86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Speedcrazy's 94 Pickup Evolution

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013 | 06:49 PM

Where's the pics of the mudding?
Old 06-11-2013 | 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by bone collector
Where's the pics of the mudding?
LOL, I knew someone would ask, but it was dark when i got home, and we got another inch of rain last night(my truck lives outside). I will be over there again today and take my camera this time.
Old 06-11-2013 | 04:56 PM

Well apparently the state had the same i dea i did; go play in the washout... When i got there they had put in a culvert and were dumping fill dirt. Strikes me as kinda funny as there are hardtop raods with more holes than a sieve and they pick a dirt access road to repair. So i didn't get in the good mud but got enough on the truck for pics if nothing else =p
Name:  IMG_0221_zps7369e2cd.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  123.2 KB
Old 06-12-2013 | 10:02 AM

Gps

I run a GPS in my '79 truck and it gives a much better reading than the original speedo. It will even give you a decent gas mileage on the fly estimate if you give it the parameters to figure it for you like make of truck and engine.

Just a thought, it ran me like $100 at Wally world and was easier than fixing the speedo.

I am about to purchase a '95 ext cab SR5. It doesn't have wheels and tires on it so that will have to be addressed. I am curious about the rpm's at 70 with the 33's myself?

Cntryboy1289
Old 06-12-2013 | 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by cntryboy1289
I run a GPS in my '79 truck and it gives a much better reading than the original speedo. It will even give you a decent gas mileage on the fly estimate if you give it the parameters to figure it for you like make of truck and engine.

Just a thought, it ran me like $100 at Wally world and was easier than fixing the speedo.

I am about to purchase a '95 ext cab SR5. It doesn't have wheels and tires on it so that will have to be addressed. I am curious about the rpm's at 70 with the 33's myself?

Cntryboy1289
Yeah... i have tossed around the idea of either buying a dedicated gps(this one is borrowed) or an electric speedometer and slowly building my own dash cluster, but that is a lot of work. I really want to find an sr5 cluster and get it working because right now i have no working temp gauge, odometer, speedometer and i miss the battery gauge and oil pressure gauge off of my old nissan, also i'm not sure how many of the warning lights in this dash actually work. The only confirmed working lights are the check engine and brake lights.
Tore the dash off again:
Name:  IMG_0210_zpscfa0aa1a.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  117.2 KB
And found that i have no idiot lights on the right hand side other than the check engine light and cruise control. Which is slightly odd as i do not have a cruise control module. Guess its not the original.
I also want to know the rpms as asked, with my 5.29s and 35"s i run 3000-3200 at 65mph.
Does anyone know the stock ratios?
Old 06-12-2013 | 10:28 AM

gauge cluster

If you are going to be doing what you said in your truck, external gauge cluster mounted on the left front pillar might not be a bad idea.

cntryboy1289
Old 06-12-2013 | 10:30 AM

If you are going to be doing what you said in your truck, external gauge cluster mounted on the left front pillar might not be a bad idea.

cntryboy1289
What exactly are you referring to when you say "doing what you said in your truck"?
The only thing keeping me from going that route at the moment is that i want to keep the cab clean looking and simple so its easy to clean. But it is an idea i have in my head.
Old 06-12-2013 | 11:19 AM

working around a farm, mudding, and occasional highway running, you need a good set of gauges more so than the idiot lights and gauges they put in these trucks. Mine has ran hot several times and the temp gauge was slow to register the heat and my son blew the head gasket because of it.
Old 06-12-2013 | 02:04 PM

Something like the following link is what I am talking about.

http://autoplicity.com/products/2004...FYVZ7AodR1QAmg
Old 06-12-2013 | 03:20 PM

working around a farm, mudding, and occasional highway running, you need a good set of gauges more so than the idiot lights and gauges they put in these trucks. Mine has ran hot several times and the temp gauge was slow to register the heat and my son blew the head gasket because of it.
I get you now. Thanks for the link, i had not though of something like that, it looks real clean. Do you happen to know offhand of anywhere that makes them for toyotas or would that be a fab job?
Old 06-12-2013 | 06:00 PM

I found this for you.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/121014863669?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

Jeff
Old 06-12-2013 | 06:06 PM

Thanks, here is one that fits a truck/4runner rather than an MR2 incase anyone else is interested:
http://www.truckpillars.com/page0/page0.html#

That would be awesome for a bunch of temp gauges and whatnot but i still need to decide what to do about my main dash cluster, replace it or build a custom one. I have found some sweet custom ones but i think hooking up the wiring and such would be beyond me if they have to connect to the ecu. Plus gauges are doggone expensive. GAh... that would look soo sweet though.
Old 06-12-2013 | 06:07 PM

yea, noticed it after I posted it. Here you go

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pp...5/model/tacoma
Old 06-12-2013 | 06:22 PM

yea, noticed it after I posted it. Here you go

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pp...5/model/tacoma
That one would probably be better than the one i posted, cause you could add them on without having to replace the a-pillar cover and without having to remove the grab handle handle. That said the one piece pod looks sick.
Old 06-13-2013 | 06:06 PM

Well i ordered a full set of locks.
I was washing the mud of my truck so i could take a crack at the black over-spray the PO left on my windows and so i locked the triangle windows and hosed the outside off, then i cleaned the inside so i could see my progress on the outside. Well... in the process i pushed the lock button down to get at the dirt behind it. Long story short i locked myself out of the truck. So i decided i ought to invest in a lock that actually works so i can have a spare for emergencies.
$94 on amazon for the full set minus gas cap lock. Full sets are rather hard to find. I did find a complete set + gas cap lock for 85 on TNA but their reviews ain't so hot.
Old 06-13-2013 | 07:03 PM

Nice build. How many times have you taken your dash apart?? Never done it before
Old 06-13-2013 | 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by kornhuskerwizard
Nice build. How many times have you taken your dash apart?? Never done it before
The 3rd gen seems a little more time consuming to me than the 2nd gen pickup/1stgen runner dash. But they are both not that difficult.
Old 06-14-2013 | 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by kornhuskerwizard
Three or four times now. Its not really that hard, just a few screws and snaps. Of course i do have a number of broken tie-down points that will not hold screws anymore. But all in all its fairly easy, just work from right to left.
  1. Glove box
  2. center console/radio area
  3. panel from under the steering wheel
  4. dash cover
  5. dash cluster
  6. top

Easy as that. Just take time to look at each screw/bolt and remember where it goes and you will be fine.
Old 06-14-2013 | 01:39 PM

Every time i take my dash apart i end with extra screws.... lol cant imagine why it rattles.... lol just kidding.... well sorta
Old 06-14-2013 | 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by bone collector
Every time i take my dash apart i end with extra screws.... lol cant imagine why it rattles.... lol just kidding.... well sorta
LOL. I am very meticolous about making sure i know what each screw and its corresponding hole looks like before i dump it in my bag.

In other news i picked up some purple power and cleaned my engine bay... i now look like i dumped a bucket of salt water in there. Apparently the key is too take it off with a pressure washer within minutes of application... i just used my garden hose.
Trying to figure out how to remove all the new crud.

Oh and my lock set shipped =p

Quick Reply: Speedcrazy's 94 Pickup Evolution