86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Mak92-4RnR's 1992 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 08:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you guys in mining or oil and gas or something? I work at a diamond mine which really helps in the toy department.

Nice work on being a home owner! My first was just a crappy apartment which I got at 27. It nearly broke us which got me and the fiance into mining. Now we have three properties but selling one.

Looking forward to getting out though. Being away so much is getting old. I fly out again tomorrow for two weeks. At least its a sweet roster. Two on two off.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:16 AM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by CDN-SMOKEJUMPER
Are you guys in mining or oil and gas or something? I work at a diamond mine which really helps in the toy department.

Nice work on being a home owner! My first was just a crappy apartment which I got at 27. It nearly broke us which got me and the fiance into mining. Now we have three properties but selling one.

Looking forward to getting out though. Being away so much is getting old. I fly out again tomorrow for two weeks. At least its a sweet roster. Two on two off.
Nah. We're fire sprinkler contractors. install & design fire sprinklers in residential & commercial buildings. ( walmarts, targets, apartment complexes, etc etc )
Old 06-12-2012, 12:29 PM

So I "dye tested" the 4Runner's radiator today... for those who dont know what this is. its an easy way to tell if the headgasket is leaking at all... basically its a blue liquid that you put in a baster type thing. and it changes color from green to yellow. well it stayed blue.

I let the truck get to operating temp and the engine started steaming. so I shut it down. Its obviously burning oil really bad. All I can think now is bottom end. Possibly rings. Called the Tow truck and they got here within 20 minutes.

Nothing like seeing the truck you've owned for 6-7 years get towed for its... 1st? or 2nd time? lol

So Paul got a chance to take a look at it. were both convinced its bottom end, but he's gonna tear into it and find out for sure. I told him to be patient with it, no rush. So i probably wont have the 4Runner for awhile.

Im going to now be focused on getting the Mustang streetable. Not that i need a DD since i live in walking distance of work, I just need something to be able to drive around and hang out.

So thats my horror story for the day lol
Old 06-12-2012, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's a sad sight to see I hope I never have to see my truck like that
Old 06-12-2012, 02:05 PM

It happens to every engine eventually. They are around 20 years old after all.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:12 PM

yeah, but its completely unexpected at 169k miles. And I dont really drive the 4Runner that hard. Especially lately, since I needed it to be reliable since I got the mustang.

But Regardless... on the bright side, Paul mentioned doing a 3.4 swap. He asked if i was knowledgable about it. and I literally looked at him and asked HIM what he would like to know about it. hahahahaha. I basically told him I know where to get a plug n play harness and a crossover. but He also mentioned all the smog garbage that i'd have to go through. which isn't a big deal.

but anywho, I told him to give me a quote for:

a new 3.0 block installed
a used 3.0 block installed
a 3.4 swap.

he'll get back to me in about a week or so.

I'd obviously keep the 4Runner if I had a 3.4 in it.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:25 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Not interested in the 1UZ, eh? Just curious why, if not. TOTALLY understand wanting the 3.4-(Possibly SC'd) as well. Is it cuz it's an easier swap for an already existing 3.0'er? (that's my guess, I'll stick with that! hahaha...)... As said, just curious...

And btw, ...WOW, MAN.. you're right, that is some "It's POURING, dangit" stuff going on for ya lately... But hey, maybe this will just lead to slapping a powerhouse with better mileage in there and keep you focused on the stang and just life in general, eh? Best wishes, either way... Hope you find a good deal.

PS> DAYUM, some of these guys down here with LC's(93 and up) are HIGH! lol.... They ask too much for things that have MUCH longer "CONS" lists than the "PROS" list, ya know? hahaha. I DID find one, lifted, Elocker, ready to go... BUT, needs about 1K in stuff's like windshield/interior. 4100$.... Oye
Old 06-12-2012, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Not interested in the 1UZ, eh? Just curious why, if not. TOTALLY understand wanting the 3.4-(Possibly SC'd) as well. Is it cuz it's an easier swap for an already existing 3.0'er? (that's my guess, I'll stick with that! hahaha...)... As said, just curious...

And btw, ...WOW, MAN.. you're right, that is some "It's POURING, dangit" stuff going on for ya lately... But hey, maybe this will just lead to slapping a powerhouse with better mileage in there and keep you focused on the stang and just life in general, eh? Best wishes, either way... Hope you find a good deal.

PS> DAYUM, some of these guys down here with LC's(93 and up) are HIGH! lol.... They ask too much for things that have MUCH longer "CONS" lists than the "PROS" list, ya know? hahaha. I DID find one, lifted, Elocker, ready to go... BUT, needs about 1K in stuff's like windshield/interior. 4100$.... Oye
yeah. We'll see... I wouldn't mind spending $4000 on something thats nice. I really want a white/silver LC that way the scratches dont show so much. I've even bounced around a single cab 2005+ tacoma or possibly a 79-85 SFA. There's also a trekker on CL in my area for $3000.

I just want something I can build and never have to sell. Especially if i have a fam bam some day.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:41 PM

Thought of you right away when seeing this...... BUT TOO MUCH, IMHO... Still, MIGHT be worth it if he'd come down a good chunk!>>>

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/ant...065993447.html
Old 06-12-2012, 02:43 PM

Just make a day at Magic Mountain turn into, "HEY, I'm in the area, cash in hand.... LET'S DEAL!" hahaha.

