86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

irab88's 1993 PickUp Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 09:40 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
i have no need for it anymore. it'd be a hassle to keep it around, find someone to help put it on the truck, take the tool box off, move the stuff around, etc...

plus, i have the trailer for camping
Old 08-21-2011, 10:37 AM

ok guys, i need your help on bed liners.

while i'll probably go with a plastic drop-in (cost and ease of installation), i want to keep my options open.

what would you recommend as far as roll/spray-in liners? i've seen the buckets in the stores, but i've heard stories about the durability of some products.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:44 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
As I remember, I think Line-X(???) is the best. But I'm just quoting a thread on here that was arguing over that for PAGES! lol. Can't remember the title, sorry Ian. I guess lineX does the bumper coatings, etc., etc., etc.? And, I think it's REALLY expensive, lol.(200$ for 2 bumpers?) Can't remember, sorry. But, I'm sure you'll get some people who've tested em all to chime in.

My buddy back east says that the Plastic ones cause bad rusting underneath themselves.??? Maybe that Rhino Liner stuff or Gorilla might be better...then you can just touch it up when need be?
Old 08-21-2011, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would go roll on or spray in bed liner like Chef says. Those plastic ones suck and they DO cause rust in the bed.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:01 PM

i have to disagree on them causing rust. i have one in there now, and it's been in there for at least 4 years without a cap. and no rust at all.

here's some pics after i got my cap. notice the lack of rust

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ianrab/5017078567/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ianrab/5017078561/
Old 08-21-2011, 12:05 PM

Hmmm, I guess it just depends on the liner people get. Maybe if they get compromised they let water in or something? I think he told me that he's in the snow a lot and when he slept in there he thought the condensation that pulls through gets the bed wet and over time it rusts.

Anyhow, ...that's good you have no rust! And, it might be a pretty telling result that could help you decide to just keep that liner in there? 'If it works...', right? I think they look good.... My dad has a really nice rubber one in his, he loves that, too... it doesn't let things slide I guess?
Old 08-21-2011, 12:07 PM

Oh, and his rubber one? It is custom for his tundra, and it has thicker rubber where the bed pleats are, so it's perfectly flat.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:07 PM

Not bad then. I was jus sayin cuz the bed on my dads F350 rusted out from the bed liner. But since you have had good luck with it run it haha
Old 08-21-2011, 12:08 PM

PS> Could it be that the Shell has kept your bed so nice over this time, at least in part? lol.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:25 PM

If you've never had any trouble with a plastic liner, it's definitely the cheapest way to go, and quickly removable. The biggest problem with those comes from junk getting trapped under it for extended amounts of time, and causing rust. I've seen more than a few really rusty truck beds because of those liners. As far as spray on liners, I've been doing a lot of reading on the subject, and it seems you really get what you pay for. Of the ones I've seen in real life, Line-x and Rino liner look and feel the best, and seem to have really good customer reviews. A buddy of mine had his bed done with Rhino liner 5 years ago, and the bed still looks great. The do it yourself liners like herculiner and duplex, etc. get very mixed reviews, which I'm sure can mostly be chalked up to the fact that (unprofessional) people are doing it themselves. There are more than one type of diy bedliner, as well, the one part types, and the more complex two part types that have the rubber and hardner separate. From what I can see, the one part types seem to end up with a much harder (less rubbery) finish than the two part types. Also, most of the diy liners can be sprayed on with an undercoat gun. It's easier to find opinions than actual information on the subject, but after reading up on different rubberized bed liners the conclusion I've come to is: If money's no object Rhino liner or Line-x seem to be the best way to go. If money is an issue (and when isn't it) but you're still hoping for a nice finish, find a good two part bed liner that you can spray on with an undercoat gun. I'm not sure if the gun can be saved afterwards.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:32 PM

It's probably obvious to most people, but maybe it should be mentioned that the spray on liners are not reversible without a ton of work. They really are meant to be permanent. There's a video of Rhino liner on youtube where they set off a bomb under the truck and the spray on liner keeps the bed intact. The video is made by Rhino liner, and should be chalked up as propaganda/sales pitch, but I still wouldn't want to try to scrape the stuff off later.

This might also go without saying but: the plastic liners are easy as crap. They just drop in, and some have a few fasteners here and there. The spray on liners require you to take a wire wheel to your truck bed fairly aggressively until most of the paint has been scuffed or removed. If that's factory paint on your truck bed I'd understand not wanting to do this as, once again, the process isn't easily reversible.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
PS> Could it be that the Shell has kept your bed so nice over this time, at least in part? lol.
nope. the liner was in there when we got the truck in '07. it was then removed in '10 to make way for the cap. the reason i need a new one is that i cut mine up to make way for the clamps, so it's not that sturdy/protective anymore.

dutch: thanks a billion for that info. and i agree with stuff getting trapped in there. number one: acorns. number two: sheet metal screws
Old 08-21-2011, 01:06 PM

Have you shopped around "in store" anywhere, Ian? My dad was going to get just a plastic slide in one... but he ended up with the rubber/flat bottom one cuz he hauls stuff AND wants anti-skid. It's rubber, but it somehow fits firmly in the back? I think it's one Toyota Offered him at the Dealer(he has a buddy in PHX at a dealer).

You'll pick the right one for you, you always do a very nice job...

PS> Total tangent.... Any choice on WHICH tires? MT or AT? Just curious, lol.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:56 PM

thanks

PS> Total tangent.... Any choice on WHICH tires? MT or AT? Just curious, lol.
uh, for what? my next set? i was lookin' at dura-tracs, but new tires aren't for a while.

Last edited by irab88; 08-21-2011 at 01:58 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:33 PM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
A bed liner will cause rust. It is constantly vibrating against the paint wearing it off. If you take it out once a season to clean and inspectyou could prolong the bed life. You are looking for another bed in the future anyhow.
I like the plastic ones better because you can throw heavy objects in the bed and not worry about gouging it or causing dents and dings. Spray ons are a very thick paint with no structural integrity to prevent the above mentioned.
If you aren't throwing stuff in and hauling junk, the spray on look the nicest and have no issue of wearing paint off.
Just my .02$
Old 08-21-2011, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by irab88
thanks

uh, for what? my next set? i was lookin' at dura-tracs, but new tires aren't for a while.
As I said, total tangent, lol.... And for a visual in my mind of how your rig'll be sportin new shoes! THOSE ARE NICE! Like the look of em! I like those general grabbers, too... but WOW, not cheap. I saw a cooper MT/AT the other day, very aggressive tread on the side wall and top.... Looked kinda likea copy of the Nitto Grappler MT's... and they're like 130$ or something... not bad.

Anyway, was just curious... Whatever ones you put on will look nice, I'm sure. Tires are a big purchase... and aside from you're not needing them yet.... You're gonna have em a long time, so why not MAKE SURE, right? lol.

I've been searching CL every day for a used set of 33x10.50's or 32x11.50 MT's.... Maybe even 33x12.50's..... But they are HIGH if they think people are gonna pay what they're asking! lol. Plus, they almost always have Jeep rims or something, lol.... "Jeep Pro Comp Super Xtreme Deluxe, paid 1000 for the rims, sell all 5 for 1000 w/tires with 90% tread!" ... GREAT DEAL.... if I had a jeep! lol.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:41 PM

i did find a great deal on 5 33-12.5's on chrome steelies about a week before rausche creek, went out to see them, but decided against them. i think one had a slight leak (like, 1 lb a day) and another had a torn up sidewall.

unless i stumble upon a great deal, these will work just fine. and for winter, if we get any heavy snow, chains and possibly my locker should work fine.

and since we're on a tangent already, let's go one tangent deeper... i picked up a grinder today. that means i'm one step closer to doing my own fab work!

Last edited by irab88; 08-21-2011 at 05:42 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:54 PM

My dad was going to get just a plastic slide in one... but he ended up with the rubber/flat bottom one cuz he hauls stuff AND wants anti-skid. It's rubber, but it somehow fits firmly in the back? I think it's one Toyota Offered him at the Dealer(he has a buddy in PHX at a dealer).
You've got me curious Chef, I don't think I've seen a liner like you've described. It's like a plastic formed/removable liner, only made of rubber?

Also RBX: the plastic liners shouldn't be vibrating much against the paint if you get one of the ones with fasteners to avoid that happening. The one's without fasteners are pretty much junk, IMHO, because the side walls tend to curl into the bed and get caught on everything while you're trying to load up. X2 on pulling them out at least once a season to clean, though. Also, a good spray on liner is amazingly resistant to dents and gouges, judging from my buddy's bed. He works for a general contractor, and regularly loads up with rough and heavy objects like bricks, blocks, tools, etc. His bed still looks solid. I'm not saying this to disrespect your post, I'm actually hoping you can clarify your experiences, because I'm still planning on doing bedliner from tailgate to firewall on my truck. If you've got first hand experience with a bad product/brand, I'd like to hear about it.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:50 AM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Dutch, I'll try to clarify, thanks for bringing that up.
My experience with a good liner, mounted hardware, is that thing still moves. Even if you can't see it every time the truck is running the whole rig vibrates. The liners I am refering to mount at the bed rails and some I think can mount from the tie downs, that leaves the floor floating sort of, and that tiny vibration wears the paint down. Now add some small debrit like sand and dirt that makes it's way thru any gaps or holes and that stuff becomes a vibrating palm sander if you will.
Now add water that gets trapped under the liner, possibly salt spray from winter. Driving here in the rust belt and you get accelerated corrosion. I'm not saying this process happens overnight, but out of 3 yotas I've own this is my experience. However, I have never had a bed rust a hole thru the floor.
If I were going to get a snap in liner I would probably pull it once a season and spray the inside with some POR-15 on any exposed metal. Everyones results may very, these are my experiences.

Last edited by RBX; 08-22-2011 at 05:52 AM.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:54 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
I've seen the same thing as RBX is sayin and was gonna reply with the same issues with the drop in liners, even the OEM ones.

Quick Reply: irab88's 1993 PickUp Build-Up Thread