86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

RBx 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 10:25 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts
Doing a ton of research is a good thing. I bought my goodyear MTR's based on all the positive info I had read. Now I am wishing I had paid more attention to some of the negative reviews. Won't balance for crap.

Love the can holder
Old 06-17-2013, 10:38 AM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
I think sometimes I like the research more then purchasing said item.

Funny, I was looking to get the MTRs also, have read tons of positve stuff. Then I read your balance problem a week or so ago IIRC. Have you tried airsoft/dyna-beads?
Old 06-17-2013, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honestly, all the big name brand shocks when you get to this level are good. I can find you a bad review on them all if I want to. Really though, what makes them shine depends 100% on the amount of effort you put into tuning them. Don't expect to just simply bolt them on and be blown away. It "could" happen but chances are it won't. Every vehicle is different and the shocks need to be tuned to the vehicle itself. Don't be intimidated by the shocks either! Too many people are scared to tear into them and once I show them what's involved they laugh at how simple they are. Once off the vehicle a revalve will take about 10 minutes at most per shock once you get the hang of it. Only special tools needed to diy are a pick to pop out c-clips and a nitrogen bottle to charge them. The magic in shocks is knowing what valve stacks to choose to install, not the actual physical work of installing them. There's some good sources out there though that will give you a nice starting point for valving and then you can play from there. It's night and day, dare I even say mindblowing, the performance difference a tuned shock makes on trucks in the dirt whether they're solid axle or independent. I currently have 16 high end race type shocks in my driveway between the 3 vehicles so I can't be afraid to tear into them and get them working better... I've got way too many to pay someone to do it for me. LOL Not sure if you ordered those shocks direct from radflo but Glen over there is great to deal with and I'm sure could answer any questions you have and give you some good ballpark valving advice based on your feedback of what the truck is doing once it's altogether.

Last edited by sirhk100; 06-17-2013 at 11:14 AM.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:25 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally Posted by RBX
I think sometimes I like the research more then purchasing said item.

Funny, I was looking to get the MTRs also, have read tons of positve stuff. Then I read your balance problem a week or so ago IIRC. Have you tried airsoft/dyna-beads?
I haven't tried it yet. I did pick up some monster valves that will allow me to do it easier. After having my issue I did a ton of research (live and learn) DIRTCO had the same issue on his 3rd Gen 4Runner along with others guys join pirate. Heck I grooved my other tires and had no issues.
Heading back to America's Tire again to see what they say. If they don't help me out I will put in the air soft.

Looking forward to see how your truck progresses
Old 06-17-2013, 11:47 AM
RBX

sirhk100, thanks for all the info. These shocks valve stacks should be setup for my rig, since 4Wheel Underground (4WU) has used them extensively, and gives their customers a good starting point. They will of course still need tuning & tweaking.

Robb,
I wish you luck in sorting out your balance, I'm sub'd to your thread, so I'll be watching. I know my little 32's are out of balance slightly, just from normal wear, but it is making me crazy driving down the highway with this vibration. It's not awful, but annoying to me. I want to try some type of dynamic wheel balance system next, because big tires fall out of balance quickly, and I don't trailer my rig.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where's the thread on balancing them? I just mounted up some 35" MTR's to beadlocks on my daily driver and the shops can't get them to balance. I've heard about this but never have done it. Wouldn't be too hard to pop them loose and toss a handful in...

And nice on having some decent starting point valving!!! I've seen a lot of people spend big money on shocks and never do anything to them and watch their vehicles just absolutely flop and bounce around while they think they're awesome cause they have cool shocks that don't work at all. LOL
Old 06-17-2013, 05:26 PM
RBX

Haha, I don't want to be that guy with rad bling and no tuning.

Google airsoft or bb tire balance. That's what I did. Don't have links for you. Sorry
Old 07-01-2013, 05:49 AM
RBX

AAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!

No update, just frustrated....

Marlin Crawler Hi-Steer still backordered, while my deadline is approaching and I cannot finish my SAS until I have the steering.
Correction, I cannot even weld everything on until I have the steering. This translates to...tack everything in place, but cannot fit it for clearance until the hi-steer is on...and then I'll have to burn everything in. I'm thinking about just buying a Trail Gear Hi-steer to fit everything. MC has been backordered on the 25mm steering stuff for over 2 months now.
So in other words, I have chopped the IFS off and cleaned the frame...when the Hi-steer gets here i can begin installing the 3-link suspension, and axle rebuild/assembly. I really love doing this stuff last minute, rushed for time.
I have two weeks to have this truck finished so i can shake it down before driving 400miles....
Old 07-01-2013, 12:59 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
That's a bummer. I don't know which kit it is or if it would work but I saw this earlier today and thought maybe it has a chance at working

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/axles...steer-box.html

In any event I hope that your rig gets up and running again soon. I'm excited to see how you do everything.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:35 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey RB...

I know it's probably more practical to order from someone near you, but in case you don't get anything figured out by the time you need this to be in the mail... The place I'm using, Yotamasters, is great with Trail Gear stuff and he might even be able to drop ship to you whatever you need even while he is on vacation. It's a small shop they are the biggest Trail Gear seller in Southern California... It's funny because when I go on Trail Gear everything looks as though it will cost around 10 percent or more over what I end up getting it for from Eric at his shop. I'm not sure that they will answer while he is on vacation, but you could go there to his site and drop them in the mail and see if he can have something drop shipped to you today or very quickly? Just a thought...

https://www.yotamasters.com/shop/pro...gory/steering/

I'm sure he could put together the kit you want... It's probably not a practical way for you to go but I just thought I would throw it out there. I have no interest in pimping any vendors, its just that he's done right by me 100 percent so far and has always worked with me on everything.

I suppose Marlin could do the same thing? Or do they carry the trail gear high steer kit?

I forgot to mention that 4 Wheel Parts is now carrying trail-gear and they can pretty much get anything you need if you give them the part number. I just looked and it appears as though they have your kit and it qualifies for free shipping...

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Brakes-St...GI130001-1-KIT
Old 07-01-2013, 05:02 PM
RBX

Thanks guys!
I must have missed the one on pirate4x4. It's the marlin crawler type I'm looking for because I want the 25mm trunnions upgrade.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:27 AM
RBX

Well last night I drove 100miles(each way) to pick up a set of Trail-Mart hi-steer components. I wanted the Marlin, but when I called yesterday they were still atleast 4 weeks out.

So now is the mad dash to get her back on all fours...not sure if I can pull this off but I'm going to try like a dog in heat! The madness will start tonight and end on the 25th, with breaks for work and some sleep....argh!!!!
Old 07-16-2013, 10:30 AM

Hahaha. ...

"The madness will begin" ... that cracked me up. ..... But then I cringed just thinking back too many flurries of nonstop work truck sleep work truck sleep work truck sleep.... tell the brain and body are basically done!

But, in the end, you will have one of the most bad arse 4Runners on the site! One of my favorites for damn sure! I really love Dirtco's 99.... And obviously many more. but, I just really dig your setup.

I'm really wanting to get one of those awnings as well, so let me know where I can grab one? I'm sure you told me this already and I apologize for likely asking you for the third time, hahahaha,.... but I just love that mod! Was it Sunbrella?
Old 07-16-2013, 10:51 AM
RBX

Chef,
Thanks for the kind words, I hope I can pull this off at the 11th hour. I need to snap a pic of the current state of the truck so I can have a starting point to show everyone.

The awning is just a tarp (8x12?) some conduit and metal stakes with some 550chord, rolled up and stuffed into a 4" PVC(like all the plumbers carry). Its great on the beach and provides tons of shade, but in the wind it is very loud, and sometimes impossible to setup.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:18 AM

My pleasure! I comment and have commented to so many regarding your rig its not even funny! and no, not just because its red and has the same striping as mine! lol

you have done some amazing things to that rig and you should be proud! I've gotten so many ideas and input and solutions from you and I'm very grateful. there are a couple things that I've been wanting to do but have put off, basically because I'm still doing research on what is the best product to use,.... but your placement of those things has me chocked full of a few ideas......

