86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Ocell's 88 4Runner build thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 07:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Buck87
I put a selectable ARB 4.88 in the rear and an Aussie 4.88 in the front and manual hubs. The manual hubs makes the front essentially selectable, and more dependable.
Having the locker in the front accomplishes 3 things:
1) 4 wheels of traction will make you more capable on trails
2) 4 wheels locked distributes the load to all 4 wheels reducing the chance of breaking parts.
3) With an IFS you will have less front wheel contact with the earth so when one wheel is in the air you will still have traction from the other one if you have a locker. For this reason I believe that it is more important to have front lockers in the front on an IFS than on SAS.
Yeah, that's my thinking as well, as far as getting one in the front. Thanks for the feedback.

Did you install the Aussie yourself? Is it as involved as installing new gears in a carrier?

Buying one new for $300 and installing in to my perfectly good and correctly geared 4.88 V6 front diff would be cheaper than buying the prebuilt unit, but if I have to buy a bunch of speciality tools and spend a ton of time on it the price difference gets wiped out.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:53 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got mine used and set up in the pumpkin, so there was no set up or break in and installation was a breeze. I got the whole front end from a friend who converted to SAS. $500.00 included the whole front end including: differential with Aussie locker 4.88, roters, HD steering damper, a-arms, and Aisin manual hubs.
I removed the old differential from flange to flange leaving the cv joints and putting in the whole assembly including the housing. I personally would not attempt to set up my own gears. When I bought the ARB for the rear it came all set up from Marlin and went in very easy, then I had to build an on board air system. The air cost less than $200-00 dollars complete with a cheap compressor and 3 gallon aluminum tank.
If you are re-gearing you need to do the rear as well. The rear is where I spent the most money so that I could have selectable back there. Having selectable was not as important in the front because I have manual hubs.

Last edited by Buck87; 01-27-2013 at 08:55 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:02 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Ocell
Yeah, that's my thinking as well, as far as getting one in the front. Thanks for the feedback.

Did you install the Aussie yourself? Is it as involved as installing new gears in a carrier?

Buying one new for $300 and installing in to my perfectly good and correctly geared 4.88 V6 front diff would be cheaper than buying the prebuilt unit, but if I have to buy a bunch of speciality tools and spend a ton of time on it the price difference gets wiped out.
It is my understanding (according to there web site) that if you are not re gearing the diff then it is pretty easy. That is why they call it a lunch box locker because you throw it in and close the lid. Since you have a v6 diff for $300.00 more you will have a very good set up. I assume that you have already changed to manual hubs.

Last edited by Buck87; 01-27-2013 at 09:04 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:22 AM

It is my understanding (according to there web site) that if you are not re gearing the diff then it is pretty easy. That is why they call it a lunch box locker because you throw it in and close the lid. Since you have a v6 diff for $300.00 more you will have a very good set up. I assume that you have already changed to manual hubs.
Sorry to make you repeat yourself earlier. I couldn't tell if you meant you got a used locker and put it in your pumpkin, or if you got it all prebuilt. We're on the same page now! Thanks for elaborating.

Yeah, I've already got V6 thirds with the factory 4.88 gears installed, so I don't need to regear. If it really is that easy to install a lunchbox locker, then I don't see the need to buy one prebuilt.

The truck came with manual hubs, so I'm good there.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:20 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey Guys, .... all this talk of Lunchboxes has me salivating! lol.

Yeah, my comment was somewhat vague, Mr. O, .... sorry. When I mentioned the guys that say, "I don't see the problem", ... I was basically mentioning what Matt said about "When my Manual Locking Hubs aren't locked... there's no worry of chattering in turns, etc., around town, because they're not engaged."....

I would love to have them front and rear, to be honest, ...but my inability to get out there much the last couple years..., combined with the fact that old Ruby-Red did great with just the rear locker..., therein further combined with the recent year of unforeseen expenses..., well, they've all simply kept me from biting that bullet. YOU, however, have been able to wheel as much in several weeks as I have in the last couple years lol... JK, I'm really STOKED for ya, and I enjoy watching!

I didn't mean to discourage ya on that, and I'm sure I didn't, lol....

I'm also considering(as always) whether to SAS this girl or not. The bottom line, most people spend around 3K to do it fairly nice, and even more to do it SICK! lol... I just can't justify that. BUT, another 300$ to have another Spartan(like I have in rear) or even Yukon or Aussie up front, .... it's not that intimidating of a thought. While there are often IFS 4.56 or 4.88's for sale, solo, or even both front and rears.... They don't seem to have lockers up front most often.... By then, guys decide to go SAS or they're just changing gears as they go bigger with LT or whatever. I LOVE the Spartan.... BUT, I hate the 'POPPPPPPPPPP!', and chuggachuggachugga-herkyjerky around the turns in town at times... Gotta say! lol. So, DEFINITELY would have rather have gotten an Elocker in the rear....But ya know, when you get gears and a practically new Locker front and rear for 225$? YEAH, that's what I said, lol. I wish I could just slap the Spartan in front and grab an Elocker, eventually, for the rear(not wanting OBA, plain and simple... Not yet anyhow, hahaha)..

