86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Ocell's 88 4Runner build thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 12:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Doesn't look like I'm going to fit any larger tires without trimming the front fenders:

Old 08-11-2013, 01:27 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Great work! Great vids. And HECK YAH THAT KID ROCKS THE ROCKS! Hehe. .. What a cool lil buhgger!
Old 08-11-2013, 01:28 PM

Let me guess, on that last picture right before my post, you didn't happen to get any pictures up front did you?
Old 08-11-2013, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Let me guess, on that last picture right before my post, you didn't happen to get any pictures up front did you?
That's a screenshot from the video so I don't have a view from the front, unfortunately.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:12 PM

I hear ya, great shot though. Usually works out that way anyway, all the best shocked you could possibly get never get taken because you're in the middle of something scary or at least where you have to pay attention, hahaha I'm really stoked for you that you're getting away and having fun! Thanks for the pictures as my life isn't allowing it at the moment so I get to live vicariously through you and others! I did get to test some things out down the street now so I will be posting up some pictures and the Flex not even pushed nearly all the way is incredible!
Old 08-11-2013, 03:16 PM

Yeah, exactly! My Runner has gone through stuff so much more extreme than I have pictures or video of, because I was plenty busy making sure I didn't roll or crunch! I'm glad I can help you live vicariously a bit. I've been living vicariously through you when it comes to upgrades and building the truck up.

But speaking of upgrades... I'm about to put on my dirt clothes and get under the Runner to install my Budbuilt cross member.

Every time you post a new flex shot I can see it's going further and further. I can't wait to see it when you're on the bump stops!
Old 08-11-2013, 03:18 PM

Glad I can help as well... Well, I guess sometimes it's not much of a help when I get you to spend money! Lol. From what I've heard that cross member can be a real p.i.t.a to get up there... Make sure you have the time and can be down in case you run into some problems.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:43 PM

What kind of problems have you seen people run in to?

I removed and reinstalled the factory cross member a few weeks ago, and that was a real PITA getting it mounted to the frame on both sides. BUT the Budbuilt unit is slotted, so I'm hoping it will have enough play for positioning that it should be fairly easy.

And yeah, I haven't driven my truck for a week since I've been trying to break my frozen camber bolt loose before I resort to cutting it out. But now I'm afraid my tie rod ends on my car need attention soon... you can't win sometimes.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:42 PM

Sorry bubba..... I have been fighting a pretty brutal migraine most of the day... It slipped my mind my buddy has a 3rd gen 4 runner... And the crossmember swap with a nightmare from what he told me. 1st gen could be totally different for all I know... Either way it's worth it and those are BA!

My only concern for you would be the cost if you are planning to do dual cases.... But then again, you wouldn't have any problem selling that thing if you did go to dual cases and needed to trade it or get rid of it for the 2x case version!

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-11-2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:10 PM

I hate to hear about the migraine! I battle some nasty head aches pretty often.

I got the old crossmember off and got the new plate version bolted up without any real issues. The thing is so strong looking. I'm looking forward to testing it out. The old crossmember was even more deformed than it was the last time I took it off! I'll get some photos in the morning.

I really don't see myself going to dual cases. Unless that's cheaper than just regearing to 4.7. My real hope is to find a transfer case that already has the 4.7 gears in it for sale sometime. I think I'd be fine with that.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:00 AM

Old:

New:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ocell/9493403043/http://www.flickr.com/photos/ocell/9493403043/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/ocell/, on Flickr

Last edited by Ocell; 08-12-2013 at 08:05 AM.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:30 AM

Received 208 Likes on 146 Posts
Ocell, that cross member looks great...that's on my list of wants. The price is not too bad, $199, the shipping is $40 to my zip...hmmm you got me really wanting one. You're always out wheeling, whereas my poor truck is almost always on pavement.

On that camber bolt, did you try an impact? If that doesn't work, maybe a little heat from a torch will do it. I guess there's bushings in there that you don't wanna melt though now that I think about it.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:41 AM

Thanks! Powder coating adds another $50, so I was in at about $300 all-told. It adds up fast, but I feel better knowing my transfer case is better protected, and I should slide over things that used to hang me up.

I don't have an impact gun, but I know the alignment shop put one to it when I had it in for an alignment and they found out it was frozen. I've been using a cheater bar, but I don't think I have enough room before I hit the ground. I can get it to rotate about 80 degrees before I can't get it to move further.

I've been avoiding the torch because of the bushings as you mentioned. There's a big wheeling trip on Labor Day, so I'm going to leave it alone until after that. Then I'll probably cut it out, or hit it with a torch and get new bushings pressed in.

I've been lucky to be able to get the truck dirty once or twice a month. Every trip I learn SO MUCH. The truck is still more capable than I am, so I'm chasing it and trying to learn.

