86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Ocell's 88 4Runner build thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 09:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by snowshredder555
Dude!! We all have moments where are head isn't on straight. Thought this really funny cause when I'm welding some times and have to walk away, I shut the shielding gas off. Only to come back and start welding and then start making swisscheese. Doesn't happen so much anymore, but from time to time my head is else where. Nice easy fixes are great though.
I usually leave the gas on for a week and come back to an MT bottle.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Buck87
I usually leave the gas on for a week and come back to an MT bottle.
Ha! That's funny you'd spell empty that way...that's how we write it on the bottle when it's MT. Ha!
Old 02-06-2013, 10:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
MT, that's great.

Well... I found a Spartan auto-locker for a 7.5" Toyota IFS diff on Amazon for $280. I figured, I know I want one... so no reason to wait, right? Ordered.

Hopefully it shows up!
Old 02-06-2013, 10:28 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
NICE QUICK WORK of that wish list item! Impressed! Cant wait for the stories to follow!
Old 02-08-2013, 01:44 PM

Nothing new, but this morning I got a decent pic with both bumpers on and painted.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:56 PM

Hey broi was reading through all ur thread and I gotta say I love ur truck I have a 88 under construction ha! But I'm getting there almost done
Old 02-13-2013, 05:38 PM

^ Thanks!

My auto locker is taking forever to ship, so I got itchy.

I ordered the HD Shift Lever Ball Seat and shift lever socket from Marlin Crawler. My shifter seems pretty sloppy... I'm hoping for a big difference, and an excuse to turn some wrenches.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:14 AM

When you get that Aussie installed you should drive up to Utah or New Mexico and tell me how it does in the snow, thanks After you said Aussie I started doing some research and have found multiple threads discussing snow and ice behaviors and there are more positive than negative reviews so I think I might try it out, it's half the price of the Eaton TrueTrac I wanted so it's already looking better haha
Old 02-14-2013, 07:17 AM

Not sure I can make that trip any time soon... but I'll keep you posted!

I also got a Spartan instead of an Aussie. I think it's even cheaper.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Ocell
I also got a Spartan instead of an Aussie. I think it's even cheaper.
Haha oops, I went back and read the post about a "Spartan for the front." I was way off I'm thinking of an Aussie for the rear.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:53 AM

My tracking finally updated, and it looks like the locker will be delivered tomorrow! I'm hoping to get a little wheelin in tomorrow, one last run with the open front, then I'll try to get it all installed on Sunday.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:24 PM

I had A BLAST wheelin with my buddy John today. I had three friends riding along too, so I got to show them what all the fuss is about.

The rear bumper drags pretty often, and I dropped on to it a couple times, but at least I'm making contact with it and not my body work.

The front bumper took a couple nice drops too... like a champ.

Here's a video.
This is a wall I couldn't do before with the stock bumper and tow hooks. (I never wanted to take them off until I had a bumper with integrated recovery points.)

The first time I tried it I walked right up without an issue. Then I said to my buddy, "Hey, can you get a video of me doing it again?" Of course I'd get my line wrong and get hung up. Oh well, I still get up it eventually!

This is still with all open differentials. The Spartan locker came in today. I'm HOPING I can get it all put together tomorrow... Since I've already dropped the front diff before I should be able to do it this time without spending so much time scratching my head and searching Yotatech.

Last edited by Ocell; 02-16-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:44 PM

You're truck is looking great man!

Sent from my iPhone using YotaTech
Old 02-16-2013, 06:52 PM

Thanks Steven!

Here are some photos... no real action shots, but I got it flexed out again and took a few angles.

The front bump stops weren't touching. I still had a little front shock travel left, but it looked like they might max out on compression before the bumps would hit. I'm not sure... it's hard to tell with all the triangulation going on.

The rear bump stop was touching hard.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ocell/8480989534/http://www.flickr.com/photos/ocell/8480989534/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/ocell/, on Flickr

Last edited by Ocell; 02-16-2013 at 06:56 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:36 AM

Great pics/fun! Rear is doing well, dayummmmm!
Old 02-17-2013, 06:51 PM

I have been looking through your thread for the past few days and i must say what a transformation! Your runner has about everything i'v had in mind for mine and then some. scribed.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by yotagoon
I have been looking through your thread for the past few days and i must say what a transformation! Your runner has about everything i'v had in mind for mine and then some. scribed.
Thanks! I really appreciate that. I grew up in Raleigh, NC. Nice to see another Carolinian.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:47 PM

I'll just be happy when i get my truck running let alone get in the woods and do some wheelin. Looks like texas has some awesome trails trials to offer.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:54 PM

Hey bubba! Thanks for stopping in the build ;-) .....

I'm really excited.on the springs, and I did a good chunk of the 92-95 V6 4Runner master cylinder, dual diaphragm booster, calipers and rotors upgrade...... HOLY CRAPOLI! Just the master and booster alone is night and day!

What again is it u got going on in the rear for suspension, O? Sorry, I could look back just dont have time right this moment.... figured i'd ask for the quickie splainage? Hahaha. Pretty impressive rear flex.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Hey bubba! Thanks for stopping in the build ;-) .....

I'm really excited.on the springs, and I did a good chunk of the 92-95 V6 4Runner master cylinder, dual diaphragm booster, calipers and rotors upgrade...... HOLY CRAPOLI! Just the master and booster alone is night and day!

What again is it u got going on in the rear for suspension, O? Sorry, I could look back just dont have time right this moment.... figured i'd ask for the quickie splainage? Hahaha. Pretty impressive rear flex.
Hah, I don't mind answering if you'll understand that digging back in your thread is a monumental task, so I'll be PMing you more questions in the future.

From what I can tell, it's a stock set up with an add-a-leaf. I can take some pics of the shackles and leaf pack and post them to be sure. The shackles aren't greasable, I know that for sure.

I'm pretty happy with the rear!

I got the Spartan auto-locker installed in my front diff today. That was kinda nerve racking, but everything is looking good. The front diff was so much easier to drop this time because...
1. I knocked the studs out of the CV axle flanges and replaced them with bolts/nuts.
2. I've done this recently so I know what I'm doing, and everything isn't rusted together.

I ran out of light and energy today. I'm hoping I can get a friend to help me bench-press the diff back in to place early this week.

I'll post a few random photos of the locker install tomorrow. It won't be a step-by-step... There are plenty of those already (thankfully).

Quick Reply: Ocell's 88 4Runner build thread