hard to find parts if there is something you really want or need. I will mention more below, but I did find a gold mine of parts this week.

Thanks cyberhorn... Not sure it was serving, I was wanting a way to get around the world once and see all 50 states. lol, Got around the world 3 times, and 47 states. Still need to see Russia, South America, North Dakota, Montana, and New York. We really do have the oppurtunities here and have it made. There is some ratholes out there and life has no value. When some one is injured on the battle field, they go to Landstuhul Germany and on to Walter Reed Hospital. I had an illness and had to go the same route and the price some of those paid have left me a greater appreciation. There were some amazing guys there. I got it easy.
Old 05-25-2014, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I took the truck to work and it rides great and ran great. No major problems. Got some compliments on it when I stopped twice. So much more room then my standard cab that I had. So am that more excited about getting my 85 going. I actually had to pull the seat closer to the wheel. In my standard cab it was all the way to the back glass and still felt crowded. Great riding truck and steering still feels like new.

The problems I did have is the water temp guage would not work at all. It was working the last time I drove it. I thought I did this https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...ge-fix-271152/ but will double check and try a new sending unit. I have a spare Oil and Water Guage I can swap into it.

Five miles from work the passenger head light went dim. It is on in the picture below but doesnt look like it, but it is. I will need to look into that. Not sure what happened but I have seen it is a farily common issue and there have been upgraded wiring projects to fix this. I will start searching for what this problem is. Worked great at the house and for 30 miles. Will check the combo switch as well.wind

The drivers door wont open from the outside, when I changed the door handles from black to chrome, those little plastic pieces can break as they get brittle. That is an easy fix.

Got the bed tighend back down, horn, swapped lights to trouble shoot. Some interior work, got wiring more secured, wind shield cowl, and several other small things that I cant think of. I am working my way to the center of the truck starting at the front and going to the back toward the center.

No leaks!!! Bled Power Steering, Burped the radiator system but will do it again when I install the new alternator and working on headlight issue. Water by jack is from it burping.
Name:  IMG_20140525_065650_zpsx1oaglif.jpg
Views: 1052
Size:  349.3 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 05-25-2014 at 04:47 PM.
Old 05-25-2014, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I did find a stash of trucks in Springfield. They have a complete turbo 5 speed truck in their. My friend tried to buy it but it has no title so is parts only. A loaded first gen runner with the automatic SR5 guage if some one needs one and several other trucks. No dash pads but still lots of parts. If something that is hard to find he might have it and you cover cost and shipping I will see if he has it. It will be two weeks maybe befre I get there or I can PM the information to you if needed to contact him. I caught him at closing time so wasnt able to get all I wanted, had to get what I needed.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
sad on the 5speed turbo really no way to get a lost title? those are getting rare!
do ya want the link on ebay to the upgrade headlight harness terry i can snag it in a second i keep it saved so i can get one myself also the H4 headlights glass lenses with replaceable bulbs

Quick Reply: Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance