86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

RAD4Runner's 1986 4Runner dlx Build-up

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 02:59 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
When you get off of vacation, I would like to get with you on the starter upgrade. I ready for a vacation as well. Just waiting for some descent weather. Enjoy your vacation, they go fast. Never long enough. Philbert was a great guy. Need more like him in this world.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:36 PM

Received 670 Likes on 459 Posts
Back Stateside :)

Back Stateside to Yotatech... from here...
Old 04-27-2014, 10:26 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Great looking place to be. I consider myself very fortunate that between military and civilian jobs that I got to see some great places like that. I do miss being a world traveler at times. The different foods that I got to try and sure wish I could of learned some of the recipes while out in places like that. Indian Ocean is my favorite when it is smooth. Not so friendly when it is rough. It is clear in some places and could see very deep.

When would be the best time in your time zone to get a hold of you to do my starter upgrade? I have a very flexible schedule and can call just about anytime as soon as the weather settles down here. We had tornadoes in the area but it should be getting warmer and better here soon, I hope!!!
Old 04-28-2014, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Great looking place to be.
This was a from an expedition with Tao Philippines. Tour outfit is eco-friendly, village-friendly and is highly recommended.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:13 AM

Windshield trim Delete Post Updated

Windshield trim Delete Post updated with pics of Corolla Trim-less rear window.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:25 PM

Notes to Self: Battery-Intake Swap & Snorkel

Brainstorming...

Does anyone know the functional reason why 22R-E air intake path has to be long? Could it simply be a cost cutting measure in manufacturing?

Also, the pipe that runs between air cleaner box and grip is rather small- Two-inch ID?

I do not plan water crossings, but like to do dusty Anza-Borrego Desert. A snorkel would keep more distance between intake and stirred up dust. Installing snorkel would further lengthen intake path. Therefore, a battery-intake swap makes good sense. Meaning I would need a right-fender mount snorkel. i.e., The Safari SS135HF (right-fender mount) that 4Crawler mentions in 4Crawler In-fender then in Cowl Snorkel post.

Example of such install but on 4th Gen Toyota...
Alex Jet on Toyotanation using Safari SS135HF (right-fender) on 05 4Runner

I wonder how the SS135HF's geometry would work between first-gen 4Runner's fender and throttle body. Any experience?

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 05-15-2014 at 11:27 PM.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Brainstorming...

Does anyone know the functional reason why 22R-E air intake path has to be long? Could it simply be a cost cutting measure in manufacturing?
This:
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzezeqah/s...ionsystems.pdf

Courtesy of GrapeApeRacing.com . Do a little math, you might end up improving power. Or you might reduce it. It matters, just like exhaust and tuned headers. Take into account the power range of your cam too, and what RPM you want the power when you reach for it.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by bkubisht
This:
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzezeqah/s...ionsystems.pdf
Courtesy of GrapeApeRacing.com . Do a little math, you might end up improving power. Or you might reduce it. It matters, just like exhaust and tuned headers. Take into account the power range of your cam too, and what RPM you want the power when you reach for it.
Nice. Thanks! Saved the article. Would make good reading.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:17 PM

Restoring Finish

Hi guys,
I'm beginning to work on Ruby Tuesday's paint. I have recently applied rust converter to areas on roof with after I sanded down minimal surface rust. Now I want to apply paint. Also want to touch up wind rash that where paint has worn out to show primer.

I find 3D7 (or what brands claim as 3D7) a little too pricey here.
More reasonable is Duplicolor 3E5- Toyota Super Red that's also claimed to be compatible with 80's 4Runner here.

Has anyone used the Toyota Super Red to restore or touch up first-gen 4Runners?

Do you guys think it's close enough?

TIA
Old 06-02-2014, 10:27 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Under the hood on the firewall, just behind the engine, the first three digits is your paint code on the silver square tag. I have not used cans before and one reason I paint an entire truck is I don't know how to blend it to match. Trying to make the new paint match the old paint. I learned from Richard, (Redeth) that in California, you cant get interior paint mixed like I can here. Also California is going to water based paint and not sure how that would work.

If you can get paint mixed for small amounts in California, I would suggest finding a place that mixes it and see if they could mix it up in rattle can form. I have mine mixed at Oriellys. Not all stores will have paint mixing ability. You will need to ask your local store where the main store is that mixes paint for you at and go there. If the guy that mixes it for you has great experience, he can mix it up for you and give you a ton of information.

