86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Mak92-4RnR's 1992 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't read the whole thing but why are you bummed on the truck as a whole? $#!T happens (HG) but weigh that in too the other great times you've had with your truck
Old 06-10-2012, 08:54 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Wow, sux, man!

Did the dealership do the HG? (warranty was mentioned, just curious). Whatcha think caused it? I just wonder if certain shops get em if they wanna do the HG's to the higher recommended/updated torque rating.

Gotta say, I am a lil suprised... Thought you loved this rig.(for the most part). What would ya get if you change rigs?
Old 06-11-2012, 06:43 AM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
Yeah I have a lot of great memories in this truck. but honestly, I think im ready to move on. I'd honestly trade it straight across for a lower mileage 98+ tacoma or an FJZ80 with some cash on top.

Im gonna see what the shop says about redoing my headgasket. and we'll go from there.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What specifically are you disappointed with in your rig?

Weird how some ppl blow head gaskets when others seem to not have any issues.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by CDN-SMOKEJUMPER
What specifically are you disappointed with in your rig?

Weird how some ppl blow head gaskets when others seem to not have any issues.
I love the rig, dont get me wrong. There's just things i would do differently that i cant do right this moment in my life.

I honestly bought the Mustang due to the fact that this 4Runner WAS running perfectly. I hate its temperment. for example. It was running great two days ago, then yesterday as I was driving to Ace hardware white smoke came billowing out?

The power/gas mileage ratio dont bother me. I honestly love the power with 4.88s and 33s. its a perfect combination, and I have no complaints.

My biggest complaint? the rear window. Dumbest design. Toyota honestly should've went with a split tailgate like on a landcruiser. its pretty ridiculous how the window needs to roll down to access the tailgate, to access the back.

Other than that. I love the rig. and I'll probably end up keeping it. I'm just in a pissy ass mood because the girlfriend and I separated on the 7th and then the 4Runner gives me attitude. Right now im totally in love with my 67 mustang because of how well she's running. I've juggled the idea of selling the 4Runner, finishing the mustang and then financing a tacoma to ease my troubles. lmao Who knows.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:21 PM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
bummer man. i wouldn't sell it since you'll most likely lose $ on it. might as well start looking for something to swap in there. 3.4L swap time or just go find a cheap 3.0 and toss it in.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by highonpottery
bummer man. i wouldn't sell it since you'll most likely lose $ on it. might as well start looking for something to swap in there. 3.4L swap time or just go find a cheap 3.0 and toss it in.
Unless of course I traded it for something who knows. Its a situation I just dont even feel like dealing with or putting time towards. I'll probably just have the 3.0 rebuilt again, and just keep driving it around.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Break ups suck.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:11 PM

Im not tripping about it so much. Im only 22 years old. No reason to settle down but I'll mostly miss her daughter. I spent so many nights putting her to sleep late at night and it never bothered me. she just completely blind sided me. And she left without question or an explanation. ( i assume she's getting back with her baby's daddy )

but regardless. I honestly think the best thing for me to do right now is get the 4Runner's engine replaced, possibly sell it. ( I posted it up for 8k and got tons of bites on craigslist a few months ago ) Fix the mustang to get it drivable, and then go buy a tacoma or FZJ80. my buddies landcruiser has 290k miles on it and its still a trooper.

Last edited by MaK92-4RnR; 06-11-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:17 PM

Sorry bout the break up, man... VERY hard to deal with some times! Some are a relief... this obviously is not! hang in there.

Hmmm, I getcha... i've been SO TICKED at this Red Beast, lol. But then, I've put too much into it to give it to some knob that will rip me off due to 'you can't get back what you put into it, not really' factor. But yeah, Having paid to have mine done, then having to re-do it 2 TIMES before realizing it was hopeless, that I needed to start over, fresh block, etc.... THAT WAS ALMOST IT FOR ME! lol. I feel much better having done it myself, and while it has some quirks, it's almost 80% restored and most everything works... JUST THAT FREAKIN GRELMIN "MISS", ya know? hahaha. Either way, I GET IT, and I just hope that it works out the best for ya, cuz we CAN end up with worse problems, even in newer rigs, when we inherit someones rig, right?

Hope, if it's meant to be, that you guys can work it out, or at least end it amicably, if not, ya know?
Old 06-11-2012, 02:18 PM

PS> I've REALLY been looking at LC's lately... I GET THAT 'ITCH' feeling, too! SFA, 82, 92? Which do you like? haha
Old 06-11-2012, 02:54 PM

I really want a 93+ LC. I'd LOVE an OBD2 landcruiser. But then again i'd really like the E-lockers. So whichever I can find.

The 4Runner is being towed over to the shop this evening. And The shop is going run a diagnostic, and do the warranty work on it. Paul just called me up asking if it was oil or coolant burning. and I said it was definitely coolant since it has the "rich steam water" smell to it.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:32 PM

OOOh, yeah, that 'sweet glycerine cloud'.... SICKENING thing to smell when it's our own rigs.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:33 PM

http://s850.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=a44b0ea9.mp4

here's the video shortly after i discovered it starting steaming. . ignore the exhaust leak. one of the welds on the flange broke on my stock catayltic converter and haven't bothered to fix it yet.

Last edited by MaK92-4RnR; 06-11-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:36 PM

Oh man, ... you musta been TICKED! (I almost said 'steamed', without even thinking about it, SORRY! But I did catch it, haha.)

What do you THINK is causing this?
Old 06-11-2012, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Oh man, ... you musta been TICKED! (I almost said 'steamed', without even thinking about it, SORRY! But I did catch it, haha.)

What do you THINK is causing this?
I think the intermittent overheating has something to do with it... I have been trying to chase this down for awhile and couldn't figure out what the hell it was? Its been overheating randomly for absolutely no reason. coolant is fine, fan shroud is on, fan clutch is brand new. the only other thing i can think of is that the headgasket cracked slightly, caused the overheating. and now its 100% blown and is now causing the steaming.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:44 PM

So the actual HG failed, is your thinking... NOT anything to do with 'something in the surfaces that they're missing', etc.? I hear ya... wow, what a PITA!
Old 06-11-2012, 09:13 PM

So the actual HG failed, is your thinking... NOT anything to do with 'something in the surfaces that they're missing', etc.? I hear ya... wow, what a PITA!
yeah... this whole week just isn't going right for me. lol I went to install the 4bbl intake & carb on my mustang today and the manifold had a slight crack in it :/ the damn 4Runner blew its headgasket again and a bunch of other ˟˟˟˟ hasn't gone right. hahahaha. Cars are on my poop list right now
Old 06-11-2012, 10:36 PM

You'll figure it all out, man.. Just be sure to BREATHE, ya know? haha.... Intakes are pretty common for those, thankfully, right? Sux to have to go there, but hey, dime a dozen, ya know? Far as the rest of it, .. ahhh, I swear, the 4TH TIME in a 2 year period that I tore that 22RE apart... I was THAT CLOSE! hehehe.... But is what it is, I guess, ya know?

Far as the girl... that's often pretty tough, ESPECIALLY with kids. Was different for me... It was reversed... i had 2 girls... and after 4 years of Marriage... POOF, over! NO warning, none, and it really tore up my girls.. They just really kept thinking they did something to drive her away. In part, that's only true because MY EX didn't want to be a mother any longer, and, figured, "it's early enough, better to just cut clean and NEVER TALK TO THEM AGAIN"... Hmm,... can't always make sense of the thinking of others, or their reasoning.. But just take a good look at it all, try to prevent it in the future and what else can ya do, eh? And TRUE, TRUE, .. you're too young to trip for too long... But seriously... NOTHING abnormal about taking, hard, the portion where you're just suddenly separated from a child you've been DEEPLY involved with as a Father figure.. VERY tough, man! Sorry to carry on about that... I wont bring it up again.. Just feel for ya. I'll just leave it at this.... I totally trip out, looking back in retrospect, all the things I SHOULD have seen coming, I'm tellin ya. Had people telling me, shortly after, "Dude, you were PRETTY MISERABLE".... And I'd just deny it... Til one day... "Yep, now that you mention it, HOLY CRAP, I WAS!" haha.

Take care, man.. and fix the other crap one piece at a time... Heck, looking at your mods list... I REALLY started thinking, "MAN, that's QUITE the customized 'just how I want it' rig... If only it'd stop misbehaving!" hehe.

Curious... think it's possible you might just have it fixed/repaired... Then strip all YOUR stuff out of it.... Put the stock stuff back in and then part out the other stuff?(NOT that I want parts, man... honest... Just saying..... can you make more that way, IF you do decide to part with it?)
Old 06-12-2012, 07:23 AM

You'll figure it all out, man.. Just be sure to BREATHE, ya know? haha.... Intakes are pretty common for those, thankfully, right? Sux to have to go there, but hey, dime a dozen, ya know? Far as the rest of it, .. ahhh, I swear, the 4TH TIME in a 2 year period that I tore that 22RE apart... I was THAT CLOSE! hehehe.... But is what it is, I guess, ya know?

Far as the girl... that's often pretty tough, ESPECIALLY with kids. Was different for me... It was reversed... i had 2 girls... and after 4 years of Marriage... POOF, over! NO warning, none, and it really tore up my girls.. They just really kept thinking they did something to drive her away. In part, that's only true because MY EX didn't want to be a mother any longer, and, figured, "it's early enough, better to just cut clean and NEVER TALK TO THEM AGAIN"... Hmm,... can't always make sense of the thinking of others, or their reasoning.. But just take a good look at it all, try to prevent it in the future and what else can ya do, eh? And TRUE, TRUE, .. you're too young to trip for too long... But seriously... NOTHING abnormal about taking, hard, the portion where you're just suddenly separated from a child you've been DEEPLY involved with as a Father figure.. VERY tough, man! Sorry to carry on about that... I wont bring it up again.. Just feel for ya. I'll just leave it at this.... I totally trip out, looking back in retrospect, all the things I SHOULD have seen coming, I'm tellin ya. Had people telling me, shortly after, "Dude, you were PRETTY MISERABLE".... And I'd just deny it... Til one day... "Yep, now that you mention it, HOLY CRAP, I WAS!" haha.

Take care, man.. and fix the other crap one piece at a time... Heck, looking at your mods list... I REALLY started thinking, "MAN, that's QUITE the customized 'just how I want it' rig... If only it'd stop misbehaving!" hehe.

Curious... think it's possible you might just have it fixed/repaired... Then strip all YOUR stuff out of it.... Put the stock stuff back in and then part out the other stuff?(NOT that I want parts, man... honest... Just saying..... can you make more that way, IF you do decide to part with it?)
I've considered buying a 22re 4x4 ext cab truck, swapping all my parts over and then selling the 4Runner for ~$3500. But honestly? I think I want a comfortable solid axle rig. The Landcruiser is just a totally different class of vehicle. Sure its a gas-ga-huzzler, but its reliable. strong and theres lots of room to grow with it. Not to mention it has tons of expeditions modifcations for it and thats the route I went with the 4Runner. The 4Runner is a turn key truck. Its never let me down. And when I had it posted up for $8000 a few months ago, I had so many calls about it and even had a guy come to buy it, had $8000 in my face and I told him I couldn't let it go. ( my mistake ) I should've took the money. but hey... ˟˟˟˟ happens. It has new CV joints now, new brakes, and not to mention a lift kit to go along with it. So maybe i'll throw it on for $9000 and see what kind of offers I get. If i get atleast $8000. I think i'd drop $1000 into fixing the mustang's shock towers and getting the engine bay painted back to black, Then go get it painted ( my friend's ex girlfriend's dad is an amazing automotive body/paint guy. and they're still on good terms ) I might even drop a new edelbrock waterpump, MSD ignition, battery and possibly a new radiatior that way I have it running top notch. And then go buy a stock FZJ80 ( 93+ landcrusier ) That way I'll have two reliable turn key vehicles. Not to mention, i'll have a sexy 1967 mustang to go out on the weekends.

I honestly need to stop worrying about vehicles and putting money into them. My brother and I own our own home at 25 & 22. Granted we've already refurbished the whole house ( new flooring, removed the popcorn ceiling, retextured everything, repainted everything, baseboard, new kitchen, and new carpet in the bedrooms ) It really needs a new front bathroom ( its original from 1978, it doesn't bother me because I dont mind living on the low end ) but because its the "main" bathroom everyone goes in there and It really embarrasses me. especially when people come over, see how nice everything is and then go into the bathroom and its just a straight pile. lmao. With new tile, tub/shower, vanity, cabinets, and mirror. It would look really good.

Quick Reply: Mak92-4RnR's 1992 4Runner Build-Up Thread