86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Ocell's 88 4Runner build thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 04:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks. I had already removed all the studs, I got bolts to replace them. I did end up getting it to clear.

I was having trouble with the driver's side. I was trying all combinations of jacking up the frame, jacking the a-arm, turning the wheels... The right combo was not jacking anything up, wheels are on so the suspension is sitting normal, and I cut the steering all the way to the passenger side.

The passenger side had no problem clearing at all with the steering cut to the drivers side.

The 1" diff drop is spacers that lower the differential to relax the CV joint angle when you've installed BJ spacers or jacked the torsion bars.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good stuff. Wish I had tried turning the wheel. Duh

Last edited by Buck87; 10-20-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:26 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Ahhhh, nice to hear!

I disconnected the lower ball joint and then could turn the brake assembly and hub at will, lol... Funny though... as you pull it outward, from the bottom, it makes the angle a lil difficult to get the splines in past an inch or so of the several inches required... SO, turning the brake and hub assembly by hand, while just lifting a TEENY bit did the trick, lol.

good news
Old 10-22-2012, 08:03 AM

Getting the front differential aligned and raised was a pain, doing it alone. I used two jacks and a jack stand to pivot it up corner by corner. Here's a nice blurry photo:

I got the front put back together and got to drive the truck around a bit this weekend. I think the ride is much smoother without the anti-sway bar installed. I didn't have any handling problems, but I also didn't go faster than 40mph.

I've started on the rear differential and brakes. I can see light at the end of this tunnel.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:12 AM

Great progress, ... keep pluggin, homie!
Old 10-22-2012, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like its coming along nicely! Keep up the good work man!
Old 10-24-2012, 10:30 AM

Sweet lookin' truck man...
Old 10-24-2012, 10:47 AM

Thanks guys! I'm hoping I can knock out the rear diff swap and brake install this weekend. Part of what's taking me the longest right now is finding the free time to get the brake drums to a machine shop to be turned.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:57 PM

Some updates on the rear:

I got both rear axles pulled. When I pulled the passenger side axle out I found a bunch of mud on the end of axle tube and around the bearings.

There was also a bit of this chunky red rust looking stuff on the axle.

When I pulled the driver's side the axle tube end and bearing area were all clean.

I've also noticed that it looks like the passenger axle's bearings are sliding out of the backing plate (possibly?). If I set the axles down standing up on the wheel studs, the backing plate will slide down on the axle/bearings, where the driver's side stays solid.

Passenger:

Driver:

The snap ring and bearing retainer look solid on the axle, so I don't understand what's going on here, but I'm guessing it is related to all the mud I found when I pulled the passenger axle out. Any thoughts?

I'm going to take the axles to my mechanic Monday morning and have the bearings/seals replaced if they are the culprit here. My breather WAS clogged, so I got it cleaned out and reinstalled. I'll do a breather extension soon.

I got the 4.1 geared third pulled out and was able to throw in my new 4.88 third after cleaning up the gasket surfaces. MUCH easier than the front. Wow. Here's a look at the ring gear of the third I took OUT.

While I had the third out, I noticed this patch of rust on the inside of the axle housing. There's no rust on the outside in that spot... how does that happen? I'm guessing the truck sat for a while and without gear oil on the metal the rust just grew.

I'm anxious to get this thing off of jack stands and back on wheels.

Last edited by Ocell; 10-27-2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:16 PM

DUDE, I WANNA 2 WHEELING RUNNER, TOO! hehehe. Nice work, man... seriously impressed. Sorry bout the dirt in the sucker... but you're handling it.

BTW, I think I mentioned this... but those Guard Dawgs look SICK! (they are Threadwrights, right? hehehe).
Old 10-28-2012, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
BTW, I think I mentioned this... but those Guard Dawgs look SICK! (they are Threadwrights, right? hehehe).
Yeah, that's right. Two are getting low on tread and are pretty loud. Sounds like a giant hive of angry bees in the back of the truck. I'm debating between ordering one more of the size I already have (and using the untouched spare) to replace the two, or saving up and ordering a full set of 33" Guard Dogs.

If I'm replacing the full set, though, maybe I'd go with the Wardens since I don't think I'll see much of the mud the Guard Dogs are designed for.

https://www.treadwright.com/p-53-285...den-a-t-d.aspx
Old 10-28-2012, 12:09 PM

Yeah, it's a tough decision. My BFG AT/KO's last set lasted 110K and I still sold the 4 for 150$, lol... They still had a lil tread. Enough to get the guy through a year or so, ya know? Not sure, but I the Wardens are likely the same thing, pretty much. NOT SURE on the 3-ply sidewall though But WOW, what a price, right?
Old 10-28-2012, 01:28 PM

Yeah, it's a tough decision. My BFG AT/KO's last set lasted 110K and I still sold the 4 for 150$, lol... They still had a lil tread. Enough to get the guy through a year or so, ya know? Not sure, but I the Wardens are likely the same thing, pretty much. NOT SURE on the 3-ply sidewall though But WOW, what a price, right?
Chef- Treadwright is a retread company. They strip the actual tread down and apply a new tread compound, leaving the sidewall original. I've had the opportunity to see it first hand...not at Treadwright, but for another retread company in Ca. Pretty cool and they do discard some of the tire's because the sidewall is to beat up or it's just not a good carcus...(spelling) to begin with. The nice thing about Treadwright, you can send em' your old tire's and have them do a re-tread and they'll tell if you if what you sent is good to go or not. This option work's really well if you have a special size or a certain sidewall construction you'd like to keep. It's all at a cost though...but less than a brandnew set of the same tire from the OG mfg.

Ocell- I've looked into a set tires from Treadwright and did some digging...There seems to be a mixed feeling on some of the boards that were linked too as far as time frames and customer service. Seemed like mostly good but then there were some nay-sayer's as well. Please keep us posted on your experience along with what size you went with. I'm thinking about going with a spare set for the trail....but I'll let you go first.

Last edited by snowshredder555; 10-28-2012 at 01:40 PM.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by snowshredder555
Ocell- I've looked into a set tires from Treadwright and did some digging...There seems to be a mixed feeling on some of the boards that were linked too as far as time frames and customer service. Seemed like mostly good but then there were some nay-sayer's as well. Please keep us posted on your experience along with what size you went with. I'm thinking about going with a spare set for the trail....but I'll let you go first.
I've already e-mailed back and forth with their customer service a bit. They were more than happy to let me order a new tire with the same sidewalls as what I have now so everything would match. They said to just call them up and give them all the specifics. I was impressed.

I haven't ordered yet. I'm not in a hurry, so I don't mind if they take a couple weeks or however long, as long as they communicate the timeline correctly.

Last edited by Ocell; 10-28-2012 at 03:46 PM.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:42 PM

If you've emailed em' and are happy with the service so far then that's a good sign. Some of the reviews I've read into state exactly what you're saying so far. Great before and while they take your money but then weeks after, they totally forget who you are. Now I'm not trying to brow beat them, but the one guy had some where around 6 months of communicating before/ during and after he placed his order. In the end, he requested his money back. Solely because of this one review, I went out and spent my money locally. Please don't let me discourage you...infact, do it. If it goes well for you, I may just order a spare set.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:12 PM

That's it, SS555... NO TREADWRIGHT FOR ME! hehehehehe... JK, totally, ... you know that I hope

How you been, btw? Bout to head back out to AZ for Thanksgiving.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:16 PM

That's it, SS555... NO TREADWRIGHT FOR ME! hehehehehe... JK, totally, ... you know that I hope

How you been, btw? Bout to head back out to AZ for Thanksgiving.
PM'd ya.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:24 AM

I asked my mechanic to have a look at my axles this morning. He said that he's seen the same type of play in other axles before, even after having new bearings and seals installed. The play is eliminated when the axles are bolted in to the housing. The inner seals seem to be good, so I'm going to clean things up and install them as is.

I'm going to use some RTV where the axle tube seals against the backing plate. Along with my unclogged breather, I think things will stay sealed and clean.

Not doing the bearings right now is a great financial relief.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:44 AM

Just thought id chime in, read the whole post and love the Runner Bro! I recently picked up my 88 Runner and am inspired by this thread* As with everything money and time play the more important factor. Did you ever try new leaf packs cause the rear of mine is sagging and bottoms out on the stops but i want to avoid cutting and welding for the spring mod.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:51 AM

Thanks! I really appreciate that.

I haven't tried a new leaf pack yet. I took my Zuk mod springs out, but things haven't sagged much so far. I may be alright with the stock springs.

You don't have to cut your bump stops if you get the right springs. The springs that were on my mine were big enough to fit around the bump stops. Mine were out of a Jeep, model 128AB. I think they're too firm for the back of a 4Runner, you can see that on my trail trip my rear didn't flex much at all. But maybe you can find a softer spring with a larger diameter.

Quick Reply: Ocell's 88 4Runner build thread