truck looks badass
Old 02-02-2013, 10:41 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Love it! Looks great! All of it!
Old 02-03-2013, 10:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Love it! Looks great! All of it!
Put it in the books guys... here's the shortest post ever by ChefYota4x4.

Thanks guys!
Old 02-03-2013, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by snowshredder555
HMMM...a Lincoln 140a?? I'm going to assume the tube on the bumper is at least .120"....hopefully he had the heat turned all the way up? I've welded many sliders to the frame rails but that's with a 220v welder. Not doubting he's a competent welder, just hope that 110v welder was adequate. Any how, your armor seems to be coming together quickly and the 4Runner's looking good man...also, it's nice to have a friend who knows how to weld too. I wish I had half the time you do to work on mine....keep it going.
Yeah, we had some trouble penetrating the bumper tube for the tack welds, but once we got it all back off the truck he seemed to do alright with the full welds.

Yeah, I'm very fortunate to have a couple friends willing to help me out with this stuff. I want to get some welding equipment myself, but it's down the road on my priorities.

Thanks!
Old 02-03-2013, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU

Bah 110-220, Little guy will still blow holes in stuff just might take him longer

Show yer buddy jeff some love man, HF will hook him up for 25$ or less with some proper protection. He's looking kinda miserable under there, sure he was grinning just the same anyways Oh whats this I spoted a glove in a picture. Did you have to make him wear his gear so we didn't tease?
At least Jeff had gloves and a full mask, right? But yeah, next time I'll make a stop at HF and pick up a few items. But hey, he only caught on fire a couple times.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
Not sure if Brown droped you stuff, they need to relevel the fab table, or it's just the photo angles. Left side looks closer to the body by a lot to me. Also wish it followed the body line abit better on the lower tube. Looks kind of saggy.
I think it was just those photos making it look uneven, but I agree that it was saggy.

Using the Hi-lift to tweak it up with force before fully tightening the bolts really helped. Here's how it looks today.

Now I'm scheming the best way to paint the bumper while it's still on the truck. I REALLY don't want to take it back off. I bust at least two knuckles open every time I have to bolt/unbolt it. These locking nuts are ridiculous.

Last edited by Ocell; 02-03-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:54 AM

Hahaha,Hey, I don't mean to clog up anyone thread, lol. Just love sharing, he he
Old 02-03-2013, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ocell

Put it in the books guys... here's the shortest post ever by ChefYota4x4.

Thanks guys!
AHAHA!! is he okay?

Sent from my iPhone using YotaTech

Last edited by StewsRunner; 02-03-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:33 PM

Ok, now I gunna tell my big sister on u guys! Haha. Jk blah blah blahhhhhh :p
Old 02-03-2013, 07:33 PM

Are you planning on welding the bumper to your frame for better recovery?
Old 02-03-2013, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by StewsRunner
Are you planning on welding the bumper to your frame for better recovery?
Yeah, just did that a few posts ago.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...l#post52036229
Old 02-03-2013, 09:25 PM

I'm considering welding mine to the frame but I know as soon as I do I'll end up bending the bumper and needing to grind it off. It would definitely make me feel better about recovery and towing though.... Decisions, decisions

Sent from my iPhone using YotaTech
Old 02-04-2013, 12:05 AM

I guess I misspoke. The main part of my bumper is still bolted in. The support legs on the sides are welded to the bumper and the frame in two halves with a flange that bolts them together. I can still take the thing off.

I don't think it's going anywhere during a recovery.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:27 AM

Are the bolts ratchet tight or impacted down? I think i'm gonna use your Hi-Lift method on my front and rear bumpers as well as an impact gun to make sure they're on there!

I asked Trail-Gear what the consequences of recovery are on the bumper and they said 1) it could be pulled left or right, depending on where you start pulling or 2) you can pull the bolts right through the slot and out comes your bumper. That seems unlikely unless you're beyond axle deep in the mud and getting a 1/2 running start on the recovery strap.

CDN Smoke Jumper's bumper looks like an example of what could happen but he couldn't remember of he had fallen on a rock or pulled on it too hard. . Sorry to use you as an example
Old 02-04-2013, 05:32 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Hi Lift into place and then weld on the side support legs.

No need to weld the rear bumper itself on as the rear portion of the frame supports a trailer hitch with 4 bolts so you are good.

If you are concerned about recovery, invest in a snatch block and some tree savers as those help you get straight pulls which are always better.

Front bumper? I like to reinforce the front area by plating it then after bolting on tack weld the bumper on if its going to see a winch.

Looks good

:wabbit2:
Old 02-04-2013, 03:31 PM

Thanks Wabbit

Lately I've noticed a loss of power, horrible fuel mileage, and rough idle. Just now I popped the hood to check the oil, make sure the spark plug wires are secure, etc.

When I painted the front I shoved a plastic shopping bag up the intake pipe to keep water and paint out. Guess what I forgot to remove when I was done?

I've been driving around with a clogged intake for a week. I feel like an idiot, to say the least. But I'm also relieved that I don't have a real issue on my hands. (The only issue I have is in my brain apparently.)
Old 02-04-2013, 03:44 PM

Love the honesty in sharing it! Good catch, Ocell. U know off hand what the total weight of both bumpers is? My sliders are heaaaaaavy, so curious.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You have to do better than that to stop a 22re.
Just don't forget the coolant.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Love the honesty in sharing it! Good catch, Ocell. U know off hand what the total weight of both bumpers is? My sliders are heaaaaaavy, so curious.
I'm not sure how much they weigh... I'll see if I still have the shipping papers in the garage and let you know. Neither Addicted or Trail Gear list weights on their website.

I'll be watching your thread for slider install details. I think that's my next thing.

I did NOT want to remove and reinstall the rear bumper again, so I wrapped the truck in plastic and painted it while installed.

I ran to Wal-mart to grab some stuff tonight and decided to back in to my parking spot. I'm glad I got the bumper installed... I smacked a concrete pillar on the passenger rear corner pretty good. The bumper works great! (poser rock rash)
Old 02-04-2013, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Ocell
Thanks Wabbit

Lately I've noticed a loss of power, horrible fuel mileage, and rough idle. Just now I popped the hood to check the oil, make sure the spark plug wires are secure, etc.

When I painted the front I shoved a plastic shopping bag up the intake pipe to keep water and paint out. Guess what I forgot to remove when I was done?

I've been driving around with a clogged intake for a week. I feel like an idiot, to say the least. But I'm also relieved that I don't have a real issue on my hands. (The only issue I have is in my brain apparently.)
Dude!! We all have moments where are head isn't on straight. Thought this really funny cause when I'm welding some times and have to walk away, I shut the shielding gas off. Only to come back and start welding and then start making swisscheese. Doesn't happen so much anymore, but from time to time my head is else where. Nice easy fixes are great though.

Quick Reply: Ocell's 88 4Runner build thread