Seeing what SoCal85toyota has accomplished, with ride comfort, with his SAS...... I'm just really having a hard time making a decision, as I really miss having a SFA.... And yet again, I'd not have been using it that much, up to this point. BUT NOW, I'm going to have much more time for wheeling locally, so I want to keep moving forward to make Ruby the girl I always wanted.... "A Half Beast, low as possible SAS on 33x10.50's, VERY capable, Nice Armor and Winch(not totally opposed to a 9K# Badland for 300$), 4.88's and either a 3RZ, 1UZ or 7MGE (likely the first as it's plenty of power and mileage to boot.... I just don't NEED to go that fast any more... I just wanna get there, RELIABLY, and have an easy to work on motor, ya know? ) The motor swap would likely wait a WHILE, as I've just barely broken this motor in, and it's SOLID, and very quick for a 22RE, with plenty of 65mph up the Grapevine or Cahon Pass(BAAAAAAD, LONGGGGG HILLS, in CA, lol).... whereas I used to get up it at 45mph, if lucky, while banging on the dash! lol....(sorry Ruby, don't mean to laugh at ya!) hehe.

Sorry for rambling on YOUR thread, lol.... I apologize... I just wanted to bring out that I know what you mean about NOT SURE, just yet, which direction I'm going... "FULL ON OUT THERE" or "CAPABLE, PRACTICAL AND REASONABLE IN COST".... If you're going for "PLENTY Capable for IFS, 'FOR NOW', and then eventually selling it all and going SAS'sy RIG, within a couple years, ..... and you're in good fiscal shape for all the goodies, ...and you're having SO MUCH FUN with it all... WHY NOT!??!?!?! WOOT! lol.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:05 PM
Contributing Member

Just to reemphasise...
I forgot that you had a v6 diff with 4.88. Since your shims and backlash are already good they say you can add the locker with the same gears without any special tools or know how. for $300.00 it will be a good set up. My next upgrade will be 4.7 gear in the transfer case and duel shifters, and a motor cycle.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:32 PM

Just to reemphasise...
I forgot that you had a v6 diff with 4.88. Since your shims and backlash are already good they say you can add the locker with the same gears without any special tools or know how. for $300.00 it will be a good set up. My next upgrade will be 4.7 gear in the transfer case and duel shifters, and a motor cycle.
Awesome, I think that's the route I want to go for now.

Mark,
No apology needed! I appreciate that you're dropping in and sharing your thoughts. It's all relevant. I really appreciate it.

I think my mod for Feb will be a front autolocker.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Glad you're loving the rig! .... I enjoy reading your thread, man.. , largely because of that passion you have for it
Hah, I really appreciate that. I'm sure I post a lot of stuff that seems pointless or redundant, but I want to share what I'm excited about. And as someone new to all of this, I get excited about a lot of small details.

Right now my near-future thoughts are...
- Sliders
- Front locker
- 33" tires
- Straight headers
- Somehow fix all my oil leaks

Then I think I'll be good for a while, until I decide that SAS is the next step I need to make.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:46 PM

My focus today was finishing up the front bumper install. I needed to clean up the welds for the reinforcement plate, then tear down the front end, clean all the mud up, and get all the exposed guts painted. I painted it all with black bed liner to match the rest of the truck. I also tried to run some tidy wiring for the turn signals with heat-shrink and disconnects.

Gross:

This thing used to be white... so I wanted to hit as much of the front as possible.

Paint it Black

It already looks better before the bumper even goes back on.

I'll grab a day-time after photo in the morning, but here's a dark shot... still missing the turn signals.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 87 has an ARB in the back and a Detriot Tru-Trac in the front. I have seen others using the Tru-Trac as well. Unfortunately I can't provide details on performance yet, haven't taken it wheeling yet as I just got it a couple weeks ago.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:28 PM

That sounds like a perfect setup, Ctenosaurian.

My buddy has one of these stickers on the rear window of his 4Runner. I think I may have to copy him and mount it in the corner of the windshield.

http://www.amazon.com/Zombie-Hunting.../dp/B005JPNXC8
Old 01-28-2013, 11:05 PM

Haa.... Hey, what Horn ya got there? Did I miss that? (probably already commented on it! lol.... Dang OMD[Old Man Disease] is coming on fast! hehe)

Wow, honest, that looks really good. I'm still trolling CL for a bumper, .... but it's just not paying off, haha... Ebay too... just for the heck of it. I REALLY like that bumper, OCell... Just really like the CBI and a couple others, too... IT'S SUCH A HARD DECISION! lol... My sliders are going on soon, VERY excited... What route are you going with those? I grabbed the 4xi w/Kickout... Going with Hammered Black most likely... Can't wait! Maybe next weekend!

I've also been SO temped, for years, to do the SAS... but I've had a LOT of fun with this, mega travel bj's, BJ spacers, Zuks in the rear and the Spartan Locker... Enough that I'd probably go 1UZ or 3RZ before I ditch the IFS, haha. Either one is a big commitment.... Both around the same monetary investment.... Just what do I want more, right? Throaty V8 or 2.7 with more power and mileage? >>>>OR a SAS'sy Beast/Casual Crawler..... I gotta tell ya, I REALLY lean toward 'motor', every time, even though I have the newer 22RE/Built up pretty decent/95+MPH on the HWY... OHHHHH, the choices, right? haha... So many things to pour money I shouldn't really spend into!

You're doing a really nice job with it, Dr. O! lol.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:49 AM
Contributing Member

I've also been SO temped, for years, to do the SAS... but I've had a LOT of fun with this, mega travel bj's, BJ spacers, Zuks in the rear and the Spartan Locker...
I'm confused about the bj spacers. What do they do? Lift without stiffening up the front by torquing the bars?
Are the bars splined? If so why not re index them one notch to gain ride height if lift is needed.
If they can give me more wheel travel then I need to know more.
PS I have 33" tires under my truck with out any front suspension lift. I do have 1" body lift and minor fender trim

I love my selectable locker in the rear, but that is some money. I think my ARB cost about $1700.00 installed including ring and pinyon installed, and on-boardboard air with a nice tank so that I can refill my tires on the trail. I say start with the inexpensive front locker first if you cant do the rear also because when that front wheel comes off of the ground with a locker you will still have traction in the other wheel.

Last edited by Buck87; 01-29-2013 at 05:50 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:24 AM

Haa.... Hey, what Horn ya got there? Did I miss that? (probably already commented on it! lol.... Dang OMD[Old Man Disease] is coming on fast! hehe)

Wow, honest, that looks really good. I'm still trolling CL for a bumper, .... but it's just not paying off, haha... Ebay too... just for the heck of it. I REALLY like that bumper, OCell... Just really like the CBI and a couple others, too... IT'S SUCH A HARD DECISION! lol... My sliders are going on soon, VERY excited... What route are you going with those? I grabbed the 4xi w/Kickout... Going with Hammered Black most likely... Can't wait! Maybe next weekend!

I've also been SO temped, for years, to do the SAS... but I've had a LOT of fun with this, mega travel bj's, BJ spacers, Zuks in the rear and the Spartan Locker... Enough that I'd probably go 1UZ or 3RZ before I ditch the IFS, haha. Either one is a big commitment.... Both around the same monetary investment.... Just what do I want more, right? Throaty V8 or 2.7 with more power and mileage? >>>>OR a SAS'sy Beast/Casual Crawler..... I gotta tell ya, I REALLY lean toward 'motor', every time, even though I have the newer 22RE/Built up pretty decent/95+MPH on the HWY... OHHHHH, the choices, right? haha... So many things to pour money I shouldn't really spend into!

You're doing a really nice job with it, Dr. O! lol.

I'm not sure what horn it is... I didn't pay any attention to it. Is it not stock?

I lurked Craigslist and Ebay for a while too, but nothing came up for bumpers. I got impatient and just decided to buy new.

I'm undecided on sliders right now. I like the 4xi stuff, so I'm anxious to see how they go on your truck. I'm debating whether I should do sliders first, or a locker in the front first...

Seems like you drive your truck on the road enough to justify an engine swap, but you DID just do all of that beautiful work to your 22RE.

Thanks man! Thanks for checking in.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:30 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Ocell

I'm undecided on sliders right now. I like the 4xi stuff, so I'm anxious to see how they go on your truck. I'm debating whether I should do sliders first, or a locker in the front first...
Do both!! For every dollar you spend on traction spend a dollar on armor or recovery.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:34 AM
Contributing Member

^^^^You can have both for about $500.00
I like spending your money. Now I need a front bumper.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:08 AM

Do both!! For every dollar you spend on traction spend a dollar on armor or recovery.
For sure, I'm just undecided on which to do first. Sliders makes more sense, since then I can get the locker and really use it... but I don't know if I'm patient enough for that.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:10 AM

Locker up there will LURE you into things for which u will want to have sliders, and if u dont, then u will wind up with 1000$ damage and wont have to worry bout the other bumper or anythong else for a few more paychecks..... Geeesh, consequences can get pricey! Lol
Old 01-29-2013, 09:13 AM

Whats that rule with cooling down reactive acid? Ah yes, AAA....Always Add Acid... we can use this here but for carnage prevention, look. ... AAA, Always Add Armor!
Old 01-29-2013, 07:37 PM

AAA, That's good Mark. I'll keep that in mind.

I'm hoping to put some cash toward a new tool box tower. Trying to find a Craftsman stack in good shape on Craigslist. My situation is getting out of hand.

Look what the UPS man dropped off today:

Quick Reply: Ocell's 88 4Runner build thread