Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 05:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not bad!!
Old 11-10-2014, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Where your floor boards are rotted is where I have seen it several times that way. My truck is the same way. Always nice when the company sends you to school.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:36 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Great work on the axle Kelvin!! I like your Idea for fixing the bent housing. Glad it worked well for you.

Those are some nice welds!! I was going through welding school in Illinois when I was teaching there. I was trying to get my welding certs in hopes to get paid more since I was teaching welding in my curriculum at the school. I want to go back someday and finish.
Old 11-17-2014, 05:25 PM

Stay in warmed up?
Old 12-19-2014, 04:36 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I haven't really done much with this as other projects have taken up valuable garage space. I'm scheming ideas on building a small table to set my axle on to assemble it and start the sas. I'll make a picture and maybe some of you guys can tell me if it will work or not.

I had my chainsaw rebuilt by the local stihl dude at ace hardware and while I was there bought 2 70lb sandbags to keep her in 2wd for the majority of the winter. We had a light dusting yesterday and to get to work I have to cross a steep overpass. No spin which was surprising.
Old 12-19-2014, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

So far winter has not been to bad. Hope it stays that way. I am showing the chain saw who is boss in the morning. Hope to get a load done and get back to the house. Hope you are staying warm.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:26 PM

https://fbcdn-photos-c-a.akamaihd.ne...e387c30dae9ed0

For some reason it won't let me post pics so here's a link to the current state of the engine. I just finished up the purchase for all the ls1 accessories as well as the f-body oil pan setup so very soon I'll be acquiring the last needed pieces to install then motor. As for the fj62 front axle i need to get the side bearing preload set again as I had to remove the 3rd member internals to bend the passenger tube back straight. Hopefully this summer its complete.

I sold my black wheels with the 32in tires to a co worker and hes installing them on his 84 ext cab truck. Should look pretty sweet. I have another set of wheels that I'll be getting some 35s or bigger for.

Last edited by kelvinb; 03-05-2015 at 11:28 PM.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:07 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Not sure why it is not loading. Looking good.

Here is a pic of the link for you.
Name:  kelvin_zpsityzq5e2.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  80.8 KB
Old 03-06-2015, 03:21 AM

It said I was over my limit in size by 500Kb, which doesn't make sense, since it was only 180Kb.
Old 03-10-2015, 02:00 PM

left work this morning fine and today decided to take layla to the dog park. cranked, no start. cracked open the CSI and alittle fuel came out so i figured i had fuel. checked spark with a screwdriver shorting to the valve cover, confirmed. so wtf? called kornhuskerwizard and he suggested i jump B+ to FP and see what happens. nothing happened, so i tried putting power directly from the battery to FP and it cranked and started. fuses looked good and the EFI relay was warm. maybe a loose ground? or the relay itself is bad? trying to get ahold of a new relay now.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:49 PM

Glad you got it figured out.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:11 PM

So yesterday after a bunch of unnecessary tests, turns out the ignition fuse was blown. I wasn't getting power to the b+ terminal. After some tests if I gave power to the efi relay pin one and two, it ran fine. This concluded the ignition fuse was blown. It was one of the first things to check but I was to ignorant to check it. All is well.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:49 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Wonder what caused the fuse to blow in the beginning. Hope all is well now.
Old 03-19-2015, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Wonder what caused the fuse to blow in the beginning. Hope all is well now.
So far so good Terry. It should of been other of the first things l looked at and I failed to do so.
Old 04-04-2015, 05:59 PM

Picked up an 03 wr450 to ride while I put my 4runner into jack stand mode to install the engine/SAS. It came a Baja designs kit so it has all the lights to be street legal. I changed out the rear fender for a yz fender and a drc trail light as the stocker was ugly.

Last edited by kelvinb; 04-04-2015 at 06:13 PM.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:12 AM

so ive been getting horrible gas mileage with my runner (14-16). havent really taken the time to deal with it since what im getting now would be considered pretty good with the engine swap. few days ago i decided to deal with it.

awhile ago i ran through some water and locked the motor up. cleaned it all out and it wouldnt stay running. cranked fine. eventually got it to run by turning the distributor all the way up aka timing waaay high. checked the timing and my base timing was 20+ degrees lol.

got a timing light hooked up and set it to the correct 5 base timing with the jumper. took it for a spin and immediately remembered why i cranked the timing all the way up....no timing advance.

took the throttle body off and did some TPS testing...getting no feedback at all. went to the junk yard and ended up finding only one TPS that looked similar...off a 7MGE in a cressida. took a chance and it worked. the code on it was an older version of the one i had but it worked. tuned the TPS and now it runs great. still watching the gas mileage as im still on a tank with the old TPS.

as for the SAS/engine swap, still going slow. using mineral spirits to clean everything and acquring some brake components. engine needs a steam tube setup and its done minus the wiring harness.

ALSO

i got my original tps to work. it wasnt getting a reading because it had a bunch of gunk in it. the new tps would snap back right away when you turned the lever. the old one wouldnt go back to the original spot. sprayed some pb blaster in it and it started getting readings again, so its now a backup.

Last edited by kelvinb; 05-15-2015 at 09:17 AM.
Old 06-12-2015, 06:37 PM

gas mileage still sucks. im going to fix a few vacuum/exhaust leaks and maybe replace the 02 sensor/fuel filter. other than that, i dont know what else to try. it idles/runs great just the mileage isnt there.

spark plugs? wires? cap? rotor?
Old 12-07-2015, 05:18 PM

o2 sensors are expensive. i found one on rockauto and going to install it tomorrow or wednesday. gas mileage is still bad IMO, and doesnt help that its been cold and i let it idle in the morning before i take off for work. averaging about 220-250 a tank or 15mpg.

bad rings? runs ok, but sputters at idle when its warmed up. accelerating/crusing it sounds fine

thermostat? i have a small piece of cardboard covering about 3/8 of the radiator since its been cold out. it does not get hot according to the gauge on the cluster. im guessing it would run way different if the temp sensor for the ECU was not working correctly?

timing? timing is correct after tuning the TPS sensor. i have it set at about 8 degrees advanced for base timing.

i smelled gas in the oil before the oil change, ill smell it again tomorrow when i get to work. i dont think the CSI or any injector is leaking or bad, but i honestly dont know.

oil? i was running rotella 15w-40 to get proper oil pressure in the summer, and now that its winter ive changed over to 5w-30. it revs faster/easier, so i know there is less stress on the oil pump/rotating assembly. its a small change but i did notice long ago that it did affect the gas mileage.
Old 12-08-2015, 05:17 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
That is pretty low for mpg. You should be getting in the 20's at least.
When you come up next week, we should look it over. Definitely check the timing, valves, and do a good once over.

Have you removed the injectors to look at them? How of are they? My old injectors were shot. Two of them had broken nozzles and were dumping fuel bad.

Originally Posted by kelvinb
o2 sensors are expensive. i found one on rockauto and going to install it tomorrow or wednesday. gas mileage is still bad IMO, and doesnt help that its been cold and i let it idle in the morning before i take off for work. averaging about 220-250 a tank or 15mpg.

bad rings? runs ok, but sputters at idle when its warmed up. accelerating/crusing it sounds fine

thermostat? i have a small piece of cardboard covering about 3/8 of the radiator since its been cold out. it does not get hot according to the gauge on the cluster. im guessing it would run way different if the temp sensor for the ECU was not working correctly?

timing? timing is correct after tuning the TPS sensor. i have it set at about 8 degrees advanced for base timing.

i smelled gas in the oil before the oil change, ill smell it again tomorrow when i get to work. i dont think the CSI or any injector is leaking or bad, but i honestly dont know.

oil? i was running rotella 15w-40 to get proper oil pressure in the summer, and now that its winter ive changed over to 5w-30. it revs faster/easier, so i know there is less stress on the oil pump/rotating assembly. its a small change but i did notice long ago that it did affect the gas mileage.
Old 12-25-2015, 09:28 AM

I have not removed the injectors, I should probably do that and see what they look like. Currently in des moines with the gf at her dad's house kind of thinking what to do next.

One thing we talked about was driving to Portland. We have a friend that recently moved out there as a TV reporter and I made sure last year while he was in Albuquerque to visit. We had a great time and I'm looking forward to visiting him out there, so gas mileage is pretty high on the list of things to not necessarily fix, but increase. Other than that I haven't done much but drive it.

Quick Reply: kelvin 1989 4runner build