I definitely need a compressor and I'm trying to think of a way, since I do not have air lockers, to do a quick mount and dismount set up off of my roll bar or something of the sort. I sleep just fine back there with my hi-lift mounted, so I was thinking that I could weld a little plate to the 45 degree angle portion of the roll bar for mounting a compressor firmly. this way it could be at least a little bit more towards the center of the rig for airing up and down. you have any thoughts on those? I can't seem to find a single thread that isn't just yet another flurry of arguments. from talking to Eric and a couple other professionals that run shops, it appears that ARB has worked out some pretty serious problems with they had with frying units. people would crank them up for a couple uses and then poof! then I heard mostly good things about the Smittybilt compressors and that they had learned from other manufactures mistakes and upgraded certain parts... and then I heard both of them were crap and that I should go for the same brand as my home compressor, the Campbell˟Hausfeld.... I haven't even looked into it but I wasn't sure they even made those smaller units for mobile capabilities.

I also want a serious inverter that won't bankrupt me! Lol. .. I have my tailgate 400 version from Peak.... the thing is pretty well built it is never giving me a problem on the lower end things... I have a harbor Freight 750 watt that seems to work alright... but unfortunately I'm starting to wonder how much it actually puts out because when we went on our trip to Tierra del Sol, Richards lady tried to use her hair straightener or curling iron or something like that.... It didn't seem to want to power it... and yet at another time powered my laptop and 12 volt coffee mug and phone at the same time just fine... so I'm either not realizing how much power a curling iron takes or this thing is a piece of crap? hahaha. I think I used it to power a real full size coffee maker 1 time as well... I wouldn't think that would take more power than a curling iron, but then I guess my curling iron classes we're the ones I skipped in college! lol. I will definitely look it up because while it seems like a stupid thing to figure out, I have to wonder how much power it requires so that I know if its just above the threshold.

Sorry I'm rambling on here... just let me know if you have any angles on good research that's been done on the newer compressors? also on the inverters? I don't want you to spend a lot of time throwing up information for me because I know you have plenty to do... just curious if you have something off the top of your head as far as some reading I can do that is actually trustworthy and not totally confusing with contrary professional opinions? lol... thanks again for your build man! I'm not kidding you when I say it is often been an inspiration. Ian has done some awesome stuff as well that I really love trying to duplicate or at least get ideas from. DZ, too many to count! Lol
Old 07-16-2013, 11:29 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
rb- for the noisy tarp, try looking for a cloth tarp. think harbor freight has a cheap one that could work:
http://www.harborfreight.com/8-ft-x-...arp-96943.html

Last edited by irab88; 07-16-2013 at 11:34 AM.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:40 AM

Hey Ian, I actually have that tarp as a lay down Matt for wherever I am if I have to work on the rig.... It is really decent quality at least the one that I got is! ...... I'm not sure but I think mine is a little bigger than 8 by 10, but it's definitely sturdy

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 07-16-2013 at 11:41 AM.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:43 AM
RBX

Mark,
I can't speak about the new compressors. I will tell you that any compressor you stick out in the open in your rig will be deafening. Mine in the trunk is pretty load. If its the ARB size compressor, I'd mount it inside the bed/body panels, I think that little guy would fit in there. Oh, and they get hot when running. Maybe mount it to the roll bar like you said, I like pressurizing my tank while driving or on the trail before I need it.

Ian,
Thanks for the idea, I guess it just wouldn't be water resistant, but I'll look into it. I was actually going to redo the whole awning with a thinner camping style nylon/tent pole configuration.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:56 AM

yeah, that'd be a ton quieter. the thing about the mesh is that it doesn't catch the wind, so it'd be quieter and be easier to set up
Old 07-17-2013, 06:22 AM

hey rb, need an r151f? there's one for sale on ebay in annandale, va:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-22ret...-/300935305011

if you want it, you can pay for it and i can pick it up this weekend, and you come get it whenever

Last edited by irab88; 07-17-2013 at 06:26 AM.

Quick Reply: RBx 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread