RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
1KZ-TE Rebuild thread for reference

1KZ-TE Rebuild thread for reference

http://www.westcoastcruisers.com.au/...a-surf-kzn130/
Old 09-24-2012, 01:05 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey Bud, ....

I went back through to page 32 and saw the dome light on rear wiper motor thingy, like bryan on ih8mud did..... And I saw some explanation of the wiring, but you'd said, "Too busy with work", which I TOTALLY get! But having read back from the end, .... I'm just not sure if I missed it or whatever, lol. Here is the permalink to your post on the rear dome light...

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...l#post51778166

I like how it comes on with the doors open(does that have to be set to 'DOOR' to do that? And, does it still work the same, like when you have it to 'off', it wont come on and 'on' and it stays on?) I'm sorry RB..... I know you're busy, so I'm searching elsewhere as well, just to get it all down.(I have to repair the cable in my tailgate as the right side wont latch .... Everyone I've found in the yards have been the same, haha... Terry says I can use a 2nd gen one... same thing. WOOT! Anyway, I want to add the light and all that while I'm in there... And with Winter coming and planning to FINALLY do some Snow Bound Hot Springs Camping.... I won't be removing the top except to maybe do the Con-ferr if I can find time[more important things to do first, ya know?] .... And even if I DO pull the top, I'd like to do the 2 Deck Lamp thing with a switch, bypassed, like Roger and I'm guessing YOU did?) I'm going to go back a few more posts to try and find it. Only problem for me is I don't have the Custom Paneling like you do... But I'm wanting to do it, cuz mine is toast anyhow(and I have a spare pristine set of panels I got at Pickyourpart, if I ever wanted to put them back, )

Also, ...DAYUMMMMMMMMMMM, ....I am always impressed with all the AWESOME work you've done, Buddy! Just hope to develop some of those skills and such over time.. Cuz the thing is just quite the expedition/weekend/sleeper/quick run for some wheeling- 4Runner! JUST LOVE this rig for WHAT'S IN IT/ON IT! ON TOP of the color and stripe scheme! hehehe.

PS> Also bookmarked the bumper idea/concept section... I REALLY love Micheal's rig! NEVER noticed that bumper til I read that in your thread. But, ....honestly? My brain is so buggered right now I can't even remember, without looking, what you did on the front end. I know the rear bumper with carrier, etc... But CAN'T, FOR THE LIFE OF ME remember if you ever did that! hahaha(Refused to look in an attempt to TRY AND REMEMBER with my wiped out brain! lol)
Old 09-24-2012, 01:31 PM

HOLY CRAPOLI! lol.... I had TOTALLY mixed you up with someone else, RB! Not sure if it was Yotarob or otherwise(I'll look it up)... But you MODIFIED your panels, not new ones... OK, WOW, how 2 years flies by, RIGHT? hehehe.

These two links were what I found...

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...l#post51613348

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...l#post51620370

But still didn't see how you mounted the second deck lamp or switch... (if there is a switch IN the rear, I mean)... And curious if you ever mounted a constant hot switch in back for the rear window... I didn't see that either. Anyway, I'll go back and forth to Roger's write up on that, etc., etc... But that REALLY helped looking at your stuff again... JUST AWESOME! ANDDDDDDD, .... I LOVE having my 'mobile' 6x9 Boxes.... BUT, ..hiding them? OHHHHH, ... that would be great too! Tough to decide. Plus, my rear panels behind the seats are PRISTINE, ... w/pockets for rear passengers, too.... Just not sure I wanna cut em, ya know/ BUT, mounting stuff in the VERY rear, ... NO PROBLEM with that, as I have an extra set of panels in perfect shape. Would LOVE to mount the SUB in the panel.... BUT, I worry that 10" JL speaker would, 1. Have fitment issues, and 2. Might not sound right w/out a box, ya know? lol. I just HATE it sitting in there like a 'HEY, BREAK OUT MY WINDOWS FOR THIS STUFF' target! YA KNOW?

Honestly, RB.... THANK YOU, again, for all the great write ups you've done on your GREAT mods! Love the box, OBA, Shower, Rear GATE carrier that holds the tire over so you can still see out the back.... just ALL of it!

PS> Do you have door courtesy lights? Is that what you meant by that? i didn't see pics of that. Sorry.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:09 AM
RBX

Mark,
Thanks for the kind words, I'll see if i can address all your questions.

The Added Dome Light, in the link you provided i explain what wires to tap(this light has 2 grounds and one power, one ground is sheetmetal contact) but i forgot to mention, run a ground from one of the mounting screws of the new courtesy light to a ground wire. I tapped a wiper motor ground wire(can't recall but its probably a white w/black stripe wire). Also add a small two wire disconnect so you can remove the top and just unplug it. I used some 2-pin amp/tyco connectors i had so i could use one on my soft-top and one on my hard-top(same connector on each, and i have a courtesy light in each top now). I also ran a single ground lift switch to my dash so i can turn the dome lights on with a single button. This switch and the rear are tapped at the drivers door. And yes both my doors have lights also. Man, i actually miss wiring stuff on my truck.

Second Deck light, you don't need a custom panel to do this. I removed both panels and layed one ontop of the other (backside to backside) and drew guide lines, then jig-saw or hot knife it out(solder iron works then trim with an razor knife). Now just run a second set of wires from the original light over to the new deck light(i had my intrertior out and ran the wires from the source in the front of the truck, but you could sneak them under the seat hinge area and across). I am just using the standard deck lamp switch(it is pjust an illuminated DPDT).

I did not put a separate window switch in the rear like Roger, howere i did move all my window switches to the center console so i have easy access to them. Not to mention, i need to open my tire carrier if i want to get out using the tail gate.

hope that helps.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re-subscribing (accidently hit unsubscribe in the email instead of the link to the thread...)
Old 10-16-2012, 02:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How did working around the front end go? I have a 1990 4runner I just took out 2500 on that I wrecked into a guard rail so I have a whole front end rebuild... Any tips or advice?
Old 10-16-2012, 08:51 AM
RBX

1KZ-TE Manual Info

Took me forever to find this, so i am putting it here for future reference

1KZ-TE wire diagrams and info
http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/downloads.htm
Old 10-18-2012, 11:41 AM
RBX

PhotoChopped Paint Schemes

For your entertainment, and since i have done nothing but drive the rig, and save money for a diesel....and since i am waiting for a call back from the Importer, i figured I'd play a bit....mainly to show off my mad photchop skillz....jealous?

The wifey keeps telling me that after the diesel goes in it needs new paint
Any how....

Started with a stripped photo, and added the teq sticker

Then i went all Ivan Stewart:

Then i pulled that back a bit to resemble the existing paint scheme, just changed a bit of the striping.

My favorite, yes i know it is a bit "HEY LOOK AT MY TRUCK"

yes, that is what i did to my rig today!

Last edited by RBX; 02-21-2015 at 07:07 AM.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:05 PM

Love the second one... And WUSUPPPPPPPPPPP RB! hahaha...

Almost gained back my self respect by your being dormant for a while(cuz you've done around 300 times more add ons, etc., hahaha).... JK, .... can't WAIT to see what's next.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:22 PM
RBX

Yea, I like the second one the most (but my fav is the rising sun) and it wouldn't need to be a total color change.
I saw your write up on the rear dome light mod, very nice.

Last edited by RBX; 10-18-2012 at 12:23 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:25 PM

Hahaha.. it'll be nicer when I get it WIRED! lol... BUT, I'm actually doing panels, built in for the 10" JL... a pair of 2nd Gen REAR wiper cover 3 Wire Lights on the sides... and adding the switches into the panels for the rear window and window lock(to prevent gear pushing momentary switch, once hot! hahaha. (gonna hide the lock well )

ONLY need that switch when camping... So Might hide that as well... Why 'INVITE' anyone, right? I have an idear, lol.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like the Ivan Stewart one. Looks like it belongs as a Assist/Chase Rig
Old 10-19-2012, 03:08 AM
RBX

yea, I like the Ivan one alot, always loved white 4Runners, but always loved red trucks.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I honestly like the rising sun best. I'd rock that. Put an American flag sticker on a window to really mess with people....
Old 10-19-2012, 01:44 PM
RBX

I'm still playing with the designs. I don't want to do a color change due to the amount of work involved. Plus it gets wheeled, it doesn't have to be perfect, just needs to look well planned.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
use the plastidip method...

I am planning on painting my rig with it.. not sure how it will hold up to rocks and foliage scraping
Old 10-19-2012, 02:04 PM
RBX

Actually if I do anything before paint it will be vinyl. I have heard if the plastic stuff, lots of tuners use it for stripes. I may try it instead of vinyl. Thanks for the tip.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:19 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
maybe you could get james dean to make you some custom stripes
Old 10-20-2012, 06:28 AM
RBX

Ian, I have a good friend locally that will cut me vinyl, I just send him my design. I used him for quite a few things in the past. In fact he cut all the mask for my bike respray. If I went stock decals(still a possibility)I'd definitely use James Dean.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:36 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
ah, got it. and i might enlist said friend for my boat hmmm...

Quick Reply: RBx 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread