86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Ocell's 88 4Runner build thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 08:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PayneInTheYota
Hey Ocell, it's been a bit over a year since you bought your bumper. Have you used it for any recovery? How's it holding up? Just curious I'm kinda in the market for a bumper. Thanks.
I've used it several times. In the video I just posted you can see me getting winched up a ledge. I also used it on the same trip to get out of some mud. I've used my own winch several times to get out of trouble.

I've also used the tubes against a few trees and a wall in a creek bed. I love it, and highly recommend it if you're considering one.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:05 AM

Received 208 Likes on 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Ocell
I didn't check the backlash. I worked very carefully to put everything back in exactly as I had removed it, hoping that the backlash would stay the same. Maybe that's not how it works?
Well, it could stay the same, but in my opinion it's pretty hard to get everything exactly back where it was with just some marks. For instance, you can mark the adjuster wheels, but if you put it in a thread or 2 deeper when you start off, marking it doesn't mean that when your marks line up the adjuster will be same as it was. All of this doesn't really matter that much though, I wouldn't take the diff out just to measure the BL. I think you're probably going to be fine the way it is, if you ever pull the axles to do the bearings maybe that would be a good time to check the BL.

Great videos by the way, keep them coming.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:05 AM

My first broke CV axle! This weekend I did a 2 day trip to Katemcy Rocks in Grit, Texas.

http://katemcyrocks.com/trails.html

Near the end of the second day I heard a loud pop while starting a climb cut hard left. I backed out and drove a bit, everything seemed fine. I thought it was just the locker unloading. I tried the climb again and made it fine, then did a couple more trails.

On the drive back to camp things started flopping around and it became obvious I had broke the axle. I unlocked the hubs and made the 2 hour drive home at 80mph in an immense storm with no problems.

I'm putting a video together and hope to have it posted soon.

My first broke CV Axle! Katemcy lived up to its reputation this weekend. by Ocell, on Flickr

My first broke CV Axle! Katemcy lived up to its reputation this weekend. by Ocell, on Flickr
Old 05-26-2014, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by coryc85
Well, it could stay the same, but in my opinion it's pretty hard to get everything exactly back where it was with just some marks. For instance, you can mark the adjuster wheels, but if you put it in a thread or 2 deeper when you start off, marking it doesn't mean that when your marks line up the adjuster will be same as it was. All of this doesn't really matter that much though, I wouldn't take the diff out just to measure the BL. I think you're probably going to be fine the way it is, if you ever pull the axles to do the bearings maybe that would be a good time to check the BL.

Great videos by the way, keep them coming.
Thanks for the feedback. I was careful to count exposed threads when I was putting the caps back in, but I agree with your points.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:21 AM

I decided to bite the bullet and replace the fuel pump to see if it fixes my issues. I've finally learned my lesson, between working on this 88 4Runner and my 91 BMW E30, to take things apart before ordering new parts.

I pulled the access panel to get to the fuel pump and found that someone else had trouble breaking the fuel line off of the hard line coming off the top of the fuel pump hanger. It folded the hard line, so I've been running with restricted fuel supply this whole time. I then had my own shot with PB Blaster, a wrench, a vice grip, and drilling a hole through the hard line so I could stick a screw driver through it for leverage. No luck. I finally popped it loose by cutting the hard line off and putting it in a vice with a screw through the hole I had drilled to keep it from rotating.

This is what I found when I removed the access panel. Ugh!

Even this didn't work.

This made it easy.

My Katemcy trip was coming up in a week, so I didn't have time to mess with pick-n-pull for a new fuel pump hanger. I thought of cutting off the threaded connectors, flaring the hard lines, and running standard injection hose. But, I was worried about getting to the end of the hard line that runs inside the frame up to the engine to flare it. In the end I just spent the money ($140, ugh) to get a used fuel pump hanger that showed a disconnected fuel line in the photo. Many of them showed the fuel hose cut off, so I figured they were seized on as bad as mine was.

I ordered a new Denso fuel pump from Rock Auto and got it all together the Thursday evening before the trip. I drove 2 hours to Katemcy, ran all weekend on the trails, and drove it back home with no problems. I'm feeling optimistic that I've fixed the issue. I'm assuming my pump was getting killed over time by trying to push fuel through that pinched line.

Last edited by Ocell; 05-26-2014 at 09:23 AM.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is how I bout my red 4runner bone stock for $500, the guy couldn't get it to run, found the fuel hard line their to be kinked, it took out the fuel pump filter and gauge.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:49 AM

Is that how you chose your name, too?
Old 05-26-2014, 09:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ocell
Is that how you chose your name, too?
Haha, no had another yoga before that one.
Old 05-26-2014, 02:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You've been busy.

What kind of axle will you go after?
Old 05-26-2014, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Red Wagon
You've been busy.

What kind of axle will you go after?
I'm just planning on getting whatever's new (not a reman) at a local store like Advance or O'reilly's. I was looking in to the lifetime warranties, but they don't cover off-road use and I think I'd look suspicious when I roll up with a broken axle and rock-rash on my bumpers.

I'm fine with swapping in the $60 OEM style replacements for now. I've lasted a year and a half without breaking one, and I'm hoping to be SAS in a couple years anyway. $60 a "pop" isn't that bad.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have two cv axles I just pulled out of my truck (doin an SAS) I'll give them to you if you pay shipping. Should fit in a flat rate box.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by PayneInTheYota
I have two cv axles I just pulled out of my truck (doin an SAS) I'll give them to you if you pay shipping. Should fit in a flat rate box.
Whoa, that's awesome. Let's take this to PMs.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:07 PM

Here's where I broke the axle. As always, the video doesn't do anything justice!

Old 05-26-2014, 08:53 PM

I sent you a PM I don't know if it went through I'm on mobile and it does weird stuff.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:12 AM

Nice one Payne!

I've been happy with all my Napa CV shafts. No idea how I've not broken one yet.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:43 AM

Here's the full video from the trip.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:58 PM

At 8 minutes roughly I bet he was clenching.
Old 05-31-2014, 05:56 AM

Looks like you were all having some fun! I really like all the work you've done with your truck
Old 06-02-2014, 11:26 AM

Thanks!

We did a little tooling around in a creek bed yesterday. My friend shot this video and accidentally sent it to me in slow motion. It's kind of mesmerizing.

I made it up by turning hard-passenger right after he turned off the camera.

Old 07-07-2014, 12:41 PM

On my last trip out to Hidden Falls I was backing off of a ledge and I guess a rock caught my exhaust. It bent it back and I drove over it as I backed up. It broke the mounts off of the exhaust and broke the weld at the front of the muffler. I'm trying to figure out a better way to route the pipe so it doesn't hang down as low, and I'm trying to find a decent shop in Austin that can bend a new pipe and hopefully salvage this muffler. The system is fine as-is and I don't want to drop a ton of money getting all new stuff.

Hidden Falls Trip June 2014 by Ocell, on Flickr

Hidden Falls Trip June 2014 by Ocell, on Flickr

Quick Reply: Ocell's 88 4Runner build thread