I know Autozone mixes paint as well. I have never used them as I like the guy that mixes my paint. You might have another source for paint elsewhere. I use Nasson Paint which is a cheaper brand of paint of Duplicolor. Duplicolor has a higher brand of paint that does a better job of matching then Nasson. Those are the only brands of paint I have experience with. Like you mentioned, different brands of paint range in price considerably. Price what candy apple red is ,Wow!!! then all of the stages to get it on.

I would suggest seeing if you can have it mixed up locally and they can put it into an aerosol can for you if California allows that. Richard got some strange looks when asking for interior paint and when I talked to my paint mixer, he told me some of the rules that apply out there. As far as exterior paint, there has to be a way to do it and I am not sure how to go about out there.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:30 PM

Thanks, Terry!

Thanks, Terry!
Actually, 3D7 is the paint code but hard to find.

Most of the body paint is in very good condition (shines well after applying TR3 Resin Glaze), so I don't wanna mess with it. I'm only touching up where wind/friction had worn out the paint. Worst area is primed in grey below.

Just trying to see what spray can paint is close enough. As for the shell, I'll just take it to the body shop to have it painted. Too big of a job for me (no facility nor equipment).

BTW, how's your starter working?

Name:  20130504_075_zpsed222564.jpg
Views: 1227
Size:  94.5 KB
Old 06-03-2014, 12:14 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I just like the looks of your truck. I would just spray it like you are talking about. Red buffs out nice. I have seen a pinkish looking truck with just a little elbow grease turn how nice.

Thanks for helping with the starter. Hasn't missed once since I fixed it. Before I fixed it like you suggested, it did it to me a time or two every now and then and I was always able to get it going. Misty took it to the store one time and she just wasn't able to get it started. I showed up and it fired right up. Now I don't worry about it not starting for her when she takes it. It really acted like it didn't want her driving it at times. lol
Old 06-04-2014, 01:31 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Can I get you to look at my 86 runner build thread, page 103 and see if the 85/86 wiper motor fix would work? I think it would. The motor for the 87 and newer, I broke the shaft that holds the wheel on so I am not worried about that. Thanks.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That picture of the ocean is awesome! Wish I could go somewhere like that.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by yota_terror
That picture of the ocean is awesome! Wish I could go somewhere like that.
Yes, Yota_terror the unspoiled, uninhabited islands are lovely. I wanna go back there.

This is the expedition I signed up with: www.taophilippines.com/

Accommodation, transportation and destinations are rustic and uncrowded - obviously from that picture , but service is almost personalized.

A Blog about the outfitter here.

And

There is now a traditional sailboat option. Quiet, no fumes.

Please note that the video is professionally produced and features the best footage of several days, so on one given standard 5-day expedition, you may not see all the lovely sights you see on the video.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 06-06-2014 at 10:34 AM.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:49 PM

Finish Restoration

This will be my journal for restoration of Ruby Tuesday' finish.
To date,

Road rash on roof was sanded down to metal where there were rust spots, and treated with Permatex rust converter. The rest of the road rash that merely exposed primer was "sanded" down with scouring pad (equivalent to 600 grit), then I applied first coat of paint.
Before:
Name:  20130504_075_zpsed222564.jpg
Views: 1254
Size:  94.5 KB

Now:
Name:  IMG_5978_zps359df3ed.jpg
Views: 1215
Size:  121.9 KB
I merely used some red color close enough from Dupli-color. I will order Toyota Super Red for final coats.

The hood... has been rubbed with TR3 Glaze/polish. Turned out really nice. I'm not completely finishing hood, yet. I'll do that after the windshield replacement.

The Fiberglas shell... I'll leave that to the shop because I do not have the facility to do it properly (environmentally-wise) for such a big job.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 12-08-2015 at 02:24 AM.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks good!
Old 06-07-2014, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by kornhuskerwizard
Looks good!
Thanks, kornhuskerwizard.

Guys,
If you have experience with TR3, I wonder if you'd know why the coating had gone tacky on my hood and front fenders. Could it be that I merely applied too much?

Thanks a lot.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:49 PM

Windshield & Roof Rack Project in Parallel

While waiting for primer/epoxy body filling on windshield surround to cure, I'm double-checking fit and dimensions of roof-rack (Blazer's from Mark, similar to RBX's).

Will mount after camper is repainted.

Name:  IMG_3256_zpsacdd9502.jpg
Views: 1239
Size:  137.2 KB
Old 06-22-2014, 01:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
While waiting for primer/epoxy body filling on windshield surround to cure, I'm double-checking fit and dimensions of roof-rack (Blazer's from Mark, similar to RBX's). Will mount after camper is repainted.
Very nice. My roof really needs some attention also. It's peeling bad.

Quick Reply: RAD4Runner's 1986 4Runner dlx Build-up