86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 07:44 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Dude, .......... wait a minute............ "The Hot Tub is one of her projects"........!!!!!!!???????!!!!!!!..... Does she have a sister? hahahaha.

Good to hear she's feeling better/going to be alright!

EXCELLENT work, man! Hey, is that back seat rest, driver side, toast? Just curious.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
RMP8080..Thanks, I was late getting married and when I was younger, it sure wasnt anything I wanted to do. Seen to many that didnt make it and wanted no part of that. It has been great, we will make it til one of us kicks the can.

On the steering column, if I had removed the wire clip, it would of saved me alot of time. It was the first time for me and would jump back into again if needed to. Reading a manual might would of saved me alot of time.Urggh!!

Thanks 1986yota4x4...I missed my chance to trade her for 2 twenty year old a few years back. Glad I didnt.lol..Its been great.

Hello Chef..My back seats are in bad shape but better then what I had and is something I can work with. I am thinking my truck came without the back seats and some one fabbed up a bench seat. I have no rear seatbelts and the side panels didnt have a cut out for the back seat latches. I am actually thinking of trying to do some upholstry work and seeing how I can do. It would be a new area for me. Can you see me with a needle and thread??lol..I am looking for a sewing machine as I want cloth interior over vinyl or leather. Both get too hot or too cold for me.

She wanted a hot tub and pool for years and those are what keeps her busy.Thats what helps me to be able to do my projects as I support her on hers. One reason my truck will get done quicker then hers and I plan on having mine upgraded more then hers.

I first thought you were talking about the rear headrest for the backs. My orginal seats are blue but have the gray SR5 headrest. I think they are in really good condition. If you want them let me know. I still have your address and will send them to you. I dont know if they are interchangeable for the back seats as seems most are missing. I can get a picture of them around noonish tomorrow after getting back from mister sawbones checkup.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:19 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I did some digging in the shed and found a better clock then what I have in the truck so that was a nice little surprise. Not going to be able to do much tomorrow but after that I have the next couple of days off after that and want to check as many of my electrical circuits as possible. Trying to make sure I dont get any Snap, Crackle, Sparks!

Just going to keep going as far as I possibly can but the head is going to need to go to the shop before to long as it will eventually be the hold up. So far I have been able to keep moving and still have some other things that I can do.

With gas going up. (Yeah...Not!!) I have been putting the miles on my flatbed. I have had three 4x4 trucks that had the 22re with a 5 speed and the best mileage that I can get is 18-20mpg on any of them. My flatbed,two wheel drive, has a 22re with a 5 speed ( out of an 83 Celica) and normal driving I get 26-28 mpg. If I drive easy, I have been getting 30 mpgs lately. Thats easy take off and doing 60 miles per hour. 98% of my driving is non stop freeway to work. 3 stoplights and no traffic, so that will make a big difference in your mileage.

Just thought I would throw that out there for others that have to do alot of driving and dont want to deal with car payments. If you do some digging around, you can find these 2 wheels for a cheap price. My brother has a 91 and says he has gotten 32 mpg. I havent been able to yet for myself. There is a big difference in the mpgs between a 2 wheel and 4 wheel. Just thought this might help someone out there as things arent looking good gas wise.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:04 PM

30-32 mpg?????????? I HATE YOU BOTH! Lol.

JK, that's great news, man! What's NOT great news is the GAS PRICES!

Hey, I posted that stuff btw, lol.... Have a good one, Terry!
Old 03-05-2012, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Add a 1.9 VW TDI Diesel and get 40?
I get 47 mpg driving 65-70 mph...........loving it
Old 03-06-2012, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Chef.. Gas prices are going to hurt everyone soon. I used to drive those Hiace vans overseas. They were tough little vans and DIESEL!! Halfway between my house and Branson, a woman as a 79? Celica like the white one you posted. It is slick. I always liked those cars. I like just about anything that is orginal and someone or put the effort into making something nice.

Hello RMP8080.. I want to sometime down the road look into a diesel conversion. You think the VW diesel would be powerful enough for a 4Runner? I will check out a Mercedes. Still looking into it. I dont know much about diesel as far as working on them. Have driven plenty of them. It is way down the road from now when I get this truck looking and running good. Fuel is only going to go up and I am far more intrested in a horse and buggy over an electric car. Diesels just do better in mileage. I will want as much mechanical and non turbo and basic as possible.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

What started out as cleaning the garage and moving extra parts from the garage to the shed wound up being a "Hey look what I found, lets put it in." I got a SR5 maplight in a bone yard a few years ago and grabbed it. I was to chicken to cut the wifes headliner and put it in her truck when I did hers.

I had the windshield out and so I peeled the headliner back a little and slid it in. Then put the trimming back in to hold the liner back in place.

Then where the mirror goes I usd the mirror screws to hold it so I could cut the liner for the recess for the light assembly.

Here it is mounted. I still need to run the wiring. I have always added a standard cab pick up to my 4runners or extended cab trucks as the light that mounts in the center isnt much use for the driver. I run the wire to the top left corner for electrical. I show this in my 88 build and when I do it on this one I will update it. Been cleaning the headliner and have aways to go.

Last edited by Terrys87; 12-17-2015 at 06:09 AM.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:24 AM

Ooooh, I love my maplights! lol.

Yeah, I've been reading that the Mercedes Diesel might be a bit more like the power we need for these tanks, lol. Not sure on that, but those that I know who've done it, like truckman, are getting over 30mpg, TONS of power(all they need) and are loving it! I told my machinist, he said, "Yeah, i know they're doing that.... They're crazy, ...there are SOME MB Diesels that are great... but most of what they use, like the 617(?) are not 'great' motors".... Anyway, he's just not a MB fan, at least of working on them(and I know he's worked on HUNDREDS, I'm sure... so maybe he's speaking from experience of seeing a lot of common issues with them. Truckman is a mechanic, and he's all for it/sporting one of those Turbo Diesels, lol. CALIF. is now smogging diesels, so that's no longer an incentive for sporting a 'D' series! Grrrr! lol.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:03 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Chef..I do alot of nite driving and always need a domelight. Always looking for something.lol..

I really like the 22re, but am disappointed in the mileage that I know some 4 cylinders do get. So far we dont have to deal with emissions but what happens in Cali eventually gets it way out here. May be 10 years, but it will get here. I have no idea which diesel I would go with if and when I do. I want a simple and dependable one with high miles to the gallon.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:17 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I get to take the head to the machine shop. I sure hope all is well with it when I get off of work. Hoping it doesnt need any machining or worse case scenario it needs replaced. Will have to wait and see.

I was wanting to go fishing, but it is windy and supposed to rain. I have to be home with the wife as she is still down anyways, so I have 2 and a half days I can be in the shop. Have done some small things and have alot that I plan on doing, if all goes well it will make for some big steps, but things go slow for me so will wait and see on that one.

I have started to put my interior back together. I didnt do the Peel and Seal on the front half. Will do that when I out in new carpet. Also found a couple of small rust holes so need to have them fixed before I can finish it up anyways. I will need to take it somewhere to have some small patches put in.

My interior is still looking in rough shape but it is now clean and still looking 100% better then it did. The PO had added the back seat and swapped out the front seats and really had this truck buggered up and wrong missing bolts and wiring. I have got it straightened out. Wish it was in this condition when I got it, but now I know where things stand on it and will feel alot better about it when it is completed.

Since I am going to be stuck at the house on these 2 days off, I really hope to get a ton of small things accomplished and maybe some big things. It all adds up. I shouldnt run out of things to do.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:21 AM
Contributing Member

Received 477 Likes on 321 Posts
Lovin' the thread and watching your truck morph. Happy anniversary!
Old 03-07-2012, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks habnero... It has been a great 10 years. This truck was used as a parts truck when I got it and then I used it as a parts truck. Got my work cut out for me. But I have learned so much on this truck. Im 2o some odd years to late, but I would of made a good assembly line worker for Toyota now.lol
Old 03-07-2012, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Today was a great day. I got off of work and took the head to the shop. Came home and had breakfast and took a little break and then went after it all day. Cant remember all of the small things I got done, but there was plenty. Got alot of the extra parts back in the shed and several hundred small things done.

Just before I called it quits for the day, I put a battery in and hooked up the starter and grounded it to the frame. My one head light worked on hi and low beam, windshield wiper motor worked in all stages, blinkers worked fast (no front blinkers yet,) hazards worked,clock,dash lights, blower motor and seems like something else, just cant recall what it was. Just thought of it, Clutch Cancel switch. NO SMOKE lol I have been worried about the electric on this truck. I did it right and replaced the bad wiring, but still it is on my mind and I may not be out of the woods yet.

Got the Drivers seat in, alot of small trim, the rear window I got from Jason had some tint on it and it was peeling, got it looking new. Thanks Jason, I will be putting it in the hatch tomorrow and maybe see if I can get the whole back gate working.

The front passenger seat will need some work on the leg as the bolt was rusted and had to rip it throught the floor to get it out of the salvage. I will get pics of it later. I will need to take it to a friends house to get the leg replaced.

My one headlight I have for testing is working.

My dash lights work. I do have a burnt blub on the left side and everything I tested worked great.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

The weather was warmer then was to be expected. While waiting for the head, I have the interior almost done for now. Still need to fix a seat bracket. This will for for now until I redo the interior with new stuff later on.

I have some repair to do to the Passenger inner fender. The fenders dont look bad but they have some rust that holds the inner plastic fenders in and starting to rust to the out side. I will have to replace the fenders later on, but for now it will make it legal to drive and help get all the internal structure back into place.

Will start working on the backhatch and hope to get in on soon.

Last edited by Terrys87; 04-09-2013 at 09:10 AM.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:59 PM

what color is the 4runner going to be terry?
Old 03-09-2012, 04:42 PM

Good work, looks nice keep it up
Old 03-09-2012, 07:37 PM

Shweeeeeet! lol. Nice Carpet/Front Clip! lol.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:04 PM

Terry I tell you this all the time but you amaze me my friend, your work ethic is second to none. You are going to have 2 of the most well gone thru 1rst Gen runner on the road. Few can say they have touched as much of there yota as you have and I admire you for it. Now get this thing done so I can submit some pics for next years calendar.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello 1986toyota4x4..The color will stay the factory blue. I have thought of doing a 2 tone with a blue and silver or blue and gray. I want it to look like something that could of come from the factory. I have been digging on the internet looking for ideas. Still havent found anything I really like yet. I dont want to have to paint jams and the engine compartment. That is something I can spot quick when just the outside is painted. It is alot of work changing colors.

Thanks RMP8080.. I have been working at it. Somethings I have been prepping for quiet sometime now. Soaking rusted screws, nuts, and bolts and other things.

Thanks Chef.. The carpet will eventually get changed but it will work for now. The front clip is going to be a workout. Trying to get the right inner fender straightened out.

Thanks Jason.. I will try to have it ready for the calendar. I will do my best to make it nice. You gave me a goal to shoot for.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Doesnt look like much, but I had to spend alot of time getting the seat leg bracket cutoff from my old seat to the new seat. Had to get the seat tracks working smooth. This is just a few of the parts I have been prepping.

Some of the plastics had cracks that I had to Super Glue. Having to make due with what parts I have got. I do an awesome job of getting Super Glue on me and nothing else.lol.

I have found 3 sets of headlight buckets and trying to get a complete set out of the 3. Alot of the screws and buckets were rusted up so had them soaking in rust dissolver. Actually turned out descent.

I have the seat in now and plan on starting on getting my back glass in and hopefully get it on the truck and see if the controls work.

Quick Reply: Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance