86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Melrose 4runner 1986 restomod summer beach truck

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 12:45 PM

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts
It goes like this

Load the dimensions into your favourite cad program (the time intensive part), export as a vector file, load vector file into your favourite CAM program, export CNC readable G-CODE, modifiy G-code in your favourite text editor to cope with your CNC machines particularities, and have the machine execute

​​​​​​
Old 10-23-2018, 08:03 PM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Melrose 4r
I don't think its going anywhere with him. I'm not going to send $300 to a guy that doesn't answer emails.
Tracing your own is the way to go. My friend traced the graphics that were on mine and created a vector file. Then the sign shops can reproduce them, they way i understand it. Perhaps the shop would prefer to do the tracing or maybe they have some other method.
My problem is I can't find a photo of an 86 with blue graphics anywhere. Maybe it was shown in the original sales brochure but I don't know. Maybe blue doesn't exist.
I tried contacting him a year ago or so about factory stripes for my ‘88 when I replaced the fenders. No response still. That’s why my original rusty fenders with decent stripes are still in the garage, much to the wife’s dismay. I need to get them to a vinyl shop or get them a pattern to recreate.
Old 11-06-2018, 04:18 AM

Received 333 Likes on 248 Posts
Updates?
Old 11-06-2018, 08:06 AM

Received 901 Likes on 598 Posts
Originally Posted by SomedayJ
Updates?
Thanks for asking...
I spent some time redoing the power amp mounting boards on the roll bar. I ordered this charcoal felt material for speaker cabinets and used it to cover the boards.
The material matches the subwoofer cabinet almost perfectly.

The supplies came from PartsExpress.com. The material was only about $7.50 for a sheet the size of a blanket and the spray glue was like $12. Free of charge they included this card-sized multi tool thing that actually has practical uses(bottle opener!).

Then I spent a bunch of time wiring and tidying up (not done yet.)
I am using a blue tooth receiver right into the power amp for the front door speakers. That amp has an internal crossover and that feeds the sub amp.
Between yardsales and ebay I have <$150 into the whole system and it works great, sounds killer. The Polk 2 way door speakers came with the truck.
Still need to get a remote control up front for the sub. And I'm trying to think up some elegant way to switch between the blue tooth in and my vintage ipod in.
Some sort of dual input RCA switchbox to mount in the console or something like that.

Future projects coming soon:
wetsand and buff paint out.- start with extra hood for learning curve.
remove alternator, replace brushes.
remove starter, replace solenoid contacts
remove am/fm radio, install antenna booster
apply navy blue or royal blue pinstripes to side of truck
touch up white paint below doors
fix dent below tail light
revisit bumper mounting to gain slight adjustment
find shop to replicate the Kayline soft top in Navy blue(boat canopy shop probably)
straighten all wheel well chrome trim

Yikes. this list is longer than I expected. I have the week of Thanksgiving off so should be able to make some progress then.

Last edited by Melrose 4r; 11-06-2018 at 08:20 AM.
The following users liked this post:
SomedayJ (11-08-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 11:53 AM

Planned to drive the truck into the office today but when I started it up the "CHARGE" and "BRAKE" lights on the dash came on. I wanted to grab a meter to put across the BATT to see if the alternator was charging but before I could, the lights went out. So I put the truck back in the garage.

I think it was the truck's way of saying, "Hey... you promised you were going to look into this and you haven't, so I'm not on board with the idea of a hundred mile round trip commute today..."

So priority #1 this weekend will be pulling the alternator out and installing new brushes.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:02 PM

A long ToDo list.
So you plan to paint the stripes. I thought to use Plasti-Dip to redo mine once, my 4R stripes design look simple to replicate that way.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by SomedayJ
A long ToDo list.
So you plan to paint the stripes. I thought to use Plasti-Dip to redo mine once, my 4R stripes design look simple to replicate that way.
No, No painting of stripes. First wetsand and buff, then pinstripe using tape stripes. If I go any further than that it will be vinyl graphics.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:36 PM

Bad, bad, bad.

Pulled the alternator out tonight and opened it up to see what condition it was in. The bearings felt fine but the brushes and slip rings were a mess.

I checked the service manual and some YouTube videos on rebuilding alternators and the consensus was that I could put new brushes in even though the slip rings look awful, but who knows how long it would last. I love Toyotas for their reliability, so no short cuts allowed. I ordered a rebuilt Denso from Rock Auto tonight. It should arrive Tuesday.

Also so the power steering pump seems to have been leaking on the alternator for quite a while so I’ll have to fix that while I’m in there.

My go-to parts vendor is Rock Auto but after I placed the order I thought to check Summit Racing and it was the same price but Summit would have given me free shipping.oh well. I think Rock Auto will deliver sooner.

My gift in life is good timing. I think I caught this just in time to prevent getting stranded somewhere.

Last edited by Melrose 4r; 11-08-2018 at 06:48 PM.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:38 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Dang, that looks bad! Good call on the new one.

I rebuilt the one in my 3rd gen with new brushes and bearings. The slip rings looked great with 250k ish on them.
Old 11-11-2018, 05:24 PM

New Denso alternator

The new rebuilt alternator from Rock Auto arrived earlier than expected so I spent time installing it today.
I was concerned when I lined them up on the bench because the new one was clocked differently than the old but the old had a suspect looking bracket on it and the head of the bolt was not metric so it stunk of hackery. I figured the new one was correct but was not sure the belt would still work. Turns out it was perfect.

I pulled the back cover and brushes from the new one just to see what the slip rings on it looked like.
Very nice.

It was cold but the sun was out and the top was off and I wanted to drive it again so my son and I took a ride around town, picked up our friends’ daughter and went to an ice cream shop. Gotta get teenagers out of the house whenever possible!

Last edited by Melrose 4r; 11-11-2018 at 05:48 PM.
Old 11-11-2018, 05:44 PM

Pinstripes

I got these metal flake blue pinstripes from my happy place, the Auto body supply shop. $14 buys 150 feet of striping. I went in looking for blue options but this one really grabbed me. It’s subtle but will pop in the sun as a custom touch. My wife and son both don’t like it, but I don’t typically take their advice on car stuff anyway. What do you guys think of it? This is my spare fender. Have to buff out the clear coat yet on the truck.

The following users liked this post:
ev13wt (10-01-2019)
Old 11-11-2018, 05:58 PM

Received 576 Likes on 454 Posts
The new alternator sure looks better than the old one!

I personally like the stripe (and sparkly too!) and it looks period correct.

The stripe breaks up the white a little and gives the body more definition.

The stripe or no stripe debate is a very personal thing. I could really do either.

Old 11-12-2018, 03:27 AM

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts
I agree with Jake, your truck is super white with a white top...I think you need that bit of striping to break it up.
Old 11-12-2018, 04:27 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I like the stripe
Old 11-12-2018, 05:31 AM

That stripe's very minimalist, almost invisible to me (I need new glasses), it looks like someboy scratched that fender with a key as far I can see Your 4R's asking for something better.
These are stripes:

Old 11-12-2018, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
should go with 4runner stripes, use james dean
Old 11-12-2018, 05:41 PM

Did the 100 mile round trip commute to my office with the truck today.
80% of the state took the day off so I was able to do a speed limit ride with no stop and go on the highway. It was a great ride, right through the tunnels of Boston this morning. Since the last road trip I had not driven it until the alternator replacement yesterday so I was able to calculate my fuel mileage.
Mostly highway with just a little around town yesterday and compensating 9 miles per 100 for odometer error, it came out to 20 mpg. I’m pretty happy with that. I know the rings are weak due to low compression numbers but it runs well so I think 20mpg highway is pretty good. I’d love to see what it would do after a rebuild...or if I didn’t have to go 70+ on the highway...

Last edited by Melrose 4r; 11-12-2018 at 05:42 PM.
Old 11-12-2018, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by cdd408
should go with 4runner stripes, use james dean
see previous posts in this thread.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Melrose 4r
Did the 100 mile round trip commute to my office with the truck today.
80% of the state took the day off so I was able to do a speed limit ride with no stop and go on the highway. It was a great ride, right through the tunnels of Boston this morning. Since the last road trip I had not driven it until the alternator replacement yesterday so I was able to calculate my fuel mileage.
Mostly highway with just a little around town yesterday and compensating 9 miles per 100 for odometer error, it came out to 20 mpg. I’m pretty happy with that. I know the rings are weak due to low compression numbers but it runs well so I think 20mpg highway is pretty good. I’d love to see what it would do after a rebuild...or if I didn’t have to go 70+ on the highway...
I bet your 4R broke a lot of necks yesterday
When do you plan to rebuild? I hope I get another complete course about that, like I got with your 4R body and paint job thread.
Those markers're original in the European market, maybe it's a local regulation, I don't know, I don't like them. They don't have them in the Asian market as you can see in the photo, an Asian Diesel Hilux Surf (steering wheel in the other side). By the way, that tan color with those stripes look very good also. Our trucks look good with every color!!!

Old 11-13-2018, 07:07 AM

Well, I was thinking about pulling the engine and replacing the rings, bearings and clutch this winter. But it isn't really critical at this time so I think I'll wait until next fall and re-evaluate. Maybe winter 2019-2020.

Quick Reply: Melrose 4runner 1986 restomod summer beach truck