Last edited by Ocell; 08-12-2013 at 08:42 AM.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:28 AM

Always enjoy reading your posts! You are a positive dude, and even humble! Hahaha... Seriously, lot of people don't like to acknowledge that they have lots/maybe lil to learn in regards to Wheeling.... And then some of them wind up rolling down hills. :eek: lol.... I've been at it off and on 26 years... And I still realize how unpredictable it is and how easily I could lose it. On top of that I just changed everything again.... So of course, its like learning a new rig all over again! Hehe. seriously though, even as we get more more experienced.... I would still always take a spotter if I had one available! Many times we don't have them though right? You are surely getting to know your clearance and everything by now and you seem to be doing alright to me! Little bit crazy on the skinny pedal sometimes but that's normal ... Lol... Just like watching the guy that was at your 6, the one with the kid, who was adorable by the way, and how he walked up and pointed out a rock to use as a staggering step... That's what I'm talking about boooooeyyyy!

Sorry about that stubborn bolt.... Sounds like a real bugger! That's amazing that serious air impact will not bust that loose. If you can get them for you let me know I might have spares. I may not but I very well may... I just have to look. I suggest that you give me a text as a reminder... You do not want but the same damn thing back in there!

As far as the tcase gears,... It really depends on how much variety for selection you want. Having only 4.7 is fine if you don't really ever get up in speed in certain terrain in 4 wheel drive. I use to get up into 5th and 4/low on the 2.28's in the sierras on the iced over stuff on occasions. Not often, but it was nice to have..... I only mention the crossmember because it's totally different for dual cases......which you already know, but in case others might not... One really cool thing is having 2 wheel drive low with the triple six...

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-12-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:04 AM

Thanks Mark!

Of course, right after I put on the plate cross member, Trail Gear puts their dual t-case kit on sale. It looks a lot more straight forward to install than regearing the case to 4.7. And like you mentioned, Mark, it gives you more options than just one slow crawl gear and one 1:1 gear. Oh well, I'm not going to do it right now. But I AM tired of turning my clutch in to smoke.

http://www.trail-gear.com/toyota-tra...se-summer-sale
Old 08-18-2013, 11:34 AM

Haha......Buggers! Lol
Old 08-18-2013, 02:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Installation wise the 4.7 is pretty straight forward becauseyou don’t have to change anything except a gear. The duel case gives more options but there are a lot more modifications necessary. For less than $500.00, the 4.7 gear alone will save your clutch and increase your off road capabilities. Don't buy a Trailgear = Chinese gear, go for the Marlin gears.

I am not knocking split cases I am just saying that they are definitely not the most straight forward way to go.

Last edited by Buck87; 08-18-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:48 PM

Buck, do you have to mess with pressing any bearings on/off of anything for doing a gear swap? I'll do some research on installation. From what I've seen so far, it requires a full tear down of the transfer case so you can modify the housing to fit the bigger gear.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:59 PM

Yes, it gets gutted a bit, lol....., and the housing has to be ground to fit the 4.7's.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:08 PM

When you try to fix one little thing....

So I was soaking and prying and praying on this frozen camber bolt. I figured I would give up for now, and get it drivable for this Labor Day wheelin trip to Hidden Falls, and mess with it again afterward.

I did a quick driveway alignment. I got as much negative camber out of my frozen bolt as I could (it's still positive) and set the other side of the truck to match it. My driver's side wheel points straight, my passenger wheel points inward, hard. Looking at my tie rod adjustment sleeves, they're threaded to different lengths. I guess the alignment shop was trying to compensate for the stuck bolt? I don't know.

So I went to work trying to get the tie rods to match, and I can't break the sleeve free from the inner tie rod on the passenger side. I spent a couple hours on it with no luck. I need to pick up a big pipe wrench and give it another shot.

So right now the truck drives pretty good! The camber's still positive, but it centers itself while driving and keeps in a straight line if I let go of the wheel. The only problem is, the wheel is turned to about 2 O'clock while I'm going in a straight line.

So none of that is stepping in it yet. But... driving the truck today it felt like I forgot to tighten down the camber bolts, or my shocks were coming loose, or something drastic. I think what happened is all that twisting and cranking on the camber bolts finished off my failing control arm bushings. I used to feel thumps on heavy bumps, but now I feel solid thumps in the floor board over all sorts of road surface imperfections.

So now I guess I'm planning on rebuilding the control arms. I'll have to sawzall the frozen camber bolt(s) out and get new bushings pressed in. I'll do lower and upper while I've got it all apart. I'll swap my brake pads (I've already got new pads and soft lines for the front) and get my rotors turned.

Then I was thinking... my bumper and winch have added a bit of weight on the front. I wonder if I should throw in some heavier torsion bars while I've got the upper control arms out. (This is adding up fast.)

This probably sounds like routine maintenance to many of you, but this is a pretty big chunk of work for me. I've got this fear of hitting problem after problem and having it turn in to another month long downtime.

Last edited by Ocell; 08-19-2013 at 08:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Ocell's 88 4Runner build thread