You'll find one if it comes to that... But I DO like your Rig that you're pondering a swap on, very much. Thing is.. you gotta do what YOU want, period. Either way, you'll make a practical choice for the long run, I'm sure.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to hear the HG blew. I hope you get to keep it, and have a 3.4 in your near future, or something else that makes you happy.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by MaK92-4RnR

I just want something I can build and never have to sell. Especially if i have a fam bam some day.

That's my plan too. If I want to get into crazy wheeling I'll get an old Toyota pickup and beat the hell out of that.

Then you can do stuff like remove the bed, weld the rear diff etc and have a ball in the woods.

EDIT///

Boy did I ever want a Landcruiser but they are so hard to find in Canada that are not rusted away.

Last edited by Red Wagon; 06-12-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:18 PM

Could it be the water pump? Mine went out back in December on my 3.0, happened on the highway. It started with intermittenet overheating but was still driveable. Progressed into serious overheating and smoking, had to see it leave on a tow truck. Bad day!
Old 06-13-2012, 07:38 AM

So i did some thinking.

Would it be foolish of me to buy a 90-95 22re 4Runner, Swap all my modifications onto it, fix my current 4Runner and then sell it to rekindle some of my cash?

Im to the point where I would take the 40 horsepower loss for some reliability and fuel economy. Not to mention, I could take a stock 4Runner for B**** to bull in less than 24 hours.

Thoughts?
Old 06-13-2012, 10:05 AM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
So i did some thinking.
i thought i smelled something burning, lol

i dunno about 22re 4runner and swapping parts over unless you find one for pennies. i would assume the 22re version will have a seat of the pants feel of significantly less power and will probably give same MPGs stock vs your modded 3.0 4runner because of the power:weight ratio (and that's not even with all your armor weighing it down). Other stuff to consider is how long will it take to find the right rig? How many man-hours is it gonna cost you to swap over EVERYTHING to the other rig. Then how long is it gonna take you to find the right buyer to sell your old rig after you have to put $ into that one just to sell it for more than $1k? Cheaper and less headache to fix it and keep it IMO.

the 3.0 is pretty reliable based on how many you still see on the road. if it were me, i would just start calling around to get prices on full rebuilds with warranty and see what prices you get back - so you can price compare with your other options. Lately I've been thinking of selling our Corolla, so I called up Tim at CT Engineering, in Rancho Cordova, to see about getting my 22re rebuilt since it might go back to DD status and I need it reliable (even though it drives fine, but leaks and burns oil). Tim specializes in Toyota engines, does all the work himself, and has been doing it for 30 years. Anyways, from him I can get a COMPLETE rebuild with a lengthy list of other stuff he'd do to it (that nobody else I called would be doing), about a week turnaround, AND a 3yr warranty for only $3k! Compare that to having someone like Dave'z Offroad just swap in their longblock for around $2.5k - I'd say it's a pretty damn good deal! He also works on 3.0's, so give him a call 916-852-1032
Old 06-13-2012, 11:11 AM

Hmmmm, .... if you want to gain mileage without losing power.... YOU COULD do a 3RZ swap, Matt. Why not? I'm sure it's a bit more work, but if you really stuck to it for a couple weeks... you could already be close, I'd bet! And, you'd get better mileage and possibly even power. I know, "A SWAP?" lol... But you got so many guys near you up there that could probably help ya, no?
Old 06-13-2012, 01:09 PM

So i did some thinking.

Would it be foolish of me to buy a 90-95 22re 4Runner, Swap all my modifications onto it, fix my current 4Runner and then sell it to rekindle some of my cash?

Im to the point where I would take the 40 horsepower loss for some reliability and fuel economy. Not to mention, I could take a stock 4Runner for B**** to bull in less than 24 hours.

Thoughts?
What about that, but then later use rekindled money to convert 22re to 22rte. Might be back to almost 3.0 status, but then maybe even further in the future, you could do a Supra 3.0 I6 Swap.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:57 PM

No one is going to believe me when I say this but... Wow...

So paul did some testing on my motor today. He started draining the oil ( i have a fumoto oil drain valve, so it usually takes about 30-45 minutes for the oil to drain 5 quarts )

2 1/2 hours later, Its still draining. He calls me asking when the last time I did an oil change. I think i did it maybe 500 miles ago. and asked why? and He said 9 quarts has come out of it and still draining...

Grand total that came out of the motor? 11 1/2 quarts of oil... How in the F***? There's absolutely no possible way that I put 11 1/2 quarts of oil in my truck at the last oil change. Especially since I had driven downtown the night before. The whole motor would be shot otherwise.

The only thing I can conclude? Someone messed with the 4Runner. I got home the night before at midnight and woke up the next morning to work on the mustang. and someone must've put another 6 1/2 quarts in it while I was sleeping.

Pretty PO'd that Paul probably thinks im an idiot now, but yeah... Not cool at all.

So the 4Runner runs & drives perfectly fine. absolutely nothing wrong with it. it has brand new oil in it again and it doesn't smoke......

How ridiculous.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:29 PM
Contributing Member

How is that even possible?? I had a friend who changed his own oil when he was 16 on his first car. He forgot to drain the oil before adding new, so he had somewhere around 9 qts in it. Fired it up & drove to work the next day and blew the rear main. Granted it was a Geo Metro, but how could you NOT have done serious damage driving around with 11+ quarts of oil!?

Either way, glad to hear it wasn't anything serious!
Old 06-13-2012, 04:03 PM

That's really messed up, glad it's back to normal now though. Time to get a security camera.

Quick Reply: Mak92-4RnR's 1992 4Runner Build-Up Thread