86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

RBx 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 07:41 AM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
got the elusive Supra(1402 casting) calipers in today! May wait to install them on my new axle build. Going Full float with an elocker. More to come:

Last edited by RBX; 02-21-2015 at 07:28 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
those look sweet!
Old 01-25-2013, 08:56 AM
RBX

Have to measure the hole spacing for the full float adapter still.
Edit: celica/supra caliper mounting hole spacing for casting #1402 is 140mm(5.5")

Last edited by RBX; 01-25-2013 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Measured hole spacing
Old 01-25-2013, 09:26 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey RB, Please forgive...... What is that for? The "caliper"? I'm gonna head back a page, but I thought id kept up on this thread.... BTW, which year Supra, BRAKE CALIPER?

Lastly...... HOW ARE YA, MAN?
Old 01-25-2013, 09:39 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
so i was wondering why you said "elusive"... then i searched and found: out of stock, not available, not found, notify when in stock, etc. jeez, popular brakes
Old 01-25-2013, 10:11 AM
RBX

Mark, these are the celica/supra rear calipers for 79-mid81 with center pull ebrake. I haven't had an ebrake since I did the disc swap outback and the t-case brake needs refining(may end up on my sons runner at some point).

Ian,
Auto Brake Center showed they had them in stock so I ordered the pair only to be told they weren't. I got an email from Sean at ABC telling me he would fined them, I exchanged emails through the weekend with him, including Sunday. By Monday he located a set to be rebuilt and shipped them to me. They were about 200$ for the set, but that is still cheaper then a tcase brake.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:27 AM

WOW, very cool, RB! I guess if I plan to do the 4wheel disc job on mine....some day, I'd better locate something like this. I have that pic I posted of that 78 Celica, from PYPart, .... Wish I'd known that, woulda been 50$ for the pair. .......

That's the only one I've seen, but in reality, I'd only happened upon it while crossing through the HUGE yard to get over to the trucks, lol... HOWEVER, inventory would have told me that, at any of the 1000 times I've checked on their list. So, 78-81 with Center Pull Ebrake, eh? I'll keep my eyes out for one. I'm doing the V6 Brake Upgrade here in a few days, so I might as well go all out, right? lol. Thanks for the input... NICE!
Old 01-25-2013, 10:42 AM
RBX

^^^they have to be the supra model celica rear calipers before they switched to drum ebrake rotor combo in the mid 81 model. If you find them grab them through them on eBay and make a buck or keep them for later.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:31 AM
RBX

Project Self Recovery - Winch

So this weekend I picked up a 10000lbs winch this weekend (actually it only weighs 100lbs, not sure where they came up 10000lbs, cuz i can totally lift this thing without making noises). She's a bit old, but has been serviced and plenty of power. The MX10000(M10000) is known to be a bit slow on a pull, but i don't compete so if i am slow out of a hole, well, dinner will wait.

Got it torn down over the weekend, found a bit of corrosion in the gear housing. And a bit of oxidation on the bottom of the aluminum chassis.

can you guess which side was down???
(Looking into the gear housing side)

Called Warn yesterday and they are sending me out a new set of clutch bearings and gaskets for FREE! Warn is an awesome company.

Got the hole winch torn down and blasted, I'll snap more pics of the parts before i powder coat them, but corrosion seemed to be very minimal and superficial.

Last edited by RBX; 04-01-2015 at 12:18 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The whole Mk.I Supra rear axle is a high-dollar item. The car itself is ugly and not super desirable, but the axle swaps easily into Gen1 and Gen3 Celicas, which are quite a bit more popular. In case you were wondering where they all went, if you didn't already know.

Can't wait to see what you do with that e-brake, though!
Old 02-08-2013, 09:41 AM
RBX

^^^ Figured it had to be something along those lines.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by RBX
Yesterday i gave my girl a much needed booty enhancement;
Old Man Emu Dakar Leaf Springs CS009R & Heavy Valve Shocks N85
Ruff Stuff Specialties Axle Swap Kit (U-bolt Flip)

The ride is 100% better then it was before, however my front end still needs to be upgraded. So on her maiden voyage(shake-down) i took an 89mile one-way ride from Baltimore to Leesburg, Virginia to pick up so things with a friend of mine. My buddy owns a 99 4Runner SR5, quote 'wow, this thing rides better then my 4Runner with almost half the miles'.

Needless to say i am very happy with the comfort on-road and in my 'unloaded' 4Runner.

My truck unloaded has, a swing out tire carrier with 32" mounted steely, dual batteries and OBA, not to mention two quarts of oil, various straps, sunken trunk. It was recommended to my from 4x4connection.com where i made my purchase to try the heavy weight shocks, they were right.

Driving impressions:
Much, much smoother comfy ride. In the old and tired setup, i had 2" of uptravel and that was using extended shackles. Every little bump felt like a big bump. Some of this was due to the cheap shocks i purchased...$25 a corner, felt like it.
The new setup soaks up bumps like a new vehicle should, however when you hit a good size bump at speed the shocks react differently, and you know it is a big bump, but now it is a controlled feeling and dampened as you would expect.

Currently she is jacked a little higher then i want, but that should settle, and i am fine with the height, i just need bigger meats now.

A tip if you plan to go with the OME springs, make sure you can jack your truck up higher then you think you need and way higher then to just remove your old springs.
And you cannot use your old leaf u-bolts, they will not have enough thread left as these springs are a thicker pack. This was a perfect time to U-Bolt flip and shock relocate.

Yes i would recommend these, at under $100 a leaf, and $50 shipping, you can't beat.

tired:

Full tank passenger side:

New hotness:
I KNEW it was u! Lol... This is what drew me in to the decision i've now made. OME CS009R FTW! Lol. .. Since I'm doing this, and I will apoarently need new u-bolts, do u think I can get all I need from 4wheelparts? (I'm ordering on phone and pick up in store next day)... Wanna order allll I need at once. . Also, do I need to order bushing kit or does OMEmu include it? Not sure if I should order longer shackles, since I only have 1.5" bj spacers/t-bars relaxed a bit to boot... And I see u already had em when u ordered ur OME's... With my 12"x125# zuk im up a bit, but level to the tee with the bj spacers. . Just dont have the weight u have on back, so a lil worried about dego rake, deoending on which way I go.. o.O lol. ..

THANX AGAIN, RB, for all the bitchen mods with great write ups u do! This one, I suspect, will be a big favorite once I do it (next few days if I dont have to wait on special I parts from all over the world/for add ons to the basics ) haha
Old 02-11-2013, 11:57 AM
RBX

Mark,
The bushings are sold separately.

OME is owned and run by ARB, so i am guessing you could get everything at once....I did, but it was from IronPigOffRoad.

The U-Bolt flip... you will need to relocate your shocks to the axle, I put mine in the stock location but now they attach to the axle housing.

I have zero lift in the front, and i don't think(but it is possible) the torsion bars are cranked at all, and my rig has a slight rake to it. So, you and your BJ's should be fine......i crack me up.

Anyhow, to get the OME springs on, I had to really jack the truck up higher then my little 3ton jack would allow...there is probably a better way to do it. The OME springs are quite arched, compared to the old, busted, wavy, tired leafs that were stock.

Now i can't wait to do the front.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:17 PM

I have a 6 ton HD JACK! WOOT! Haha. Thank you!
Old 02-11-2013, 12:22 PM
RBX

Sure thing Chef.

Good luck
Old 02-11-2013, 12:39 PM

I will take it.... and. The flip kit will have to wait, as no one for sure to weld the shock mounts in the time I would need it. Buttttt, if I ordered a flip kit from somewhere now, could I use just the u bolts from it until I can flip em? And I have rancho 5000's from a 3" lifted 85 PU in the rear... I might wanna go with different shocks... any clue on ones, like bilstien 5100's, that I might get off 4wheelparts, when I call? They have most everything, just not on the site, I have to call and they find most anything....... Maybe the ranchos a re fine fir now, just a lil stiff, frim what I feel/hear from many others, ya know?
Old 02-11-2013, 01:18 PM
RBX

Your ranchos should work... Guessing.
You cannot use reuse your u bolts iirc.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:15 PM
RBX

Got my warn winch parts today, let the rebuild begin
Old 02-16-2013, 09:17 AM

It'll be cool to see your rebuild of the winch. I saw an older metallic green warn in the CL last week. Old school. Lol.

Going to skim back on ur OME springs portion here. I talked with Scott at ARB-USA, yesterday. Great dude. He said with my weight being most often stock load, + 100# some times, few hundred only when on trips, I , would probably be happiest with the CS009R, medium load pack only, without the D5XL leaf in there(which is what turns the CS009R PACK INTO the heavy load pack)...which IIRC is what u have? U have a bit more weight in there than myself. He gave me all the bushing and bushing sleeve numbers... but wasnt sure I would need or want longer or even greasable shackles for now, if I planned to eventually SAS. CURIOUS WUT YOU think on that, and gonna look back and compare ur measurements of lift to mine with the zuk 12"x125#er, over stock. I think the OME pack set up would give me some more flex, granting these shocks arent limiting me(the RANCHO I have are RS5144, which are; 14+" compressed and 22+" extended, for a total travel of 8.375" or around there, IIRC).. Do you know the comp & extended numbers of urs?

Reading back now

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 02-16-2013 at 09:19 AM.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:30 AM
RBX

Mark,
I am using the medium spring and the HD shock. This is due to the extra weight, but the weight is as follows:
Rear bumper carrier, 100lbs, appox, if you have a bumper other then stock that is going to add a few lbs.
spare tire, everyone has one back there, but larger tires are a bit heavier.
Here is where my weight outback is different.
Two batteries, OBA, OBHS(pump) & weight of the trunk(isn't to heavy).
You'd probably be fine with the light duty shocks.

I don't think you have to change shackles, I already had greasable marlins.
No idea about the shock size/length, I bought what was recommended for the springs and vehicle.

Last edited by RBX; 02-16-2013 at 09:40 AM.

Quick Reply: RBx 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread