86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Ocell's 88 4Runner build thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 12:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
32x11.50x15 BFG Mudkings on 15x8" Outlaw 2's with backspacing that pushes them out a bit.... No body lift, 2.5"(maybe 2", I need EXACT stock measurements to know... but was sagging so long, ya know? lol) with Zuk 12"x125# coils... And up front, 1.5" BJ spacers and relaxed TBAR's a lil bit..... And I do rub with the 32's ONLY "IN FULL TURN"(seems like most often to the right) ANDDDDD, when heading down on a hill or something, into a turn(like a wheeling situation or a nasty driveway entry at full turn). And it's rubbing is on the edges of the fender skirt.... It's like around the 1st bolt up from the mudflap/fender skirt mounting bolt... that area....

Those 32's look sick. I like the 31's too.

My 32's hit the pinch welds at full lock. I need to knock them back before the trip out to Hidden Falls this weekend and see if I'm rubbing anywhere else. I'm expecting a lot more travel now that my sway bar is off of the front. Your front flex looks great in your shots.

I bought a second tow hook for the front this weekend. When I took the rear bolt out of the tie-down loop to install it, the bolt stripped itself, leaving the threads in the mounting hole. I guess I'll see if I can get a tap to chase the threads and clean them up, but I'm a bit worried about whether the tool costs will be worth it. (It was only a $9 hook)

Last edited by Ocell; 11-05-2012 at 02:28 PM. Reason: I typed torsion, I meant sway!
Old 11-05-2012, 12:54 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
I have 2 hooks up front, TOO, .........BROTHER! hehehe.

Hmmmmmmm, .... you could chase it and then return it? Not sure, man... that's HARD steel... BUT, never as hard as a drill and threader bit, lol. Can't remember, ...but can you put a nut on from the top? Why even bother threading it if so... ya know? Maybe you could just drill it out, drop a bolt from the top/down, then lock nut it from the bottom? It'd be plenty secure(if it's possible of course... I'm not looking at mine, so I can't say, sorry).
Old 11-05-2012, 12:56 PM

PS> Sorry,... I meant to say, ''THANKS, MAN!" that made my day! haha...

BTW, I also meant to mention.... I have Downey / 555 Sankai Mega Travel Upper Ball Joints, too. I think they allow a lil bit more... But the t-bars is really what limits us, ya know? Did you say you're going to drive without them? I must have read that wrong.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 11-05-2012 at 02:12 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:52 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I made an erroneous statement and they took away the post delete button; so now I can't cover my tracks.

Last edited by Buck87; 11-05-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:13 PM

BTWx2.... HOW YOU DOING, MATT? Hope all is well up norte! Hot as heck fire here today! 92*F hehehe... November in L.A.... always like Summer in Iowa! haha.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:29 PM

PS> Sorry,... I meant to say, ''THANKS, MAN!" that made my day! haha...

BTW, I also meant to mention.... I have Downey / 555 Sankai Mega Travel Upper Ball Joints, too. I think they allow a lil bit more... But the t-bars is really what limits us, ya know? Did you say you're going to drive without them? I must have read that wrong.
Oh man, I meant sway bar!

Driving without the torsion bar, that'd be a trick!
Old 11-05-2012, 02:37 PM

Hahaha... you'd be like a lowrider movie! Honestly, that's what happens... you just bounce like a lowrider uncontrollably... even if they're still in and you've relaxed them to beyond the bolt limit... They will bounce about 8 times on every bump! hahaha.

I hear ya... removed the sway LONG time ago... Still have it, and all new bushings... BUT, don't need it, and don't need a 100$ sway away kit either(nothing against them... just unecessary IMHO)>>> UNLESS you carry a heavy trailer, etc.... the it's good to keep em around!
Old 11-05-2012, 02:40 PM

I've been driving without the Zuk mod for a while now, and I have to say... I don't see any squat at all (at least without the top on.) I'm starting to wonder if I've already got a small lift in my leaf pack. Things look perfectly level even with the BJ spacers up front.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:57 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Ocell
Oh man, I meant sway bar!

Driving without the torsion bar, that'd be a trick!
Ha Ha Ha The reason I wanted to delete my last post is because I thought you were talking about sway bars then I reread and you said "t-bar" so I deleted.

Anyways...The bigger the tires that I run the less I notice not having the sway bars, but I drive it like a lifted truck with no sway bar, not like a big slow sports car.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:35 PM

You probably have an add-a-leaf...... Count em.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:29 PM

You probably have an add-a-leaf...... Count em.
I got back home and had a closer look... You're right. There's a leaf that's thicker metal and darker finish than the rest. I never inspected the pack close enough to notice.

Well that's good, saves me some work. I'm perfectly happy with the ride height as is.

I guess the add a leaf was added early on to get rid of sag, and the Wrangler coils were added again later for lift, maybe even different owners.

Thanks for continuing to humor my noobness!
Old 11-05-2012, 04:53 PM

Haha... no noobness razzing from me, man! People abstained from doing it to me...and you're a nice/appreciated dude... so NO NEED! lol.

What I meant though, literally, was 'COUNT' them... 4 Leaf's in the original pack...... So you're saying you have 5 in there? OR, they removed the original overload leaf and added an aftermarket one(It looks like to you, anyway), right?

A pic of your leaf pack would help... There are clear differences from what might be a totally swapped in new leaf pack, all together, ya know? But SOUNDS like an AAL, at least.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 11-05-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:26 PM

Have a look at this. The bottom flat leaf is an overload leaf, right? Is that counted in the total count? If so, I've got 5 now.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:45 PM

That 4th one down, nice and clean...AAL. See how the tip is pressed against the leaf above? Got a tiny bit of reverse arch right there. You'd have a saggy butt without it.

'89 22RE 4x4 longbed DLX
Sent from my LG-P505 using YotaTech
Old 11-05-2012, 06:58 PM

....... Indeed, he's correct... As are you, Ocell....

Factory pack is 3 leafs and an overload... 4 total. You have 5, and the one Carl mentioned is DEFINITELY the 'added' leaf, lol.

Some don't like em.... In fact, many have taken them out and added a couple leaf's from a rig that will fit, etc... That gives them a LIL more flex back if they are careful to use the longer ones that are NOT meant for 'progressive spring rate' applications(remember what I was saying? Most of these packs are "Progressive", meaning they INCREASE their intensity as they compress)...... I've even gone with a dude, wheeling, that had one and couldn't flex as much as me with my Zuk(you've seen the pics... not bad considering what you've probably heard, right? lol)... BUT I KNOW that a nice 'designed' leaf pack would be even better... which is what I Plan to do
Old 11-06-2012, 07:35 AM

Ok, so a new leaf pack may still be in the cards. I'll see how the add a leaf behaves on the trail this weekend. It's GOT to be better than this with the wrangler springs I got the truck with.

Remember that 3 to 4 week wait for my Treadwright order? I got a call today, and they're shipping today! I went ahead and got two so I'll still have a 100% spare.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:49 AM

GOOD IDEA on the NEW Spare(Or at least solid, verified good by tire shop 'used') idea... I have to have mine mounted.... BEFORE my next trip. DANGIT! lol..... You reminded me of another thing I have to do, haha.

Cool on the spring-thing..... YES, definitely, roll what you have and see what you think. Sounds like you like the street performance of them... THAT'S IMPORTANT TOO! My suspension, front and rear, is VERY solid.... Great for Off road for IFS especially... BUT, it's a lil stiff on the street. The price I pay in part... BUT, I want to shoot for something in the rear that doesn't seem to rattle my kidney's to death, ya know? hahaha. Then again.... I LOVE the weight capacity, Ocell... With the 12"x125# one in there... I've had 600# or so in there a couple times... NO dramatic drop of rear end... LOVE that too... So guess I have to find a happy medium... And NO WAY am I suggesting you go all out and get Allpro or Alcan or Deaver spring leaf packs... As I said, and meant, "If it's workin, ....roll it!"

Funniest thing happened to me yesterday, man! I'll let you see for yourself whenever you have time.(on my build).... Don't need to clutter up here for it, really.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I drive my runner every night to work so I'm wondering if it would be practical to remove my away bar? What's the exact purpose for that again? Better flex? Any pro's/con's u guys notice?
Old 11-07-2012, 07:25 AM

Lol! I meant "sway" bar* ( damn cell phone keypads )
Old 11-07-2012, 09:59 AM

The sway bar helps with roll at speeds, but works against flex. The easiest thing to do is put in quick disconnects so when you hit the trail you disconnect the sway bar and have better flex, then reconnect when you hit pavement and it handles better.

Quick Reply: Ocell's 88 4Runner build thread