86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

irab88's 1993 PickUp Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 04:46 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Ooohh, new shoes! lol

I'm a BFG fan, obviously... but they're pretty loud(the ones you've posted). I would guess that the first pic would be the least 'annoying' in the 'BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR' DEPT! hehe.

My BFG AT/KO 31's are almost SILENT.... Ok, not silent, but very quiet.

Best wishes on the hunt!
Old 12-13-2011, 05:06 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I know that you've been looking at new tires but if you're not ready to get them yet I would think that that tire is repairable.

I think the top goodyears would be the quietest. I know the BFG's aren't super quiet. I think all of them are quieter than my treadwrights, lol.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:09 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by RMP8080
studed tire............
uuuh, yup. stud's pointing the wrong way, though
Originally Posted by wannayotamonster
ive never had a set of quiet good years and theyve all lived up to there name good for A year the bfg's will be a bit louder but all around worth it (thats my next set). what size are you doin? id recomend at least 31's with stock gears thet will be fine no dramatic loss of mpg's im runnin 32's and the last all hwy trip i did i got 23.5 mpg but im also not ext. cab
yep, 31x10.5r15.

also, don't buy bfg long trail t/a's (not to be confused with long trail radials)
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Ooohh, new shoes! lol

I'm a BFG fan, obviously... but they're pretty loud(the ones you've posted). I would guess that the first pic would be the least 'annoying' in the 'BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR' DEPT! hehe.

My BFG AT/KO 31's are almost SILENT.... Ok, not silent, but very quiet.

Best wishes on the hunt!
from what i've read, the dura-trac's have a great tread pattern, but poor sidewalls, the km2's are great off road, but loud(er) on road, and the mt-r's are nice but a bit spendy. but, these are the three i've narrowed it down to, and i'm leaning towards the mt-r's.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The dura-trac have good tread but side wall is 2 ply not very good, the kevlar goodyear are a very heavy tire and the sucks gas, all in all the bfg have good tread pattern and side and not heavy. so your best bet would be the bfg tires.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by JBurt
I know that you've been looking at new tires but if you're not ready to get them yet I would think that that tire is repairable.

I think the top goodyears would be the quietest. I know the BFG's aren't super quiet. I think all of them are quieter than my treadwrights, lol.
my tires are pretty worn. good bit of safe tread left, but the way the tread is designed is such that there is less of it as it gets worn. sure, it's great for dry roads, but i've had a hell of a time trying to keep the back end on wet pavement. every stoplight and every sharp turn suck, and it'll only get worse, right up until the snow hits. then it's just wretched.

ok, enough of that. i don't know if it's my driving style or what, but these tires have only been on the truck for 40k, and they seem to only have ~5k til the warning "bump"? >sigh< early krismus gift to the truck i guess.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:30 PM
Contributing Member

I would go with BFG AT's for long wear and load handling... I would have bought another set this time but I went with the Hercules Avalanche Extreme to get better Ice/Snow handling in a dedicated Winter Tire... I found the BFG ATs gave me excellent 3 season performance around here... where you are I'm sure they'd work year round...
If you're sticking with the stock 15" rim you'll find your choices are getting very limited these days.. fewer and fewer tire makers are supporting that size...
I'd consider saving your cash for now if it's not critical... you can get a diy patch kit for under $20 just about anywhere and they make a great stocking stuffer... You should have one in the trailer anyway just in case...
Old 12-14-2011, 04:49 AM

thanks for that, but i'm staying away from at's. i've read that they suck in snow, and we get a bit of snow around here. enough to make it an awful place to drive around. and i frequent the mountains of pennsylvania, so i know there's probably snow awaiting me right now.

though, i can always plug the tire and sell them for a decent price. sets of 5 are high value around here
Old 12-14-2011, 06:22 AM
Contributing Member

Well if you get snow [did'nt think VA got that much that often lol] why not try a set of Avalanches like I got... can't say from personal experience yet but I did a fair bit of research before I pulled the trigger and everyone seemed to say they were a good buy with excellent snow/ice and wet handling and good wear... one poster reported using his yr round for several yrs with no ill effects... [but that was Alta.] and it gets a lot warmer/longer down in VA.
As for the BFG ATs I found them to be very good in snow for me it was their ice performance I found wanting... with global warming we seem to be getting a lot more ice/freeze rain events then snow these days... that and the city clears away the snow that would provide some grip and leaves the ice behind...
Old 12-14-2011, 08:51 AM

Nice input, Paul. My buddy is calling from Oregon asking me for info on tires, especially where he is(snow heavy in winter).

I hear ya, Ian..... There are a couple studies out there, I think done by 4WheelMagazine or something(I think I saw Ted of engnbldr commenting on it) that discusses the best tires in snow, every year doing a study/review. I know the MT's, from what I've read, have a serious issue with ice(less rubber meeting the proverbial road). AT's of some brands are really good, but others were not. My buddy has BFG Long Trial TA's and has great results in the snow up in Northern WA, plus he gets great mileage and low road noise. Anyway, ...I know you're looking for the 'jack of all trades' tire... and that can be tough, as you do a bit of Mud/Boggy Creeks/Trails as well/lots of rain in PA(right?), etc.. I owned the Long Trials on my white 4Runner(86), 31's, and they did fantastic through the sierras in winter and summer, great on highway, etc. I'm sure there is an even better "moderate" version like the Long Trial with other brands, ..... and you'll find it.

Edit, just read what you said about the Long Trials..... Interesting... I've notices that they look NOTHING like they did back when i got them...and I went off road ALL YEAR ROUND with them and never had an issue. That was in 1997-99 or so. Hmmmm.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 12-14-2011 at 08:53 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Ian. I would either go with the Duratracs or the MTR's.

I am definitely more partial to the MTR's because that is what I am running but I have heard good things about the Duratracs.

I have had my MTR's for a while not and I really can't say enough good things about them. Are they heavy? Yes. Are they a littly noisy on the road? Yes. Are they a little pricey? Yes. Are they the best tire that I have ever had? YES. I have taken my MTR's in a number of different terrains: snow, rain, mud, sand, rock, etc. and they have been able to handle everything that I can throw at them. The one terrain that I haven't really encountered is ice. I have taken them in snowpacked and snowcovered roads, but I don't think there was a whole lot of ice so I can't really speak to their abilities on ice. So far, I really have no complaints about my MTR's. I hope this helps and good luck!
Old 12-14-2011, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by aviator
Well if you get snow [did'nt think VA got that much that often lol] why not try a set of Avalanches like I got... can't say from personal experience yet but I did a fair bit of research before I pulled the trigger and everyone seemed to say they were a good buy with excellent snow/ice and wet handling and good wear... one poster reported using his yr round for several yrs with no ill effects... [but that was Alta.] and it gets a lot warmer/longer down in VA.
As for the BFG ATs I found them to be very good in snow for me it was their ice performance I found wanting... with global warming we seem to be getting a lot more ice/freeze rain events then snow these days... that and the city clears away the snow that would provide some grip and leaves the ice behind...
i also don't have much space to store a second set of tires, so while that would be a great idea if i lived further north (where snow is from oct through apr), not too practical here. thanks, though.

Nice input, Paul. My buddy is calling from Oregon asking me for info on tires, especially where he is(snow heavy in winter).

I hear ya, Ian..... There are a couple studies out there, I think done by 4WheelMagazine or something(I think I saw Ted of engnbldr commenting on it) that discusses the best tires in snow, every year doing a study/review. I know the MT's, from what I've read, have a serious issue with ice(less rubber meeting the proverbial road). AT's of some brands are really good, but others were not. My buddy has BFG Long Trial TA's and has great results in the snow up in Northern WA, plus he gets great mileage and low road noise. Anyway, ...I know you're looking for the 'jack of all trades' tire... and that can be tough, as you do a bit of Mud/Boggy Creeks/Trails as well/lots of rain in PA(right?), etc.. I owned the Long Trials on my white 4Runner(86), 31's, and they did fantastic through the sierras in winter and summer, great on highway, etc. I'm sure there is an even better "moderate" version like the Long Trial with other brands, ..... and you'll find it.

Edit, just read what you said about the Long Trials..... Interesting... I've notices that they look NOTHING like they did back when i got them...and I went off road ALL YEAR ROUND with them and never had an issue. That was in 1997-99 or so. Hmmmm.
there are 2 different "long-trail" tires:

the good ones that are good all around:

and the ones i'm complaining about:

the reviews for the latter of the two are mixed, yet biased to on-road use only. the first tire has good reviews in every area (but not enough tread for my tastes this time around)

Originally Posted by 4ever4running
Hey Ian. I would either go with the Duratracs or the MTR's.

I am definitely more partial to the MTR's because that is what I am running but I have heard good things about the Duratracs.

I have had my MTR's for a while not and I really can't say enough good things about them. Are they heavy? Yes. Are they a littly noisy on the road? Yes. Are they a little pricey? Yes. Are they the best tire that I have ever had? YES. I have taken my MTR's in a number of different terrains: snow, rain, mud, sand, rock, etc. and they have been able to handle everything that I can throw at them. The one terrain that I haven't really encountered is ice. I have taken them in snowpacked and snowcovered roads, but I don't think there was a whole lot of ice so I can't really speak to their abilities on ice. So far, I really have no complaints about my MTR's. I hope this helps and good luck!
thank you!
Old 12-15-2011, 05:12 PM

i would get the mickey thompson baja mtz's i got the 31x10.50xr15 on my truck and they arent that loud.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:32 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts
Hey Ian- as far as AT's in the snow- I was stationed in Alaska and up state NY..snows a bit in both places..I had BFG AT's on my '84, did fine in the snow
Old 12-16-2011, 07:39 AM

Hey Ian, .... YES, that makes sense. The upper ones are MORE LIKE/but not exactly like the ones I had back in 90's. They had a large center grove with channels-outward and larger gaps between knobs(Not huge, just a LIL wider gap.) However, those look similar, and they did GREAT pretty much anywhere I went.

PS> My Long Trials had a VERY deep tread.... They seemed even deeper than my AT's, to be honest. Not sure if they're still that deep a tread.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 12-16-2011 at 07:42 AM.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:01 AM

hey ian, been a while since i checked your thread, lookin good! i have always been a fan of the bfg mud terrians, had them on my s-10 and they were a great all around tire, never had experiance in snow with them though, they also wearnt to loud, good luck in the tire search, wish i lived around yall, theres no flordia wheelers down here!
Old 12-18-2011, 05:38 AM

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f172...2/index10.html

and my front yard display:

Old 12-18-2011, 06:23 AM
Contributing Member

Hey good looking garden railroad... nice twist on the train set around the tree theme...
I see the roadbed work that a permanent oval or just seasonal?
Old 12-18-2011, 06:38 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Nice display, doesn't surprise me, your a huge train nut. But, what do you do when it snows? Is that a plow on the front of the engine? lol.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:56 AM

Very cool! I likey!
Old 12-18-2011, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by aviator
Hey good looking garden railroad... nice twist on the train set around the tree theme...
I see the roadbed work that a permanent oval or just seasonal?
seasonal. all the track is mounted in sections, so we just unscrew 10 places and put it in the basement
Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
Nice display, doesn't surprise me, your a huge train nut. But, what do you do when it snows? Is that a plow on the front of the engine? lol.
shovel it out! it can handle anything while running, and up to ~1" if it's already down. any deeper (like the snow storm last year) and we shovel it out and turn it on
Very cool! I likey!
thanks guys!! it's a nice feeling when the neighborhood kids come around and watch it. even trick-or-treaters ask, "are you going to have the train this year?"

Quick Reply: irab88's 1993 PickUp Build-Up Thread