86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

kelvin 1989 4runner build

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 02:10 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
i just drove it to guymon oklahoma and back to get some tools and a cd player for it. rear pinion seal isnt leaking and i still havent found a cherry picker to get the engine out yet.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:15 PM

drove to wichita this weekend for my birthday and to pick up an engine for my 1989 dodge d50. on the way back i tried a panoramic photo with my new phone in a random farmers back yard.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:26 PM

drove 800 miles between last night after work and today to pick up 9 tires in golden colorado.

lonely road south of ulysses kansas

lonely junk yard by holly colorado

colorado springs

start of schubarth trail with pikes peak

most of this trail i did in 2wd, but i had to lock her in low for this

slightly off the trail

LOW GEAR

slid off

2 hours later

/cool photos

Old 08-06-2013, 07:27 PM

today i dropped off all the wheels and tires to be mounted and balanced. i figured id try the 32s first to see if they fit.

plenty of clearence with the 'zuk' mod

i went out and played in the mud just now. it does better.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:25 PM

at the job site from last nights fun

today i found out i cant go through everything

i got out with some help

and 30 minutes later the streets are full of water

Old 08-08-2013, 09:25 AM

Today I come to find out my lspv is leaking on the return line. My brake pedal went directly to the floor and my reservoir was empty. Today I'm headed to liberal to find the proper fittings to bypass it.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bada$$ picks bro!! I know youve put that runner in more random places since youve owned it. than its seen before you owned it. The wheels and tires look good. I think a rear locker would of gotten you through most of the climbing and the mud. Looks like you had hankiii helping you out in a couple pics. Keep up the good work!!
Old 08-08-2013, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by kelvinb
at the job site from last nights fun

today i found out i cant go through everything

i got out with some help

and 30 minutes later the streets are full of water

Thats also a great way to clean your rig naturally after wheeling!!!!
Old 08-08-2013, 05:47 PM

well the proper way to fix this issue is to replace the innards of the LSPV, but according to the multiple forums associated with these vehicles its less of a pain and easier to just remove it from the equation.

the lspv gets the brake fluid and has a return line that T's into the front brake lines. the fix is to plug the T and install a manual proportioning valve or union where the lspv is. i could not find a plug so i instead bought an m10x1 bolt and a m10x1 union for 4 dollars. the brakes are not spongy and it feels like it will actually stop now.

temporary fix until i find another 90

custom bent brakes lines with brass union

the 2 videos i posted of me crossing that small creek and up that bank now looks like this. i did not attempt to cross it today.

i did however cruise over to the cimarron grassland and check it out

and more water

i crossed this fallen tree fine going down, but coming back it died. i noticed a branch broken off right under the transmission mount but didnt see anything wrong. everytime i tried to start it, it died. under the hood i didnt notice anything wrong. after running around trying to figure out what it was i noticed my intake tube was completely ripped off the throttle body. i was able to reattach it with electrical tape.

now my CHARGE light is on, and i havent checked it out yet since its raining. fuark

Last edited by kelvinb; 08-08-2013 at 05:49 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:43 PM

well i figured out my charge light issue. it seems when i crossed over that tree it tore the lower radiator hose very slightly and started leaking coolant on my alternator. i replaced my fuses and alternator for good measure and now it wont start. cranks fine and i can smell gas. i had someone watch for spark and said it was there. ˟˟˟˟.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:09 AM

some antifreeze on your alternator wont hurt it. submerging under water isnt good for it though, after i sunk my 88 truck the alternator charge light came on and ended up ruining it. So wheres the pic of the big hole you put your runner in last night?
Old 08-14-2013, 03:19 AM

Battery wouldn't hold a charge overnight so I bought a new one last night. All is well.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:22 PM

easy fix!
Old 08-18-2013, 07:04 PM

the locals chose this weekend to go through the mud pit with there 4x4s. it was a great weekend to have the top off, except.....

Old 08-19-2013, 08:20 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kelvinb
the locals chose this weekend to go through the mud pit with there 4x4s. it was a great weekend to have the top off, except.....

LOVE the pics buddy!! You are one crazy MOFO for sure. Thats some nasty mud you have there. Im thinking drive through car wash with the top removed. haha
Old 08-23-2013, 01:28 PM

Im pretty sure your not going to get all that out of the interior.
Old 10-05-2013, 01:41 PM

currently doing a shutdown in mansfield louisiana. before i took off i installed a curt roof rack to put some of my stuff on. i had to bolt it directly to the top but i think it looks ok. i also bought the 21in extension piece so it takes up the entire top. i had a wheel bearing failure in waldron arkansas, and was able to get it into a shop in mena for 100 dollars. i brought the parts with me so total was 150. i also got my advanced adapters v8 bellhousing so after the shutdown i plan on taking some time off to get my laser converted to an auto, and the runner a solid front axle and v8 swapped in.

random

break down in arkansas

on the new job site

Old 10-05-2013, 05:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Awesome pics man. I seriously can't believe that thing makes it everywhere you take it!! Love the rack. I always go back and forth on getting one. Just seems so functional.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:31 PM

Your SR5 is a way better candidate for the v8 sas swap.
Old 10-12-2013, 04:34 PM

im starting my 7 12s saturday, so they gave us this weekend off. today i stopped by toledo bend. its a large lake south of logansport la and separates texas and lousiana. i asked a few locals at the job site if there were any trails around i could hit and they suggested i try a place by 'jolly roger marina' after some googling i found the marina, and some detective work on google maps showed what i thought was it. they hid this place pretty well, and its mostly for atvs. since i was by myself and without a winch i didnt get into anything to crazy but from what i saw, a few people could have a hell of a time. i roamed around for about 2 hours before i went home.

on the way there

maybe another time...

the only spot i found water that wasnt 3ft deep. all the spots with water looked shallow so this being the first one, i tried it. no problems....the 2nd one i about got stuck. i avoided all water after that.

trails were narrow for an atv but 2 locals on a motorcycle and atv said if i could fit, have fun...so i did.

lots of elevation changes/deep run off ruts. again, by myself i didnt take any chances.

found some red dirt

tomorrow i might try and score a fishing license and try and pull a flathead out

Quick Reply: kelvin 1989 4runner build