86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Ocell's 88 4Runner build thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 06:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by snowshredder555
Any how, interested in how you like the new tires.??? Do you have any close up's of the seam where they did the retread?
The tires have been great. Much quieter. I'll get a closeup of the seam next time I'm out, but I can say it's pretty clean.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:17 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are several simple things that will affect your rear window: 1)rear wiper not up high enough, 2)bolt missing from the cover top, 3)center switch on the console turned off.;
If the motor does not work with 12 volts directly connected to it then the motor is bad. The FSM has very good trouble shooting instructions.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Buck87
There are several simple things that will affect your rear window: 1)rear wiper not up high enough, 2)bolt missing from the cover top, 3)center switch on the console turned off.;
If the motor does not work with 12 volts directly connected to it then the motor is bad. The FSM has very good trouble shooting instructions.
The top's off so it's not the wiper. I shorted the top-bolt switch so it's not a factor (unless my shorting came undone somehow... I'll check that) and I've removed the center console switch.

Thanks for the reminders.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:24 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Matt is right....... AND, ... take your palm, and open hand slap that biotch-window relay module spot right behind the driver seat/driver side rear panel, just firm enough to cause it to vibrate behind there. It's obviously not mounted to the panel.. BUT, I've freed it up several times over the last year until I fix it(Now that I'm in there a bit, and have cleaned up all the contacts on both sides of the connector/relay module... it's not had a single hiccup since... I think they get oxidized by being exposed to elements, as the bead welds for the panels to chassis are left open... TRUST ME, crap get's in there... Just pull your panels and you'll see)... ANYWHOOOOOOO, just tap on that panel back there a few times, keep trying after each tap. (around a 'smack the dog on the top of the rump affection smack'... not panzy, not "HEY, OUCH!" hahaha)... It's around 8" back from the center of the panel/front most portion of the front-rear panel. I chewed my nails off trying to find a culprit.... Sorry to say, it's often that Relay Module
Old 12-05-2012, 08:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you still haven't gotten it down you can do what I have to do. The relay went out for the PO and she rednecked it up by connecting two wires from a connector in the tailgate to the battery. Pos+pos= down pos+neg= up
Old 12-06-2012, 12:44 PM

Yeah, I was already digging in to the relay module. Looks easy to solder, and from what I've researched, the replacement relays are easy to buy. Thanks for the suggestions and tips, everyone.

Last night I rigged up some cables that plugged in to the motor directly and got the window rolled back down (check out that professional setup below). So, good news is that the motor is still good, so it's probably the relay board. Better news is now I have the window back in the tailgate, so I can ignore the problem for a while.

And I'll be ignoring it because I don't plan on rolling it up in the near future. Last night I finally got my Wabfab bikini top!

Old 12-06-2012, 11:23 PM

HEYYYYYYY, now THAT, My friend, is some fancy Redneck'n going on there!

hehe.... Nice P.O.E., buddy , no kid'n.

PLEASE do a nice write up if you rebuild that board... with PICSSSSSSSSSS! lol... Seriously though... PICS! haha.

I have 2 spares..... 2 people been on me like a wet blanket about giving them up, lol... BUT, they still might need 'touching up', yeah?
Old 12-10-2012, 02:28 PM

I went out to a creek bed with another first-gen 4Runner-er this weekend. I learned a lot more about driving the truck, and also had a good spot to flex it out. The rear was actually hitting the bump-stop this time. I forgot to get some good shots of clearances on the front. I'm pretty happy with how the rear wheel is stuffing in that fender.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ocell/8261192097/http://www.flickr.com/photos/ocell/8261192097/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/ocell/, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ocell/8261198499/http://www.flickr.com/photos/ocell/8261198499/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/ocell/, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ocell/8261201635/http://www.flickr.com/photos/ocell/8261201635/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/ocell/, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ocell/8261203247/http://www.flickr.com/photos/ocell/8261203247/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/ocell/, on Flickr

Last edited by Ocell; 12-10-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:40 AM

Looking GREAT, dudah! Seriously... it's hitting the max of what it's capable of(much can limit or hinder that)... and the stuffage looks pretty decent, wow! Wish you had a pic of the stuff at a different angle.... like from straight from the side, to see how much of the tire is actually up in there. Again, it looks great, man..... Nice rig, you're doing a great job at this transformation into what you want!
Old 12-11-2012, 08:36 AM

Thanks Mark! I'm pretty happy with it right now. Once I get some bumpers and sliders on it, I think I'll be done building on it for a while.

I'm a bit nervous that I won't have as much play money to spend on it soon, anyway. I autocrossed my Prelude this weekend, and I think I've found a new addiction/money-sink. First step is some sticky tires.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:46 AM

Oh noooooooo! ...............

"Yep, ..... Ocell? Oh yeah, he's done for.... sunk 20K into his Prelude and now lives in a tent in his friends backyard". hehehee... JK. But yes, IT WILL get out of control if you're not careful... lol. Looks like fun, man!
Old 12-11-2012, 08:54 AM

Hah! I'm hoping to stay in stock class so my only expense will be tires... but I was also originally just looking for a decent truck to haul mountain bikes in....
Old 12-11-2012, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Ocell
... but I was also originally just looking for a decent truck to haul mountain bikes in....
.................SEE?

Jk,.... looks like fun, I mean that.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:17 AM

My driver's side wheel has been making a horrible noise when I'm at full driver's side lock and flexing the suspension. I always assumed it was the tire hitting the pinch weld, but I hammered it back and the noise was still there. Then it started happening with small movement in the suspension. I think I've figured out what it is... it's the bolt that sets the extent of your steering.

I had noticed that it was polishing the stop it hits, but now you can see there's a good bit of material missing. Also, that bolt looks pretty crooked in that nut and hole. Any easy fix here? I saw the rubber caps for sale somewhere.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:26 AM

That is a VERY commonly missed 'routine maintenance' procedure...

1. Open Good Quality Red or other Thick Grease Package

2. Apply Grease to tip of Rubber/Plastic Stopper and Stop itself, LIBERALLY

3. Enjoy 'POPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP----"OH CRAP, WHAT WAS THAT" '- free driving from thereon out!

4. In all seriousness... You'll likely have to find a replacement rubber/plastic piece that goes over the end of that bolt head... It slips over it like a clutch or brake pedal rubber would...TIGHTLY, lol. It's like a hard, yet mildly pliable rubberish PLASTIC piece.... Yours fell off and probably got bent due to you, well, maybe "hitting a ditch or something pretty hard, with all the weight coming down on that side of the stop as you hit the bottom before then heading out of said hypothetical ditch? " lol.... Mine are a lil 'cracked' on the corners too... BUT, not bent... So I would get that pic to the parts dept of www.dealerdirectparts.com , WHILE you're speaking with them on the phone... And/or speak with your local dealer, explain the part, then get the part number from them. (My guess is the bolt with stopper on the end is one piece... I think it's 'fixed' on there at the factory. My other guess would be 12$ or so?)

Best wishes, bud.... KILL IT! lol.

PS> Not sure why it bent like that... other than what I said... OR, maybe the locking nut on the back(if that's how it's fixed) has come loose and allowing it to come free from the knuckle bracket.... Look on the back and take a pic for us, k?
Old 12-12-2012, 11:53 AM

Ugh, since I thought it was just the tire rubbing I'd power through the sound. Thus, a bent up bolt. I hope I can get it out without damaging whatever threading it's going in to.

Thanks for the thoughts.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:12 PM

This is what I was looking for. A bit pricey at $30...

[Update] Ordered. I got the black ones that are UV resistant.[/Update]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/86-95-TOYOTA...1959b7&vxp=mtr

Last edited by Ocell; 12-12-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks good , how do you like the bikini top ?
Old 12-13-2012, 10:07 AM

"OOOOOOH, ...sexy, shiny Toyota Parts Fun Tiiiiiiiiiiime!!" hahaha ..... That's my Chinese Game Show reaction hehe.

I feel ya... 30$ ... BUT, ...... how long did they last?...... Honestly just amazed at how long this crap lasts.... I had friends in the 80's and 90's with S10 PU's and Blazers..... Crap was falling off within MONTHS of buying them brand new... Window handles, molding in the rear.... TERRIBLE quality compared to our stuff.

PS> The latter reminds me... I saw this sticker I want... It says, "RE-Made in the USA!" Lots of Japanese Performance stuffs are now made in the USA.... so I guess this guy thought about how much is going back into OUR country with parts he grabs from US Manufactures and purveyors... AND the Local Parts Stores... AND the local machinists... etc.

Hope you're doing well, buddy.... Keep up the great work.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Richard
Looks good , how do you like the bikini top ?
I'm really liking it so far. It makes a huge difference with wind while driving. Without it, it's strong wind coming from the back up in to the cab. With the soft top on, it's more of a gentle breeze, even at 70mph. The shade is nice too.

The only downfall is that it makes it much more difficult for passengers to climb in to the back seats. I don't see a way around that... but without the top stepping on the rear tire and stepping in is SO easy.

Quick Reply: Ocell's 88 4Runner build thread